2018-2019 University of California - San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Verified and pushed to review this morning!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone want to swap autobios/PRIME essays? Figure it's fairer to swap 10k characters with someone than ask my friends/family lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary Received today! IS, primary app transmitted 7/9.

Secondary received 7/16! Primary app transmitted 7/13.

I somehow got one with an LM score of 67. Hopefully that gives the rest of y'all hope.

Late to the party but secondary received 7/13. Primary completed 7/6. OOS

All I got was an email telling me it takes them 1-8 weeks to screen lol. My MCAT isn't in until July 31, so I'm not surprised. Hope they don't just screen me out before then.
I've seen you a lot around these forums and you seem like a really great applicant so don't be worried. Praying the MCAT goes well for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted secondary and subsequently sent letters of recommendation on Tuesday via AMCAS but my application still reads “Not complete” and indicates that my LOR’s have not arrived. Is anyone else also seeing this?

Submitted secondary and subsequently sent letters of recommendation on Tuesday via AMCAS but my application still reads “Not complete” and indicates that my LOR’s have not arrived. Is anyone else also seeing this?

Somebody on their end has to manually download the letters and then check to make sure you fulfilled their requirements so it can take a while

Reactions: 1 user
I've learned to be pessimistic, so any good news can bring an overwhelming amount of joy.

Anyone want to swap autobios/PRIME essays? Figure it's fairer to swap 10k characters with someone than ask my friends/family lol
I haven't received a secondary here but did for UCSF, and am applying to PRIME. PM me if you want to swap essays!

**** THIS SECONDARY
1st question: write a 2nd personal statement. Make sure it is different from your first one. Also they both better be the number 1 reason you want to be a doctor... but still different. Otherwise straight to the reject pile

1st question: write a 2nd personal statement. Make sure it is different from your first one. Also they both better be the number 1 reason you want to be a doctor... but still different. Otherwise straight to the reject pile

I think the secondary is about the path you took that lead you to this point, and the personal statement is about which part of medicine echoes with you. They can be similar if you wrote the personal statement the way you wrote your secondary. For me, I gave three mini-stories in my personal statement and almost no live events, so I find the secondary pretty easy to write.

I think the secondary is about the path you took that lead you to this point, and the personal statement is about which part of medicine echoes with you. They can be similar if you wrote the personal statement the way you wrote your secondary. For me, I gave three mini-stories in my personal statement and almost no live events, so I find the secondary pretty easy to write.

I think this secondary is half to weed out those not serious about SD

Reactions: 2 users
are people actually using this as a why UCSD prompt? I don't think that's what they're looking for.
No, it's to weed out people who won't bother writing the secondary because it's so long. The same way Miller and Duke have like half the people who submit primaries not even submit secondaries

No, it's to weed out people who won't bother writing the secondary because it's so long. The same way Miller and Duke have like half the people who submit primaries not even submit secondaries

oooohhhh I misinterpreted what you said, my bad.

are people actually using this as a why UCSD prompt? I don't think that's what they're looking for.
For MSTP they wanted you to write an autobiography that also explained why MD/PhD? why UCSD? And then another essay about “why md/PhD at UCSD?”

Last edited:
For MSTP they wanted you to write an autobiography that also explained why MD/PhD? why UCSD? And then another essay about “why md/PhD at UCSD?”

I was talking about regular MD.

Secondary received! First UC to give me one. Time to write the autobiography :/ At least this will double up for Vandy.

Finally submitted and complete! Said it will take somewhere between 2-6 weeks for them to review my application

If I don't apply to Prime-HEq will it lower my chances of getting into the MD program? I was going to apply and talk about my volunteer experiences then I watched this at 46:43 and decided not to lol

What did yall focus on the autobiography? My personal statement touches everything about why medicine and what not so IDK how to go about writing this with medicine in mind

I tried to incorporate themes from my non-clinical experiences that could make me a better physician, especially the ones that tie into what you hope to accomplish in the future.

If I don't apply to Prime-HEq will it lower my chances of getting into the MD program? I was going to apply and talk about my volunteer experiences then I watched this at 46:43 and decided not to lol

he states at 7:08 that UCLA prime has a separate admissions process, so no, it won't matter whether you apply to it or not.

A bit late to the game, but I'm caught up with secondaries and decided to apply here too. Hopefully I get a secondary soon!

A bit late to the game, but I'm caught up with secondaries and decided to apply here too. Hopefully I get a secondary soon!
Welcome! But don't hold your breath, they're slow as molasses on sending out secondaries

Welcome! But don't hold your breath, they're slow as molasses on sending out secondaries
That's OK, gives mybank account some time to recover if nothing else

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone's portal say that they're missing LORs? Mine does, but when I go to document status, it says my committee letter was received.

I don't wanna write this seocndaryyyyyy
I surprised myself by sitting down one day and just banging it out. Just started writing. One huge paragraph for childhood, one huge paragraph for high school, one huge paragraph for college, one paragraph for the clinical story I didn't end up using on my PS. Then I pared out the useless stuff, worked it into a cohesive story, and etc. Ended up being one of the few secondaries I really thought told a good story of me.

Reactions: 4 users