2018-2019 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
3rd year MD/MPH - answering anything about the school other than specific admissions questions lol

Reactions: 1 user
3rd year MD/MPH - answering anything about the school other than specific admissions questions lol

Thanks! How do you feel about the work/life balance in the MD/MPH programs, and how are your fellow MD/MPH classmates? I'm curious about what kind of people the program attracts. Also, do you get to interact/hang out with people in the reg MD program, or people outside of med school? Sorry if you feel like these are stupid questions, they've just been sitting in my head for a while

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! How do you feel about the work/life balance in the MD/MPH programs, and how are your fellow MD/MPH classmates? I'm curious about what kind of people the program attracts. Also, do you get to interact/hang out with people in the reg MD program, or people outside of med school? Sorry if you feel like these are stupid questions, they've just been sitting in my head for a while

Work/Life balance is what you make it. Some students throw themselves in their studies. Some research. Some extracurriculars. Some students have a nice balance of them all. I don't know anyone who's completely neglected anything school-related in exchange for a robust social life haha. Personally, I'm great with studies, great with my life outside of medicine, extracurriculars are decent and sprinkled throughout, but I seriously need to get the ball rolling on my capstone project lol.

In terms of the type of student: Granted there are 3x more students in the md-only cohort, there's a higher ratio of md/mph students that very involved extracurricularly and it's historically been that way (theses are typically the type of students that the program basically self-selects). Many students hold or have held executive positions in many organizations or got involved in other volunteer endeavors.

In terms of cross-program interactions, it's what you make it. Some of us are moderately close with some md students, others are familiar, and a smaller portion don't really interact too much (they also tend to be more reclusive in general). I've been told from some md's that they felt a bit intimidated that we all knew each other before they started school but our class in particular made a conscious effort to get to know them. To my knowledge there's no animosity. We are put into academic societies that meet for random things, work together within extracurricular organizations, and share lectures every blue moon but after pre-clinical years, interactions become very slim unless you already made friends or happen to later rotate with each other during 4th year.

Most students don't really hang with people outside of medschool. If you happen to be a social butterfly or already know people in the area then sure but otherwise, the medstudents flock together.

Reactions: 2 users
I got a secondary on Monday, and was verified mid July, just took the CA$Per today though

Question from a pleb who just got a secondary today: how do we feel about discussing solo fitness activities that are not organized team sports? It’s a little ambiguous the way it’s worded “organized team sports, recreational activities that you play...” etc.

Question from a pleb who just got a secondary today: how do we feel about discussing solo fitness activities that are not organized team sports? It’s a little ambiguous the way it’s worded “organized team sports, recreational activities that you play...” etc.
Write it down. If you go to the gym, write it down. If you run in the mornings, write it down. No one wants nerds and Miami is definitely a school that tries to avoid nerd applicants.

Just for the record, you can be a nerd who likes to exercise/be healthy.

Reactions: 7 users
Can confirm. I max out on bench while listening to pre-med podcasts.
also interesd lol, heavy life long lifter here, legs are weak (I do them just not my strongest) but have a pretty good bench. I see you on here and reddit so im curious :p

also interesd lol, heavy life long lifter here, legs are weak (I do them just not my strongest) but have a pretty good bench. I see you on here and reddit so im curious :p

Best press is 315 for a double. I’m not an actual powerlifter it’s just my main hobby and I’ve done a couple competitions for fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
Best press is 315 for a double. I’m not an actual powerlifter it’s just my main hobby and I’ve done a couple competitions for fun.
Nice bro! my best is 335 for a one rep mex, but haven't gotten back to it bc of a neck injury. never competed but love heavy lifting as a hobby!

For the secondary: "Describe your most meaningful involvement in STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS"

Do y'all think it's ok to write about an org listed on primary as most meaningful, but from a different angle? Or should we write about a different org?

Last edited:
For the secondary: "Describe your most meaningful involvement in STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS"

Do y'all think it's ok to write about an org listed on primary as most meaningful, but from a different angle? Or should we write about a different org?
I wrote about an org that was one of my 3 meaningful but focused on it from another angle

Nice bro! my best is 335 for a one rep mex, but haven't gotten back to it bc of a neck injury. never competed but love heavy lifting as a hobby!

All of us who go here can bench at least 350 so you’re gonna have to step it up, sorry

I’m another avid lifter that applied here lol.

My max is 285 but I can get it up to 350 by this fall if that's what it takes for Miami to accept me.

My max is 285 but I can get it up to 350 by this fall if that's what it takes for Miami to accept me.
Meh, bench is overrated. My chest is bigger than most lifters but my max is around 300 because I have orangutan arms. But I can deadlift 500 and front squat 315 lol

Meh, bench is overrated. My chest is bigger than most lifters but my max is around 300 because I have orangutan arms. But I can deadlift 500 and front squat 315 lol

this has to be the swolest thread on SDN

Reactions: 4 users
that's a nice ass front squat, I have a short upper body but longer legs and have been through 2 acl surgeries so squatting doesn't come naturally to me like benching does. I prefer back squat tho I have no wrist flexibility which is needed for front squats lol

MMI's at Miami include a max bench, squat, deadlift. Automatic acceptance if youre over the 1k club

Reactions: 2 users
MMI's at Miami include a max bench, squat, deadlift. Automatic acceptance if youre over the 1k club

If it was for med school acceptance i think my 1.3k total would become 2.3k

When do you guys think miami will actually start sending out IIs?

Can someone help me understand how you know if you have been scored or not? What does it say?

Still not scored. If they aren't going to score me, can they at least send me a rejection now instead of at the end? Gosh, sometimes this process is just a complete enigma to me...

Still not scored. If they aren't going to score me, can they at least send me a rejection now instead of at the end? Gosh, sometimes this process is just a complete enigma to me...
Sometimes I feel like this process is like a monkey playing whack-a-mole. I got II's at places where I didn't think I would and silence from those I thought I would lol

Reactions: 1 users
They don’t email you. It just says on your secondary portal that you’ve been scored in the place we’re it used to say you were under review
Does is specifically say scored? Or does that whole “your app has been reviewed” thing mean the same thing?