2018-2019 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Primary app will be verified in a couple of days. So excited! I am almost done pre-writing this secondary. Hoping to receive a secondary and submit this bad boy.

Members don't see this ad.

Would the admissions committee mind a call checking to see if I missed the cut for the secondary? I was verified on June 21.

I think they prefer email when they are super busy.

But also, I was verified early June and also have heard nothing. I called earlier this week because I too was worried - perhaps a secondary invite went to junk mail and was auto-removed before I thought to check. Very helpful folks on the other end of the line reassured me that I had not missed anything, still under review and she added that email is preferred for questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted secondary late July. Hopefully we start hearing back soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to be clear, UCLA doesn't want you to submit your LORs via AMCAS until they request them right? All my other schools needed them before they marked my app complete, so I assigned them when I submitted my primary. So for UCLA though, I shouldn't send until I get a secondary invite?

Just to be clear, UCLA doesn't want you to submit your LORs via AMCAS until they request them right? All my other schools needed them before they marked my app complete, so I assigned them when I submitted my primary. So for UCLA though, I shouldn't send until I get a secondary invite?
I submitted mine with the primary and got a secondary... not sure about this

I've been verified since 7/12 and still no secondary... anyone else in the same boat?

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I saw that from last year. I got the secondary for PRIME but they didn't say anything about it in the email they sent for the secondary, I just had an additional tab for it when I opened the portal. I imagine it is much more than stats, as mine are not that great. Thanks for the reply!

So only certain people get the PRIME tab on their secondary? I thought everyone got it?

So only certain people get the PRIME tab on their secondary? I thought everyone got it?
that's what I was trying to figure out too! I applied to PRIME through the primary, but not sure if they screen for that separately

that's what I was trying to figure out too! I applied to PRIME through the primary, but not sure if they screen for that separately

Same! I think the people with the PRIME tab in the secondary probably indicated so on the primary.

I applied MD/MPH, is that what you mean by applying through the primary? Is the PRIME program the only way to get that dual degree at UCLA?

I applied MD/MPH, is that what you mean by applying through the primary? Is the PRIME program the only way to get that dual degree at UCLA?
I would suggest looking back at your application to see what you chose. Go to medical schools and click "Edit" to see the options you entered. You would have to choose PRIME for MPH

Members don't see this ad :)
Question about the UCLA MSTP supplemental app: when it asks for the "total number of hours spent on each project" in the section where you have to list your research experiences, did you just put the number of hours you worked in the lab or did you break it down project by project? I have no idea how much time I spent on each individual project in each lab I've worked in so.....

any other's letter not marked complete? I submitted weeks ago and the secondary is marking incomplete

Same. No love from the alma mater. I might call them today for feedback.

I believe the UCs are looking for fit than anything else. With that LM Im sure you will get accepted somewhere. Good luck with the rest of the cycle.

I believe the UCs are looking for fit than anything else. With that LM Im sure you will get accepted somewhere. Good luck with the rest of the cycle.

Thank you and I hope so. My gpa is a 3.3 so who knows if I'll make it lol. I've only gotten attention from SD but I feel like it could be a good fit (I have decent research experience)

Good luck to everyone still in the running. UCLA is an amazing school in one of the nicest areas in the country. I'm hoping to move back some day. All of the medical school professors who I have had as an undergraduate were engaging and passionate about teaching.

Rejected pre-secondary. Had received a secondary from them in years past (when my stats were much lower). IS, GPA 3.30, gradGPA 3.77, MCAT 509. Sucks to be a CA resident, but moving on!

Rejected pre-secondary. Had received a secondary from them in years past (when my stats were much lower). IS, GPA 3.30, gradGPA 3.77, MCAT 509. Sucks to be a CA resident, but moving on!

When were you complete?

having issues with the geffen competencies webpage. I noticed spanish is on the list of competencies. will they accept students with no spanish-speaking experience?

Realized I would regret it if I didn't at least throw in the primary here, so just added UCLA! Hoping its not too late but OOS so not holding on to much hope lol

for the work experiences section on the UCLA secondary, can our job descriptions be the same as in the AMCAS primary?

I just did I guess you can't. Some schools give you feedback but UCLA is apparently not one of them.
I called this morning and the lady I spoke to said that I could get application feedback via email, but when I emailed I was told UCLA doesn't offer it. Oh well...

so looks like pre-secondary Rs have started going out. I don't have a secondary or an R (MSTP). Is it worth sending an e-mail?
I think there’s still a lot of people waiting for the secondary, maybe give it another couple of weeks?

My LOR are still not marked as received yet either... Submitted secondary on 7/22. Should I reach out?

My LOR are still not marked as received yet either... Submitted secondary on 7/22. Should I reach out?
Mine aren't either. Submitted around the same time. Does anybody actually have their letters marked as received?

Does anyone know what order UCLA evaluates applicants for secondaries? I was verified 7/12 and never received a secondary. I also have not received an R yet so I'm not sure how to feel. Should I just continue waiting or send them an email?

edit: typo

Last edited:
Does anyone know what order UCLA evaluates applicants for secondaries? I was verified 7/12 and never received a secondary. I also have received an R yet so I'm not sure how to feel. Should I just continue waiting or send them an email?
I don't know the order they go in, but there's probably stratifying by stats or something else because I was verified 2 days before you but got the secondary a month ago

I don't know the order they go in, but there's probably stratifying by stats or something else because I was verified 2 days before you but got the secondary a month ago
I added UCLA to my primary and received a secondary within a week of adding. I don't think it's stats-based; this was a total reach school for me. I did not expect to receive a secondary.

I was verified 7/12 too, but no secondary. Should I email them? or wait patiently?

I added UCLA to my primary and received a secondary within a week of adding. I don't think it's stats-based; this was a total reach school for me. I did not expect to receive a secondary.
Well who knows how their process works then :oops: