Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

2018-2019 University of Central Florida

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by gyngyn, Apr 21, 2018.

1. richiexrich

Medical Student (Accepted)
    @REL or Letters of Intent post-interview? Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. miaminative

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Complete 7/24

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DRDills

@REL I would also love to hear your thoughts on writing a post-interview letter of intent. UCF is my number 1 choice, and I am interviewing there at the end of the month. Could this be viewed negatively in any way to write a letter of intent so early?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using SDN mobile

4. 901_Shelby_Drive

Wait till they decide to accept or wait-list you. You should be able to communicate in your interview why ucf is your number 1 and that should suffice. LOI is usually for wait-listed applicants

richiexrich likes this.
  5. noisepollution

Pre-Medical
    Also wanting to know this....

901_Shelby_Drive likes this.
  6. richiexrich

Yeah, I've heard something similar, thanks.

7. runnergirl379

II last week! Really surprised since I'm OOS. Just wondering, does anyone happen to know UCF's position on OOS students switching to IS tuition after the first year? MSAR says it's per the state statute, but I'm not really sure what that is.

McDreamer91 likes this.
  8. Zumy10

Pre-Medical
    It's pretty strict in Florida. Apparently you need to be residing in Florida for 12 months before the start of school to qualify or you need to marry someone who is a resident of the state.

runnergirl379 likes this.
  9. runnergirl379

So if I lived there for 12 months after starting, would I be able to switch to IS tuition?

10. Zumy10

Pre-Medical
    I don't think so since those school years don't count unfortunately

runnergirl379 likes this.
  11. Hirro

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm OOS as well. I just looked it up via the FLDOE website and you have to 1.) marry someone who is/becomes a resident, 2.) purchase a home in FL, 3.) show intent to stay in FL post-graduation by having a job lined up in which you plan to work for at least 12 months post-graduation, or 4.) already be living in Florida for 12 consecutive months prior to enrollment. Definitely check the website for these details, though, if you plan on using it. I didn't really cover all the "what-ifs" for this.

Other than that, the options are to enroll for a year and submit an appeal for residency reclassification after living in Florida for 12 months. Obviously, there has to be an objective reason for your submitting it and evidence you plan to make Florida your permanent home (i.e. your spouse lives & works in the state and is now considered a resident).

runnergirl379 and richiexrich like this.
  12. FutureDoctor06

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just submitted my secondary here two days ago. Really liking this school! Hope I'm not too late.

13. REL

REL Senior Member
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Absolutely. Money and time are valuable and we want applicants to make wise use of both.

14. REL

REL Senior Member

we
    According to the state statute it is difficult to change your residency "for tuition purposes" after you begin an academic program (BS,MS,MD, etc.). "For tuition purposes" is your goal, otherwise you can easily change to a FL resident once you have lived in the state, gotten proper documents (FL Drivers License, etc.). The trick, and your purpose, is to change your tuition charges to FL and about the only way to do that is to marry an already established FL resident or look into the HPSP or NHSC federal scholarship programs.

Typically the state schools receive funding from the state to reduce the cost of educating its state residents. The state will not do the same for non-state residents. So a general med school example might be that annual tuition charges may be $30k for a med program, but the cost of educating that student may be assessed as $60k, that means that the state is reimbursing that program $30k per year per state resident attending. Because the state will not reimburse the program for non-residents that non-resident is responsible for the entire cost of education ($60k) in this example.

Luckily we have community support that has provided some scholarship monies for all students accepted to our program and to date, every student has received some amount of scholarship money annually. Because we value non-Florida residents and reserve about 30-35 seats annually for them, we feel some responsibility to help share the pain of the extra $30k. While a scholarship committee makes these decisions based on merit/need it appears that the average award to a non-resident is in the area of $15k per year. They still pay more than a state resident, but we are trying our best to share that pain.

#264 REL, Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    Zumy10, Hirro and runnergirl379 like this.
  15. southflts

Pre-Medical
    AORTA - ELIGIBLE FOR INTERVIEW SELECTION today, I'm hoping for some in state love

16. gu5andr3

II today!

3.91, 523, IS

17. 901_Shelby_Drive

Congrats! @REL When do you suspect applicants with MCAT scores closer to the UCF's average will be invited?

milgauss17 likes this.
  18. Amarantaa

For the connection to Florida essay, I'm wondering if a few sentences is acceptable. I usually try to use at least 80% of the word/character limit provided, but I don't really have much to talk about for this one. Thoughts?

