2018-2019 University of Kansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Kansas School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any OOS have trouble paying the fee? It says "You may pay by credit card or e-check after the application has been submitted by clicking the following link (be sure you are ready to pay before clicking the <Pay Fee> link, as you will be redirected to another website)" but I see no link...

"The School of Medicine requires a minimum of three letters and has set a maximum of five letters. (We encourage you to have five letters.) If your school prepares a single premedical committee letter, please request two to four letters in addition to that committee letter."

My committee packet includes a committee letter and 4 other letters from references, does this fulfill the requirement or do I need to obtain more letters?

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m no expert but based on what they are asking for and what you described I’d think you are meeting the required amount of letters.

Has anyone gotten the secondary prompts yet? I am still in line for verification (hoping this week - I was slow pressing submit :( )

Good luck to all of you! <3

Provide relatively brief (1,000 character maximum) answers to the following questions. Use Notepad or other non-formatting text editors if you would like to copy-paste your answers from drafts prepared elsewhere. If you copy-paste more than 1,000 characters into a text box, you will lose your answer when you click the <Save> button. Required fields are marked with an asterisk.*

1. Describe your health care experiences that involved direct exposure to physicians' clinical duties and how they have shaped your desire to apply to medical school.

2. Describe examples of leadership experience in which you have significantly influenced others, helped resolve disputes, or contributed to group efforts over time.

3. Beyond academics (grades and MCATs), describe the most significant challenge you have faced and the steps you have taken to address this challenge.

4. Give an example of what you have done to make your community a better place to live.

5. Describe how you relate to someone who is very different from you. Examples of differences may be cultural, racial, religious, economic, gender/sexual orientation, lifestyle.

6. If you are not a Kansas resident, what is your specific interest in applying to the University of Kansas School of Medicine?

7. If necessary, update the information contained in your AMCAS application. Indicate grades earned, alterations in your proposed course work or graduation time, additions to your extracurricular activities, or other pertinent information.

8. If there are discrepancies in your application that have not been explained in your personal statement, use this space to clarify. Examples may include unexplained gaps in time, multiple undergraduate institutions attended, multiple course withdrawals, inconsistent academic performance, inconsistency between academic performance and MCAT scores.

9. If you are currently enrolled, or plan to be enrolled during the next academic year, in a graduate or professional degree program, please describe your status within the program and your intention to complete the program. You must also request a letter from your graduate program advisor or from the dean of your professional school. This letter must include acknowledgement of your application to medical school and a description of your status in the program.

10. If you are no longer a full-time student, briefly describe your current employment, community, medical, and/or educational activities.

11. For Repeat Applicants Only: Since your last application, note any relevant academic, employment, and personal experiences that enhance your ability to be a better physician.

12. For Combined MD/PhD Program Applicants: Do you also want to be considered as an "MD-only" applicant?

*13. Have you ever been convicted for violation of a regulation or law relating to controlled substances (answer YES or NO)? If yes, provide appropriate explanation(s), including the date(s) of conviction, case number(s), and the jurisdictional court(s) involved.

*14. Have you ever been convicted of a felony (answer YES or NO)? If yes, provide appropriate explanation(s), including the date(s) of conviction, case number(s), and the jurisdictional court(s) involved.

Reactions: 1 user
Answered my own question lol never mind!

Last edited:
Was getting ready to submit my secondary but the website crashed...hopefully it'll be up again soon :meh:

Anyone have tips on how to enter pre-requisite course work if my school ran on the quarter system?

Has anyone received an II or any updates from KU?

How long did it take after you submitted your secondary for things to populate on the application status page?

How long did it take after you submitted your secondary for things to populate on the application status page?
I submitted the final piece of my application on 7/31 and saw "file complete" on 8/1. My letters of recommendation showed up on 8/1 as well. Does that answer your question?

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted the final piece of my application on 7/31 and saw "file complete" on 8/1. My letters of recommendation showed up on 8/1 as well. Does that answer your question?
Yes! Thanks! I finished my secondary this afternoon and it was still empty this evening.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

Oh yeah, you're totally fine! I bet it'll show as complete tomorrow or the next day. Congrats on submitting everything! Now you can sit back and relax for a while. :)

Oh yeah, you're totally fine! I bet it'll show as complete tomorrow or the next day. Congrats on submitting everything! Now you can sit back and relax for a while. :)
Thanks! There were a lot of questions on this secondary but I've heard great things about KU, I'm OOS though but nontrad with interesting story, which I'm told may help. Still waiting for my letters to show up. I assume they get them from AMCAS right?

It's always worth applying! Where are you from? And yes, they'll get your letters from AMCAS. I submitted my secondary a few weeks before my entire file was complete (I was still waiting on my AMCAS and MCAT score), so they had my letters before my file was complete. It took about a week for them to input my letters, so no worries!

It's always worth applying! Where are you from? And yes, they'll get your letters from AMCAS. I submitted my secondary a few weeks before my entire file was complete (I was still waiting on my AMCAS and MCAT score), so they had my letters before my file was complete. It took about a week for them to input my letters, so no worries!
Iowa :) Midwestern girl for sure

I got this secondary on July 6, any reason to submit it at this point? OOS, but really really like KC.

Good luck, EDP interviewees!!

Would you be able to share your interview feedback after your interview? I'd love to get an early idea of what KU's interviews look like this year. Thanks!

II today! Non EDP. They schedule the date for you. Mine is on Oct. 1st. Stats in signature. Pretty sure I’m group A

II today! Non EDP. They schedule the date for you. Mine is on Oct. 1st. Stats in signature. Pretty sure I’m group A

Congrats!! When was your file complete, if you don't mind sharing? And were you notified via email?

Notified via email, and I’m at work and can’t remember when I was complete. It was at or close to 7/16, though.

Congrats! I assume the interview for you is at the KC campus? Just curious as I requested a different site and am anxiously awaiting news! :)

Congrats! I assume the interview for you is at the KC campus? Just curious as I requested a different site and am anxiously awaiting news! :)
Yep! At the KC campus

Is it worth it to apply here as OOS, 508 mcat, 3.8 gpa with no ties to Kansas? I only lived in the midwest area for middle school and some of college...

Is it worth it to apply here as OOS, 508 mcat, 3.8 gpa with no ties to Kansas? I only lived in the midwest area for middle school and some of college...

I think if you're able to articulate why you would consider staying in Kansas, then it's worth it. That's probably the big question they might not be able to figure out from your app/background. If KU is a school you're really interested in, apply and see what happens! The worst case scenario is you lose $50 and some time working on the secondary.

Does anyone know if KU is still sending out October IIs?

my app says complete. Should it change to prelim review?

I can't answer that definitively, but in my case it has said "File Complete" for 2 months, so I don't think it changes (although I'm not sure if my app has been reviewed or not). Has anyone else had a different experience?

Last edited:
Accepted EDP as of last Friday! So excited to start the journey!

Reactions: 1 users
II today for Oct 23rd @ Wichita campus!

II today for Oct. 24th in Wichita! I am an Kansas City native who put Kansas City as my interview preference. Is there a specific reason they interview certain applicants in Wichita? Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think so - where you interview doesn't seem to have bearing on where you could be campus-wise if accepted? At least, previous year threads have indicated as such. I think initially it is a proximity thing (i.e. if you are particularly close distance-wise to a campus you are sent there for interview; I live 30 minutes away from the wichita campus) and then maybe an availability thing? Just speculating here.

Also can report for anyone interested, my secondary portal has no indications of status changes, just still says file complete.

For those who got an II this last week. When were you complete?