2018-2019 University of Central Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Im not sure where I read it but I think you stay AORTA until the end of the cycle if you're never selected to interview

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

As has been written several times in this thread, the system refreshes on even hours for about 5 minutes, when that happens your status will disappear or be NA. So this occurs at 12:00-05, 0200-05, 04:00-05, 06:00-05, 08:00-05, 10:00-05 both am and pm. It is not down for several hours, only a few minutes. If you are rejected you will get an email before the status is changed.

Can someone please help me determine if I would qualify as an in-state applicant? I was born and raised in Florida my entire life, but I moved out of state to attend college. I graduated in May of 2017 and have been living here since then. My parents are still living in Florida and I am not financially independent. However, I do have a full time job out of the state of Florida.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone please help me determine if I would qualify as an in-state applicant? I was born and raised in Florida my entire life, but I moved out of state to attend college. I graduated in May of 2017 and have been living here since then. My parents are still living in Florida and I am not financially independent. However, I do have a full time job out of the state of Florida.
12 months in Florida? If yes, resident. If no, no

12 months in Florida? If yes, resident. If no, no
I will not be in Florida for 12 months prior to matriculation. However, I am still a dependent under my parents who are Florida residents. Does this change things at all?

I will not be in Florida for 12 months prior to matriculation. However, I am still a dependent under my parents who are Florida residents. Does this change things at all?
Doubt it. But ask someone in admissions

I big factor will be whether you were claimed on your parent's taxes and if you still maintain FL DL, voters reg, veh reg. If you have applied to us you have access to the FL Residency Affidavit, fill it out and see how it flushes out. We will not ask for this affidavit until we have offered acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted!!

So thrilled and relieved.

Reactions: 8 users
Accepted! I love UCF and everyone I met there on interview day.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How heavily do preclinical grades factor into class rank compared to clinical grades?

Just cancelled my interview here, good luck peeps!

Reactions: 2 users
Ucf ranks it's students and isn't pass/fail??
I interviewed here recently and they say that they have letter grades during M1 and 2 as well because students try harder to do well if they don't have the mindset of "well, I just have to study enough to pass." Made sense to me!

Reactions: 1 users
Any current students out there? Got a few questions. It’d be awesome if any clinical students are there!

Yeah. I’m pretty sure 99% of schools rank with at least clinical. Some factor preclinical into it too, but the question is how much.

The faculty member in charge of our M1/M2 curriculum has been a student of med curriculum and med school assessment processes for much of his 20-30? year career. Data shows that there are 5 major grading systems in US MD programs and the stratification is roughly 20% for each process. That would suggest that there is not one clear grading that is considered better. Also please note that the notion of no competition in P/F systems is a bit of a mis-representation. Whether the students know it or not (almost?) every medical school does rank their students in some way even P/F. Rank stratifications are computed in the background. Yes, this is true for Yale and other programs regardless of what the administration says (according to their graduated and current students).

Data also shows that there is less stress in P/F systems during the M1 year, but great stress during the M2 year as the Step I approaches. In most P/F systems students do not really gain a good feel for where they are in their knowledge base with regard to Step I outcomes.

I will continue this thought when I have more time later today or tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone hear anything today? On my interview day they told us we would hear the 17th.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted!
Early in the morning around 9 am!
I can't wait to see UCF again :love:

Is anyone who was told they would get called today still waiting?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using SDN mobile

Did anyone get an email saying they ran out of time for the day to call? I’m guessing this means I was not accepted haha

Got an email the day before saying they didn't have time to call me. They called all of the accepted people first
On this week you are absolutely correct. Never in my 23 years of doing this did I have to resort to notifications via email. I would have much preferred to deliver each decision via telephone. I have always gone alphabetically through the list (either a-z or z-a) and had the necessary conversation with each person. I must apologize once again for having to deliver that information via email.

On this week you are absolutely correct. Never in my 23 years of doing this did I have to resort to notifications via email. I would have much preferred to deliver each decision via telephone. I must apologize once again for having to deliver that information via email.

No worries! I preferred the email notification because I would've been even more disappointed to find out via phone call.

Something I’m wondering: UCF has been matching into competitive specialties at a decent rate, but there is no home program for any of them. Other med students have said that no home program for a specialty is a disadvantage. Anyone care to shed some light on this?

And is it just me, or has UCF been matching consistently very well for psych 2016 onward? Previous years seemed to have less interest. I see that ucf has a psych home program

Something I’m wondering: UCF has been matching into competitive specialties at a decent rate, but there is no home program for any of them. Other med students have said that no home program for a specialty is a disadvantage. Anyone care to shed some light on this?

Love this question. I hope to provide a response later today.

Reactions: 3 users
Love this question. I hope to provide a response later today.

Awesome, and if you could discuss the UCF home programs and matching for those specialties that’d be great!

Got a call for an II yesterday! Complete early August.

Reactions: 3 users
Home residency might not grab their own students, especially in the highly competitive specialty.

A few years back, UM, with #1 ranked ophthalmology residency in US, had 18 of their graduating senior matched into ophthalmology.

But NONE of them matched into UM.

Some times familiarity breeds contempt.

On the other hand, UCF with no dermatology residency/ faculty connection, matches 6, 7, 8 seniors into dermatology , year after year. Crazy high number without much home dermatology guidance.

Home residency might not grab their own students, especially in the highly competitive specialty.

A few years back, UM, with #1 ranked ophthalmology residency in US, had 18 of their graduating senior matched into ophthalmology.

But NONE of them matched into UM.

Some times familiarity breeds contempt.

On the other hand, UCF with no dermatology residency/ faculty connection, matches 6, 7, 8 seniors into dermatology , year after year. Crazy high number without much home dermatology guidance.

With a ranking that high for optho UM is gonna want people from top tiers. You can see this pedigree trend in the residents there now. UM still matches high volume for optho each year

Frosting the Pumpkin!!

So what do you think of applicants who withdraw within 24 hours of their interview, or even the night before their interview day?

Someone did that??

Complete early September. Should I presume they haven't gotten to apps completed around that time or is that not necessarily the case?