2018-2019 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who are accepted, have y'all received the formal acceptance letter via mail yet?

Members don't see this ad.

for those who were put on the "alternate list" post-II, has anyone heard back re: changes in that decision? /do people know if people ever get off of this list

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone having issues debating MD vs MD/MPH

miami is one of the few schools that does a 4 year MD/MPH program that was built for both (not as separated as other schools). Also, it's location and relevance to public health (tropical diseases, proximity to the carribean, urban, hurricanes) is second to none. If you are considering MD/MPH I feel like there's no better place than Miller to do it. If you're not really into doing an MPH it's a different story, however.

Dude... it's only the end of October.

Yes but with Miami's "alternate list" you get looked at again and move along the rankings every time they meet. Dr. Weisman said you can be on the list one week and accepted a week later. And someone on here got said they got accepted on a random day that wasn't one of the days they meet. So I think they're asking if anyone here has been moved off the alternate list yet this cycle

Reactions: 1 users
Would someone be able to describe what the interview is like? The MSAR just say that it's open file, structured and one hour. What exactly does "structured" mean?

Would someone be able to describe what the interview is like? The MSAR just say that it's open file, structured and one hour. What exactly does "structured" mean?

They have a set of preset questions. They are the basics about motivations and ethics scenarios. I recommend this site for getting prepared: U of W School of Medicine Bioethic Topics

Although they have preset questions, the interview is pretty loose.

Yes but with Miami's "alternate list" you get looked at again and move along the rankings every time they meet. Dr. Weisman said you can be on the list one week and accepted a week later. And someone on here got said they got accepted on a random day that wasn't one of the days they meet. So I think they're asking if anyone here has been moved off the alternate list yet this cycle

thanks! that was helpful

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone having issues debating MD vs MD/MPH

Current 3rd year md/mph. Don't do it unless you truly know you want it. It's a significant time commitment but it's very worth it if you do have a passion for it.

Most importantly, be honest with yourself, if you're more interested in the extra letters, you'll struggle. It'll make the mph work unbearable and take energy from your medical courses. You also cannot switch out once you've started.

Current 3rd year md/mph. Don't do it unless you truly know you want it. It's a significant time commitment but it's very worth it if you do have a passion for it.

Most importantly, be honest with yourself, if you're more interested in the extra letters, you'll struggle. It'll make the mph work unbearable and take energy from your medical courses. You also cannot switch out once you've started.
What’s the most valuable information you learned that you think will help you with your future career goals?

What’s the most valuable information you learned that you think will help you with your future career goals?

Only MS1 (but also MD/MPH) so I can't speak to as much yet, but so far the biggest asset I think I've gotten from the public health part of this program is learning more about the context in which all the clinical stuff takes place. If you only want to learn the medicine and don't care about the population-level problems, then don't bother with an MPH. But if you're interested in the bigger picture, it's valuable. I'm not from Miami, so I've also enjoyed being able to learn more about the social and public health issues faced by community in which I'll be training. If I'd opted to do just MD, I'm not sure I would have gotten the chance to learn as much about the bigger community beyond the med school.

@TelemarketingEnigma hit on the single-greatest advantage which is learning how healthcare comes together. It's not enough treat people on an individual level without considering their socio-politico-economic environment. The MPH familiarizes you with every aspect of public health - behavior, environment, epidemiology, biostats, health admin/policy and allows you to consider these when treating your patient.

For example, the opiate crisis. If you're treating a misuser, it would help to understand how bad the problem is in your area and why, what ancillary resources are accessible to your patient within the community, and how to shape/influence health policy (if you choose) so that preventive measures become the standard and you don't keep seeing the same patient time and time again.

But that's only if you care enough. Some docs are just fine treating on an as needed basis but even with the way healthcare reimbursement is moving, we're becoming a value-based system. This is going to force doctors to learn how to keep their patients out of the office if they want to get paid and not penalized -> preventive medicine/public health.

As you can see, it's just a way of thinking. In my opinion, the standard of medical education is soon going to move in the direction of incorporating principles of public health; just a matter of time.

@TelemarketingEnigma hit on the single-greatest advantage which is learning how healthcare comes together. It's not enough treat people on an individual level without considering their socio-politico-economic environment. The MPH familiarizes you with every aspect of public health - behavior, environment, epidemiology, biostats, health admin/policy and allows you to consider these when treating your patient.

For example, the opiate crisis. If you're treating a misuser, it would help to understand how bad the problem is in your area and why, what ancillary resources are accessible to your patient within the community, and how to shape/influence health policy (if you choose) so that preventive measures become the standard and you don't keep seeing the same patient time and time again.

