2018-2019 University of Central Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Central Florida College of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to this thread and to the Lake Nona Medical City. This program has rapidly grown into the leader in the state in M.D. Program outcomes with upper-upper-quartile board scores and research, as well as the state's strongest match lists in the upper echelon specialties (28%) with placements at top facilities across the U.S. These are a product of our very diverse student body that come from around the country (~32 of 120 seats for non-Floridians), our truly integrated curriculum, and collaboration among our students and faculty.

The 7,000 acre Lake Nona Medical City continues to expand rapidly with housing and retail and UCF COM will break ground on our own hospital this year and also collaborate with Sarah Cannon to open our own UCF Cancer Research Institute adjacent to the UCF Hospital. We will continue to partner our clinical training with approximately 20 hospitals in the general Central Florida vicinity as well as opportunities in Jacksonville, St Petersburg, and Naples and also expand into Ocala and Gainesville. Merge this with the newer VA Hospital, the amazing Nemours Children's Hospital, and the National VA SimLearn Center for Simulation, the Rosen School for Hospitality and we have partnered to raise the bar with simulation, nutrition, as well as medical student Wellness. Finally we have created and filled approximately 350 of 620 residency positions in what will become one of the largest academic M.D. Graduate Medical Education programs in Florida.

The UCF COM won the AAMC award for best Student Affairs Career Advising and Wellness Program in 2016. UCF is also the 7th least expensive M.D. program in the nation (the only Florida program in the top 25) according to StudentLoanHero.

We look forward to partnering with you during this application year as we continue to provide you with transparency throughout the admissions year.

Please visit www.med.ucf.edu/admissions for additional information.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Welcome to this thread and to the Lake Nona Medical City. This program has rapidly grown into the leader in the state in M.D. Program outcomes with upper-upper-quartile board scores and research, as well as the state's strongest match lists in the upper echelon specialties (28%) with placements at top facilities across the U.S. These are a product of our very diverse student body that come from around the country (~32 of 120 seats for non-Floridians), our truly integrated curriculum, and collaboration among our students and faculty.

The 7,000 acre Lake Nona Medical City continues to expand rapidly with housing and retail and UCF COM will break ground on our own hospital this year and also collaborate with Sarah Cannon to open our own UCF Cancer Research Institute adjacent to the UCF Hospital. We will continue to partner our clinical training with approximately 20 hospitals in the general Central Florida vicinity as well as opportunities in Jacksonville, St Petersburg, and Naples and also expand into Ocala and Gainesville. Merge this with the newer VA Hospital, the amazing Nemours Children's Hospital, and the National VA SimLearn Center for Simulation, the Rosen School for Hospitality and we have partnered to raise the bar with simulation, nutrition, as well as medical student Wellness. Finally we have created and filled approximately 350 of 620 residency positions in what will become one of the largest academic M.D. Graduate Medical Education programs in Florida.

The UCF COM won the AAMC award for best Student Affairs Career Advising and Wellness Program in 2016. UCF is also the 7th least expensive M.D. program in the nation (the only Florida program in the top 25) according to StudentLoanHero.

We look forward to partnering with you during this application year as we continue to provide you with transparency throughout the admissions year.

This might be a question for financial aid but do you guys honor the "Choice Act" for out of state veterans?

Choice Act- Veterans qualify for in-state tuition 3 years from separation from service.

Members don't see this ad :)

Please visitfor additional information.

Hello! I was hoping you could expand a bit about the nutritional focus and the wellness program?

Thank you!

UCF application requires 5 letters of recommendation minimum?

Hello! I was hoping you could expand a bit about the nutritional focus and the wellness program?

Thank you!

Thank you for inquiring about two very important, but often overlooked, areas in medical school. In many ways the topics of wellness and nutrition are linked. During your time here you will be exposed to both topic on a regular basis in ways that will likely modify the way you live and consider others.

As for nutrition it is one of our Longitudinal Curricular Themes which means all modules throughout every year is required to include this topic where logical in the materials that you are studying. Dr, Karch is the nutrition director for this LCT and he presents this topic in fun and creative ways and participate in nutrition events for both youth and adults. He is a pediatrician at Nemours Hospital that has incorporated a true commercial kitchen for nutrition training in that hospital. He collaborates with the USTA facility as well as the Rosen School of Hospitality to combine healthy eating in sports and in life. For more please visit:

Medical Nutrition

Wellness and Counseling are also intertwined and you will hear about them many times throughout your time here. Life and medical school curriculum is packed with various pressure points. How you are able to handle stress and know when to get some help is key to your own wellness and success. Dr. Daly provides services within the COM where you can receive immediate assistance as well as some presentations during the year. These services will help each student to cope with difficulty by offering many different activities to help modify stress. We have instituted a peer counseling team of medical student volunteers who you can also converse with to discuss coping with the medical school life that has been very successful. Also available are various exercise opportunities in our gym, "sleep pods" for a quick nap, yoga, animal visits for your enjoyment, and much more. For more information please visit these two sites:

Wellness Programs

Counseling Services

I hope that this information helps you to understand the support available.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello there @REL! Could you please comment on whether there is any wait list movement at the moment?

