2018-2019 University of California - San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH
This should be a true autobiographical statement. Topics to be included are family, childhood, primary and secondary school years, undergraduate years, and, if applicable, what you’ve done since completing your bachelor’s degree. You should also discuss the motivational factors which led you to a career in medicine including any disadvantages or obstacles which might put your accomplishments into context. A repeat of your AMCAS statement will not be acceptable.

Please note: if you are applying to the MD/PhD program, please include why you are specifically interested in seeking MD/PhD training at UCSD.

2. Please describe your interest in the PRIME-HEq program. Topics to include are longitudinal experiences that you’ve had with underserved communities, including the type of community that you’ve worked with and your level of involvement. Additionally, you should discuss the length of time that you’ve spent working in these communities. (OPTIONAL)

3. Global Health Academic Concentration: Please describe your interest in Global Health. The term Global Health can have many meanings; for our purposes, we find the definition provided by Koplan et. al. in their 2009 Lancet publication useful: “the area of study, research and practice that places a priority on improving health and achieving equity in health for all people worldwide”. In your essay, be sure to describe any personal or professional experiences that have shaped your interests, and how Global Health issues have influenced your decision to pursue a career in medicine. (OPTIONAL)

4. Please describe your interest in the MAS-Clinical Research program. Topics to include are your previous experience with clinical and/or translational research, your role within the research group, and what you envision for a career that includes clinical and/or translational research. A letter of recommendation from the individual supervising your previous experience is helpful but not required. (OPTIONAL)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of California San Diego School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Secondary received!

1. AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH
This should be a true autobiographical statement. Topics to be included are family, childhood, primary and secondary school years, undergraduate years, and, if applicable, what you’ve done since completing your bachelor’s degree. You should also discuss the motivational factors which led you to a career in medicine including any disadvantages or obstacles which might put your accomplishments into context. A repeat of your AMCAS statement will not be acceptable.

Please note: if you are applying to the MD/PhD program, please include why you are specifically interested in seeking MD/PhD training at UCSD.

2. Please describe your interest in the PRIME-HEq program. Topics to include are longitudinal experiences that you’ve had with underserved communities, including the type of community that you’ve worked with and your level of involvement. Additionally, you should discuss the length of time that you’ve spent working in these communities. (OPTIONAL)

3. Global Health Academic Concentration: Please describe your interest in Global Health. The term Global Health can have many meanings; for our purposes, we find the definition provided by Koplan et. al. in their 2009 Lancet publication useful: “the area of study, research and practice that places a priority on improving health and achieving equity in health for all people worldwide”. In your essay, be sure to describe any personal or professional experiences that have shaped your interests, and how Global Health issues have influenced your decision to pursue a career in medicine. (OPTIONAL)

4. Please describe your interest in the MAS-Clinical Research program. Topics to include are your previous experience with clinical and/or translational research, your role within the research group, and what you envision for a career that includes clinical and/or translational research. A letter of recommendation from the individual supervising your previous experience is helpful but not required. (OPTIONAL)

@gyngyn

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are they screening this year? I’m just shocked I got a secondary so fast lol

Secondary as well, surprised they came out so fast. I wonder if they're still screening this year or not

I’m impressed, I’ve never been asked to describe myself as somewhat masculine, equally feminine and masculine, etc. before :laugh:

Also received a secondary. Perhaps they're not screening this year?

Is there a character limit on the autobiography?

Edit: Just got an email. 6000 Character Limit.
From Email:
"It was subsequently discovered that we did not set a character limit for the "Autobiographical Sketch" portion of the application. It appears that you can submit with unlimited length for this essay, but we intended to have a limit of 6,000 characters."

Last edited:
Anyone else receive a secondary? IS LM 72 .. thought I would pass the secondary screening at least.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seconding does anyone know if there's a limit?

The UCSD Director of Admissions just sent out an email saying the lack of word limit was a mistake:

"It was subsequently discovered that we did not set a character limit for the "Autobiographical Sketch" portion of the application. It appears that you can submit with unlimited length for this essay, but we intended to have a limit of 6,000 characters.

With the 4th of July holiday, it is unlikely that we will have this corrected in our programming before Thursday, July 5.

You are welcome to submit your application, but we'd appreciate if you could use your word processing tools to do a character count to get the essay under 6,000 characters."

Considering it’s an autobiography, is it ok if this essay is boring as hell? I pretty much grew up “normal” lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
If we apply to PRIME-HEq and are not accepted, are we still considered for their regular MD program?

On the surface: I am sure I will be fine, they prob just sending out secondaries to people with higher stats first, it's ok.

Inside: OMG OMG Why have I not received a secondary? Am I not good enough? Why have I not receive a secondary? OMG are they silently rejecting me? OMG OMG

:slap:

Reactions: 2 users
Does it hurt if students don't select any of their dual-programs?

I haven't gotten a secondary yet, but I also don't have an MCAT score yet. Hopefully they didn't just trash my app lol.

I think they screen secondary based on MCAT and GPA, so you might have to wait till your score comes out to get that instant secondary. If you know what I mean ;)

Me on another hand... I think(Most likely because im freaking out inside) I have been screened out and now being queued for manual review... :unsure:

Reactions: 2 users
I think they screen secondary based on MCAT and GPA, so you might have to wait till your score comes out to get that instant secondary. If you know what I mean ;)

Me on another hand... I think(Most likely because im freaking out inside) I have been screened out and now being queued for manual review... :unsure:

Yeah I’m hoping they’re just waiting on my MCAT score lol. Don’t count yourself out yet!

When I upload my photo, the thumbnail looks blurry. Anyone else having this problem?

When I upload my photo, the thumbnail looks blurry. Anyone else having this problem?
It's all that jpeg...

But yes, the thumbnail is blurry. You can click it and it will open the full-resolution picture in another tab. Photos aren't a big concern anyway.

Anyone elae still waiting for this secondary :/ starting to wonder if I got screened out :( oos LizzyM 73 Its bummer since this was my alma mater

IS and lizzy 67 and got secondary a while ago

Does anyone know if the 6,000 character count includes spaces or not?

Hey any MSTP applicants check the box asking if you're interested in the separate MD/PhD dual degree program (or did I not read that correctly?). Because obviously I want to be considered for MSTP first, but if not I'd probably still be interested in a separate dual program...?

Secondary just now, honestly shocked bc my stats are low and even though I'm from SD I'm technically OOS now

Secondary received. OOS.

DW I am sure it will be fine!
Also got secondary
Can't really be sure about anything when it comes to med school admissions. Keep your hopes high but expectations low.