2018-2019 University of Massachussetts

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by gyngyn, Apr 21, 2018.

1. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Massachusetts Medical School

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 gyngyn, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2018
  2. Mr. Peanutbutter

Mr. Peanutbutter SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Verified Account

Pre-Medical
    Secondary Received!

Q1) Please respond to four of the following seven prompts related to competencies that are important for a physician to possess. (150 words/item, 600 words/total; please use the text box below for your answer, separate each of your four responses by writing the competency above/before your response; example: Teamwork - All teams have their struggles but they can be overcome...)

1) Describe a time when you have made a decision that was not popular and how you handled this. (Leadership competency)
    2) Describe a time when you were on a team that was dysfunctional in some regard. How did you address the situation? (Teamwork)
    3) Describe a meaningful interaction you have had with a person whom you have helped at work, school or another activity. (Empathy/Compassion)
    4) Have you ever been in the middle of a situation where there was poor communication? What did you do to improve it? (Communication)
    5) Describe a time when you have "thought outside the box" to solve a problem. (Inquiry)
    6) Describe a time when you suffered a setback. How did you respond to this challenge? (Persistence/Grit)
    7) Describe a challenging time when you advocated for someone. (Advocacy/Cultural Competence)

Q2) Please discuss any part of your application that you feel requires further explanation - for example, grades or MCAT scores that do not reflect your true ability, a gap in time that is not explained elsewhere in your application. If you are reapplying to UMass SOM, highlight how you have strengthened your application. (250 word limit)

Q3) If you have participated in UMass SOM or UMass Memorial Health Care, or UMMS Baystate sponsored programs (SEP, Summer Research Program, Worcester Pipeline Collaborative, AHEC, BaccMD, HSPP, Academic Internships, BSEP, Summer Scholars) please describe how these programs helped you decide to apply to UMass SOM. (200 word limit)

Q4) Why are you interested in UMass SOM? What will you bring to your class and the SOM community? (200 word limit)

Q5) If you are currently taking a gap year, in what activities are you engaged? (200 word limit)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DeadlyWarbler

DeadlyWarbler Biologist
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Received my secondary two days ago. Been working on these prompts. This is one of the more intensive secondaries I have seen, but is actually really thought provoking and a great opportunity to showcase things in and outside of my application. OOS applicant, so working with slim odds, but I do really like the school, so fingers crossed!

CJhooper123 likes this.
  4. NeuroSurgeo

Pre-Medical
    Hello. I received my secondary on July 3 and submitted it today, the 10th. I am early decision as chosen on AMCAS, but I did not see my early decision status listed on the UMass portal/application, nor did I see a place to indicate early decision on the secondary. Anyone have any info on this please?
    I am IS, MD, non-PURCH.

5. McDreamer91

Pre-Medical
    Anyone else's letters not showing up as received?

6. NeuroSurgeo

Pre-Medical
    Hi McDreamer, my LORs showed as being received just 2-3 days after I was first able to view the secondary on the UMass site.

McDreamer91 likes this.
  7. MTVL

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Does anyone know how strict they are with the two "pre-requisite" science letters? I have two science letters but they're from upper-level biology/neuroscience professors. I went to a very large school and many of the professors who taught large lectures just had too many students and I didn't get close enough to them to ask for a letter. Would be really disappointed if I couldn't apply since my letters are otherwise very strong...

8. toedrag

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I'm in the same boat. I have 2 strong science letters, but they're not from prerequisite classes (I'm a non traditional applicant). I'm assuming that would be fine as this is probably the case for a lot of applicants. It also says: "We will mark your application complete based on our office receiving letters from all of the individuals you list on your application. If there are any changes to your list of letters of recommendation, it is your responsibility as the applicant to notify the Office of Admissions of these changes in writing via email"...

9. Snickerdoodle1996

2+ Year Member

Mine are showing up as not recieved. I submitted my secondary around 10 days ago. I double checked amcas and I sent them to the school.

10. McDreamer91

Pre-Medical
    Mine were finally received yesterday after about 10-12 days

11. toedrag

Does anyone else have any insight on the LOR situation, specifically, which letters are required?

12. NeuroSurgeo

Pre-Medical
    Hello MTVL,
    I had the same reaction as you, and if I am not mistaken, this was different from last year. I reread the info when I was filling out my app, and I interpret it to say you must have the two letters from pre-req science OR a committee letter. It also seems to allow you to give an explanation for why you don't have the science letters if it is necessary in your circumstance. I think I would give the reason you state above.
    If anyone disagrees with my understanding of this, please let me know.

toedrag likes this.
  13. norahjc96

Pre-Medical
    Any UMass Med students on here who could answer a few questions??? I am IS and close with my family, so I would prefer to stay in MA if possible and I really like Worcester too...