I am applying again this cycle and would like to know if wait list movement is slowing down year to year for UCF. For example, did UCF clear our the top half of the middle third this year? Thank you

Hi @REL, I wasn’t sure if the 2017-2018 thread was deactivated so I’m quoting my question from there.

Any info you can provide reapplicants regarding waitlist movement from this most recent cycle would be greatly appreciated :)

Secondary received!

Prompts below. Prepare yourselves, there are many required essays this year. The good news is that the new length of the secondary seems to imply UCF is looking to really get to know applicants. I'm excited about that!

If you are NOT a Florida resident, please describe any connection to UCF COM, UCF, or Florida. (2000 char)

If you do not expect to spend the academic year enrolled in an academic program, please explain how you will use this time. Otherwise write N/A. (500 char)

Have you experienced academic difficulties, had any grades below "B minus," or any course withdrawals while in college?
Assuming you answer yes, the below pops up.
In this space, provide brief details regarding academic difficulties, grades below "B minus," or course withdrawals. (2000 char)

What breakthrough in clinical or research medicine would you like to see occur within the span of your career in medicine? Why? (750 char)

The complexity of healthcare delivery increasingly requires interdisciplinary teamwork. What lessons have you learned from sports, music, business or other experiences have prepared you to succeed in this environment? (750 char)

What profession would you choose if not medicine? (750 char)

Please share with the Admissions Committee why you are interested in UCF COM. (750 char)

Were you required to work during your college years?
If you answer yes, they ask you provide a brief description of why employment was necessary. Also include an estimated hours per week that you were required to work. (750 char)

Please provide a short essay to help us understand who you are. This essay should be different from your AMCAS Personal Statement. UCF COM places great value on the broad diversity of our students within the classroom. We believe the diverse characteristics of each individual in the class are important factors in serving the educational missions of this school and of our community. Please discuss any unique, personally important and/or challenging experiences in your background that have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine and service to others. These may include experiences such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, cultural background, or other significant events or circumstances that you feel have shaped your character and defined you as an individual. We are also interested on your thoughts about what you can contribute to your class and the medical profession in general. (two pages maximum, single spaced, no margins)

@gyngyn @Lucca

Last edited:
Secondary received!

Prompts below. Prepare yourselves, there are many required essays this year. The good news is that the new length of the secondary seems to imply UCF is looking to really get to know applicants. I'm excited about that!

If you are NOT a Florida resident, please describe any connection to UCF COM, UCF, or Florida. (2000 char)

If you do not expect to spend the academic year enrolled in an academic program, please explain how you will use this time. Otherwise write N/A. (2000 char)

Have you experienced academic difficulties, had any grades below "B minus," or any course withdrawals while in college?
In this space, provide brief details regarding academic difficulties, grades below "B minus," or course withdrawals. (2000 char)

What breakthrough in clinical or research medicine would you like to see occur within the span of your career in medicine? Why? (750 char)

The complexity of healthcare delivery increasingly requires interdisciplinary teamwork. What lessons have you learned from sports, music, business or other experiences have prepared you to succeed in this environment? (750 char)

What profession would you choose if not medicine? (750 char)

Please share with the Admissions Committee why you are interested in UCF COM. (750 char)

Were you required to work during your college years?
If you answer yes, they ask you provide a brief description of why employment was necessary. Also include an estimated hours per week that you were required to work. (750 char)

Please provide a short essay to help us understand who you are. This essay should be different from your AMCAS Personal Statement. UCF COM places great value on the broad diversity of our students within the classroom. We believe the diverse characteristics of each individual in the class are important factors in serving the educational missions of this school and of our community. Please discuss any unique, personally important and/or challenging experiences in your background that have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine and service to others. These may include experiences such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, cultural background, or other significant events or circumstances that you feel have shaped your character and defined you as an individual. We are also interested on your thoughts about what you can contribute to your class and the medical profession in general. (two pages maximum, single spaced, no margins)
wow, this is pretty different from last years! Lol good thing I didn't pre-write. thanks for posting.

