2018-2019 University of Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted tonight. Out of habit, neuroticism, or just plain randomness I decided to check at 9:45 pm and the dreadful, even sickening status of “your application has been forwarded to the admission committee” finally changed to “congratulations...”. Can’t even explain in words the feeling that came with reading that word.

First acceptance of the cycle. Everyone that’s still in limbo, all I can say is to continue to have hope. I interviewed on September 17th, and my status didn’t change in the past 8 months until today. Not by 5pm, not even at 8pm, but at 9:45 it finally did and that’s all that matters. Keep your head up!

Congratulations!! We must have met on interview day :)

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted earlier this week, does anyone know if Chicago campus is full? Would prefer to be there. Also how long does it take to get campus preference? 2 weeks?

It only took 1 week for me.

I think we have to slightly reframe our concept of campuses being "full," since UIC says they're only accepting as many seats as they have anyway. So it seems like as people drop seats, the next person to be accepted roughly goes into the same campus that that person dropped from (assuming it's one of your two choices).

I appealed my campus placement, and the director said they'd be considering appeals as seats become available. Since the commit to enroll date isn't until July 1st (right?), it seems like they anticipate having a real waitlist soon, but hopefully will do campus appeals before placing people on the waitlist in a campus.

Reactions: 1 users
Got news from Peoria that the white coat ceremony is on the 9th of August at 2pm. Max amount of guests is four*. :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Finally got an Offer today. Interviewed in February. The portal changed from forwarded to admissions committee to Congratulations. SIIIIIIIIIIIIICK.

Reactions: 6 users
Am I missing something or does the pre-matriculation email and immunization compliance document not explain where to upload proof of immunizations? The other school I did immunizations for had a whole form that my doctor filled out and signed too.

Am I missing something or does the pre-matriculation email and immunization compliance document not explain where to upload proof of immunizations? The other school I did immunizations for had a whole form that my doctor filled out and signed too.
The email has an attachment for castlebranch - that's where you upload proof of immunization after placing an order for the campus you are assigned to. PM me if you have any questions.

The email has an attachment for castlebranch - that's where you upload proof of immunization after placing an order for the campus you are assigned to. PM me if you have any questions.

Ohhhhhh, I'm dumb. Thanks.

Congrats! Interviewed in January still nothing. Hoping for some good luck today
Finally got an Offer today. Interviewed in February. The portal changed from forwarded to admissions committee to Congratulations. SIIIIIIIIIIIIICK.

Did any previous MSAR data have the waitlist movement for UICOM? Is that info out there anywhere?

Has anyone ventured a call recently?
Also called. Absolutely nothing. "These is no final decision on your app right now." "Am I on the waitlist?" "I don't know." "Is there a waitlist?" "Can't say." "Are decisions still coming out?" "There may be a few decisions still being given out." "What should I do now?" "Keep checking your portal."

Also called. Absolutely nothing. "These is no final decision on your app right now." "Am I on the waitlist?" "I don't know." "Is there a waitlist?" "Can't say." "Are decisions still coming out?" "There may be a few decisions still being given out." "What should I do now?" "Keep checking your portal."

Call me overdramatic/petty, but I think all of us who matriculate need to make some sort of case to the dean that the way admissions was handled this year wasn't/isn't okay.

Reactions: 2 users
very frustrating wow

Members don't see this ad :)
Call me overdramatic/petty, but I think all of us who matriculate need to make some sort of case to the dean that the way admissions was handled this year wasn't/isn't okay.
Applicants applied thinking admissions was rolling, which changed mid-way through the interview season.
Applicants are bombarded with drastically differing numbers for cost of attendance.
Applicants were told decision dates, but those dates were not adhered to. Some applicants received decisions more than 6 months after the date they were told they'd get one by.
When decision dates were moved back, applicants were not told.
Admissions only meets every 3 weeks.
Applicants who were deferred did not receive portal updates.
Some acceptances come out between admissions meetings?
Did they really lose some of our interview files?
No email updates after the interview were sent.
No email about the waitlist (is there a waitlist) was sent, even as the website says all applicants will be waitlisted after April 30.
Calling admissions yields no information, as the people who pick up are not privy to any information.

Reactions: 5 users
For those who were recently accepted, any updates from longitudinal programs?

What do you mean by released? As in told if we are on a waitlist or last day to be accepted
I called today - they said that if we haven't heard anything yet, then we are most likely on the waitlist, and that the waitlist is supposed to be officially released July 1st. Other than that, she just said to keep showing interest (send updates) and checking the portal.

