2018-2019 University of California - San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I surprised myself by sitting down one day and just banging it out. Just started writing. One huge paragraph for childhood, one huge paragraph for high school, one huge paragraph for college, one paragraph for the clinical story I didn't end up using on my PS. Then I pared out the useless stuff, worked it into a cohesive story, and etc. Ended up being one of the few secondaries I really thought told a good story of me.

Lw it's kind of hard to write an autobiography that isn't a good story of yourself :p That being said I know what you mean haha this one gave me a chance to combine multiple different aspects of other secondaries for a more complete picture of who I am

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know when the UCs start sending out II?

Does anyone know when the UCs start sending out II?

UCI has sent a number of them out already, but they seem to have gone quiet for the last couple weeks. Haven't heard of anything from the rest of them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Lw it's kind of hard to write an autobiography that isn't a good story of yourself That being said I know what you mean haha this one gave me a chance to combine multiple different aspects of other secondaries for a more complete picture of who I am
Not gonna lie, I actually just copy/pasted four secondaries from other schools, did some editing to tell a cohesive story and somehow it turned out okay. My laziness has been at an all time high since the 11th or 12th secondary

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone's portal say that they're missing LORs? Mine does, but when I go to document status, it says my committee letter was received.
I called them and they said it's like that for everyone (on their end, they cannot access the letters, even if AMCAS has them uploaded). They're working with their tech people to fix it. They said they're still reviewing everyone's submitted application in the meantime, even if they can't read the letters yet.

I called them and they said it's like that for everyone (on their end, they cannot access the letters, even if AMCAS has them uploaded). They're working with their tech people to fix it. They said they're still reviewing everyone's submitted application in the meantime, even if they can't read the letters yet.

That's funny, on my portal it says the letters are received and everything is in and complete.

Got a secondary today, 8/6. Verified 7/24!

Reactions: 1 users
Nust got a secondary! Glad I added this school late in the game. Already did Vandys secondary so this should be quicm

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Nust got a secondary! Glad I added this school late in the game. Already did Vandys secondary so this should be quicm

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
Wait til they ask you about how masculine or feminine you are. Bet ya didn't prepare for that!

Reactions: 2 users
Not really sure what to do with my secondary. My personal statement discussed a lot about my biographical history and why that lead me to be a physician....

I received the secondary on 7/03. I thought I submitted in July 8. Fee paid and everything. However, I just checked the portal today and there was an error and my app did not actually submit. Submitted today, but that is >4 week deadline. FEELING DUMB for not checking earlier and not realizing I did not get a confirmation email. are they INSANELY strict on this deadline?

I received the secondary on 7/03. I thought I submitted in July 8. Fee paid and everything. However, I just checked the portal today and there was an error and my app did not actually submit. Submitted today, but that is >4 week deadline. FEELING DUMB for not checking earlier and not realizing I did not get a confirmation email. are they INSANELY strict on this deadline?
interestingly this happened to me with ucsd... thankfully I realized it a few days later when I went to check my app status. I would still submit it.

People who applied well after me are getting secondaries. Even though I lived there for 6 years and still have my drivers license from C.A., because I’ve been gone for a year (even though it’s due to the military), I’m no longer IS. My gpa is also low for them. I didn’t really expect a secondary from them lol.

People who applied well after me are getting secondaries. Even though I lived there for 6 years and still have my drivers license from C.A., because I’ve been gone for a year (even though it’s due to the military), I’m no longer IS. My gpa is also low for them. I didn’t really expect a secondary from them lol.
Damn alright, well i'll hold onto a little hope for you

Well you probably got delayed in screening waiting on your mcat score, no?

Well you probably got delayed in screening waiting on your mcat score, no?

Yeah, probably. I got secondaries for the other two schools that screen though. I'm not trying to have a pity party or anything. I'm hanging in there, just not expecting anything.

Reactions: 2 users
They don’t accept them, is what I have written down in my spreadsheet. I forget where I found this info.

The dean said it many many times in student panels. Do not send updates until after the traffic day, if you are on the waitlist.

Yeah, probably. I got secondaries for the other two schools that screen though. I'm not trying to have a pity party or anything. I'm hanging in there, just not expecting anything.

