2018-2019 University of California - San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got an email right away in October. Bizarrely, they sent me a copy of the same email this morning--gave me a heart attack. :|

Lol yeah, I just got the email this morning :/. Ooof, that's rubbing salt in the wounds. Hopefully, your cycle is going well! I'm sitting on back to back WLs and now developing an irrational fear of being waitlisted everywhere hahah.

Members don't see this ad.

Lol yeah, I just got the email this morning :/. Ooof, that's rubbing salt in the wounds. Hopefully, your cycle is going well! I'm sitting on back to back WLs and now developing an irrational fear of being waitlisted everywhere hahah.

This whole process is non-stop purgatory. I am happy to have a D.O. acceptance that I have to shell out for since I haven't had an A from my MD interviews yet. Bye bye, money!

Members don't see this ad :)
interviewed PRIME this week; "you'll hear back within two weeks, but there could be a delay"

*reaches peak neuroticism*

Tagging on here: did you interview with other PRIME folks or were you interspersed with other UCSD applicants? (Also, congrats on the interview--I hope it went well!)
This particular interview day included both PRIME and other UCSD applicants. However, during presentations, we sat in separate rooms so we'd get information relevant to the program we're applying for. During down time (there was a LOT of it), both types of applicants mingled at a nearby cafe or in a conference room. We were separated according to PRIME/non-PRIME during the MMI.

And thank you!! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Placed on pre-II hold. Complete 9/25.

Emailed admissions today because I've had silence since August, and they said that I had been placed on hold despite not getting an email or portal update. Those placed on hold will be reviewed again likely in January. So for those that never received an update, I'm assuming it's the same situation.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Was this for regular MD or did you apply for PRIME? Also, mind sharing what interview dates were available?
Feel free to private message me with your questions.

Does anyone who interviewed last week remember the date that we should hear back?

I recently received a PRIME II! Was on hold since August

OOS, LM 73 WARS 96

Reactions: 4 users
Turned in my primary in the summer with everyone else. Silence, then I received a secondary 2 weeks ago...does this mean I have any sort of chance at an II??

How many people that get placed on hold pre-II end up being offered one? Is it rare to get one?

How many people that get placed on hold pre-II end up being offered one? Is it rare to get one?
numbers people typically quote (I cannot verify if they are accurate) are ~2000 people are put on pre-II hold and 30-40 of those people get an II

UCSD just sent out an email for folks who are still waiting to hear back about a potential hold/R/II:

"- We do still have interview slots available in late January and throughout February. Our lack of a reply does not necessarily mean you are going to be rejected...It truly does mean that a decision has not been made yet.
- We frequently hear that the perception of many applicants is that those that interview later in the interview season are a disadvantage...that you can only get a spot on the wait list if you do interview in January or February. This is not true. We have always made admissions offers to applicants from interview dates in January and February, and we have no reason to anticipate that things will change this year.

Many of our faculty and staff will be taking time off over the next two weeks...Our goal is to have all file review done and send out status updates by Tuesday, January 8."

Looks like they're moving a bit slower this year. Here's to hopefully some good news in the new year for us *fingers crossed*

EDIT: Complete 7/29

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Received the same email As well. Complete 9/2.

I didn’t get this email. Complete 9/1 and have’t gotten a hold either. I guess they did lose my app after all

I didn’t get this email. Complete 9/1 and have’t gotten a hold either. I guess they did lose my app after all
Hmmmm weird. I would follow up with adcom to see what's going on. Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that they got a status update by emailing, even though there was no indication of that status on their portal and no prior communications.

UCSD just sent out an email for folks who are still waiting to hear back about a potential hold/R/II:

"- We do still have interview slots available in late January and throughout February. Our lack of a reply does not necessarily mean you are going to be rejected...It truly does mean that a decision has not been made yet.
- We frequently hear that the perception of many applicants is that those that interview later in the interview season are a disadvantage...that you can only get a spot on the wait list if you do interview in January or February. This is not true. We have always made admissions offers to applicants from interview dates in January and February, and we have no reason to anticipate that things will change this year.

Many of our faculty and staff will be taking time off over the next two weeks...Our goal is to have all file review done and send out status updates by Tuesday, January 8."

Looks like they're moving a bit slower this year. Here's to hopefully some good news in the new year for us *fingers crossed*

This is good to hear, but based on how this cycle is going, I'm not going to keep my hopes too up.

I was complete late August and received a hold in mid-October. I didn't receive this email, so I'm not sure if it's directed to only some on hold.

This is good to hear, but based on how this cycle is going, I'm not going to keep my hopes too up.

I was complete late August and received a hold in mid-October. I didn't receive this email, so I'm not sure if it's directed to only some on hold.
Yeah I hear you--this cycle is rough, so having a cautiously optimistic approach may be beneficial in the long run for our mental health. I believe this email was only sent to folks who have not been put on hold yet and who also have not heard any other updates regarding an II or R.

Received this email as well. It has been silence for me since Complete date 10/21

Yeah I hear you--this cycle is rough, so having a cautiously optimistic approach may be beneficial in the long run for our mental health. I believe this email was only sent to folks who have not been put on hold yet and who also have not heard any other updates regarding an II or R.

Oh, I totally did not read your initial post correctly. Thanks for clarifying for me!

Got this Email today as well. First Email from them since completion of secondary.

Got the email as well, was complete 11/24 lol

This is a wise mentality. I use it as well
Then, if we get the II, it is a pleasant surprise. If not, it wasn't meant to be. And that's ok

I’m on pre interview hold but never received that email. Looking forward to hearing a final decision

Reactions: 2 users
II just now for PRIME-HEq. Was complete mid-Oct. The portal does not show any available dates at the moment so I assume they will open more soon?

Reactions: 4 users
II just now for PRIME-HEq. Was complete mid-Oct. The portal does not show any available dates at the moment so I assume they will open more soon?
Congrats! Were you previously on hold?

Congrats! Were you previously on hold?

Thanks! I was never on hold. Only correspondence I had since complete date was the email they sent out mid-Dec stating we would receive a status update by 1/8/19.

Thanks! I was never on hold. Only correspondence I had since complete date was the email they sent out mid-Dec stating we would receive a status update by 1/8/19.

I also got that email too and I am applying for PRIME as well. Havent heard anything since. Hopefully I’d hear some good news soon.

II for PRIME-HEq this afternoon!! Very stoked!
Complete on 7/22 and received the same peculiar email on 12/19 (never placed on hold, but had no decision until today).

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Did anyone else not get a decision, but got the email saying we would today?

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone else not get a decision, but got the email saying we would today?

Yes! My guess is that we were placed on hold :( . . . Congrats to everyone who received an interview! UCSD SOM seems like an extraordinary med school!

Dang, UCLA and UCSD have the same second look weekend (April 5th-6th). Anyone else trying to decide which second look to attend?

Dang, UCLA and UCSD have the same second look weekend (April 5th-6th). Anyone else trying to decide which second look to attend?

They always have it on a similar date. I heard UCSD is more relaxed(Pub/Bar chill) and UCLA is more formal(Catered dinner with famous speaker).

The interview is MMI right? can anyone comment on how it was (obviously no specifics)?