For those who were recently accepted, any updates from longitudinal programs?
I applied to UMED shortly after being interviewed. I was accepted last week and emailed and asked about interviewing for the UMED program and was told it was full.

If this explanation helps anybody, here’s what I think is going on: upon being accepted everyone is required at this point to either withdraw, choose PTE, or choose CTE. UIC has everyone on a ranked list and is checking that the total of PTE + CTE = 300 at any given point. If it goes lower, they’ll accept more so that it’s at 300 again.

Last edited by a moderator:
UIC has everyone on a ranked list and is checking that the total of PTE + CTE = 300 at any given point. If it goes lower, they’ll accept more so that it’s at 300 again.

My feeling is that although they have a ranked list, people's ranks will still be changing based on updates and new decisions until July 1.
Or else, it really makes no sense for them to tell us to continue to send updates and show interests.
On the other hand, nothing really made sense in this whole UIC admission process though.

My feeling is that although they have a ranked list, people's ranks will still be changing based on updates and new decisions until July 1.
Or else, it really makes no sense for them to tell us to continue to send updates and show interests.
On the other hand, nothing really made sense in this whole UIC admission process though.

I agree, same goes for any school

Reactions: 1 user

Though if the last committee meeting was the 16th, seems odd that rankings would be adjusted.

Just withdrew my acceptance from UIC. For anyone wondering, it could be worth sending an appeal letter if you would like to change your campus placement. I sent mine earlier in January and it was approved a couple of weeks ago (Peoria to Chicago). Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Can anyone confirm what the out of state tuition is for all four years? I’ve read slightly different things from different sources. It almost seems like it might be more expensive than some private schools.

Can anyone confirm what the out of state tuition is for all four years? I’ve read slightly different things from different sources. It almost seems like it might be more expensive than some private schools.

Without scholarship it’s north of $90k per year and might even be $100k with fees. Definitely more than a private school, or most any other school in the country for that matter

It's toxic

Withdrawing my acceptance from UIC. Good luck to all of you waiting to hear back!

Reactions: 7 users
Just withdrew my acceptance from UIC. For anyone wondering, it could be worth sending an appeal letter if you would like to change your campus placement. I sent mine earlier in January and it was approved a couple of weeks ago (Peoria to Chicago). Good luck to everyone still waiting!
If you don’t mind me asking, what type of info did you include in your appeal? I can also PM you!

Where did everyone get the July 1 deadline for CTE? When I had called and asked about this a few weeks ago the person on the phone couldn't provide a date for the deadline, essentially making it seem like there wasn't one. I realize all the materials are due July 1 (immunizations, background check, transcripts, etc) so is that where this date is coming from?

Where did everyone get the July 1 deadline for CTE? When I had called and asked about this a few weeks ago the person on the phone couldn't provide a date for the deadline, essentially making it seem like there wasn't one. I realize all the materials are due July 1 (immunizations, background check, transcripts, etc) so is that where this date is coming from?

I think I misspoke with that date, must have gotten it confused with all the other deadlines. I have edited my previous comment.

I think I misspoke with that date, must have gotten it confused with all the other deadlines. I have edited my previous comment.

No worries! Honestly, you could be correct and they are just not communicating it very well. It seemed odd to me that they wouldn't have any deadline. I'll probably call sometime soon and ask again just to be sure.

If you don’t mind me asking, what type of info did you include in your appeal? I can also PM you!

I cited a lot of experience with working in urban neighborhoods similar to Chicago. I also expressed interest for the UMED program, but eventually got waitlisted for that lol. My entire application screamed working with inner-city populations, so going to school in Chicago was a big factor for me.

Hi, does anyone know if we need to be CPR certified prior to matriculation or if there is a course included in orientation?

Per the CTE date - I called today and asked, and was told July 1st, just fyi.

If I submit my AMCAS and get accepted from an October interview in JUNE, will you guys and gals let me know if you can hear me scream from wherever you live?

Has anybody who was admitted after April 30 successfully appealed their campus placement? I’m wondering if it’s worth submitting at this point since spots at all campuses are few unless someone drops....

If you take a gap year out of state, does that put you at risk for becoming an out of state applicant if you were listed as in-state when you were applying?

If you take a gap year out of state, does that put you at risk for becoming an out of state applicant if you were listed as in-state when you were applying?