Good mentality :) They do automatic and manual screen for secondary. If you are still waiting on the MCAT then you prob won't get a secondary until your score came out. If it's below their threshold, which I am not too sure, then you enter the queue for a manual screen, which I heard is not too harsh. However, they also don't tend to reject students off the back, but rather place them on Hold for an interview, which many took it as a silent rejection because at some point in March, all Holds become rejection.

The dean said it many many times in student panels. Do not send updates until after the traffic day, if you are on the waitlist.

Good mentality :) They do automatic and manual screen for secondary. If you are still waiting on the MCAT then you prob won't get a secondary until your score came out. If it's below their threshold, which I am not too sure, then you enter the queue for a manual screen, which I heard is not too harsh. However, they also don't tend to reject students off the back, but rather place them on Hold for an interview, which many took it as a silent rejection because at some point in March, all Holds become rejection.

Yeah, I'm probably going to have to be manual. My cGPA including my coursework from 10+ years ago is low, but my recent coursework and postbacc is really good (postbacc is 4.0), and my MCAT is above their median. But who knows?

I would definitely give them a call and try to clarify this! Plead your case!!!

Sucks man, sorry to hear.
No big deal. I was expecting it. There's no indication that I ever even lived in CA for as long as I did, and my cGPA is way low for them. Even with the MCAT, I was expecting an R. I'm just happy they did it up front instead of making me pay a secondary fee first.

No big deal. I was expecting it. There's no indication that I ever even lived in CA for as long as I did, and my cGPA is way low for them. Even with the MCAT, I was expecting an R. I'm just happy they did it up front instead of making me pay a secondary fee first.
Wow I thought you were just being pessimistic and figured you were just late to get into the queue because of MCAT. Your stats are right around mine so I'm bracing now for a R. Sorry man. Are you going to add schools at this point? 5 seems like a gamble not worth taking, even if you are pretty secure with USUHS

Wow I thought you were just being pessimistic and figured you were just late to get into the queue because of MCAT. Your stats are right around mine so I'm bracing now for a R. Sorry man. Are you going to add schools at this point? 5 seems like a gamble not worth taking, even if you are pretty secure with USUHS

Nah. Most of the people in our program apply to 2-3 schools. I don’t want to go anywhere other than USUHS, so applying to more seems like a waste of money.

Last edited:
Oh no I am sorry to hear that :( I am sure you will end up at a great school! Many schools value the recent excellences!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know what UCSD's policy on updates is?
I got an FAQ email from them today and it states this:

“Please do not send additional materials supporting your application – the UCSD SOM Admissions Committee does not consider updates to grades or activities or any other documents outside of the AMCAS application and secondary application process.”

Anybody heard of any OOSers getting into this school and how they did it? My girlfriend lives there, so this is by far one of my tops, but I know their OOS acceptance percentage is like 0.3% haha.

Anybody heard of any OOSers getting into this school and how they did it? My girlfriend lives there, so this is by far one of my tops, but I know their OOS acceptance percentage is like 0.3% haha.
I don't know anyone, but i think the OOS acceptance is a little higher than that. MSAR shows .4% matriculant rate for OOS so I'd imagine acceptance rate is maybe double that? :shrug: Still not very high though! I'm OOS as well, so I feel your pain.

I got an FAQ email from them today and it states this:

“Please do not send additional materials supporting your application – the UCSD SOM Admissions Committee does not consider updates to grades or activities or any other documents outside of the AMCAS application and secondary application process.”

I didn't get that email :scared:

Hey all, I submitted my secondary on 7/20, and since then, the last communication I got from them was "File Complete - will be forwarded for review." I noted earlier in the thread, others noted it said "in review." Is this an anomaly, and is anyone experiencing anything similar to this or is this normal? Thanks!

Hey all, I submitted my secondary on 7/20, and since then, the last communication I got from them was "File Complete - will be forwarded for review." I noted earlier in the thread, others noted it said "in review." Is this an anomaly, and is anyone experiencing anything similar to this or is this normal? Thanks!
I have the same designation on mine, I think it's normal!

Got mine on the 26th, it's normal. They said the review process can take up to 6 weeks so potentially got a long wait ahead of us

People who submitted the secondary right around when they first started sending them out should be hitting the end of the 6 week period right about now so we'll probably see some decisions soon. I'm glad UCSD does holds and rejects instead of silence so I can move on with my life lmao

Reactions: 5 users
I got it after receiving my secondary invitation, for more context!
+1, it was like a bullet list of tips for the application that came right after