2018-2019 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Miami Miller School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rising M3 in the MD/MPH program (God, it's already been two years). Happy to answer any and all questions regarding the dual degree or UM in general. Best of luck to all and let the games begin haha.

Reactions: 6 users
Rising M3 in the MD/MPH program (God, it's already been two years). Happy to answer any and all questions regarding the dual degree or UM in general. Best of luck to all and let the games begin haha.

Thanks for helping! The school emphasized that the students get to be "part of the team since day 1" in clinical setting. Can you tell me more about it from your experience?

Also, how's the weather in Miami? I am from SoCal and never been to Florida. I heard it's drastically different type of climate there. Mosquito :lame:?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for helping! The school emphasized that the students get to be "part of the team since day 1" in clinical setting. Can you tell me more about it from your experience?

Also, how's the weather in Miami? I am from SoCal and never been to Florida. I heard it's drastically different type of climate there. Mosquito :lame:?

As soon you get your ID, you can straight up walk into Ryder Trauma Center, look for a resident, and shadow. The first couple weeks you start learning physical exam maneuvers, etc and they take you guys on the wards to see patients and practice your skills. You can also volunteer at any of the student-run free/low-income health clinics and see patients. There are also a bunch of health fairs that we put on throughout the year. Honestly, there's a lot to do

In terms of the weather - it's humid af during the summer but you kinda get used to it...it starts to become less smothering lmao. Mosquitos are typically in the height of summer but not much of thing for the most part.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for helping! I was wondering if you could speak a little bit to the differences between the MD/MPH and regular MD programs. I know you said you are a rising M3 so probably do not have a whole lot of experience with rotations, but I had seen on other threads that the MD/MPH students rotate at different hospitals and it seemed that these hospitals may not have exposed the students to as much as the hospitals the regular MD students rotate at. I'm very interested in a MD/MPH but am curious about any differences in clinical training. Thanks in advance!

Thanks for helping! I was wondering if you could speak a little bit to the differences between the MD/MPH and regular MD programs. I know you said you are a rising M3 so probably do not have a whole lot of experience with rotations, but I had seen on other threads that the MD/MPH students rotate at different hospitals and it seemed that these hospitals may not have exposed the students to as much as the hospitals the regular MD students rotate at. I'm very interested in a MD/MPH but am curious about any differences in clinical training. Thanks in advance!

You see less zebras at the regional campus but I think people underestimate how much medicine you have to learn over 3rd year. You have to crawl before you walk; you can't identify super-rare pathology or even know what to do with it without the basics. You learn the bread and butter of medicine at the regional campus.

It also shines in terms of a higher instructor: learner ratio. Smaller number of students from other disciplines so you have a lot more opportunity to do things. During 4th year, you have the opportunity to come back down and finish out your requirements. It's honestly inconsequential in the grand scheme of your education. Students feel prepared for residency coming out of both tracks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

@teeayejay Two questions: What is the expected UW GPA/MCAT Score of a MD/PhD Dual Degree applicant (via MSTP)? Additionally, what is the expected UW GPA/MCAT Score of an applicant who ideally would like to receive one of the higher end scholarships ($30,000 a year or Full Tuition via the Reader Scholarship)?

Last edited:

Hey teeayejay! I am a Miami native and UM is definitely my dream school. After doing some public health work, I became deeply interested in pursuing an MD/MPH. Can you elaborate on what the curriculum is like for those dual-degree students and how it differs from the regular MD track? What type of applicant does Miller look for to admit into the MD/MPH program? I also noticed the program isn't P/F for the first two years. Is the environment collaborative despite that?

You may or may not be able to help me on a stupid admissions question, but I'm confused on whether I select the dual degree option or not on the primary app. The UM website says I apply regular MD and then select MD/MPH in the secondary app, but the primary app actually has an MD/MPH option as well (you can't select both MD and MD/MPH though). Is there two different MD/MPH programs or is the website and AMCAS app just not consistent? Do you remember when you specified MD/MPH?

@teeayejay Two questions: What is the expected UW GPA/MCAT Score of a MD/PhD Dual Degree applicant (via MSTP)? Additionally, what is the expected UW GPA/MCAT Score of an applicant who ideally would like to receive one of the higher end scholarships ($30,000 a year or Full Tuition via the Reader Scholarship)?

Unfortunately, I can't speak to this.

Hey teeayejay! I am a Miami native and UM is definitely my dream school. After doing some public health work, I became deeply interested in pursuing an MD/MPH. Can you elaborate on what the curriculum is like for those dual-degree students and how it differs from the regular MD track? What type of applicant does Miller look for to admit into the MD/MPH program? I also noticed the program isn't P/F for the first two years. Is the environment collaborative despite that?

