2018-2019 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the question on the most important honor, do y'all think I can talk about a leadership position I received? It is certainly my most valued accomplishment, but it's not "scholastic" as the heading states

Members don't see this ad.

For the question on the most important honor, do y'all think I can talk about a leadership position I received? It is certainly my most valued accomplishment, but it's not "scholastic" as the heading states

I'm also struggling with this one. An organization I'm very passionate about received an award while I was an officer for it so I was considering using that. But I didn't receive it myself, it was the organization as a whole. Other than that idk what else to use.

I did read online that you can broaden the definition of honor to something else like getting great feedback from a professor for a TA position or being made lead of a project in a lab due to hard work as examples.

On another note: I'm also struggling with the first question about non academic activity. For me it would be a sport but I only played club (although it was competitive and we had a travel team) and not on the actual college team so not sure how serious that would look. I have played my entire life and varsity in high school if that counts for anything. Would that work?

Hi everybody! Two questions:

1) This may be silly, but when creating letter entries, what does AMCAS mean by "Is the author associated with a school?" One of my letter writers (work supervisor) is a USC alumni. Would she qualify as "associated"?

2) Would it be bad to talk about religion (I'm Catholic) as the one most important non-academic activity?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just added today. Was shocked i never received a secondary and just realized I applied to Drew and not Geffen :bag:

I'm also struggling with this one. An organization I'm very passionate about received an award while I was an officer for it so I was considering using that. But I didn't receive it myself, it was the organization as a whole. Other than that idk what else to use.

I did read online that you can broaden the definition of honor to something else like getting great feedback from a professor for a TA position or being made lead of a project in a lab due to hard work as examples.

On another note: I'm also struggling with the first question about non academic activity. For me it would be a sport but I only played club (although it was competitive and we had a travel team) and not on the actual college team so not sure how serious that would look. I have played my entire life and varsity in high school if that counts for anything. Would that work?
Yes that sounds great. You don't need to be an Olympian to learn something meaningful in sports

Reactions: 1 user
I think this would be fine. The focus is on why it's important to you, not the nature of the "honor"

Hi everybody! Two questions:

1) This may be silly, but when creating letter entries, what does AMCAS mean by "Is the author associated with a school?" One of my letter writers (work supervisor) is a USC alumni. Would she qualify as "associated"?

2) Would it be bad to talk about religion (I'm Catholic) as the one most important non-academic activity?
1.) I think they mean is the letter writer currently associated with a university, like a professor or researcher in a university lab. I think the vast majority of letter writers have at least an associates degree, so it would be kind of strange to ask the question if they wanted anyone who has graduated from a school.

2.) Religion is fine but make sure you make your essay about why it's meaningful/what you gain from it other than just "I love Jesus"

Is it worth for me to add UCLA now to my primary? Just got an II at one of the other UC’s (OOS from the South, no super strong ties), but I never added UCLA because the secondary was too long and I was concerned about their high stat fixation.
I can't speak to your chances but I'll say the secondary is not as bad as it seems due to the low character counts. If you're applying prime though it definitely gets tougher

Just got one today

Same but im oos and submitted my primary here yesterday morning

Guess it’s safe to assume that I got screened out then. :/ Tempted to email and ask, but I guess you win some and lose some. Sounds like a great program with amazing scholarship opportunities, wish they would have given me a chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guess it’s safe to assume that I got screened out then. :/ Tempted to email and ask, but I guess you win some and lose some. Sounds like a great program with amazing scholarship opportunities, wish they would have given me a chance.

I'm not so sure. The UC's have had some wonky secondary timelines so I wouldn't count yourself out just yet. Also wouldn't they send a rejection if you were screened out? I'm not sure on that but just what you'd expect

I'm not so sure. The UC's have had some wonky secondary timelines so I wouldn't count yourself out just yet. Also wouldn't they send a rejection if you were screened out? I'm not sure on that but just what you'd expect
Do you mind sharing your stats?

When were you verified? I was verified 8/6 and some of my schools did not receive primaries until 8/10. I called UCLA today, and they said my primary is under review. It seems to me very, very random.

