2018-2019 University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Our mission statement is an expression of our core purpose and educational philosophy. In particular, it highlights the value we place on diversity since we regard the diversity of entering class as essential for educational excellence. Please write an essay on how you would enhance diversity at Pritzker and advance the Pritzker mission. We suggest that you limit your essay to about 550 words.

"At the University of Chicago, in an atmosphere of interdisciplinary scholarship and discovery, the Pritzker School of Medicine is dedicated to inspiring diverse students of exceptional promise to become leaders and innovators in science and medicine for the betterment of humanity."

2) Share with us a difficult or challenging situation you have encountered and how you dealt with it. In your response, identify both the coping skills you called upon to resolve the dilemma, and the support person(s) from whom you sought advice. We suggest that you limit your essay to about 550 words.

3) Please feel free to use this space to convey any additional information that you might wish the Committee to know. For example, if you are not currently completing a degree, please share your planned or current activities for this application cycle. We suggest that you limit your text to about 200 words.

There's also a prompt asking you to explain why you opted out of having a pre-med committee letter if your school does committee letters.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone get a secondary? They are supposed to be out today according to the website

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone else having trouble paying? the application fee isn't showing up as complete even though I paid it so I can't submit

Reactions: 1 user
anyone else having trouble paying? the application fee isn't showing up as complete even though I paid it so I can't submit

yep same here -- check the old pritzker thread and you'll see the same thing happened last year, eventually it sorted itself out.

Did you guys all receive the secondary invite in the morning?

Anyone else get that email encouraging to apply? Assuming it's a generic one geared towards URM, considering they said my "outstanding MCAT" and my score isn't even in their 10th percentile lol

Anyone else get that email encouraging to apply? Assuming it's a generic one geared towards URM, considering they said my "outstanding MCAT" and my score isn't even in their 10th percentile lol
I also got it and still waiting on the secondary

Reactions: 1 users
anybody else not get a secondary today?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I did too and just like you my MCAT score is nothing to write home about. Best of luck to you though!

Anybody get the payment check mark to show up?

Nope, still no payment checkmark. The page that popped up after you pay said it could take up to two days to process, which seems a bit ridiculous but I'd assume that's whats going on. A little frustrating that you can't submit until the payment processes

What a pleasant surprise, waking up to a secondary first thing in the morning.

Prompts for the secondary are here:

1) Our mission statement is an expression of our core purpose and educational philosophy. In particular, it highlights the value we place on diversity since we regard the diversity of entering class as essential for educational excellence. Please write an essay on how you would enhance diversity at Pritzker and advance the Pritzker mission. We suggest that you limit your essay to about 550 words.

"At the University of Chicago, in an atmosphere of interdisciplinary scholarship and discovery, the Pritzker School of Medicine is dedicated to inspiring diverse students of exceptional promise to become leaders and innovators in science and medicine for the betterment of humanity."

2) Share with us a difficult or challenging situation you have encountered and how you dealt with it. In your response, identify both the coping skills you called upon to resolve the dilemma, and the support person(s) from whom you sought advice. We suggest that you limit your essay to about 550 words.

3) Please feel free to use this space to convey any additional information that you might wish the Committee to know. For example, if you are not currently completing a degree, please share your planned or current activities for this application cycle. We suggest that you limit your text to about 200 words.

There's also a prompt asking you to explain why you opted out of having a pre-med committee letter if your school does committee letters.

Best of luck everybody!

@Lucca

Reactions: 2 users
I also got the secondary this morning, and I'm not even verified yet! Didn't know that this school did that, although I was expecting it from other schools :) Very excited, would love to go here of course!

Secondary received, good luck y'all! Also URM

Secondary received -> shoutout to UChicago for having a JD run their admisisons

Yeah, I got that one too and I didn't even designate my primary app to them! My MCAT is below their 10th percentile based on MSAR, but if you read their website their MCAT range is "504-528" so maybe I should send them my primary!

Mine just went in and my payment went through! Complete now

How long does it take for the payment submission to be updated on their website?

In the Alumni Relationship section, I can't find the actual med school as an option to click. They list all the other UChicago schools, but the Pritzker Med School is not on the list.... am I missing something?

The med school is under the biological sciences division.
In the Alumni Relationship section, I can't find the actual med school as an option to click. They list all the other UChicago schools, but the Pritzker Med School is not on the list.... am I missing something?

How long does it take for payment to be approved?

I also got the secondary this morning, and I'm not even verified yet! Didn't know that this school did that, although I was expecting it from other schools :) Very excited, would love to go here of course!
What is the reasoning behind why schools do this? So all applicants can have equal time to work on it or so they can begin reviewing secondaries as they arrive, even prior to verification?

What is the reasoning behind why schools do this? So all applicants can have equal time to work on it or so they can begin reviewing secondaries as they arrive, even prior to verification?
Neither. It's for the $$$

Got an email saying that payment has been received but no green checkmark on the payment section so can't submit. Anyone else in this situation?

Sometimes they look for superstars, and other times, to tax the hopelessly optimistic.

How bad is it if my "challenge" essay is 350 words but the "suggested limit" is 550? Hmmm...

[Edit: Scrapped my first draft and rewrote on a new topic, which now happens to be 540 words. But thanks for the advice anyway ;) ]

Last edited:
How bad is it if my "challenge" essay is 350 words but the "suggested limit" is 550? Hmmm...
Not bad. Say what you need to say and end it. Rambling will only hurt.

Payment issues anyone?

yes. the e-mail receipt said payment was processed today but the next "business day" it would process would be on Monday. Thinking we will need to wait until then.

Payment issues anyone?

I had the same thing happen, I think it was because I submitted yesterday (Saturday) but this morning (Sunday) it seems the payment went through and I was able to submit!

My letters still say not received though. Anyone have letters in yet?

I had the same thing happen, I think it was because I submitted yesterday (Saturday) but this morning (Sunday) it seems the payment went through and I was able to submit!

My letters still say not received though. Anyone have letters in yet?

Yeah my app is complete

Anyone know if II’s for U Chicago are going out early again this year, as they have in past years? In previous years it looks like they’ve come 7/7 or before.

Aka has anyone gotten one yet? Patience is hard....

Reactions: 3 users
What (if anything) is anyone writing for the optional prompt #3 (about any additional information that you would like the committee to know).

The example is about if you're not currently in school, but I feel that I've talked about my current career in my PS and activities section...

lol every time I get a notification for this thread I get worried IIs have started going

Reactions: 9 users
What (if anything) is anyone writing for the optional prompt #3 (about any additional information that you would like the committee to know).

The example is about if you're not currently in school, but I feel that I've talked about my current career in my PS and activities section...
If your current situation is already well developed and you have nothing new to add then leave it blank

is anyone using the Optional Prompt to talk about Why UChicago?

Or is it just to talk about gap year stuff?

lol every time I get a notification for this thread I get worried IIs have started going
Me too! Having panic attacks over here. I just want to hear back, but I do not know when they start doing that to even gage when to expect it.