Has anyone not received a secondary? My LizzyM is 81 and I haven't received a secondary yet. I've already gotten secondaries at FIU, UMich, and Columbia. I'm a little bit surprised that I haven't gotten one.
Got one from FIU no UCF yet :((

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn’t worry about secondaries, guys. It’s only been one business day that schools have received primaries. I got two yesterday and no others since. UCF likely only sent one batch out so far. I wouldn’t expect any to go out this weekend.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn’t worry about secondaries, guys. It’s only been one business day that schools have received primaries. I got two yesterday and no others since. UCF likely only sent one batch out so far. I wouldn’t expect any to go out this weekend.
sanks

Just submitted my primary today, waiting on a transcript but love the fit at UCF! I have done a lot of stuff that deals with nutrition and education so hoping to get some love as an OOS :)

In this space, provide brief details regarding academic difficulties, grades below "B minus," or course withdrawals.
In regards to this secondary question, the only year where i got C's was my first year in college. My parents were recently divorced and it was my first experience being on my own/did not have my priorities in line etc. Obviously im going to elaborate more but would is this what they are "looking for"?

Talked with admissions. The website is down. He said to give it a few days as they are likely doing maintenance or something. He also informed me that the vast majority of the secondary will be identical to last years. The essay, for one, should be the same.

[QUOTE="REL,

If the admissions requirement is set at a minimum score of 500 for the MCAT, why does UCF not accept anyone lower than a 506/507 based on the MSAR data? Seems like the cut off for secondaries should be a 505 based on the data unless the MSAR doesn't show these lower scores?

[QUOTE="REL,

If the admissions requirement is set at a minimum score of 500 for the MCAT, why does UCF not accept anyone lower than a 506/507 based on the MSAR data? Seems like the cut off for secondaries should be a 505 based on the data unless the MSAR doesn't show these lower scores?
MSAR has a very small sample n=<150.
I'm sure they would accept someone with a lower MCAT if everything else was perfect In their app.

When the schools have a large selection of people to choose from though, if everything else is identical, they'll pick the better MCAT

If we have a pre-med committee letter packet that includes 2 character reference letters (along with the advisor letter and 2 from faculty), is this acceptable? Or do they truly have to be "individual"?

[QUOTE="REL,

MSAR shows the 10th percentile through the 90th percentile. So there may in fact be people with sub-505 MCATs who got in. You just don't get to see it. This is likely to give a better picture of the average student they accept so that applicants aren't as influenced by the outliers.

Is the 750 character limit a hard requirement? I noticed that some of my responses are around 800-820 and they're still being saved. Will the application automatically cut out the excess after I submit?

MSAR shows the 10th percentile through the 90th percentile. So there may in fact be people with sub-505 MCATs who got in. You just don't get to see it. This is likely to give a better picture of the average student they accept so that applicants aren't as influenced by the outliers.

Thank you both for clarifying, I was a little confused about that.

Is anybody actually writing 2 pages for their diversity essay? Thats longer than the personal statement. Do you guys think 1 page is good enough if its good quality?

I did the 3 required things on the secondary... submitted the form, paid the fee, and uploaded the photo. But the site says that the photo is still not uploaded so the secondary will not submit. I have tried re-uploading multiple times, refreshing, logging out, everything. Is anyone else having this problem?

I did the 3 required things on the secondary... submitted the form, paid the fee, and uploaded the photo. But the site says that the photo is still not uploaded so the secondary will not submit. I have tried re-uploading multiple times, refreshing, logging out, everything. Is anyone else having this problem?
Uploaded fine for me. Make sure that, once you select the image file, you click "Upload" next to it. If this doesn't work, try changing your web browser. Might have to contact admissions if nothing else.

If we have a pre-med committee letter packet that includes 2 character reference letters (along with the advisor letter and 2 from faculty), is this acceptable? Or do they truly have to be "individual"?
I'd like to know this too.

@REL, can you please clarify? My committee packet has 4 letters (3 professors and 1 research MD) which all will be added to the dean's overall assessment. I also have a separate individual letter. Would this be sufficient for UCF?

Thanks for all your help.

Finished the 4 short essays.
Struggling a little with the last one. I feel like it's another PS.

I secondary is "submitted" and everything else is "completed" since July 2, but my status still says N/A. Is anyone complete yet?

@REL, is this normal or do I need to call the office?

Is it just me or when I preview the essay I wrote in PDF via UCF's portal, the paragraphs are all joined together? Would this be an issue or just a glitch?

Is it just me or when I preview the essay I wrote in PDF via UCF's portal, the paragraphs are all joined together? Would this be an issue or just a glitch?

That's odd. I wrote mine in Word and pasted into their program. It must have pasted paragraph breaks because it automatically indented and separated my paragraphs.

That's odd. I wrote mine in Word and pasted into their program. It must have pasted paragraph breaks because it automatically indented and separated my paragraphs.