When were you verified? I was verified 8/6 and some of my schools did not receive primaries until 8/10. I called UCLA today, and they said my primary is under review. It seems to me very, very random.

Verified 6/26

For those who have already submitted the secondary, are your letters of rec verified yet? Mines still said "not received".

Verified 6/26

I was verified 6/13 and had Geffen on my list from the beginning. Since I've received a secondary from most of the other UCs, I was getting nervous that perhaps this one went to my junk mail, so I called this afternoon. As others stated, still under review. Very nice folks on the other end of the line. She gave mid-September as my window for when some kind of notification might come out as either Secondary :) or Not Interested:(

Reactions: 1 users
I was verified 6/13 and had Geffen on my list from the beginning. Since I've received a secondary from most of the other UCs, I was getting nervous that perhaps this one went to my junk mail, so I called this afternoon. As others stated, still under review. Very nice folks on the other end of the line. She gave mid-September as my window for when some kind of notification might come out as either Secondary :) or Not Interested:(

Nice to know. We’re in this together! :)

How heavy do they screen primaries? I got a secondary just a couple days after being verified and am wondering if there is any info on their secondary: ii ratio

I got complete early August and still nothing. I'm going to keep hoping, and if I get that secondary best believe i'll gun for the interview. All this waiting has to count for something /cries

I was complete August 1st and just received a secondary today! It'll come :)

Applying MSTP. I was verified in early July and still haven't received a secondary.. Wondering if my chances are done

Questions about the secondary!
(1) For the question that asks about your most important non-academic activity, what is everyone writing about? I am an involved musician throughout my university and my community, but I come from a family of music teachers who classify music as academia and I can't really write about that as being non-academic with a clean conscience. I had a paid internship at a med school that I was very important to me and I think I could write about, but would that be considered an academic activity? I just want to avoid writing something and having whoever reads my app think "well she blatantly didn't follow the prompt"

(2) For the question about a unique leadership experience, while I was in college I was a volunteer music teacher and I worked with a couple of high school drumlines in my area. I was kind of a mentor to them, not just in terms of music, but many of them were applying to college and such and I had been there, done that. I guess my question is would this be acceptable leadership or should I focus more on leading a group of my peers? I was also in a leadership position in college band that I could write about instead, but I feel that mentoring the high schoolers would make for a more powerful answer.

Any input helps, thanks!

(1) For the question that asks about your most important non-academic activity, what is everyone writing about? I am an involved musician throughout my university and my community, but I come from a family of music teachers who classify music as academia and I can't really write about that as being non-academic with a clean conscience. I had a paid internship at a med school that I was very important to me and I think I could write about, but would that be considered an academic activity? I just want to avoid writing something and having whoever reads my app think "well she blatantly didn't follow the prompt"

(2) For the question about a unique leadership experience, while I was in college I was a volunteer music teacher and I worked with a couple of high school drumlines in my area. I was kind of a mentor to them, not just in terms of music, but many of them were applying to college and such and I had been there, done that. I guess my question is would this be acceptable leadership or should I focus more on leading a group of my peers? I was also in a leadership position in college band that I could write about instead, but I feel that mentoring the high schoolers would make for a more powerful answer.

Any input helps, thanks!
I think the experience you describe in your 2nd question would be perf for the leadership thing. Teaching/mentoring is certainly a form of leadership!

And for your first q, Idk if this would be too morally treacherous for you but if you can make it work with the character count I think you can use the music thing and spin your answer to talk about how many people may consider it a non-academic activity in the traditional sense of the word, but you were raised to respect music in a unique way and blah blah so it’s meaningful to you for those reasons. I think the purpose of the question is to discover an applicant’s passion outside of the typical classroom/research stuff, so I def think they’ll appreciate you talking about it

Last edited:
MSTP folks: if my research interests are primarily at UCLA and not Caltech, do you think it would be appropriate to list "N/A" under "Specific Areas of Interests at Caltech"? I thought this field would be optional, but the page isnt complete unless you enter something. Wondering if the "N/A" would be a red flag/if they're looking for people with interests at both institutions.