Summer before M1: 6 weeks of three courses concurrently
-------------------
Fall M1: no course work; they want you to become accustomed to medical school
Spring M1: one course
*Complete Field Experience during Spring/Summer of M1
*Community Needs-Assessment project that spans M1 year (not that intensive)
-------------------
Fall M2 and Winter of M2: one course each; leave beginning of March for step 1 dedicated
Late Spring/Early Summer M2: Come back from dedicated, 6 weeks of three courses
-------------------
Move to regional campus for M3 for core rotations- monthly seminars throughout the year
-------------------
M4 - Four week public health rotation on regional campus (can return to Miami campus after finishing core rotations but may need to come back up to finish PH rotation if you didn't get it early in fourth year)
*Capstone project due beginning of M4 (which you would have been working on since M1)

Also Half our curriculum is set in small group, problem-based learning (PBL) where we meet 3x/week and work through a case with faculty. This would take the place of a portion of lectures and at the end of each case we come together as a class to discuss the case and make sure that everyone has accurately hit the objectives.

Program isn't pass/fail but everyone's pretty collaborative anyway. UM is a much more chill institution compared to other schools.

In terms of what they look for, they want folks who have a background that supports an interest in public health - maybe you have related job-experience, volunteer experience, degree in something related to PH, etc or maybe you just have a very compelling story that has pushed you in the direction of the MPH

You may or may not be able to help me on a stupid admissions question, but I'm confused on whether I select the dual degree option or not on the primary app. The UM website says I apply regular MD and then select MD/MPH in the secondary app, but the primary app actually has an MD/MPH option as well (you can't select both MD and MD/MPH though). Is there two different MD/MPH programs or is the website and AMCAS app just not consistent? Do you remember when you specified MD/MPH?

I believe you just go ahead and choose MD degree. The secondary application on their portal has a further indication where you can choose to be considered in both. I'd call or email just to be sure though as I don't know if things have changed on that end.

I believe you just go ahead and choose MD degree. The secondary application on their portal has a further indication where you can choose to be considered in both. I'd call or email just to be sure though as I don't know if things have changed on that end.
Great thanks, I'll give them a call! A couple more questions. I don't know the area very well but of course everyone knows how many Spanish speakers are in Miami, and that is one of the big things drawing me to UM. Do the Palm Beach and Broward County regional campuses still have large Spanish speaking patient bases? Second, I know you're not an expert on every MD/MPH program in the country, but is there anything specific that make UM's program unique?

Great thanks, I'll give them a call! A couple more questions. I don't know the area very well but of course everyone knows how many Spanish speakers are in Miami, and that is one of the big things drawing me to UM. Do the Palm Beach and Broward County regional campuses still have large Spanish speaking patient bases? Second, I know you're not an expert on every MD/MPH program in the country, but is there anything specific that make UM's program unique?
Not the person you asked, but as far as regional hospitals I think I can shed some light on them (correct me if I’m wrong, teeayejay, lol):

The hospitals that are part of the clinical rotations for MD/MPH are vastly different. As you probably know, a private hospital is going to have a different patient population than an academic center which is different than a public hospital. From what I understand, the regional rotations take place in these variety of hospitals, so you get a lot of different experiences and exposures (a strong suit IMO). But the short answer is yes there is still a large Spanish speaking population at the regional campuses. In fact, one of the cool things about the MD/MPH is that they have public health practicum rotations at the palm beach health department which runs its own clinic, and you end up seeing a lot of underserved Spanish speaking folks there. That, plus any capstone public health field work you do, definitely makes it a strong program for those interested in underserved Spanish speaking populations.

Reactions: 1 users

I'm not sure what the pt population looks like - from being up there a time or two, you'll definitely see some spanish-speakers but compared to being in the heart of Miami, maybe a bit less.

In terms of the uniqueness, I suppose the fact that it's integrated and you get both degrees in 4 years instead of 5. There are a couple other programs out there that do the same but many make you take that extra year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome, I'm applying to UM. If I could ask a more general question, what kind of providers would benefit most from an MPH? What concentrations in an MPH would be most useful?

Awesome, I'm applying to UM. If I could ask a more general question, what kind of providers would benefit most from an MPH? What concentrations in an MPH would be most useful?

