2018-2019 University of Central Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
After my interview yesterday, all I can say is what a great school! Super impressed by them! If you get an II, take it

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently my chances of getting an acceptance from the waitlist is “as close to 100% as it gets” lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Why do you say that?

That’s what my update email said. Definitely got my hopes up lol. Is this school receptive to application update emails?

Reactions: 1 user
That’s what my update email said. Definitely got my hopes up lol. Is this school receptive to application update emails?
Got the same email today, and was called last week and told I was near the top of the waitlist so just gotta wait and see. I don’t think they accept anymore updates. They said everything had to be in by the Wednesday following my interview

anyone know what date(s) are currently being scheduled for interviews.... I know they only go through feb 22, and I am curious to know how close they are to that date with scheduling.

Reactions: 1 users
Are they sending out updates every Wednesday for the not yet accepted list?

Anyone know if they send out confirmation emails after sending updates

Hoping to get a good news call from Rel next Wednesday! I love that guy

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if theres a Facebook page for accepted students here?

Super excited! But I believe Rel had said they will make decisions today and he will notify tomorrow.
Rel said the committee was meeting on 12/18 and that he would be calling us 12/19 on his drive up somewhere with his wife lol I am pretty sure

Rel said the committee was meeting on 12/18 and that he would be calling us 12/19 on his drive up somewhere with his wife lol I am pretty sure
You are 100% right! I got my dates mixed up!

The suspense is killing me. I know only about 6 people get an acceptance call but the hope is still alive to be one of them!

ACCEPTED!!!

OOS and had high hopes but low expectations due to the statistical likelihood of admittance. This absolutely made my Christmas. REL, you’re a beautiful man, and I love you (and your school).

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if UCF is still sending out interview invites or have they all pretty much been sent out?

Got a call from the lovely REL this morning. Not yet accepted, but I'm still hopeful. Congrats to those that got the acceptance!

Waitlisted 12/19. The wait continues...

We will still be inviting for late January, February, and early March interview dates.
Great, thank you for your response!

I will definitely keep praying/waiting to receive one of the remaining invites.

UCF seems to be an amazing MD program! Also, my fiancé’s parents just moved to Orlando and we are hoping to be able to move there too =)

Second Look: Monday - April 8.
Any idea how far through the “Not yet accepted list” you are going to get prior to second look? Or should we expect to start hearing back post April 30th?

Congrats to everyone who’s been accepted!! I have a 3/2 townhouse with a room to rent for the next incoming class. Comes with its own bathroom. Room can come furnished or unfurnished. Gated golf community right near the medical school and across the street from Publix. This room will not last long. 700/month with internet and utilities included

My twin bro and I got IIs today, IS, lizzyMs of 77-78 completed secondary in august sometime. We both declined, so I hope some of you guys hear back soon about this great program!

Reactions: 5 users
My twin bro and I got IIs today, IS, lizzyMs of 77-78 completed secondary in august sometime. We both declined, so I hope some of you guys hear back soon about this great program!
Thank you. Ohhhhh UCF I dont have a 77-78 LM but I have heart <3

I am happy for those that have done well and have the chances to make these decisions. It is sounds like you have done your due diligence and made a good decision for yourself. Often these decisions are based on remaining at the same institution or close to home and other perceived comforts and relationships for many obvious reasons. Of course this can be a +/- in situations where you drink the local "cool aid" or listen to "peer-speak" and dont take time to do your research about programs or decline interviews. I encourage applicants to attend all interviews because you dont know what you dont know or may not realize that you have been biased by incorrect perceptions.

If a Florida resident you have eight MD program and two DO program choices. I only have access to MD data (MSAR) but arguably all of the MD programs have very similar entering class data. I recommend that you visit each if possible and find out what you do not know, you will likely be surprised by some things that you did not know; maybe some things you learn could also disappoint you too. During your visit/interview pay strict attention to the environment and the outcomes data and how that program prepares you for success by exposure to the spectrum of medicine and the outcomes into residency. One thing you will probably hear on all interview days is that every program purports to be above the national average on the Step 1. Of course this cannot be true. While UCF is a younger program we have already moved into the upper half of the upper-quartile of MD programs in outcomes based on 3-year national data based on comparative data from the residency match program. Their data shows UCF to be well into the upper quartile based on Step 1, Step 2, and research, and at the national average for volunteering while in medical school. You might also be surprised to find out that a comparison of the last two years of match information reported by each MD program that UCF leads the state in percentage of matches into the top 9 specialty areas that are considered to be the most competitive UCF is at 23% while the next three programs are 5%, 10%, and 12% less. Then there is Lake Nona, an area what was created to become the next big medical go-to place in the nation by our legislature. Our own university hospital will be open in December 2021 and from what I understand, with the exception of UM, we will be the only other MD program in the state to own and operate our own medical facility which will allow for more control and research opportunities. Finally there is Lake Nona and the overall structure of the development of a total environment that will encompass an upscale shopping and entertainment "downtown" health and wellness partners, housing areas, and medical facilities that are now partnering in healthy living and the home of the annual Lake Nona Impact Forum (see ).

Lots happening here and our students are integral in all that we do. Make sure you do assess all things as you make decisions to interview, I know that you will make the right decisions for yourself once you have all of the information. I wish each of you well.

