2018-2019 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else still not scored? I’ve been complete since 07/10.

I am not scored either. It just says "being reviewed." I was complete late July.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just to clarify, is this the consensus for changing statuses:

"under review" (black) -> "being reviewed" (green) -> "reviewed"

Also I’m not freaking out about scoring, but is it possible to get the "reviewed" status multiple months after you submit?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone hear back today? My date was supposed to be today and hopefully I get a call later on...

Did anyone hear back today? My date was supposed to be today and hopefully I get a call later on...

They call around 5pm give or take a little. Some threads have people getting called as early as 430 and as late as 630

They call around 5pm give or take a little. Some threads have people getting called as early as 430 and as late as 630
Ok thanks haha, that's a bit reassuring. I thought it would be in the morning and was being super neurotic.

I’m wondering why some of us that interviewed 9/24 and 9/25 received calls at different times even though they clearly stated they’d reach out 10/17

ACCEPTED to the MD/MPH Program!!!! OMG this is surreal

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED TO MD/MPH today at 5:30PM via phone call!!!!!! THIS IS THE BEST FEELING! Still feels like a dream.
Does anyone who got accepted know how long it takes to get the email?

Reactions: 1 users
I’m wondering why some of us that interviewed 9/24 and 9/25 received calls at different times even though they clearly stated they’d reach out 10/17

Different adcom members probably got assigned different people to call and they probably called at random times. I don’t think there’s a reason behind it. Similar situation to what is discussed in old forums

Submitted 9/3, still under this status: "Your Application is currently under review by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine."

Same status still 2 weeks later

Different adcom members probably got assigned different people to call and they probably called at random times. I don’t think there’s reason a reason behind it. Similar situation than what is discussed in old forums
I got in yesterday too MD and MD and MPH.. are you picking which program you prefer in your email accepting the position?

How long did it take for you to receive the email after you got the acceptance call?

How long did it take for you to receive the email after you got the acceptance call?
Not sure if it will be different for MD/MPH but my caller told me the official MD acceptance email would be sent out sometime tomorrow.

Anyone know if and how updates can be submitted? I've seen this question asked a few times but never answered

anyone who got a recent interview invitation can tell me what the available dates were? trying to guess how much interview spots are still left...

Just to clarify, is this the consensus for changing statuses:

"under review" (black) -> "being reviewed" (green) -> "reviewed"
That's what I have

On a side note, anyone know how long it takes to go in between being reviewed to reviewed

That's what I have

On a side note, anyone know how long it takes to go in between being reviewed to reviewed

In my case, the status has been "under review" for 3 months now, so who can tell with these people. I don't know whether I should give them a call, but I'm feeling too disappointed to do so. Especially since I took the casper as part of their absurd last-minute requirement and wrote so many additional essays for them. If they are too busy to take a look at an application that was submitted months ago, perhaps they should cut down on the requirements instead of increasing them.

In my case, the status has been "under review" for 3 months now, so who can tell with these people. I don't know whether I should give them a call, but I'm feeling too disappointed to do so. Especially since I took the casper as part of their absurd last-minute requirement and wrote so many additional essays for them. If they are too busy to take a look at an application that was submitted months ago, perhaps they should cut down on the requirements instead of increasing them.
Someone did say that they don't score all the apps so there is a chance that we may be in that pile

Someone did say that they don't score all the apps so there is a chance that we may be in that pile

Nah fam, you're at least greenly "being reviewed". I reckon that you'll get passed on to a third person sometime in the future.

I bet "under review" is that you have yet to pass one person, "being reviewed" is that you have passed one person and may pass the second, and "reviewed" is that you've passed the first two and were thus deemed eligible for person 3 to complete scoring.

Nah fam, you're at least greenly "being reviewed". I reckon that you'll get passed on to a third person sometime in the future.

I bet "under review" is that you have yet to pass one person, "being reviewed" is that you have passed one person and may pass the second, and "reviewed" is that you've passed the first two and were thus deemed eligible for person 3 to complete scoring.
This..actually makes sense. Then again what if there’s really only 3 people reading all these apps and that’s why it’s taking so long!