Yea it is odd. Did it show the paragraph breaks in the PDF preview? I only saw the paragraph breaks in the comment box where we could type (I pasted it from Google Docs & also tried typing them out line by line but all futile).
I ended up just submitting it as it was. I emailed UCF to explain; hopefully they are able to see the paragraph form.

Yea it is odd. Did it show the paragraph breaks in the PDF preview? I only saw the paragraph breaks in the comment box where we could type (I pasted it from Google Docs & also tried typing them out line by line but all futile).
I ended up just submitting it as it was. I emailed UCF to explain; hopefully they are able to see the paragraph form.

In the PDF preview it showed up as paragraph breaks with indents. In the text entry box there were no indents and only line spaces.

This is my top school! Finishing up the last essay today and submitting. Took a lot of thought to write the last essay

This is my top school! Finishing up the last essay today and submitting. Took a lot of thought to write the last essay

Yeah, I was actually not planning on applying, but after doing the whole secondary and researching more about the school I like it a lot. I thought the secondary essay prompts were pretty thoughtful!

Yeah, I was actually not planning on applying, but after doing the whole secondary and researching more about the school I like it a lot. I thought the secondary essay prompts were pretty thoughtful!
I liked the essay topics but the last one is similar to another PS so it took quite a bit of time.

Hoping for some instate love

In the PDF preview it showed up as paragraph breaks with indents. In the text entry box there were no indents and only line spaces.
oh rip. i emailed them hopefully they don't despise my giant chuck of text :(

for the "if not medicine" question, did anyone go the "I can't imagine doing anything else" route or actually provide an alternative profession? not sure if there's a right or wrong way to approach this question lol

for the "if not medicine" question, did anyone go the "I can't imagine doing anything else" route or actually provide an alternative profession? not sure if there's a right or wrong way to approach this question lol
I feel like the "I can't imagine doing anything else" route is not what they're looking for. I talked about what I would actually do if I was not in medicine. I think they are using this question to see who you are outside of medicine. I could be wrong though. Any one else have thoughts?

I feel like the "I can't imagine doing anything else" route is not what they're looking for. I talked about what I would actually do if I was not in medicine. I think they are using this question to see who you are outside of medicine. I could be wrong though. Any one else have thoughts?
I agree with you!! 750 characters long, should give an honest answer--shows introspection. They obviously know that you want to be a doc or you wouldn't have gone through all the hoops to!

Greetings all, just a couple of quick notes for you:

1. Don't worry if your file has not been completed yet. Kudo's for getting this done, but we are really early in the process. Also two members of our small team have been away on personal business and meetings. We should get most of this sorted our by the end of next week.

2. Letters: yes we need five. They can be all wrapped up in a single packet, all individual, or some mix or a premed letter and other letters. It does not matter how they are delivered, we will find them as long as they are in your AMCAS application and designated to our school.

3. Short essays: The 750 or less should work for the answers. If you do write more that text will not be lost, but keep in mind we are not looking for War and Peace here. We have lots of applications to read so we don't want repetition, and we do really like writing that is concise.

4. The final essay about how you can contribute to the class and also not have to be two pages. Good writing will open with a summary paragraph about what we will learn; be followed by 2-3 paragraphs to develop those thoughts, and then a wrap-up paragraph. This can all be done in a single page.

5. Probably more, but I have been out of the office for 9 days and really want to get ready to hit it a good lick tomorrow.

Cheers all!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Greetings all, just a couple of quick notes for you:
1. Don't worry if your file has not been completed yet. Kudo's for getting this done, but we are really early in the process. Also two members of our small team have been away on personal business and meetings. We should get most of this sorted our by the end of next week.
2. Letters: yes we need five. They can be all wrapped up in a single packet, all individual, or some mix or a premed letter and other letters.
3. Short essays: The 750 or less should work for the answers. If you do write more that text will not be lost, but keep in mind we are not looking for War and Peace here. We have lots of applications to read so we don't want repetition, and we do really like writing that is concise.
4. The final essay about how you can contribute to the class and also not have to be two pages. Good writing will open with a summary paragraph about what we will learn; be followed by 2-3 paragraphs to develop those thoughts, and then a wrap-up paragraph. This can all be done in a single page.
5. Probably more, but I have been out of the office for 9 days and really want to get ready to hit it a good lick tomorrow.

Cheers all!
Thank you for this :)
I've been writing the final essay for the past few days and the advice you offered really helps.

Just double checking my anxiety, the letter from a peer doesn’t need any special requirements like a letterhead or anything? Will just a signature suffice?

Just double checking my anxiety, the letter from a peer doesn’t need any special requirements like a letterhead or anything? Will just a signature suffice?
Correct, however we also need a way to contact the author so to include a phone number and email address would be needed.