An MPH, or more specifically a public health skill set and approach to health problems, is useful across the board in healthcare. On the one hand if you want to go into private Ortho joint replacement practice, you probably won’t use that skill set as much as if you’re an internal medicine or emergency physician. However, an MPH is broadly useful if you want to do surgery (and surgical subspecialties) in a global health type fellowship, and the skills you’ll pick up are broadly applicable to pretty much all research. Also any policy work will require this sort of skill set.

Basically, picking up public health schools allows you to approach problems in a different mind set than not having that exposure. Not to be cliche, but you see the big picture, population and community level, as well as the individual through clinical practice. And more importantly you learn how big picture interventions can affect individuals. I think this public health skill set and perspective is super important and everyone should get at least some experience with it, whether that be through an MPH or elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 users
An MPH, or more specifically a public health skill set and approach to health problems, is useful across the board in healthcare. On the one hand if you want to go into private Ortho joint replacement practice, you probably won’t use that skill set as much as if you’re an internal medicine or emergency physician. However, an MPH is broadly useful if you want to do surgery (and surgical subspecialties) in a global health type fellowship, and the skills you’ll pick up are broadly applicable to pretty much all research. Also any policy work will require this sort of skill set.

Basically, picking up public health schools allows you to approach problems in a different mind set than not having that exposure. Not to be cliche, but you see the big picture, population and community level, as well as the individual through clinical practice. And more importantly you learn how big picture interventions can affect individuals. I think this public health skill set and perspective is super important and everyone should get at least some experience with it, whether that be through an MPH or elsewhere.

I always say that our curriculum should honestly be the standard in terms of how you teach medicine

Reactions: 2 users
Is it possible to first matriculate MD and then get grandfathered into the MD/MPH program? I didn’t have the best relationship with my public health professor, and I don’t feel comfortable asking for a req. However, I feel that my public health experience qualifies me for pursuing the MD/MPH degree. It would also be useful to my long-term career goals of leveraging IT solutions to manage population health. Just curious!

Is it possible to first matriculate MD and then get grandfathered into the MD/MPH program? I didn’t have the best relationship with my public health professor, and I don’t feel comfortable asking for a req. However, I feel that my public health experience qualifies me for pursuing the MD/MPH degree. It would also be useful to my long-term career goals of leveraging IT solutions to manage population health. Just curious!
I'm confused. Can you not just apply to the md/mph without a LOR from that professor?

I'm confused. Can you not just apply to the md/mph without a LOR from that professor?
You can not switch between programs (this is made very clear during interview/applications). You can do an MD and complete an MPH during a gap year between third and fourth year (so finishing the MD in 5 years), or you can do the combined MD/MPH program in 4 years. There is no switching.

I don't think there are any differences in the letter requirements between the MD and MD/MPH programs, so you could just forego that letter and write about your experiences in the application.

@theKingLT @icedude2010 Thanks for the info. I thought you needed an LOR from a professor at a public health graduate school if you wanted to do MD/MPH. I just thought that was the policy for all med schools (like if you want to do a PhD, you need a LOR from a science professor or someone in the sciences).

@theKingLT @icedude2010 Thanks for the info. I thought you needed an LOR from a professor at a public health graduate school if you wanted to do MD/MPH. I just thought that was the policy for all med schools (like if you want to do a PhD, you need a LOR from a science professor or someone in the sciences).
I see your point. The letter requirements for both programs seem to be the same (just checked on their website to confirm). A letter from a PH prof may help, but not required as far as I know or can tell.

You don't need any additional letter if you apply for the md/mph; I don't know if you need an additional letter for the 5-year option. Between the MD and MD/MPH, you cannot move between the two; once you're in, that's it. Also, they will not let you graduate if you get into the md/mph and do not complete the requirements for the master's.

Hi all,

Wanted to introduce myself, I’m Knife & Gun Club. I’m a rising M3 in the MD program. Im currently studying for STEP1, but will be done in a week and love being a point of contact for people who are applying for Miami MD or Miami in general. It’s kind of a weird hobby of mine.

I’m a huge UM fan, and also someone who’s very interested in the whole med school admission process in general. I encourage you all to ask questions, either via PM or on here (tag me so I don’t miss it!).

I love UM and will update this list with a more detailed post about Miami after my exam. In the mean time, congrats on making it this far - many people who start out premed don’t even make it to the app stage.

Reactions: 6 users
Hi all,

Wanted to introduce myself, I’m Knife & Gun Club. I’m a rising M3 in the MD program. Im currently studying for STEP1, but will be done in a week and love being a point of contact for people who are applying for Miami MD or Miami in general. It’s kind of a weird hobby of mine.

I’m a huge UM fan, and also someone who’s very interested in the whole med school admission process in general. I encourage you all to ask questions, either via PM or on here (tag me so I don’t miss it!).

