2018-2019 University of Central Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I think we’ve all seen the astounding number of 2018 matches into the competitive specialties, but something I wonder is why are there not many matches in FL or UCF? If I were to come to UCF, I would probably want to practice in Orlando or FL.

II earlier today!! Complete 7/31. Lake Nona on Friday, Disney on Saturday babyy!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My first II just now!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think we’ve all seen the astounding number of 2018 matches into the competitive specialties, but something I wonder is why are there not many matches in FL or UCF? If I were to come to UCF, I would probably want to practice in Orlando or FL.

There are some simple answers to that. 1) The biggest reason is that about 75% of our students do seek a residency outside of FL because they can. This is because three-year data shows that our NBME score averages are into upper half of the upper quartile of the nation. Also the FIRE module in our curriculum sets our students up because they now have had a research experience in med school that is appealing to residency directors. The result of these things is that top residencies are available across the nation where our graduates go. On the flip side of this, very very few of the nation's top residency programs exist in FL. 2) UCF has recently opened about 300 of our planned 650 residency positions; they should all be available in about two more years. Couple that with increasing residency positions at Lake Nona by the Nemours Peds Hospital and the newer VA and there will be about 800 new residency positions available in the Central FL and the Ocala and Gainesville areas.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Do students often go to cocoa beach (~1 hr away from lake Nona)?

Asking for a friend

Their secondary application has been down for the last week for me, anyone experiencing something similar? It says the questions aren't available. I filled them out, then the website went down for maintenance, and it has been down since.

worth submitting secondary here 5 weeks after?

Their secondary application has been down for the last week for me, anyone experiencing something similar? It says the questions aren't available. I filled them out, then the website went down for maintenance, and it has been down since.
Not sure what you are experiencing. System has been up all of that time. Email admissions office to determine why you cannot access the link.

Are the interviews open or closed file?
Partially Closed. The interviewers are provided with your AMCAS Personal Statement, AMCAS Activities section, and the entire UCF Supplemental Application. They do not have access to your academics or schooling or any other information. The interviewers will gain access to what we provide 3-4 days prior to the interview.

Partially Closed. The interviewers are provided with your AMCAS Personal Statement, AMCAS Activities section, and the entire UCF Supplemental Application. They do not have access to your academics or schooling or any other information. The interviewers will gain access to what we provide 3-4 days prior to the interview.
Thank you!

is there any interview-specific forums? My ii is next weekend and want to know what I should specifically prepare for this one

is there any interview-specific forums? My ii is next weekend and want to know what I should specifically prepare for this one
Look at last year's thread. SDN also has interview feedback for students to leave their opinions about the school. Honestly, the mentality for interviews is it's yours to loose especially this early in the game. Be prepared, be yourself and be happy to be there and you'll do well. Go get em

Does anyone know what percent of in-state applicants "eligible for interview" get interviews.

Just checked my portal today and I am "eligible for interview". Not sure when my status changed as I have not been checking the portal, but my app was complete on 8/30. OOS URM LizzyM 69

Does anyone know if UCF is open to in the area requests? I'm driving 7 hours to central Florida for an interview late this month, and I'd like to take advantage of having already traveled that far if it's possible. Thanks!

Missed a call from the assistant director of admissions today, guessing it’s an II

edit: it was an II, scheduled for october 1st

Last edited:
@REL or Letters of Intent post-interview? Thank you.
@REL I would also love to hear your thoughts on writing a post-interview letter of intent. UCF is my number 1 choice, and I am interviewing there at the end of the month. Could this be viewed negatively in any way to write a letter of intent so early?

@REL I would also love to hear your thoughts on writing a post-interview letter of intent. UCF is my number 1 choice, and I am interviewing there at the end of the month. Could this be viewed negatively in any way to write a letter of intent so early?

Wait till they decide to accept or wait-list you. You should be able to communicate in your interview why ucf is your number 1 and that should suffice. LOI is usually for wait-listed applicants

Wait till they decide to accept or wait-list you. You should be able to communicate in your interview why ucf is your number 1 and that should suffice. LOI is usually for wait-listed applicants
Yeah, I've heard something similar, thanks.