2018-2019 University of Illinois

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by gyngyn, Apr 21, 2018.

1. maklh

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I interviewed in September and apparently they haven’t even looked at my file yet. But there were people who interviewed after me who have been accepted/deferred. So it’s anybodys guess.

2. Ginaaaaaa

Sorry if this was already asked earlier in the thread (didn't see if earlier when I was looking), but can we send letters of continued interest? I know we can send updates, so I was thinking they'd accept these letters too.

also, I emailed updates more than 3 weeks ago, and they never acknowledged receiving them. They had acknowledged my previous updates. Anyone else running into this problem?

3. Ginaaaaaa

When I called, they said the next meeting was at the end of the month :/ but I will keep fingers crossed for Feb. 7

owlsandturtles and md_from_md like this.
  4. liutimot

Pre-Medical
    Yea I sent an update a while ago but never got the acknowledgment email. I'm just gonna assume that they got it. Maybe I'll toss in a letter of interest too.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. vm91x

Can someone help me with this one? On the website, looking at biology prerequisites, I can see that they require 2 courses of gen bio and one course of advanced-level bio, making this a total of 3 prerequisite bio courses. However, some people say that the website is wrong, and that they only require 2 bio courses in total (1 general bio course and 1 advanced-level bio course). Could anyone clarify this? I copied the text from their website. Thanks!

Biological and Physical Science Pre-requisites

• Two courses of general biology with laboratory
    • Two courses of general chemistry or equivalent with laboratory
    • One course of organic chemistry with an accompanying laboratory (Note: A second course of organic chemistry is recommended, or if required by the applicant’s institution)
    • One course of introductory biochemistry
    • Two courses of general physics with laboratory
    • One course of advanced-level biology (junior or senior level)

6. neuro312

I was wondering if anyone has a good answer to this but for people who interviewed and hadn’t heard anything in December or January, how specific was admissions in saying that “forwarded” simply means they hadn’t gotten to our files yet? interviewed in September and I’m having a hard time believing admissions hasn’t seen our files and am starting to wonder if the silence means we’re slated for rejection / waitlist without a possibility of deferral.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. kateismystarbucksname

someone posted this previously in this thread:
    "I got the deferred email and my portal updated to deferred status on Friday. I think there might be some confusion about what deferred means. I called today and this is my understanding from what I was told:
    People whose portals haven't updated and still say "forwarded" aren't "deferred" - the committee hasn't reviewed them yet. This is different from receiving an update that says deferred which means the committee has looked at your file and decided to defer the decision to a later date (February). So even though these two options have the same set of possible outcomes - finding out about acceptance, rejection, or (further) deferral in February - they aren't the same thing. Presumably those who have received a deferral rather than remaining "forwarded" have a lower chance of receiving an acceptance.

Some unknowns:
    -The order that files are being reviewed and decisions communicated (and what this says about competitiveness)
    -If rejections are sent out only on April 30 or if they're sent out before then
    -What your chances are once you're deferred"

i think if you're still on forwarded, it means they havent gotten to you. some people got updates that they were pushed to the next meeting on the portal which means they were looked at and then pushed to the next meeting for re-review. so if you havent gotten any updates yet, i think you're still safe. i dont think you're alone in still not hearing back even though you interviewed four months ago. stay strong we're all in this together :)

neuro312 likes this.
  8. kateismystarbucksname

i would just email their admissions committee for a solid answer :)

mmgrit35 likes this.
  9. owlsandturtles

2+ Year Member

I emailed them again about where my application stands (still stuck on "forwarded to admissions committee"), and got an email back from the admissions director saying Feb 7th, so I think we can be pretty sure that is the next meeting date. Who knows how many people they'll actually get to during the meeting though :/

Ginaaaaaa likes this.
  10. hopefullydoc117

Pre-Medical
    Does anyone know how long does it take for campus assignments to show up? Best of luck to all!

joannapremed and iamstressed like this.
  11. honey&champagne

Sorry if this has already been asked, but is this school still interviewing?

12. WorkandPork

wow been "forwarded to screening committee" since july and just saw that i have finally been moved to "under consideration". not expecting anything at this point but glad i have finally been moved!

crazyboutmicro, KoalaHug and SR71BLK like this.
  13. Shammyguy3

2+ Year Member

+1

14. kuzy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Still forwarded....

[​IMG]

15. baseballdude62

+1

16. Memes For Brains

+2

SR71BLK likes this.
  17. sophialively444

+3 my heart hurts

crazyboutmicro and SR71BLK like this.
  18. Postdoc2MD

Post Doc
    Based on the +3 that didn't see any change I wasn't expecting anything, but decided to check the portal anyway - mine has been updated to "under consideration" too! I can't say when it changed, but it was "forwarded to screening committee" when I checked sometime last week...

