2018-2019 University of California - San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who have been accepted, how long did it take to get added to the Facebook groip after sending the request?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know UCSF recently switched to P/F clinical years, does anyone know if they still do AOA?

The first p/f class just started rotations, so I have no idea. Hopefully not, but I haven’t heard anything either way.

Edit: also, to be clear, it’s only p/f for core rotations. Sub-is will still be h/p/f, as far as I’m aware.

they recently got rid of AOA!
This isn't confirmed! While it makes sense if cores are p/f, let's just say it's still a time of transition and we'll know more when they decide what they're doing with the c/o 2022.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! Would someone with MSAR access or knowledge of the waitlist let me know what the chances of getting off the waitlist and what that timeline would be like? Appreciate it!

Hello! Would someone with MSAR access or knowledge of the waitlist let me know what the chances of getting off the waitlist and what that timeline would be like? Appreciate it!
It was answered up above: about 50 accepted out of 150 waitlisted. Movement will likely start in May, after people choose their #1 school.

WL'd
Interviewed 1/17 I called admissions earlier today and they told me that the rest of the people who interviewed on 1/17 should hear back this week. Best of luck to you guys!

WL'd
Interviewed 1/17 I called admissions earlier today and they told me that the rest of the people who interviewed on 1/17 should hear back this week. Best of luck to you guys!

Interviewed at the end of January and was waitlisted - does anyone know if they take additional recommendation letters?

How come UCSF only match 1 neurosurgery per year? Is it that competitive or is it generally not popular as in east coast?
I am deciding between UCSF and Columbia

How come UCSF only match 1 neurosurgery per year? Is it that competitive or is it generally not popular as in east coast?
Probably not popular because neurosurgery don’t mix with dat California lifestyle.

Also between the two, pick based on location and price.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah, I only know of 1 classmate this year who was interested and applied - but he didn't need to take a year off or anything, just applied regularly. The other person I know of chose to take a year off for research and will be applying next year. I think it's just not a popular specialty amongst students here.

Yeah, I only know of 1 classmate this year who was interested and applied - but he didn't need to take a year off or anything, just applied regularly. The other person I know of chose to take a year off for research and will be applying next year. I think it's just not a popular specialty amongst students here.

Thank you for the information!! Do we have time to conduct research during the academic year? How many hours/week is do-able?

Thank you for the information!! Do we have time to conduct research during the academic year? How many hours/week is do-able?

You probably could? I didn't - I did my research between MS1 & MS2, so I can't speak to that specifically. I know people were doing research during MS1 & MS2 years, but I don't think it's very feasible in MS3 just due to the amount of time you'll have to spend on rotations. In fourth year, you can also take 2 months of research as a rotation, as well as a year off if you choose.

Do they accept letter of intents?

Anyone know why UCSF doesn’t make their match list public like many other schools?

Anyone know why UCSF doesn’t make their match list public like many other schools?

Our match list lists each person by name, specialty, and program, so my understanding is that we don't share it to respect the privacy of individual graduates. It's only available for viewing on campus if someone is interested in seeing it. I know they post a de-identified version that does list how many went into each specialty, though.

Just to add to what @differentiating said, you'll be able to do research if you want to. I did research alongside coursework throughout pre-clinical and managed to squeeze in some during MS3. I have classmates who went to lab regularly especially if they were going into a research heavy/competitive specialty. For Bridges you get up to 20 weeks protected time in MS4 for research but by then it prob won't make it onto residency apps.

Anybody received a financial aid package yet?
I'd expect it around beginning of April

Hope to see all of those who were accepted at ASW! It’ll be a fun weekend and many members of my class said that it helped them decide on attending UCSF.

If you have any questions about UCSF or are deciding between schools, feel free to send me a message. I remember how difficult of a decision it can be.

For those waitlist, don’t give up hope - there tends to be a good amount of waitlist movement, so I have my fingers crossed for you!

Reactions: 4 users
Hope to see all of those who were accepted at ASW! It’ll be a fun weekend and many members of my class said that it helped them decide on attending UCSF.

If you have any questions about UCSF or are deciding between schools, feel free to send me a message. I remember how difficult of a decision it can be.

For those waitlist, don’t give up hope - there tends to be a good amount of waitlist movement, so I have my fingers crossed for you!
On the FB group, it mentioned info about ASW would be coming out this week. Has the email bee sent already; not sure if I missed it or something?