No. Your state of residence that you claim on AMCAS is all that determines it

What kind of budget are people looking at for housing? I’m looking around the Chicago campus and things are rather expensive. Do people live alone? Seems almost impossible given the COL in Chicago. Can any current students chime in on living strategies/where people tend to live/how living somewhere further yet cheaper might impact ability to get to mandatory things on campus?

For all of you that are still painfully staring at the "Your application has been forwarded to the admissions committee" line, I just had an extremely pleasant conversation with the admission office over the phone, and here are some information for us wretched souls:

1. The class is currently full as you all know.
2. If you're seeing the "Your application has been forwarded to the admissions committee" line it means you're on waitlist!
3. The waitlist obviously is RANKED, and they will automatically send acceptances according to the rank if anyone withdraw.
4. And since the waitlist is RANKED, it is apparently meaningless to send any updates to them at all.
5. The waitlist status will not be public. And since the first day of class in July 1, that is when the waitlist will end? (I couldn't quite understand what the person on the phone is talking about this part)
6. What should we do? Burn in eternal fire and check your portal every five minutes, like you've been doing for the past several months.

I'm personally pretty surprised to learn that they have a ranked waitlist. This is definitely not what I heard when I called and asked two weeks ago. Back then I was told that any activity updates were welcomed, and I even got a e-mail response from director Leila after I sent my update that encouraged me to send further updates.
But I guess this is what it is. I'm gonna finalize my AMCAS application for next year now.

Has anybody who was admitted after April 30 successfully appealed their campus placement? I’m wondering if it’s worth submitting at this point since spots at all campuses are few unless someone drops....
i talked to Leila and the Chicago campus is completely full and they are not doing any campus appeals, so it definitely is not worth it

Reactions: 4 users
For all of you that are still painfully staring at the "Your application has been forwarded to the admissions committee" line, I just had an extremely pleasant conversation with the admission office over the phone, and here are some information for us wretched souls:

1. The class is currently full as you all know.
2. If you're seeing the "Your application has been forwarded to the admissions committee" line it means you're on waitlist!
3. The waitlist obviously is RANKED, and they will automatically send acceptances according to the rank if anyone withdraw.
4. And since the waitlist is RANKED, it is apparently meaningless to send any updates to them at all.
5. The waitlist status will not be public. And since the first day of class in July 1, that is when the waitlist will end? (I couldn't quite understand what the person on the phone is talking about this part)
6. What should we do? Burn in eternal fire and check your portal every five minutes, like you've been doing for the past several months.

I'm personally pretty surprised to learn that they have a ranked waitlist. This is definitely not what I heard when I called and asked two weeks ago. Back then I was told that any activity updates were welcomed, and I even got a e-mail response from director Leila after I sent my update that encouraged me to send further updates.
But I guess this is what it is. I'm gonna finalize my AMCAS application for next year now.
Dang! So the class is full. Does that mean the class is full from people committing to enroll or from those who were accepted and anticipate to enroll? When is the deadline for commit to enroll and do you think there will be some movement happening after said deadline?

Dang! So the class is full. Does that mean the class is full from people committing to enroll or from those who were accepted and anticipate to enroll? When is the deadline for commit to enroll and do you think there will be some movement happening after said deadline?
Based on the information from above, I believe the deadline for committing to enroll is also July 1 (?), so after that date the wait list won't mean a thing at all.
Before that date there might still be movements (i.e. accepted students withdrawing to enroll in another school), but it is totally your call to take it optimistically or pessimistically.
At least this is what I believe the person from the admission office meant.

I think July 1st is the commit to enrol deadline. WL movement can still happen then.

i talked to Leila and the Chicago campus is completely full and they are not doing any campus appeals, so it definitely is not worth it

The heck? She told me two weeks ago that they would consider campus appeals as seats opened.

Hey all, I'm back here again with some more information for people in the "Your application has been forwarded to the admissions committee" bucket just like me. I just had an extremely pleasant conversation directly with Director Leila, and this is what I learned from her:

1. The class is full and for the past few days there haven't been any student that withdrew.
2. Activity updates ARE STILL WELCOMED. People's rank on the waitlist can still change according to their updates.
3. Decisions are still made by the committee once available seats pop up.
4. The admission office won't provide information on the rank for their waitlist because they don't want students to be misled on their chances to get into the program.

I know some information above sound somewhat different from what I posted yesterday based on my conversation with the person from the admission office. I believe the information here is more accountable since they come directly from Director Leila.
I'm posting this because I don't want someone to give up because of my post yesterday, so please don't blame me for the inconsistent information.
You know, you gonna expect some surprise every time you call the admission office.