I still don’t understand the 3 person system. If they don’t like your app on the first look why bother with a second? And why even have a third?

This..actually makes sense. Then again what if there’s really only 3 people reading all these apps and that’s why it’s taking so long!

I still don’t understand the 3 person system. If they don’t like your app on the first look why bother with a second? And why even have a third?

The admissions committees I have seen in person in other schools have had 4-8 people. I don't think its a legislature that decides applicants' fates. It could very well be 3 people only.

You're right. If the first person doesn't like it, they won't bother with the second, and you'll be "under review" for all eternity (yes people have reported silent rejections from UM in the past). If person two doesn't like it, or until person two gets to it, you're "being reviewed". You can only know if you passed through all three people if you're "reviewed."

To everyone else, I'm not a student. I'm just speculating.

Has anyone who was scored received a pre-II rejection yet?

Last edited:
Would anyone with a current subscription to the MSAR be willing to look up how many people got let off the waitlist last cycle? I know some schools report it on there and I'm curious and don't want to pay for another year of it

Would anyone with a current subscription to the MSAR be willing to look up how many people got let off the waitlist last cycle? I know some schools report it on there and I'm curious and don't want to pay for another year of it
Sure.

30-40 are typically waitlisted per cycle. 30 are accepted off the waitlist.

How did you submit an update?

Hi! Just email your updates to the general admissions email. From my experience and what I’ve heard at Miller, they seem to be more useful post II. But it can never hurt!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks! Is that the same thing as the alternate list?

Hey! For those who may be wondering, waitlist/alternate list are the same thing. There is quite significant movement (at least for my cycle last year). I and Plenty of my classmates were waitlisted, so your chances may be decent. It’s a great idea to space out LOIs and what not (normal common sense SDN advice). I feel like it made a difference for me! If you have any specific questions shoot me a PM.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey! For those who may be wondering, waitlist/alternate list are the same thing. There is quite significant movement (at least for my cycle last year). I and Plenty of my classmates were waitlisted, so your chances may be decent. It’s a great idea to space out LOIs and what not (normal common sense SDN advice). I feel like it made a difference for me! If you have any specific questions shoot me a PM.

Was there a decent amount of WL movement throughout the cycle or just after April?

Was there a decent amount of WL movement throughout the cycle or just after April?

Throughout the entire cycle! Miller is very good about taking ~3-4 students off the WL every acceptance day (I think every week or two). I was offered admission before April. That being said - I believe a lot on the "alternate list" are offered admission after the final decision day in April (as with any school)

Reactions: 2 users
Throughout the entire cycle! Miller is very good about taking ~3-4 students off the WL every acceptance day (I think every week or two). I was offered admission before April. That being said - I believe a lot on the "alternate list" are offered admission after the final decision day in April (as with any school)
In my interview, they said there's one comprehensive list of all interviewed applicants, scored and discussed by 45 readers and a score is given to each student. Every other Wednesday when the Adcom meets, they accept the top 20 students off that list. The remaining students jump up the list, as they continue compete against ongoing interviewees. Alternate list at this point means we didn't make the first top 20, but if you're already on the list you continue to have a chance every other wednesday until end of season. The rate at which they can churn through interviews obviously impacts how quickly those on the alternate list will get good news (if any). Overall though, Miami interviews around 600 applicants and historically accepts 350 of those interviewees.

In my interview, they said there's one comprehensive list of all interviewed applicants, scored and discussed by 45 readers and a score is given to each student. Every other Wednesday when the Adcom meets, they accept the top 20 students off that list. The remaining students jump up the list, as they continue compete against ongoing interviewees. Alternate list at this point means we didn't make the first top 20, but if you're already on the list you continue to have a chance every other wednesday until end of season. The rate at which they can churn through interviews obviously impacts how quickly those on the alternate list will get good news (if any). Overall though, Miami interviews around 600 applicants and historically accepts 350 of those interviewees.

This is correct. Sorry, it’s been a while. The number is 20 not 3-4