2018-2019 University of Central Florida

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by gyngyn, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Thefutureisbright

Lol, same!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SnP500

Pre-Medical
    @REL when do you guys usually start offering acceptances to people in the lower one-half of the upper one-third of the waitlist? Also when can we expect the next status update? Thanks and apologies if you’ve already answered these questions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

3. REL

REL Senior Member
    Faculty Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Selecting those for interview is not necessarily based on when an application was completed. Completed applications will be reviewed by AORTA teams of physicians and faculty from August through then end of application evaluations in January. Those selected for an interview will generally have demonstrated a consistency of medical motivation (volunteering/shadowing), consistency of humanism (comm svc vol), and a strong teamwork ethic. They will also have metrics that make the committee comfortable with their ability to be successful in our curriculum and also successfully pass the board exams that will lead to being successfully licensed as a physician. Completing an application early will place an applicant in a position to be selected for an interview earlier and during more weekly reviews as the committee selects interview groups.

4. REL

REL Senior Member

5. Princess Pre-Med

Thanks so much for your input. When you say "through the end of application evaluations in January" does this mean that the last batch of interviews go out in January? I apologize if you've answered this before!

6. REL

REL Senior Member

January is when AORTA typically finishes evaluating all applications to be included in the EFI group. We like to give at least a two week notice for interview invitations. Since our final interview date is in early March I would anticipate receiving the names for that final interview date somewhere in the middle of February.

7. applepie1212

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    By sending updates and a letter of continued interest in the program, would that affect our position on the waitlist?

TaiLopez likes this.
  8. Cooooooool

@REL How does the committee view Letters of Intent either before we are notified that we are Accepted/Not Yet Accepted or after we've been placed on the Not Yet Accepted/Waitlist? It's my #1, and I'd drop all apps to go here, so I was contemplating sending one. Thoughts from anyone else would also be appreciated. Thanks!

9. djsbaseball2014

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Anybody get an update yet today? They usually send them on Wednesdays right?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. medgirl1112

Accepted!

chewydog and djsbaseball2014 like this.
  11. djsbaseball2014

2+ Year Member

Congrats!! Did they just call?

medgirl1112 likes this.
  12. medgirl1112

About an hour ago

13. Soon_to_be_MD

Pre-Medical
    I’m having trouble finding the accepted students Facebook page. Would someone mind sharing the link? Thanks!

medgirl1112 likes this.
  14. medgirl1112

Yeah I’m having trouble finding it too

15. SteyrFWB

2+ Year Member

REL, when does UCF ask for accepted student's Certiphi background check?

16. werunthis

2+ Year Member

When will the next update be for not yet accepted? and how likely will someone in the top half of the upper third get off the WL before May?

17. chewydog

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Try searching on Facebook by copying and pasting the name given in the email and then sorting by "Closed Groups" only. You might have scroll a little bit before you see it, but that's how I found it. I think it's lower on the search algorithm results due to its relative newness and number of members.

medgirl1112 likes this.
  18. REL

REL Senior Member

When it is initial available. I dont think that AMCAS sends the info to Certiphi until then end of January or early Feb?

19. REL

REL Senior Member

There is a pretty good chance that an offer of admissions could occur during the remainder of the interview season. If not I would suggest there would be a likely offer during April or very early May if this year is similar to the past.

20. TheGoodPre-Med7

@REL New to this thread, but I was curious if AORTA is still offering interviews. I applied early in the cycle and I would be thrilled to stay with UCF for another 4 years (Charge On!). And if UCF-COM is still offering interviews, would it be worth it at this time to send a letter of intent?

21. Hi_I'mPaul

Just in case he doesn't respond, he said this earlier in the thread about interviews:

"January is when AORTA typically finishes evaluating all applications to be included in the EFI group. We like to give at least a two week notice for interview invitations. Since our final interview date is in early March I would anticipate receiving the names for that final interview date somewhere in the middle of February."

So, there is still time. As for the letter of intent, historically it is used after someone is interviewed, but that is just from what I've heard/read. I would most definitely recommend sending them significant updates though! I would think those would hold more weight than an LOI at this point anyway. Just my opinion, of course. Good luck!!

TheGoodPre-Med7 likes this.
  22. Gator2010

Forgot to chime in, I was initially waitlisted in Dec, but received the call last week that I was accepted! Keep the faith up, UCF is an awesome program!

23. djsbaseball2014

2+ Year Member

Did January updates go out yet for not yet accepted? I know he said last week, but I didn't get anything :/

24. svantovid

He said he would send an update email sometime this week

25. SteyrFWB

2+ Year Member

Pound for pound, if the applicants have the same high stat, I have to assume the probability will the same, or may be even higher because you stand out amongst the late applicants. Late applicants are late for some reasons; some aspect of application is late or late in arrival.