MSTP folks: if my research interests are primarily at UCLA and not Caltech, do you think it would be appropriate to list "N/A" under "Specific Areas of Interests at Caltech"? I thought this field would be optional, but the page isnt complete unless you enter something. Wondering if the "N/A" would be a red flag/if they're looking for people with interests at both institutions.

This is what I did

It’s fine to not express any interest in CalTech. Same at USC. They probably only need the info to match you with faculty

Recently threw my name in the hat. Hope I get the secondary soon and that I have a chance as OOS.

Does everyone who applied PRIME get a secondary for PRIME?

No, I don't think so. I believe only selected applicants will get a secondary. Last year, a number of high stats applicants who applied to PRIME did not get a secondary.

No, I don't think so. I believe only selected applicants will get a secondary. Last year, a number of high stats applicants who applied to PRIME did not get a secondary.
Yeah I saw that from last year. I got the secondary for PRIME but they didn't say anything about it in the email they sent for the secondary, I just had an additional tab for it when I opened the portal. I imagine it is much more than stats, as mine are not that great. Thanks for the reply!

I'm pre-writing in the hopes that I get a secondary once I'm verified. For the most important non-academic activity, do you think it's appropriate to write about being a mom? That is the honest answer to the question for me, but I'm wondering if that's not quite what they're looking for. Any thoughts?

I'm pre-writing in the hopes that I get a secondary once I'm verified. For the most important non-academic activity, do you think it's appropriate to write about being a mom? That is the honest answer to the question for me, but I'm wondering if that's not quite what they're looking for. Any thoughts?
I think that would be a unique and touching answer and definitely would showcase some of your personal traits that will help in medicine!

Hi all, just wanted your thoughts. For the most important non-academic activity, would it be interesting to write about becoming an older brother to a recently adopted family member? I didn't discuss this on my primary app. My other important activities I've kind of discussed in my other prompts.

with this it might be hard for you to come up with something that can highlight your achievement but doesn't sound cliche, everyone is supposed to be a good parent. but ive heard from some AdCom here say that many people write about this so

Is it worth sending in my secondary here with low end stats? Im OOS, cGPA 3.6 (large upward trend), sGPA 3.45 (large upward trend with avg 3.8 in my major and 3.77 the last 2 years), 511 MCAT. About 2000 hours of research and an abstract an an international conference and also have my ECs focused around the LGBT community and people affected with HIV. I have a lot of non medically related activities like sports, fitness, and art.

Do you guys think I’ve been passed over? Verified on 6/21, received all other UCs besides LA and Davis. In state, 69 LM.

Do you guys think I’ve been passed over? Verified on 6/21, received all other UCs besides LA and Davis. In state, 69 LM.
Nobody really understands how the UC's get things done, I am in the same boat as you (LizzyM: 69, IS) but havent received UCLA, Davis or UCSF. I was also just verified on 8/7. I say just buckle up and hold on for the ride

Nobody really understands how the UC's get things done, I am in the same boat as you (LizzyM: 69, IS) but havent received UCLA, Davis or UCSF. I was also just verified on 8/7. I say just buckle up and hold on for the ride
I am OOS and got UCSF but nada from UCLA yet. Last year I got UCLA before UCSF so who knows

Do we know when UCLA starts sending out II? Does anyone know if they’re receptive to ITA requests ?

Would the admissions committee mind a call checking to see if I missed the cut for the secondary? I was verified on June 21.

Any input helps, thanks!
What does being an "involved musician" entail? Is there nothing you do with music that is not considered academic? Medicine is "academia" as well in many contexts, but volunteering at a free clinic would be considered a perfectly acceptable response for this prompt. To classify all of music as academia is simply a misunderstanding of what academic means.

Hi all, just wanted your thoughts. For the most important non-academic activity, would it be interesting to write about becoming an older brother to a recently adopted family member? I didn't discuss this on my primary app. My other important activities I've kind of discussed in my other prompts.
This would be a tricky response but could be very unique. You would need to focus on what you actively do to go above and beyond standard "family responsibilities"