2018-2019 University of Hawaii Burns School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted this morning! IS, 3.55 cGPA, 517 MCAT and interviewed early October

I'm so happy right now I can't believe it.

Congratulations!!! That’s amazing!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How long should I wait before following up for a response from one of my interviewers? One replied the same day but the other hasn't and it's been 2 days.

Have you heard back yet? I’ve been waiting for one of my interviewers to email me back and it’s been 10 days already...no response. Just wanna schedule it so I can schedule my last interview ):

Have you heard back yet? I’ve been waiting for one of my interviewers to email me back and it’s been 10 days already...no response. Just wanna schedule it so I can schedule my last interview ):
They ended up getting back to me after about a week. You can also email the coordinator for your final interview so you can see what dates are available! As long as you get back to them with the dates of your first two as soon as you have them confirmed. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
They ended up getting back to me after about a week. You can also email the coordinator for your final interview so you can see what dates are available! As long as you get back to them with the dates of your first two as soon as you have them confirmed. Good luck!
Thank you!!!

Just woke up to an II. Super excited but not sure how I’ll pay for the trip.

Accepted this morning! IS, 3.55 cGPA, 517 MCAT and interviewed early October

I'm so happy right now I can't believe it.

Congratulations on the acceptance! I was just wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing your extracurriculars? :)

Congratulations on the acceptance! I was just wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing your extracurriculars? :)
I did a lot of the usual premed ECs- tutoring, research, CNA work. I think my ECs were more impressive in that they told a cohesive story about working with geriatrics and life limiting illness . PM me if you want to know anything specific about my application.

For those who have interviewed - did they interview you close-file or open-file? How long were the interviews? Thank you!

For those who have interviewed - did they interview you close-file or open-file? How long were the interviews? Thank you!

The first 2 interviewers only have your secondary essays and personal statement.

Dr. Asano has everything. In front of her so hers is open file.

Each of my interviews were between 45 min-1 hour but they usually run closer to 30-45 min. Depends how chatty your interviewers are lol.

The first 2 interviewers only have your secondary essays and personal statement.

Dr. Asano has everything. In front of her so hers is open file.

Each of my interviews were between 45 min-1 hour but they usually run closer to 30-45 min. Depends how chatty your interviewers are lol.
Hey, how do you think the interviews went if you don't mind me asking? Conversational or more traditional questions being asked?

Hey, how do you think the interviews went if you don't mind me asking? Conversational or more traditional questions being asked?

I found the interviews laidback. It was more conversational but they did ask the traditional questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew my II, can't afford to fly in, Goodluck Y'all

Does anyone know how long it takes from the interview to find out if you've been accepted early (due to a high composite score)? Not saying im a candidate for this, just wondering when I should submit my last deposit for a DO school lol

Does anyone know how long it takes from the interview to find out if you've been accepted early (due to a high composite score)? Not saying im a candidate for this, just wondering when I should submit my last deposit for a DO school lol

I think one person on here heard back as soon as 2 weeks, but I was under the impression that 1-1.5months is the norm. Good luck!

I would just submit the deposit. Lol. I got into a DO school too and had to respond within two weeks. So I just took it haha. I think if you haven’t heard back by now, I would just submit the deposit.

I am OOS and interviewed earlier this month. Got the file closed email yesterday saying that my application is ready for them to start making a decision. *Fingers crossed*

Reactions: 1 users
Been waiting for mid-March to arrive since November. It’s almost here.

Been waiting since October for me. So ready for this. Based on previous decisions, we should expect it around match day. Which means March 15th?

Been waiting since October for me. So ready for this. Based on previous decisions, we should expect it around match day. Which means March 15th?

Yup! That’s the pattern from previous years.

Literally TORTURE, I’m here pissin my pants because March 15th kinda determines the rest of our lives no big deal

Literally TORTURE, I’m here pissin my pants because March 15th kinda determines the rest of our lives no big deal

Didn’t bother me much until mid February. Now it’s just unbearable.

Looking back at forum posts, it looks like you receive another confirmation email after your interview (regarding your file is complete?). Is this true for everyone? I interviewed a couple weeks back and haven't received one yet.

Also, curious if anyone has a sense of how much the 12 person interview panel cares about stats after the interview?

Looking back at forum posts, it looks like you receive another confirmation email after your interview (regarding your file is complete?). Is this true for everyone? I interviewed a couple weeks back and haven't received one yet.

Also, curious if anyone has a sense of how much the 12 person interview panel cares about stats after the interview?

Got mine couple days after my interview

I got mine an hour after my last interview...not sure if that's a good or bad thing lol

At first I thought they hated me. But after rereading the email, realized it stated that my file was just closed and not evaluated.

Last edited:
I'm with you guys - the suspense is killing me! How's the WL movement for JABSOM? Are OOS/Int placed on the same or separate WL as IS?

I'm with you guys - the suspense is killing me! How's the WL movement for JABSOM? Are OOS/Int placed on the same or separate WL as IS?

There are separate waitlists for IS and OOS. As for movement, it depends on the year.

The wait is torture. We usually find out the day before Match Day so we will probably find out on March 14 this year.

When I was scheduling my interview, Dr. Asano's office mentioned that they were extending the interview deadline this year. Do you guys know if that pushed back the decision date?

When I was scheduling my interview, Dr. Asano's office mentioned that they were extending the interview deadline this year. Do you guys know if that pushed back the decision date?

AAMC traffic rules recommend schools to give enough offers to fill their class size by March 15th. So, I doubt decisions will be pushed back.

Reactions: 2 users
AAMC traffic rules recommend schools to give enough offers to fill their class size by March 15th. So, I doubt decisions will be pushed back.
Well if that is the case, then the week has come! Good luck to everyone.

You are right. Last year, JABSOM sent out acceptance calls on March 15 :)

I’ve been waiting since October! I can’t wait for Thursday!! Holding 2 waitlist. JABSOM is my top choice and hoping for the best this week >_<
Good luck everyone!

Do accepted people receive phone calls or does everyone get an email?

From the previous year posts, seems to be emails. Has there been any OOS/Int acceptances this year?

ahh ok thanks! I think I'm going to be too scared to check my email all day lol. seems like a few OOS people have been accepted already. Only 10 OOS matriculate and I'm assuming they probably give offers to about 20 OOS in total.

Waitlisted. IS, found out at 10:50 am HST

Aaaaack. LOL. Luckily this school starts way before the other school I got accepted at. More. Waiting. Yay.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Ahhhhh, I’m so scared. I’m guessing they don’t send the emails in bulk. I haven’t received anything yet...

Ahhhhh, I’m so scared. I’m guessing they don’t send the emails in bulk. I haven’t received anything yet...

I don't remember what year I saw this in, but someone in a previous thread mentioned that it's just like one person sending out everything manually.