On the FB group, it mentioned info about ASW would be coming out this week. Has the email bee sent already; not sure if I missed it or something?
I don't believe it's been sent out yet, it should be sent out very soon though & the RSVP won't be due until April.

Highly recommend attending ASW for those of you fortunate enough to already have an acceptance. I didn't personally attend, but all of my classmates who did had a great time. And it's a good chance to figure out who you'll be living with, although there are many more chances for that down the road as well.

If you're trying to book flights as soon as possible, I think arriving Friday evening (there are things scheduled for the evening, nothing in the afternoon though) and leaving Sunday afternoon (there will probably be a brunch that morning that you can choose to attend or not) should work fine. We'll have a ton of hosts for that weekend so you can just stay at one of our places :)

I don't believe it's been sent out yet, it should be sent out very soon though & the RSVP won't be due until April.

Highly recommend attending ASW for those of you fortunate enough to already have an acceptance. I didn't personally attend, but all of my classmates who did had a great time. And it's a good chance to figure out who you'll be living with, although there are many more chances for that down the road as well.

If you're trying to book flights as soon as possible, I think arriving Friday evening (there are things scheduled for the evening, nothing in the afternoon though) and leaving Sunday afternoon (there will probably be a brunch that morning that you can choose to attend or not) should work fine. We'll have a ton of hosts for that weekend so you can just stay at one of our places :)

Has a list of all available hosts been released yet, or will that be released later?

Has a list of all available hosts been released yet, or will that be released later?

I think they’re still recruiting. Also, from what I remember, you’re assigned hosts - so no list like that is ever released.

On the topic of match lists and ASW - if a match list is really important to your decision for whatever reason, the 2019 match list has been posted on campus for viewing. You should be able to see it then.

I think they’re still recruiting. Also, from what I remember, you’re assigned hosts - so no list like that is ever released.
Yeah, I believe on the RSVP form that will be released you can request a host and you’ll be matched with someone! I know plenty of my classmates have already signed up. Everyone who wants a host should be able to get one, so don’t worry about finding housing if you’d prefer a host.

Just RSVPed! Looks like it'll be a really fun time. Hope to see some of y'all there!

You’d think they’d want us to have more time in between getting our financial aid and the commit deadline, which is April 30. Kind of anxiety-inducing.

The idea is to receive financial aid around the time of ASW so that Friday afternoon can be used for fin aid appointments while people are on campus. I personally found it helpful and far enough in advance to not be too inconvenient.

Hey everyone, I was invited to fill a secondary but was rejected pre II. Does anyone know if UCSF offers application feedback?

Just received my financial aid award letter! Do current students know any info / timeline for a Regents scholarship (how do we know if we are being considered, and when)? Is the "University Grant" a merit or need-based scholarship?

Just got the financial aid award letter! Almost wet myself when I saw that email lmao

Good or bad? Given my other financial option, not feeling too hot about my current package.

Same. Mine isn't bad. But definitely not great either, especially given cost of living in SF

Last edited:
Just received my financial aid award letter! Do current students know any info / timeline for a Regents scholarship (how do we know if we are being considered, and when)? Is the "University Grant" a merit or need-based scholarship?

It's need-based

Reactions: 1 users
I think everything is need-based. My roommate got a donor scholarship (full tuition)- with the donor's name on it.

Just got my package...can you say unpleasantly surprised? Considering my household income the amount of loans they're wanting me to withdraw is asinine. And I already bought my plane ticket for ASW :rolleyes: Any tips on how to go about leveraging? Do you just email the department?

It's need-based
The amount you get for regents (a merit scholarship), I believe, is need-based? The university grant is given to everyone according to someone who goes there. The amount differs based on need, but everyone gets a minimum amount.

Last edited:
Wow this financial aid is dooooky, full tuition donor scholarship barely touches anything. Efc is 0 and still barely any aid. I’ll be matriculating elsewhere most likely

Wow this financial aid is dooooky, full tuition donor scholarship barely touches anything. Efc is 0 and still barely any aid. I’ll be matriculating elsewhere most likely

Out of curiosity, how does a full tuition scholarship barely touch anything? Are you referring to the high SF cost of living?

I received regents with my financial aid offer. The amount you get for regents (a merit scholarship), I believe, is need-based. The university grant is given to everyone according to someone who goes there. Maybe the amount differs for everyone? Not sure.

This might be regents if there’s a donor. Mine said “donor funded scholarship regents.”

Everybody gets some University Grant, but the amount is determined by need, I believe.

What

What do you mean? full tuition scholarship is like full tuition LOL