2018-2019 University of Hawaii Burns School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post the secondary questions once you receive them. Check last year's thread in the 2017-2018 SSD forum for last year's questions, they tend to not change very much from year to year.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Hawaii at Manoa John A. Burns School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Secondary! OOS

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary! IS

Please provide responses to essay A and B. If you are a re-applicant, also respond to essay C. Please limit responses to 600 words per essay.

A) Please discuss any personal characteristics that make you a good fit for medicine, as well as a good fit for JABSOM. (600 word limit)*

B) Please describe how you have served your community (school, neighborhood, city, etc.) and how these experiences have prepared you for a career in medicine. (600 word limit)*

C) If you are a re-applicant to JABSOM, please complete the following additional essay. Describe what efforts you have made to further improve your application to the MD Program*

*3000 character limit for each prompt

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how they screen applicants pre-secondary? I got my first R here (pre-secondary) and I was shocked. My mom completed her undergrad at UH, and most of my family lives in Hawaii. So if there was any school I felt I had some sort of advantage at, it was here.

Kind of bummed I did not even get the opportunity to express my ties to Hawaii in a secondary. Would any feedback on how their screening process works!

Does anyone know how they screen applicants pre-secondary? I got my first R here (pre-secondary) and I was shocked. My mom completed her undergrad at UH, and most of my family lives in Hawaii. So if there was any school I felt I had some sort of advantage at, it was here.

Kind of bummed I did not even get the opportunity to express my ties to Hawaii in a secondary. Would any feedback on how their screening process works!

MSAR states secondaries are screened as follows:
“Those who minimally achieve the screening cut-off scores will be sent school-specific essays and forms. Individual deadlines apply.”

No idea what the actual score cut-offs are, but I could see them being higher for OOS students. As a state school, they are looking for people they are confident will stay in Hawaii. This is reflected by the fact 198/235 IS students were interviewed and only 73/1768 OOS were interviewed based on MSAR data.

Did anyone get a complete email after submitting?

I'm wondering as well... haven't gotten anything yet and the link they sent us doesn't show rec letter status or mcat scores

Finally submitted secondary! Canadian applicant hoping for some love

Reactions: 1 users
Submitted the secondary!! OOS applicant from California.

How long should we expect to hear back about interview invites?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh I'm sorry to hear that:( Was it pre or post-secondary?

pre. Pretty sure that I didn't make cutoffs based on the fact that I submitted pretty recently - 08/25.

Good luck at this school though!

II just now as well! OOS.

Oh man, it's begun...Praying for an II!

Received II yesterday. OOS! So excited!!!!!

Officially done with my JABSOM interviews! PM me if you guys have questions!

Accepted last week, IS. Incredibly grateful for this opportunity and willing to help/answer Qs!

Accepted last week, IS. Incredibly grateful for this opportunity and willing to help/answer Qs!

Are they doing away with the December/March notifications of acceptance? Seems super early to be hearing back about acceptances!! Congrats tho!!! That is so awesome!

Are they doing away with the December/March notifications of acceptance? Seems super early to be hearing back about acceptances!! Congrats tho!!! That is so awesome!

I believe if you're given a rating of 8+/10 by the committee then you're notified before March.

I interviewed at the start of October. Good luck on your upcoming interview!

Wow! That’s so exciting! Dr. Asano told me December/March so that’s super interesting that you got accepted already! You probably blew them away with your application. Did you apply early decision? Congratulations!

Wow! That’s so exciting! Dr. Asano told me December/March so that’s super interesting that you got accepted already! You probably blew them away with your application. Did you apply early decision? Congratulations!

I just finished my interviews as well. From what I have been told, if you've scored above a certain threshold you are notified soon after. Otherwise, we wait until March so they can rank us against all the other applicants.

Are they still sending out interviews? Was complete in mid August :(

I just finished my interviews as well. From what I have been told, if you've scored above a certain threshold you are notified soon after. Otherwise, we wait until March so they can rank us against all the other applicants.

Good to know! I hope your interviews went well!

Was complete end of august and I haven't heard anything back (IS), should I give the office a call??? I know the UH system is known for being a little unorganized....

Was complete end of august and I haven't heard anything back (IS), should I give the office a call??? I know the UH system is known for being a little unorganized....

Are you a first time applicant? My first time round, I was complete mid-August and didn’t hear anything until October.

II just now! I can't believe it!

Reactions: 2 users
I got an II yesterday as well. I am a little confused as to the set up. We are supposed to email our interviewers and set a date ourselves?

I got an II yesterday as well. I am a little confused as to the set up. We are supposed to email our interviewers and set a date ourselves?
Yes, you email your interviewers to set a date/time/place. Good luck, everyone I met at JABSOM was incredibly friendly and the interviews were fairly casual.

Withdrew my II here- good luck everyone!

Yes, you email your interviewers to set a date/time/place. Good luck, everyone I met at JABSOM was incredibly friendly and the interviews were fairly casual.
How long should I wait before following up for a response from one of my interviewers? One replied the same day but the other hasn't and it's been 2 days.

How long should I wait before following up for a response from one of my interviewers? One replied the same day but the other hasn't and it's been 2 days.

I would give it at least a week or two. It's the holiday season, so I wouldn't be too surprised about delays in response.

Hey all, I am a long time lurker but new to the forms.
Just thought I would start contributing back to the community by providing some data (I’m going to go through and add any II).
I received an II here a while ago (LizzyM 74.2, OOS). Really sad, because the school was one of my top choices but I ultimately withdrew my application. (I am trying to stay with my partner).

Let me know if you have questions!

Best of luck to everyone!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Accepted this morning! IS, 3.55 cGPA, 517 MCAT and interviewed early October

I'm so happy right now I can't believe it.

Accepted this morning! IS, 3.55 cGPA, 517 MCAT and interviewed early October

I'm so happy right now I can't believe it.

Congratulations! That's awesome. Still waiting to hear back. I don't have as stellar stats, so I'll probably hear back in March like most people.