2018-2019 University of California - San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yup exactly what SlythenClaw said. Those stats are only for MD/PhD applicants. I have no idea about the other programs. I have seen some numbers thrown around like ~7000 apps ~2500 secondaries and ~ 500 interviews, but these numbers are essentially RUMORS with NO proof.

These numbers (especially the 2500 secondaries -> 500 interviews) came from previous years' interview dates, in which Dean Wofsy gave these numbers out for the MD program. No idea how accurate they are now, though, as that was 4 years ago for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a student here, maybe I can help answer some of these questions.

They can be a bit slower to process everyone, last I heard they're still catching up. I'm sure they haven't forgotten you.

Beginning of Feb at the latest

Good luck y'all, love this place.
I submitted end of July (well over 12 weeks ago) and haven't heard anything. Would it be bad taste to contact the admissions office?

I submitted end of July (well over 12 weeks ago) and haven't heard anything. Would it be bad taste to contact the admissions office?

I can almost guarantee you that you're going to get a response that says something like "We have gotten an increase in apps this year, so please be patient as it takes time to review every application and make our decisions, etc". The fact that you haven't heard anything means imo it's safe to assume that you're basically on hold; UCSF just doesn't have a formal "hold" designation like other schools. But you're always welcome to email them and ask anyway

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally got a secondary but I'm not sure if I should submit it. I heard they only interview up until late January and it's already December... My stats are way below UCSF's averages too.

As many other people have mentioned, do submit it. If they sent it to you, it's because they're interested. UCSF doesn't work like other schools. You definitely have chances of getting an II, in my opinion.

Reactions: 2 users

Honestly, it seems like they aren't shy about rejecting people post-secondary/pre-II. I would take no news as good news in this case. Your app seems good enough to hold on to in their mind.

Anyone know how the financial aid is here? From what I've been seeing it doesn't sound like they offer much. Has anyone heard of decent sized scholarships or aid that cover significant amounts of the tuition?

Reactions: 1 users
Also just got a secondary, what a pleasant surprise! I had given up.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Nah, they’re nice people. I agree that it might not do much to speed things up, but go for it if it’ll make you feel better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone care to share their interview day experience? Thanks!

Just interviewed here Monday. First time in Cali and I'm OOS. The interview day for me was long but fairly laid back. Started the day around 8am. Dean Wofsy was very down to earth and transparent about the schools admissions process. That's something I really liked. Around 9:30-9:45ish, we we're taken to the student lounge to hang out with some first years and then accompany them to their small groups. Ended up getting free cookies that the small group professor made. Lunch from 11-12pm where we got a $9 card that we could use to eat from the cafeteria. Noon was the tour. Then basically all interviews were in afternoon between 1-4pm. There's a very good chance you'll have to take shuttles to get to your interviewers who were on various campuses but they gave very thoortho directions on how to get around. However, they gave us tons of free time between interviews you can walk around campus or the area around campus.

There are two completely closed file interviews ( with a faculty and/or students) that are about 45- 1hr long so like know your app but still have a conversation with them. Honestly the time flew by.

Overall it was a great experience. UCSF wasn't really on my radar because I didn't think I'd even get an II as an OOS with no ties to the area. Now it's pretty high up there. The students were really nice and encouraging (saying high, asking if we needed help getting around, wishing us luck constantly). That's something I like to see. Hopefully they weren't putting on a show but the students seemed genuinely happy and sociable. The area around the school is absolutely gorgeous and scenic. The weather that day was nice and clear so you could see the bay, ocean, and Golden Gate.

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know while it's all fresh in my mind.

Reactions: 6 users
Just interviewed here Monday. First time in Cali and I'm OOS. The interview day for me was long but fairly laid back. Started the day around 8am. Dean Wofsy was very down to earth and transparent about the schools admissions process. That's something I really liked. Around 9:30-9:45ish, we we're taken to the student lounge to hang out with some first years and then accompany them to their small groups. Ended up getting free cookies that the small group professor made. Lunch from 11-12pm where we got a $9 card that we could use to eat from the cafeteria. Noon was the tour. Then basically all interviews were in afternoon between 1-4pm. There's a very good chance you'll have to take shuttles to get to your interviewers who were on various campuses but they gave very thoortho directions on how to get around. However, they gave us tons of free time between interviews you can walk around campus or the area around campus.

There are two completely closed file interviews ( with a faculty and/or students) that are about 45- 1hr long so like know your app but still have a conversation with them. Honestly the time flew by.

Overall it was a great experience. UCSF wasn't really on my radar because I didn't think I'd even get an II as an OOS with no ties to the area. Now it's pretty high up there. The students were really nice and encouraging (saying high, asking if we needed help getting around, wishing us luck constantly). That's something I like to see. Hopefully they weren't putting on a show but the students seemed genuinely happy and sociable. The area around the school is absolutely gorgeous and scenic. The weather that day was nice and clear so you could see the bay, ocean, and Golden Gate.