But that's only if you care enough. Some docs are just fine treating on an as needed basis but even with the way healthcare reimbursement is moving, we're becoming a value-based system. This is going to force doctors to learn how to keep their patients out of the office if they want to get paid and not penalized -> preventive medicine/public health.

As you can see, it's just a way of thinking. In my opinion, the standard of medical education is soon going to move in the direction of incorporating principles of public health; just a matter of time.
Only MS1 (but also MD/MPH) so I can't speak to as much yet, but so far the biggest asset I think I've gotten from the public health part of this program is learning more about the context in which all the clinical stuff takes place. If you only want to learn the medicine and don't care about the population-level problems, then don't bother with an MPH. But if you're interested in the bigger picture, it's valuable. I'm not from Miami, so I've also enjoyed being able to learn more about the social and public health issues faced by community in which I'll be training. If I'd opted to do just MD, I'm not sure I would have gotten the chance to learn as much about the bigger community beyond the med school.

Thank you for your insightful responses, I am definitely interested in MD/MPH now!

Yeah so I noticed that my status changed to

"Your Application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Applicants will be invited to interview based upon their evaluation score from the Admissions Committee review. You will be contacted by email if you are selected for an interview. Interview invitations are extended between August and March"

However, I don't see a score at the bottom as many others have said should be at the bottom of the page. Does anyone know if this is a bad thinDoesOes this mean that I was not scored yet?

Yeah so I noticed that my status changed to

"Your Application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Applicants will be invited to interview based upon their evaluation score from the Admissions Committee review. You will be contacted by email if you are selected for an interview. Interview invitations are extended between August and March"

However, I don't see a score at the bottom as many others have said should be at the bottom of the page. Does anyone know if this is a bad thinDoesOes this mean that I was not scored yet?

I didn’t have a score at the bottom of my page before getting an II. Only the status that you have

not very active on this site anymore but I'm an MS1 at miller, happy to answer any questions re applications, interviews, curriculum questions, etc. feel free to shoot me a pm

I selected my top four preferred interview dates but haven't heard anything back. Does anyone know how long it takes for them to get back to us on which interview date we got?

I selected my top four preferred interview dates but haven't heard anything back. Does anyone know how long it takes for them to get back to us on which interview date we got?
I selected mine Wednesday afternoon and got confirmation of my date this morning

Anyone who’s already been accepted- has your portal changed at all? I got the letter in the mail but my portal hasn’t changed

For those of you who did interviews, when did you get access to "The Hub". I've been waiting for about 3 weeks now and my interview is 2 weeks, but I still didn't get access?

Just for the record, I submitted my application to Miami on August 30th, it went under review (turned green ha) on around October 19th, and today (11/4) I see that it's scored.

Just for the record, I submitted my application to Miami on August 30th, it went under review (turned green ha) on around October 19th, and today (11/4) I see that it's scored.

Agh submitted the same time but still under review :/ I’m beginning to get worried

Secondary submitted September 5th, still under review...
Does anybody know the percentage of applicants who will never be scored? From SDN it seems like we're a bunch.

I applied MD and MD-MPH, did anybody got scored for one and not the other?

I also heard some people get interviews although their portal still says 'under review' and some people simply never get scored and receive a rejection at the end of the year :( ----> Definitely one of my top choices and it's frustrating to have paid for the secondary and not even get a chance to compete for an interview. I hoped that with the new CASPR requirement, there will be less applicants, a.k.a more chances for me, but I guess I was wrong

II today. Just as I was letting my anxiety tell me the cycle was over. Dates open right after thanksgiving

Reactions: 7 users
So, uhhhh, am I ever going to get scored? Do people never get scored? I'm stuck at being "under review". Submitted early september.

Reactions: 2 users
So, uhhhh, am I ever going to get scored? Do people never get scored? I'm stuck at being "under review". Submitted early september.
lol early august, still under review. im glad i paid for literally nothing

Reactions: 2 users
it's kind of weird that they take our secondary money and don't even promise a comprehensive review...

it's kind of weird that they take our secondary money and don't even promise a comprehensive review...

Everyones secondary gets looked at. I remember last year ppl were getting IIs who said they submitted their secondary in like December close to the deadline.

Everyones secondary gets looked at. I remember last year ppl were getting IIs who said they submitted their secondary in like December close to the deadline.
that december thing doesn't disprove the fact that people complete like in july/august might not ever be reviewed completely lol

that december thing doesn't disprove the fact that people complete like in july/august might not ever be reviewed completely lol

I mean...they probably don't just ignore the earlier apps and move on to the later ones. I can't prove or disprove anything but it just wouldn't make sense for them to review later apps without reviewing the earlier ones.

Hey does anyone who interviewed know where to report for the interview (like which building floor)? thanks