Reactions: 9 users
I am happy for those that have done well and have the chances to make these decisions. It is sounds like you have done your due diligence and made a good decision for yourself. Often these decisions are based on remaining at the same institution or close to home and other perceived comforts and relationships for many obvious reasons. Of course this can be a +/- in situations where you drink the local "cool aid" or listen to "peer-speak" and dont take time to do your research about programs or decline interviews. I encourage applicants to attend all interviews because you dont know what you dont know or may not realize that you have been biased by incorrect perceptions.

If a Florida resident you have eight MD program and two DO program choices. I only have access to MD data (MSAR) but arguably all of the MD programs have very similar entering class data. I recommend that you visit each if possible and find out what you do not know, you will likely be surprised by some things that you did not know; maybe some things you learn could also disappoint you too. During your visit/interview pay strict attention to the environment and the outcomes data and how that program prepares you for success by exposure to the spectrum of medicine and the outcomes into residency. One thing you will probably hear on all interview days is that every program purports to be above the national average on the Step 1. Of course this cannot be true. While UCF is a younger program we have already moved into the upper half of the upper-quartile of MD programs in outcomes based on 3-year national data based on comparative data from the residency match program. Their data shows UCF to be well into the upper quartile based on Step 1, Step 2, and research, and at the national average for volunteering while in medical school. You might also be surprised to find out that a comparison of the last two years of match information reported by each MD program that UCF leads the state in percentage of matches into the top 9 specialty areas that are considered to be the most competitive UCF is at 23% while the next three programs are 5%, 10%, and 12% less. Then there is Lake Nona, an area what was created to become the next big medical go-to place in the nation by our legislature. Our own university hospital will be open in December 2021 and from what I understand, with the exception of UM, we will be the only other MD program in the state to own and operate our own medical facility which will allow for more control and research opportunities. Finally there is Lake Nona and the overall structure of the development of a total environment that will encompass an upscale shopping and entertainment "downtown" health and wellness partners, housing areas, and medical facilities that are now partnering in healthy living and the home of the annual Lake Nona Impact Forum (see ).

Lots happening here and our students are integral in all that we do. Make sure you do assess all things as you make decisions to interview, I know that you will make the right decisions for yourself once you have all of the information. I wish each of you well.

Thank you for this information! I had a quick question -- when deciding who gets an invitation is it random or by completion date? Thanks!

Count me in

@REL when do you guys usually start offering acceptances to people in the lower one-half of the upper one-third of the waitlist? Also when can we expect the next status update? Thanks and apologies if you’ve already answered these questions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Selecting those for interview is not necessarily based on when an application was completed. Completed applications will be reviewed by AORTA teams of physicians and faculty from August through then end of application evaluations in January. Those selected for an interview will generally have demonstrated a consistency of medical motivation (volunteering/shadowing), consistency of humanism (comm svc vol), and a strong teamwork ethic. They will also have metrics that make the committee comfortable with their ability to be successful in our curriculum and also successfully pass the board exams that will lead to being successfully licensed as a physician. Completing an application early will place an applicant in a position to be selected for an interview earlier and during more weekly reviews as the committee selects interview groups.

@REL when do you guys usually start offering acceptances to people in the lower one-half of the upper one-third of the waitlist? Also when can we expect the next status update? Thanks and apologies if you’ve already answered these questions.

The January status update should be sent next week.

I would guesstimate that the area of the wait list that you mention likely will receive heavy attention from mid-May onward if this admissions season is consistent with past year's. With the goofiness of the "How to Choose Your Med School" process that has put in place this year makes me unsure if this year will follow patterns of the past. My assumption is that Admissions Offices will mind their manners and approach this year cautiously and, if so, the season should be similar to the past.

Selecting those for interview is not necessarily based on when an application was completed. Completed applications will be reviewed by AORTA teams of physicians and faculty from August through then end of application evaluations in January. Those selected for an interview will generally have demonstrated a consistency of medical motivation (volunteering/shadowing), consistency of humanism (comm svc vol), and a strong teamwork ethic. They will also have metrics that make the committee comfortable with their ability to be successful in our curriculum and also successfully pass the board exams that will lead to being successfully licensed as a physician. Completing an application early will place an applicant in a position to be selected for an interview earlier and during more weekly reviews as the committee selects interview groups.
Thanks so much for your input. When you say "through the end of application evaluations in January" does this mean that the last batch of interviews go out in January? I apologize if you've answered this before!

Thanks so much for your input. When you say "through the end of application evaluations in January" does this mean that the last batch of interviews go out in January? I apologize if you've answered this before!

January is when AORTA typically finishes evaluating all applications to be included in the EFI group. We like to give at least a two week notice for interview invitations. Since our final interview date is in early March I would anticipate receiving the names for that final interview date somewhere in the middle of February.

By sending updates and a letter of continued interest in the program, would that affect our position on the waitlist?

@REL How does the committee view Letters of Intent either before we are notified that we are Accepted/Not Yet Accepted or after we've been placed on the Not Yet Accepted/Waitlist? It's my #1, and I'd drop all apps to go here, so I was contemplating sending one. Thoughts from anyone else would also be appreciated. Thanks!

Anybody get an update yet today? They usually send them on Wednesdays right?