I love UM and will update this list with a more detailed post about Miami after my exam. In the mean time, congrats on making it this far - many people who start out premed don’t even make it to the app stage.

Good Luck on Step!!

@teeayejay Hey teeayejay, as someone interested in the MD/MPH, do most people accepted to this program have outstanding public health ECS (start their own nonprofit, lots of international trips)? How can one standout?

@teeayejay Hey teeayejay, as someone interested in the MD/MPH, do most people accepted to this program have outstanding public health ECS (start their own nonprofit, lots of international trips)? How can one standout?

Not really - we do have some folks who have done amazing things like international travel, etc but the vast majority have done things that were just meaningful to them. Research, work in health policy or with non-profits, volunteering with salient organizations, nothing too out there. They really just want to see that you have some dedication to public health as reflected in your experiences.

Do MD/MPH students rotate at Jackson Memorial Health at all? Or are all of the clinical rotations for MD/MPH students at the regional campuses?

Edit: Also, can MD/MPH students serve in any of the student run free clinics?

Last edited:
Do MD/MPH students rotate at Jackson Memorial Health at all? Or are all of the clinical rotations for MD/MPH students at the regional campuses?

Edit: Also, can MD/MPH students serve in any of the student run free clinics?

We rotate through Jackson if we choose to move back to the Miami Campus during 4th year. During your 3rd year, everything is at the regional campus.

You are allowed to participate in any activities offered to students regardless of track. The regional campus has student-run clinics as well.

We rotate through Jackson if we choose to move back to the Miami Campus during 4th year. During your 3rd year, everything is at the regional campus.

You are allowed to participate in any activities offered to students regardless of track. The regional campus has student-run clinics as well.

do you have the choice to move back for the entirety of the 4th year or just the second half? Is it competitive or by choice?

do you have the choice to move back for the entirety of the 4th year or just the second half? Is it competitive or by choice?

You're free to move back for the duration of your medical schooling after 3rd year and it's not a lottery system or anything like that lol

I was looking at the secondary questions from last year... the optional ones asked about fine arts, sports, student organization involvement, travel, and hobbies. I already mentioned these things in my primary, so should I talk about them again (I'd change my wording)?

How affected was the school during the hurricane, if at all? I'm applying here but dealing with hurricanes sounds like a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How affected was the school during the hurricane, if at all? I'm applying here but dealing with hurricanes sounds like a pain.

I'm a fellow applicant but also a South Florida native, so I can tell you that there's very little residual effects from the recent hurricanes. Keep in mind though that the recent storms were not quite as bad as they could have been. A direct hit from a major storm would be devastating for South Florida, but these kinds of major direct hits are rare--once every 25-50 years.

Yeah, @timephone is right. You'll probably get a few days off per year for a storm threat but there hasn't been anything really crazy in quite a while. After Hurricane Andrew, all the building codes were revised to Category 5 levels. That means that everything is pretty stout here and, unless you live in/own a house, you won't have to deal with many problems.. It would take a big dude of a hurricane to wreak any sort of havoc.

Always wondered why Miami is not considered "low-yield" by most people on SDN and reddit but its OOS interview rate hovers around 5%. Does Miami take a certain type of applicant?

Always wondered why Miami is not considered "low-yield" by most people on SDN and reddit but its OOS interview rate hovers around 5%. Does Miami take a certain type of applicant?

I bet a lot of people do not fill out Miami's secondary. I saw someone on here mention about 40-50% of the people that send in a primary to Duke do not send in a secondary due to the length. I would assume the case would be similar with Miami's behemoth of a secondary. So I would say the II rate is much higher than 5% all things considered.

I mean, 5% of 6000 is still 300 people, and an equal number of in-state applicants are interviewed (slightly less actually). And of everyone they interview they admit more than a third, unlike other schools which hover at around 10% admitted after interview. It seems like they just set a higher bar for interview invites. Also on the secondary there is specifically a question about "why Miami", which is likely answered more earnestly by in-state applicants (no offense!).

In terms of type of applicant, in two places on their website they list their evaluation criteria in the same order, implying a ranking of importance:
1.) "Academic and mental preparedness to study medicine", "science GPAs, MCAT scores"
2.) "Breadth of life experiences", "diversity of life experiences and accomplishments"
3.) "Demonstrated interest in and experiences in direct patient care", "the meaningfulness of patient contact experiences"

...followed by the rest of the usual suspects. I interpret this as saying that stats are the most important qualifier, however nearly as important are interesting ECs, including plenty of volunteering and clinical experience. I think this could be beneficial to non-traditional applicants who typically apply with more of these ECs, but not necessarily. Notably, they don't mention research experience anywhere in the admissions criteria--although it is asked about on the secondary.