1. What is your favorite thing about UMass?
    2. Honesty hour, what is your least favorite thing?
    3. What have clinical research/volunteer opportunities been like?

Thanks in advance!!

NeuroSurgeo likes this.
  14. Snickerdoodle1996

2+ Year Member

I submitted my secondary on 7/3 and my letters of rec have still not been recieved from AMCAS. Any thoughts on what I should do???

15. modernnarwhal24

Pre-Medical
    +1

16. MTVL

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    +2

17. enduring_operation

Pre-Medical
    I submitted on 07/03 as well and my letters have also not been received by UMass. I called admissions last week and they said it can take them 2-3 weeks this time of year to process everyone's application and mark the letters as received. I think UMass does not have the same staffing levels as some of the more expensive private schools, so it makes sense for them to take them a bit longer with things like this.

18. toedrag

FYI it also says on MSAR that they don't even start reviewing apps until August 1st

enduring_operation likes this.
  19. modernnarwhal24

Pre-Medical
    Submitted 7/14 and just got a confirmation that my letters were received

20. enduring_operation

Pre-Medical
    Excellent - you're ahead of the curve!

modernnarwhal24 likes this.
  21. MTVL

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Submitted 7/17 and received a complete e-mail around 7pm today (also they apparently have accepted my LORs even though I did not have two prereq letters for those of you in the same situation)

22. acciobutterbeer

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Is/was anyone's recommendations section blank? Mine were received through AMCAS weeks ago but nothing is showing up in UMASS secondary.

If so, did people submit with it blank or do you fill something in? Thank you!!

23. modernnarwhal24

Pre-Medical
    mine wasn't blank but i did submit it before they said my letters had been received

24. acciobutterbeer

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thank you! My letters ended up showing up like 2 hours after I posted that :rolleyes:

modernnarwhal24 likes this.
  25. enduring_operation

Pre-Medical
    Hmm interesting... my student service center still says my letters have not been received, despite submitting on 07/03 with letters also received by AMCAS. I will call them tomorrow and inquire, perhaps.

acciobutterbeer likes this.
  26. pepstc

II !! how’s the weather there?

27. norahjc96

Pre-Medical
    Stats, IS/OOS??

28. Potatoes&Avocados

Pre-Medical
    Trying to decide whether this is a clever play on words of a LizzieM score? ;)

toedrag likes this.
  29. hugh2012

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    When were you marked as complete?

30. hugh2012

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    When were you marked as complete ?

31. Premedneedsadvice

"Photo quality should be average; a smartphone image or similar should be used and not a professional quality photo."

im confused.. i have a photo of me in a suit that looks professional , i can reduce the pixel size but not exactly sure what they mean by this statement

32. MedSmithie

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    II received! Does anyone know what percent of interviewed applicants are accepted? OOS?

Pharaoh95 likes this.
  33. pippiptadoodlydo

II received yesterday! IS LM ~80

34. medappnervousomg

Has anyone received ii's for PURCH?

35. Detective SnowBucket

Pre-Medical
    When did you submit and are you OOS?

36. pippiptadoodlydo

Completed July 9th.

37. Premedneedsadvice

does the competency name count towards the work count?

38. biobeyotch

How long did it take you all to receive your secondary? I was verified 7/30 but still haven't received it... IS.

39. MedSmithie

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I was complete on July 13th.
    LizzyM ~75
    OOS (but many in-state ties)

Detective SnowBucket likes this.
  40. hopeforacure

2+ Year Member

Current UMass M3 with no time on my hands but a love for this school and for all the help I got through SDN when I was applying. Feel free to message me if you have questions!

hiragana and toedrag like this.
  41. Pharaoh95

2+ Year Member

II! Very surprised by this one! OOS, complete 7/14.

aqifjak likes this.
  42. queencaffeine

Received my first II ever here! IS, complete 7/13!

43. duckdocgoose

Pre-Medical
    Has anyone else had their residency forms reviewed yet?

44. Mr. Peanutbutter

Mr. Peanutbutter SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Verified Account

Pre-Medical
    I got an email on Monday saying that I don't qualify for residency but I wasn't trying to qualify since I live in NYS lol

45. duckdocgoose

Pre-Medical
    Hopefully that means we will hear back sooner than later

46. biobeyotch

I’m IS and got an email yesterday saying I qualify for residency. Completed 8/10.

47. apindian

Pre-Medical
    Just got an interview invite!

Dr.Mamba likes this.
  48. biobeyotch

Nice! When were you complete?

49. apindian

Pre-Medical
    Application was complete on July 20th.

50. Potatoes&Avocados

Pre-Medical
    II! Complete 7/26, LizzieM~70, in-state :)