But pound for pound, if you are a strong applicant, I would assume your chance would be as good as early applicants. Nevertheless, that is not the case for most late applicants, ergo, probably less. Just my nickel.

#475 SteyrFWB, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  26. fighterofthenightman

Pre-Medical
    To add some further context to @SteyrFWB's reply, based on my memory of what REL explained on the interview day, I don't think your chances (if we're going to discuss admissions as probabilities) are significantly impacted.

If I'm remembering correctly, all UCF CoM interviewees are given a quantitative score by the admissions committee at a weekly committee meeting that occurs a few days after the interview day. This score is then used to rank every applicant UCF has interviewed so far throughout the interview season. The admissions committee then selects a handful (I think it was ~5) from the top of the cumulative, ranked list of interviewees to admit. Every other interviewee continues to be under consideration and re-ranked at each week's committee meeting until the class of admitted students is filled and interviews are complete in late spring (I think it was April).

So, while I personally don't think probability is the best framework through which to evaluate admissions, because of UCF's system, your "chance" of admission remains relatively consistent throughout the interview season (at least by the numbers).

svantovid and southflts like this.
  27. applepie1212

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Has anyone gotten a waitlist update ?

28. fighterofthenightman

Pre-Medical
    Nope. The last contact I had from UCF was the "December Status Update," which I received in the first week of December.

29. MJ925

I got an update yesterday

30. applepie1212

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Was it through portal or email?

31. MJ925

Got an email from Rel

32. djsbaseball2014

2+ Year Member

Also received an update email from REL today (am in the upper half of upper 1/3rd) FWIW

33. Medatack

II last week for early February!!! IM SO EXCITED I LOVE THIS COOL SO
    MUCH and truly believe in their program. I’ve been researching and learning about the school pretty much every day since the cycle started and I’m from central Florida.

34. BunsenBeaker

You're really going to love UCF. Great interview day; happy students.

35. ranne13

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Does anyone know if a letter of intent would be helpful while on the Not Yet Accepted list? I have multiple acceptances, but UCF is my top choice. I just don’t know if letting them know would make any difference since my application is already ranked‍. :shrug:Thanks for any info!

36. 901_Shelby_Drive

Shoot your shot

fighterofthenightman and ranne13 like this.
  37. southflts

Pre-Medical
    Does UCF accept application updates, and if so how?

901_Shelby_Drive likes this.
  38. Seyeydnav

Is there a Facebook page for admitted students yet? If so, could someone please post the link.

901_Shelby_Drive likes this.
  39. mia2672

Pre-Medical
    On the portal it’s in the attachments tab

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

southflts likes this.
  40. katy-tink

Can we send an email indicating interest in the program even if we have not gotten a interview? UCF is my top school of choice, but I wasn't sure if a letter of intent/interest is something that should be done before or after interviews.

southflts likes this.
  41. katy-tink

Also, does anyone know if we send letters of intent via email or as an update in the portal?

42. southflts

Pre-Medical
    I submitted an update of school stuff and EC's trough portal, like research, work, awards, stuff like that, and at the end I wrote about why I want to attend this school, cause its also my top choice, so I hope it was ok for me to do that. But the interview season is almost over and I still haven't herd back, so why not.

43. Barre-fanatic

Don't give up just yet! I got an interview invite this week for early Feb! I'm ecstatic this is my number one! This program has everything that I want in a school!:soexcited:

CCoffee, southflts and TaiLopez like this.
  44. Gymnast97

Congrats! That’s exciting to hear! Do you mind sharing your stats?

45. Onthemoonallday

Pre-Medical
    Does anyone know usually when UCF stops giving out interviews?

TaiLopez likes this.
  46. scrapy

The matches year after year are impressive, but can someone explain how these matches are able to happen without UCF, as a relatively newer program, having home programs in many of the specialties (derm, plastics, ortho, etc)? How do students get to do research in these specialties?

SnP500 and fighterofthenightman like this.
  47. 19kei

Pre-Medical
    Waitlisted in upper one-third. Interviewed 1/11.

48. katy-tink

Their website says that February 22nd is the last day they'd notify applicants if they got an interview.

49. mia2672

Pre-Medical
    Feb 22 is the last interview day. So they stop giving out invites earlier than that.

50. More data

Pre-Medical
    Just got a call for an interview on their last date, 2/22.

OOS, complete start of July.

This is the first contact I have had with the school since completing the secondary.