2018-2019 University of California - San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody know how many secondaries they send out? I got one but with being lower than the 10% OOS stats, Im kinda hesitating to submit (since funds are running low and I have other target schools which may be more realistic)

Members don't see this ad.

Secondary just received! AMCAS verified 06/04. For those of you that submitted early but are still without a secondary, don't lose hope!

Also Secondary just received. AMCAS verified 06/09. OOS, Lizzy 76

Members don't see this ad :)
Any secondaries for those verified late July?
I was verified July 20th and still waiting. I'm getting a bit worried because I'm not sure why I haven't received a secondary (stats just above median, but hella research (non-trad w/ 2 gap years of research) and volunteering), but I know they keep sending out secondaries for a few more months, so there's definitely still hope!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'm sure it will come soon. Their website does say it can take anywhere from 3-10 weeks to receive the secondary. I know it's hard to wait, but just a little bit longer.

I only got sent the secondary on 07/27 so i guess i got a while to wait

wooo ok ya gurl finally got a secondary invite. Verified on 7/20

Reactions: 2 users
wow I hate that I'm posting for a 3rd time in this thread today but for people who already graduated college, did y'all answer both the "update/expand on your activities" prompt and the "what have you done since graduation" prompt?

Reactions: 1 user
wow I hate that I'm posting for a 3rd time in this thread today but for people who already graduated college, did y'all answer both the "update/expand on your activities" prompt and the "what have you done since graduation" prompt?

I think you can answer both. The update is for whatever you've done since submitting the primary. The other one focus on your gap year stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)

For the "update/expand on your activities", I expanded on a previous activity listed on my primary. And for the other one, I wrote a straight forward gap year description.

Holy cow...II today! Complete 7/12. What an exciting day.

Reactions: 14 users
For everyone who got IIs, first congrats!!!!! Second, what dates were available?

Also, on a similar note, does anyone know how receptive UCSF is to ITA emails? I'll be in Cali in early September for another interview but I don't want to send them an ITA email if they're not even interviewing then. Thanks!

Just got my secondary!! I was verified 6/29, so there is still hope for everyone waiting. I’m OOS ORM LM 77 strong research

Just got my secondary as well! Verified 7/18, OOS LM 81.

+1 for this
I ended up only answering the gap year one. The only thing I really wanted to update/expand upon is some exciting stuff with my gap year research, and I was able to describe it all in 350 words so I didn’t feel that I had anything relevant to add for the update prompt

I ended up only answering the gap year one. The only thing I really wanted to update/expand upon is some exciting stuff with my gap year research, and I was able to describe it all in 350 words so I didn’t feel that I had anything relevant to add for the update prompt

Ah, sorry I quoted the wrong post, but I appreciate your response! I ended up doing the same thing with my secondary, and was told by a friend who is going to attend UCSF in the fall that the activities essay is "truly optional" so I think we'll be okay with that!

For everyone who got IIs, first congrats!!!!! Second, what dates were available?

Also, on a similar note, does anyone know how receptive UCSF is to ITA emails? I'll be in Cali in early September for another interview but I don't want to send them an ITA email if they're not even interviewing then. Thanks!

Also interested in this! I have an II in late September at another Cali school but am not sure what the dates available are/whether they are receptive

II received this afternoon! OOS, LizzyM > 80, strong research plus service activities

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone get an interview invite to PRIME?

Last edited:
I know the response is gonna be “have patience”, but at what point do I mentally give up on this school? Verified 4 weeks ago, OOS, LizzyM 79. Didn’t think either my MCAT or GPA were low enough to warrant a cut so I’m not sure what they screened me out for. Definitely is making me kind of concerned lol

It took me longer than 4 weeks to get a secondary from the point of verification. Add in the fact that there is a larger pool they are sorting through since you got verified later and it seems like there is no reason to be concerned at this point.

I know the response is gonna be “have patience”, but at what point do I mentally give up on this school? Verified 4 weeks ago, OOS, LizzyM 79. Didn’t think either my MCAT or GPA were low enough to warrant a cut so I’m not sure what they screened me out for. Definitely is making me kind of concerned lol

I was verified 6/29 and got my secondary invite two days ago...just be patient, and the time will come!

Decided to bite the bullet and submit my secondary here. LM<70 and OOS. 2000+ hours of research with an abstract and lots of work with underserved communities. Lets see how this pans out!

Does anyone know if we can do rotations at UCSF Fresno as regular MD? I'd like to do rotations there, but I don't want to commit to SJV PRIME right now. Thanks!

Also interested in this! I have an II in late September at another Cali school but am not sure what the dates available are/whether they are receptive

emailed them - they aren't really receptive to them, but they are open to scheduling dates other than those they offer

II today!! Complete 7/13, OOS, URM

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know how UCSF is about sending secondaries to their international (Canadian) applicants? My primary was verified on the first day of verification and I feel like the rest of my application is very strong, with high stats (4.0, 523) + ECs that include research experience, published abstracts, variety of paid work, volunteer, and other sports + hobby interests. I'm wondering if I should expect that I've been screened out (partly because I'm Canadian?) or if they're still just working on slowly sending out applications. Does anyone have any light to shed on the "canadian applicant" part?

Does anyone know how UCSF is about sending secondaries to their international (Canadian) applicants? My primary was verified on the first day of verification and I feel like the rest of my application is very strong, with high stats (4.0, 523) + ECs that include research experience, published abstracts, variety of paid work, volunteer, and other sports + hobby interests. I'm wondering if I should expect that I've been screened out (partly because I'm Canadian?) or if they're still just working on slowly sending out applications. Does anyone have any light to shed on the "canadian applicant" part?
Unfortunately they do not accept Canadians unless they have a Green Card or are US Citizens. I called them several times to confirm this. UCSF would have otherwise been my top choice.

I'm a little confused as to what the mission for this school is. I know that they value research and community service, but how much do they value each? Specifically, for research, if you don't have a publication do you even stand a chance? What is the baseline number of research hours you should have to be a competitive applicant for this school? I'm mainly worried about research while I apply for this school, as I only have a few hundred hours with no pubs. In short, is the mission of UCSF based more on service towards others, or is it more about research? Now that I think about it, I'll probably post this same question in the mayo thread as well.

I'm a little confused as to what the mission for this school is. I know that they value research and community service, but how much do they value each? Specifically, for research, if you don't have a publication do you even stand a chance? What is the baseline number of research hours you should have to be a competitive applicant for this school? I'm mainly worried about research while I apply for this school, as I only have a few hundred hours with no pubs. In short, is the mission of UCSF based more on service towards others, or is it more about research? Now that I think about it, I'll probably post this same question in the mayo thread as well.
The answer is yes.

JMP II today. Rejected from 4-year MD in same email though. Completed 7-20, IS LM 78.