EDIT: 10% post-interview acceptance is too low, the average is more around 25% according to posters below!

Last edited:
I mean, 5% of 6000 is still 300 people, and an equal number of in-state applicants are interviewed (slightly less actually). And of everyone they interview they admit more than a third, unlike other schools which hover at around 10% admitted after interview. It seems like they just set a higher bar for interview invites. Also on the secondary there is specifically a question about "why Miami", which is likely answered more earnestly by in-state applicants (no offense!).

In terms of type of applicant, in two places on their website they list their evaluation criteria in the same order, implying a ranking of importance:
1.) "Academic and mental preparedness to study medicine", "science GPAs, MCAT scores"
2.) "Breadth of life experiences", "diversity of life experiences and accomplishments"
3.) "Demonstrated interest in and experiences in direct patient care", "the meaningfulness of patient contact experiences"

...followed by the rest of the usual suspects. I interpret this as saying that stats are the most important qualifier, however nearly as important are interesting ECs, including plenty of volunteering and clinical experience. I think this could be beneficial to non-traditional applicants who typically apply with more of these ECs, but not necessarily. Notably, they don't mention research experience anywhere in the admissions criteria--although it is asked about on the secondary.

Jw, where did you find the 10% post interview admit number?

Jw, where did you find the 10% post interview admit number?

Just anecdotal from staring at applicant stats in MSAR. Reviewing now I see that it's not totally correct. Looks like Creighton is at about 25%, George Washington = ~12%, and NYMC about 20%. But everywhere will be different. Sorry to overgeneralize!

Just anecdotal from staring at applicant stats in MSAR. Reviewing now I see that it's not totally correct. Looks like Creighton is at about 25%, George Washington = ~12%, and NYMC about 20%. But everywhere will be different. Sorry to overgeneralize!

USNews gives stats on this (you can find info summaries on reddit). While it's probably not perfectly correct, it seems generally correct and ~25% is usually the lowest post-interview acceptance yield, with 30s-50s% being more common.

So last year’s secondary asked several questions about fine arts, sports, hobbies, etc. For these questions should we simply list our hobbies out, or should we also include why we like them? I.e “I love basketball because I like working as a team...” etc etc

I bet a lot of people do not fill out Miami's secondary. I saw someone on here mention about 40-50% of the people that send in a primary to Duke do not send in a secondary due to the length. I would assume the case would be similar with Miami's behemoth of a secondary. So I would say the II rate is much higher than 5% all things considered.

EDIT: 10% post-interview acceptance is too low, the average is more around 25% according to posters below!

That makes sense. Never really thought about the fact that the MSAR only looks at primary applications and not # of secondaries returned. It would make sense then that the actual interview rate would be a lot higher for schools that have monstrous secondaries (like Duke and UMiami). Luckily I am applying to both schools and plan on filling out the secondaries regardless of how long they are! Let's just hope for the best.

40-50% drop-off between primary and secondary applications is pretty high, especially for a top school! Did the person say where they got that number from? I certainly hope it is true because Duke is my top choice.

40-50% drop-off between primary and secondary applications is pretty high, especially for a top school! Did the person say where they got that number from? I certainly hope it is true because Duke is my top choice.
Who has money like that to just be paying for primary apps and not doing the secondaries?!

Who has money like that to just be paying for primary apps and not doing the secondaries?!
Apparently people either don’t look at past years secondaries or overestimate their abilities and time

Apparently people either don’t look at past years secondaries or overestimate their abilities and time

This is exactly why I still don't have a school list fully confirmed even though I already submitted my primary application for verification. I would rather take the time to actually decide what schools I want to apply to (based on online info AND secondary prompts) and am serious about and then add the schools to my primary once it gets verified.

As opposed to applicants that just add up 25-30 schools without having an idea of what the schools expect in terms of requirements and secondaries.

This is exactly why I still don't have a school list fully confirmed even though I already submitted my primary application for verification. I would rather take the time to actually decide what schools I want to apply to (based on online info AND secondary prompts) and am serious about and then add the schools to my primary once it gets verified.

As opposed to applicants that just add up 25-30 schools without having an idea of what the schools expect in terms of requirements and secondaries.
Same man. There's also the problem that even if all that works out along with stats, there's still no gaurentee that you'll even get an II let alone an acceptance

Miami's scoring formula is online if you know where to look ;)