19. stresscentral322

Does anyone know what the pros and cons of Peoria campus would be?? I'm assigned there right now, and I don't know how I feel about it.

20. maklh

Peoria is a decent-sized city with enough to do. I grew up in a surrounding city and we went to Peoria for anything we needed - shopping, restaurants, etc. The hospitals associated with the medical school there are great hospitals, at least with my personal experiences. They are pretty busy as well and see a lot of variety. Most everyone in the surrounding areas comes to Peoria for healthcare because it is a pretty rural area outside of the city. If you have any specific questions about the city itself and not the school I can try to answer them! Again, most of this information is coming from my experience growing up in the area, I don't know much about the campus there itself.

truewolvgocrim1 likes this.
  21. hopefullydoc117

Pre-Medical
    Don't know much about your question, but had a question of my own. When were you accepted? Trying to see how long it takes for them to place you in a campus.

22. Mavski

The students at my interview in Rockford said that they have a great peds hospital that you can rotate through. So if you’re interested in peds, it might be a good place.

23. muffin14

I just checked my portal and I got my campus assignment at my second preference and was just accepted on 1/11

24. truewolvgocrim1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Where specifically on the portal? Is there a phrase somewhere saying “You’ve been assigned to X campus.”?

25. muffin14

Right under where is says primary and secondary campus requested it says “assigned campus:”

26. mylittlepony15

Does anyone know if they're holding spots at each campus for those of us who have yet to hear back?

27. mdfaithful

I was also accepted on 1/11 and am still waiting on campus placement as well!

Hang in there everyone on this thread! The waiting is incredibly difficult.

28. iamstressed

Accepted on 1/11 and assigned to Peoria!!! Beyond grateful!!

29. stresscentral322

seems like you are really knowledgeable about the campuses! Would you mind letting me about the pros and cons of the Peoria campus? BTW, is that where you go now?

30. Shammyguy3

2+ Year Member

Rejected pre II just now. IS complete end of August

31. zamba

Yes!

greatlakes101 likes this.
  32. Dr. ThorStrange

Stats?

33. Postdoc2MD

Post Doc
    There is still hope! Just got an II today! [Complete ~Labor day, in-state]

MedHead99, SR71BLK and KoalaHug like this.
  34. Shammyguy3

2+ Year Member

In sig, LM 67

35. 18purple

II just now, complete very late (not going to give date for privacy). Available dates are 2/4, 2/5, and 2/28. The first two were way too short of notice for me to arrange travel, so 2/28 it is!

In state, LizzyM 70, with family who attended UIC undergrad. Idk if that makes a difference!

MedHead99 and SR71BLK like this.
  36. sophialively444

Did you ever get the under consideration status?? Also I’m very sorry

37. Shammyguy3

2+ Year Member

Yea one week ago

38. beetschutefarm

for those who are deferred - do you think sending a letter of interest would help?

39. dustars

For those who have been accepted... have you received or know where to find information about the required immunizations for UIC? I want to get on top of this since this will probably be a lengthy process to get done.

40. hopefullydoc117

Pre-Medical
    +1

joannapremed and aleezard21 like this.
  41. mdfaithful

dustars likes this.
  42. dustars

43. hopefullydoc117

Pre-Medical
    Has anyone who has been accepted received their acceptance packet in the mail yet?

joannapremed likes this.
  44. aleezard21

Pre-Medical
    I only received a letter that said only "congrats on being accepted" ~2.5 months after acceptance but that's it, no more info

hopefullydoc117 likes this.
  45. iamstressed

Unfortunately no. I am going to start looking off of the 2018 admissions requirements while waiting for the acceptance packet in the mail. Hoping to hear more soon from them.

dustars likes this.
  46. WorkandPork

II!!! complete in july

47. TWM19

sorry to hear that... I am in the 'what the hell is going" stage. Silence since October. My status says your application has been sent to the screening committee. Did yours ever move past that before they rejected you? I just wanna know and move on.

SR71BLK likes this.
  48. sophialively444

Stats???

49. Shammyguy3

2+ Year Member

No it was thatbstatus for like 4 months, then finally "under review" for like 2 weeks

50. epremed

Pre-Medical
    Are out of state students always placed into the Chicago campus? On a related note, I created my account at myUIC, checked my profile and it says my UIC Connect application is set for Fall 2019 with Major listed as "Medicine-Chicago" and college listed as "College of Medicine at Chicago" but my applicant portal did not saying anything about campus placement. Anyone have any input if they already assigned me my campus selection on myUIC? Btw when I made my myUIC profile, I think the applicant portal deleted my applicant account so I can no longer log into the applicant portal. I also got accepted in January so if anyone from that date also made a MyUIC account, can y'all check to see if it says the same thing? Thanks!