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know while it's all fresh in my mind.

That’s awesome! Thanks for the detailed info. Did they say when people who interview this week would hear back?

That’s awesome! Thanks for the detailed info. Did they say when people who interview this week would hear back?
Yes they did. December interviewers could hear back in late Jan/early Feb.

Thank you so much! Now the important question: was breakfast and/or coffee provided? If so, what was it? lol

I also submitted around 15 weeks ago and have had complete silence, but I do know a friend who submitted after me and has received an II. At this point I just want them to tell me :(

does UCSF tell you if youve been rejected by prime? or is it just included/assumed when you get rejected by the medical school? lol waiting since august here too

I interviewed on a PRIME day yesterday, which was actually the first PRIME day of the year. UCSF was my top choice going into the cycle, and the interview day just affirmed my opinion. I agree with everything @TempuraOreos said, but there we a couple of things different for PRIME days.

Our day also started at 8am but we met with PRIME faculty and staff during the morning before lunch, so I actually didn’t have any downtime until after my first interview at 2pm. Some people actually interview over in Mission Bay so this can be even busier, however staff is very good at being aware of student’s schedules and will remind them individually. Also, we had catered lunch in admissions with PRIME students instead of going to the cafeteria. Other than that, our interview day was identical to all other interview days.

Overall, the students, staff, and faculty were very friendly and welcoming. Dr. Wofsy and Dr. Martinez are amazing – they did a great job introducing us to the campus and answering any questions we had. The 2 interviews are very conversational and I never really felt like there were any challenging questions or interrogation.

Don’t let rankings intimidate you; this was definitely the most welcoming and relaxed interview I’ve attended.
Wow surprised they took so long to get to PRIME. Are they more selective with PRIME?

I’m not sure how/if they evaluate differently for PRIME interview days. The PRIME-specific interviews are held after acceptances next year. At this point, it seems like everyone is at the same step in the process...
Hmm, thats interesting. Actually ended up talking to a M3 in prime on the shuttle back to Parnassus. Didn't ask him about it since Im not applying prime.

So we should be hearing back sometime next week...? Oh mannn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

does UCSF tell you if youve been rejected by prime? or is it just included/assumed when you get rejected by the medical school? lol waiting since august here too
You need an acceptance to either MD or JMP to be accepted to PRIME (it's not a standalone program).

So we should be hearing back sometime next week...? Oh mannn

Oh for some reason i mixed this up in my head and thought they responded all the way in March, next week's gonna be an emotional roller coaster.

R on Friday evening pre-II, complete 10/1. Still feeling pretty dejected over it :(

I submitted my secondary 10/22, has anyone heard back yet about anything who submitted around that time too?

I lowkey just died, II for PRIME Complete 11/13

Reactions: 10 users
Any folks complete late-Aug still not hear anything? I'm expecting a rejection any day now at this point

Good luck to the people who will be hearing about decisions soon! Hoping you join us here and feel free to message me with any questions you may have when it comes time to picking a school.

Reactions: 4 users
What time do you guys think decisions will come out

Watch them troll us and not even release tomorrow </3

Has anyone who interviewed for JMP heard back yet? Interviewed early and it's recently passed the 3-4 week mark they told us we'd hear back by.
+1, interviewed 10/31 and have not heard anything yet

I thought they said they would start releasing December 15, which is odd because it’s a Saturday.

I thought they said they would start releasing December 15, which is odd because it’s a Saturday.

Prob Dec 14 which is the Friday. But in previous threads they also released on the Wednesday before too

Whoaaa congrats!!! Did you already attend an MD II here? I'd thought that they interview for MD first, then PRIME if accepted to MD

They haven't released any acceptances yet, but will send the first wave within a couple of days

Whoaaa congrats!!! Did you already attend an MD II here? I'd thought that they interview for MD first, then PRIME if accepted to MD
Whoops, I didnt clarify. This will be my MD II but it is on a designated MD/PRIME interview day. I believe prime interviews are conducted over the phone after acceptance, yes.

Someone at Albany said he has already been accepted with a scholarship (he's already holding 12 other acceptances lol)...maybe they've started accepting the people they're super passionate about? We regulars gotta wait :'(

Someone at Albany said he has already been accepted with a scholarship (he's already holding 12 other acceptances lol)...maybe they've started accepting the people they're super passionate about? We regulars gotta wait :'(

Doubt it. With due respect, why would they go to an Albany interview if accepted with scholarship?

Reactions: 3 users
Doubt it. With due respect, why would they go to an Albany interview if accepted with scholarship?

I thought that at first too! But then the admissions dean called him out by name and thanked him for coming while the rest of us just sat there observing that lil lovefest . . . it was deeply depressing

Ew, really? Cringe indeed.
I thought that at first too! But then the admissions dean called him out by name and thanked him for coming while the rest of us just sat there observing that lil lovefest . . . it was deeply depressing