19. Ravioliisgreat95

First II invite last Friday, 3.6 gpa and 514 mcat and IS, as ORM as it gets. I submitted my app 8/20 and was eligible for an interview about a week later.

Raavenclaw likes this.
  20. 901_Shelby_Drive

What days are available now?

21. Indianfatty96

If you dont mind me asking, when were you complete with your secondary?

22. Ravioliisgreat95

I think 10/12, 10/19, and 10/26 when I got the call

23. gu5andr3

August 16th

#273 gu5andr3, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  24. beexoxo

secondary complete 9/10 just received AORTA - ELIGIBLE FOR INTERVIEW SELECTION today. IS

25. opossumparty

Pre-Medical
    II by phone call today. OOS, no ties, complete early July

26. 901_Shelby_Drive

Wow. Congrats lol

27. 901_Shelby_Drive

What dates are available

28. opossumparty

Pre-Medical
    Beginning of November

29. TFizzle

II this past Wednesday. 3.85 cGPA 516 MCAT. It's my first interview so I'm terrified lol.

30. Indianfatty96

When did you complete your secondary?

31. 901_Shelby_Drive

Bump

32. NoThislsPatrick

@REL Do you know if rotations at Florida Hospital will at all be affected by the building of UCFs new university hospital? Will students still be rotating through FL Hospital for the foreseeable future?

33. djsbaseball2014

2+ Year Member

II!!!!! OMG just got the call about 20 minutes ago! So excited to interview here :) Secondary complete: 8/30, Date i was given was Nov 9th

MJ925 and futureFormerChild like this.
  34. 901_Shelby_Drive

Congrats!!! Stay ready so you don't have to get ready

35. REL

REL Senior Member

To the best of my knowledge we will always have clinicals at our partner hospitals. The UCF hospital will only be able to provide a portion of our clinical training needs. It is our goal to continue to be a partner to all of the clinical entities from VA and Nemours, to FH, OH, and HCA hospitals, the Bay Pines VA, Naples Community Hospital, and other HCA hospitals in Ocala and Gainesville. We certainly will not minimize these partnerships.

36. djsbaseball2014

2+ Year Member

Are there any current students or students who recently interviewed in the thread? I had a few questions in preparation for my interview! :)

37. finalname

OOS II on Monday. LM 73. The interview is for October 26th. Super excited.

djsbaseball2014 likes this.
  38. 901_Shelby_Drive

That's interesting.. interview groups really are constructed then I guess

39. 901_Shelby_Drive

Any news y'all??

40. Gator2010

What do you mean by constructed?

41. 901_Shelby_Drive

Two individuals got II around the same time with vastly different dates. I believe they handpick and create groups based on what they're looking for. Pure speculation. Any idea when the class fills @REL? Are II for January for the wait list?

42. djsbaseball2014

2+ Year Member

Lmao why would any II be strictly for a waitlist spot? Sounds like a waste of time...

43. Happymadness

Happymadness MD applicant or whutevuh
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Bruh they can't do the groups thing because they give us options for when to interview (i.e. people getting IIs at the same time could end up on different interview days). FWIW, people on my interview day were primarily IS, with 1 or 2 OOS. Undergrad schools represented: UM, UF, UCF, Stanford, Tufts, GA Tech, Penn and I forget what else.

opossumparty likes this.
  44. 901_Shelby_Drive

My b

45. appleapple16

How was interview day ? :)

46. 901_Shelby_Drive

You just got an II?

47. MJ925

Interview day was amazing! I was impressed by the whole experience. Dinner before a great opportunity to talk to the med students and the dinner was paid for so definitely go if you can. Interviews are early so the rest of the day everyone is more relaxed. Lots of walking through the medical school and they take you to one of their affiliate hospitals as well.

appleapple16 and djsbaseball2014 like this.
  48. otisallen

Pre-Medical
    How long did it take to have your status changed from being reviewed to EFI or not competitive? I know it says 10-15 days but I was just curious what it was actually like for people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

49. FutureDoctor06

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just checked the portal and it turned into
    AORTA - ELIGIBLE FOR INTERVIEW SELECTION
    What does this mean? Is the selection process quick or slow?(OOS if this matters)

50. beexoxo

for me it took exactly a week, probably now that the applications are coming in slightly more sporadically it's taking a bit less time

otisallen likes this.