2018-2019 University of California - San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ACCEPTED!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
WL'd. Congrats, folks!

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted OOS just now!!! :D Hahaha beach life here I come!

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats to those who got accepted!! What were your interview dates?

Waitlisted, very disappointed. Any idea how much movement there is for this school? Wondering if I should hold my breath...

Also waitlisted :/
Bummed but on to the next one, I suppose! According to MSAR, they accept 27/300 from the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also waitlisted :/
Bummed but on to the next one, I suppose! According to MSAR, they accept 27/300 from the waitlist.

Geez. Why do they even put that many people on the waitlist if that’s the case?

Hi there! I received a "your file is complete and has been forwarded for review" exactly 8 weeks ago, but have heard nothing since (the email said it would take 2-6 weeks to hear back). Has anyone else had this happen to them and does it mean I should just write this school off as a hold? I'm OOS.
got an ii after >10 weeks, so there's hope!

Hi everyone!

Thrilled to have been accepted as OOS! However, I have some other acceptances, and I was wondering if anyone knows if you are able to switch to in-state tuition after a year, or if I'm doomed to 4 years of out of state tuition. I've heard this mentioned but never confirmed. Please help a lady out!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone!

Thrilled to have been accepted as OOS! However, I have some other acceptances, and I was wondering if anyone knows if you are able to switch to in-state tuition after a year, or if I'm doomed to 4 years of out of state tuition. I've heard this mentioned but never confirmed. Please help a lady out!

Yes! Current student here. You absolutely can switch to instate after a year of attendance and doing all the necessary dmv stuff. Admin will def help you figure it out.

Yes! Current student here. You absolutely can switch to instate after a year of attendance and doing all the necessary dmv stuff. Admin will def help you figure it out.

Thank you so so much! Wow this almost seems too good to be true.

Reactions: 1 user
PRIME applicant, submitted secondary Aug 20th. Still waiting. Congrats to everyone that received acceptances! Everyone else, hang in there, stay positive!

Just curious if the acceptances so far have only been OOS applicants? It appears that the IS applicants that have posted were rejected or WL post interview?

Just curious if the acceptances so far have only been OOS applicants? It appears that the IS applicants that have posted were rejected or WL post interview?

I'm IS and was accepted. I'm sure there are others

I am IS and was accepted :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone!

AYYY Haha we'll probably be amongst the 10 people who matriculate OOS lmao

My husband and I are hoping for a two bedroom through grad housing...at Rita Atkinson or Mesa. Is it even possible to get that before school starts? The website says the waitlist is pretty long, so I'm wondering if we should plan on temporary housing for the first bit of school.

My husband and I are hoping for a two bedroom through grad housing...at Rita Atkinson or Mesa. Is it even possible to get that before school starts? The website says the waitlist is pretty long, so I'm wondering if we should plan on temporary housing for the first bit of school.

It definitely is possible! You should put your move in date for an earlier date than when school actually begins to increase your chances. I’d recommend submitting your housing application ASAP even if you’re not sure you will come here, cause it does take a while to get off.

Are there any current students who can comment on the best on-campus living arrangements? In terms of both price and facilities.

Grad housing is relatively affordable compared to the other options in La Jolla! Rita is right on campus, which has its pros and cons. The other options are about a 15 minute walk away, but it’s a quick walk or you can take the school shuttle which most do and is about a 10 minite ride. Both Mesa and One Miramar Street allow pets; Mesa gives you slightly larger space but they are older facilities. Mesa Nueva is pretty new and a lot of students live there!

I personally live in Mesa and love it so far. I pay about $700 for a large single bedroom and shared bathroom, and there’s also a large living room and kitchen. Price includes parking and internet!

anyone verified in august receive a secondary? i still havent gotten one yet.

For folks who interviewed on 10/25, Brian Zeglen mentioned that we would find out today, right? Anyone know what time or has anyone heard anything?

For folks who interviewed on 10/25, Brian Zeglen mentioned that we would find out today, right? Anyone know what time or has anyone heard anything?
He definitely said today, I don’t believe he mentioned a time. Also there was an AAMC conference earlier this week so I wouldn’t be surprised if there were slight delays.

You're right!

Just received the following message:

Dear Applicant,

I apologize for going so long into today without any communication - I think I told you on your interview dates that we'd have news about your application status available today.

What I failed to anticipate was that because some of our faculty and staff were in Austin, Texas for the AAMC Annual Meeting over the last few days, the decisions on files discussed at our meeting on Monday evening are still not finalized. I appreciate your patience, and I feel bad I haven't yet reached out to you with an explanation.

Even so, I hope you can be patient for at least one more day - we should have some news for you tomorrow.

Brian Zeglen
Director of Admissions
UCSD School of Medicine

does anyone know if UCSD is receptive to post-hold updates?

From the email:

“Every year applicants ask us if they can provide updates on activities, or additional letters of recommendation, or “letters of intent.” Please do not send any additional materials – interview decisions will be based on the materials we have already received through the regular application processes.”

From the email:

“Every year applicants ask us if they can provide updates on activities, or additional letters of recommendation, or “letters of intent.” Please do not send any additional materials – interview decisions will be based on the materials we have already received through the regular application processes.”
ah i shouldve checked the email first, thank you!!

ACCEPTED!!! Interviewed on 10/30.

Reactions: 4 users
Waitlisted - Interviewed PRIME on 10/25. Congrats to all those accepted!

Could anyone shed some light on how they prepared for this interview?
Really just know your application and be able to adapt your experiences to answers on the fly. Try looking up behavioral questions and think about how you would answer/approach them. In the end MMIs really test how well you talk and think on the spot.

For current students: how generous is UCSD's need-based scholarship/financial aid (outside of loans) for applicants from low-income background?

Really just know your application and be able to adapt your experiences to answers on the fly. Try looking up behavioral questions and think about how you would answer/approach them. In the end MMIs really test how well you talk and think on the spot.

Thank you! That is interesting because I thought it would be questions that are more based on context/scenarios and how I would approach them.

Thank you! That is interesting because I thought it would be questions that are more based on context/scenarios and how I would approach them.

It was a good mix of scenario questions and non-scenario questions!

Has anyone been offered an interview after being placed on hold yet?

Declined my interview invite after a long deliberation. Hope one of you guys gets it :)

Reactions: 3 users
Can anyone speak to the housing availability for those who end up getting accepted off the waitlist? I imagine that the pickings are slim but is it possible to get grad housing if you apply in May?

II this morning! After nothing but deafening silence from CA schools I'm heckin shocked. Earliest date was Feb 12th
LM 75, IS, ORM, complete 9/29

Reactions: 3 users
II this morning! After nothing but deafening silence from CA schools I'm heckin shocked. Earliest date was Feb 12th
LM 75, IS, ORM, complete 9/29
Hoping I get an e-mail soon, too! :) Awesome you got one. Good luck on the interview!