2018-2019 University of California - San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
@knicks_001 Thanks for the reminder! They are really kind and helpful on the phone, so I'd say give them a call if you have questions. Some movement will happen next week, and, of course, throughout the summer. But no one has come off the waitlist yet.

Reactions: 4 users
@knicks_001 Thanks for the reminder! They are really kind and helpful on the phone, so I'd say give them a call if you have questions. Some movement will happen next week, and, of course, throughout the summer. But no one has come off the waitlist yet.

The problem with this process is when you say "happen next week" I assume Monday. But this probably means Friday or July.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
The problem with this process is when you say "happen next week" I assume Monday. But this probably means Friday or July.
I understand. I didn’t want to probe for too much information, but honestly you could call and ask to see if they can provide more specifics.

Reactions: 1 user
Fellow waitlisters: is someone else willing to call today for an update on when they will release acceptances/how many? I bit the bullet last week!

Fellow waitlisters: is someone else willing to call today for an update on when they will release acceptances/how many? I bit the bullet last week!
Called on Monday and they were not forthcoming at all. Hope someone else has some success!

• Sad
Members don't see this ad :)
Should we assume that the waitlist movement is going to be minimal from this point on? Sigh...:(

• Sad
Should we assume that the waitlist movement is going to be minimal from this point on? Sigh...:(
Might be worth a call to the admissions office to see if the class if currently full.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi I just called the admissions, and it seems like there won’t be much movement :( She said it would really depend on how many people accept the acceptance offers given out last week....

Hi I just called the admissions, and it seems like there won’t be much movement :( She said it would really depend on how many people accept the acceptance offers given out last week....
Thanks for calling/updating us. Did they say whether the class was currently full?

That was her response to me asking if the class was currently full..haha...
Oh I see! That is disappointing for those (like me) who need to decide soon, but I’m not going to sit here and complain about having another acceptance that i can move forward with. Let’s keep our fingers crossed they’ll still have some open seats to offer later this week!

Can any current students please shed a little light on whether the rumors of UCSD students being quiet & nonsocial/generally unhappy are true? Also, if there are any current students who have made the transition from an urban environment to La Jolla, what was that like for you? I know individual experiences differ, however, I would still like some insight....

Can any current students please shed a little light on whether the rumors of UCSD students being quiet & nonsocial/generally unhappy are true? Also, if there are any current students who have made the transition from an urban environment to La Jolla, what was that like for you? I know individual experiences differ, however, I would still like some insight....

Current MS1 here! I'm not sure where the rumors are coming from about UCSD students being quiet/nonsocial/unhappy is coming from since those are literally the antithesis of how I would describe the MS1 class... Maybe that has to do more with the reputation of the UCSD undergrad campus?

Our class really loves each other and is extremely supportive-- no interesting drama, very little clique-yness in my experience. We spend a lot of time outside of class hanging out, whether it's hiking, going to breweries, GOT watch parties, game nights, trips to Mexico/Vegas, surfing, etc. Most people seem to have a core friend group but several friends outside of that. People still make the effort to get to know others they haven't had the chance to yet (a good example of this is that some of our classmates organized a system where MS1s can sign up and be randomly assigned a group of other MS1s to have a Sunday night potluck with so that we can all get to know each other better). All in all, I have been exceptionally happy with my friendships and the class dynamic here. I am also really thankful for the MS2s who have shared invaluable resources and advice with us (another example: the MS2s typically post review materials they have created and study tips in our class's FB page as soon as a new block begins).

tl;dr: the people rock and the social life is poppin here. almost too poppin. there are so many fun things happening it can be challenging to force yourself to study.

Reactions: 2 users
Current MS1 here! I'm not sure where the rumors are coming from about UCSD students being quiet/nonsocial/unhappy is coming from since those are literally the antithesis of how I would describe the MS1 class... Maybe that has to do more with the reputation of the UCSD undergrad campus?

Our class really loves each other and is extremely supportive-- no interesting drama, very little clique-yness in my experience. We spend a lot of time outside of class hanging out, whether it's hiking, going to breweries, GOT watch parties, game nights, trips to Mexico/Vegas, surfing, etc. Most people seem to have a core friend group but several friends outside of that. People still make the effort to get to know others they haven't had the chance to yet (a good example of this is that some of our classmates organized a system where MS1s can sign up and be randomly assigned a group of other MS1s to have a Sunday night potluck with so that we can all get to know each other better). All in all, I have been exceptionally happy with my friendships and the class dynamic here. I am also really thankful for the MS2s who have shared invaluable resources and advice with us (another example: the MS2s typically post review materials they have created and study tips in our class's FB page as soon as a new block begins).

tl;dr: the people rock and the social life is poppin here. almost too poppin. there are so many fun things happening it can be challenging to force yourself to study.
Thank you!

Those of you who already found your apartments, how much consideration are you giving to your proximity to campus? What is your commute time going to look like?

Those of you who already found your apartments, how much consideration are you giving to your proximity to campus? What is your commute time going to look like?

Does this suggest you are going to look at off-campus housing over the UCSD housing options? I thought most M1s and M2s had housing through the campus housing options, but maybe I'm wrong? Maybe one of the MS1s can shed some light on this topic?

Does this suggest you are going to look at off-campus housing over the UCSD housing options? I thought most M1s and M2s had housing through the campus housing options, but maybe I'm wrong? Maybe one of the MS1s can shed some light on this topic?

Right now there’s a pretty long waiting list. I’m not expecting to get it in a reasonable amount of time, so I’m looking around. Plus I have my SO with me who wants to live away from school.

Question for successful applicants: Did you write your autobiography in a "matter-of-fact, this is what happened" style or more of a show>tell PS style with anecdotes and reflections for each point?

Question for successful applicants: Did you write your autobiography in a "matter-of-fact, this is what happened" style or more of a show>tell PS style with anecdotes and reflections for each point?

Matter of fact. It’s more a story of how you got to where you are. Your important points should clearly be written as having an impact on your life but that doesn’t mean you should step out of the tone of your essay to write an aside on your reflections.

For those of you familiar with off-campus housing, what are some affordable places near the school? Where do medical students usually live besides grad housing? Thanks!

For those of you familiar with off-campus housing, what are some affordable places near the school? Where do medical students usually live besides grad housing? Thanks!

I visited like 16 apartments in the last month. Try the Mirada at La Jolla for some reasonable pricing compared to other places. Better hurry up though. Prices start to rise in the summer months.

The more east you go the cheaper it is.

Just called Admissions to check to see if there was going to be anymore movement in the hold list. The person who answered the phone said; "at this point the class is full." :(

• Sad
Just called Admissions to check to see if there was going to be anymore movement in the hold list. The person who answered the phone said; "at this point the class is full." :(
I might be wrong, but I would assume this is the case if they are pulling from the WL. Like, as each spot opens, they pull from the WL to fill the class back up again. Not quite sure, I wouldn’t bank on this school but don’t give up hope quite yet :)

If you express interest in San Diego's optional programs (PRIME-HEq, Global Health, MAS in clinical research) by writing one of these optional essays in secondary applications, will they automatically sign you up for it if you are accepted? Or if you are not accepted into one of these optional programs, do they then consider accepting you as "MD only". Just a little confused on this. Thanks in advance for the advice/info.