2018-2019 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey for everyone that has interviewed:

Where did you stay at?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone accepted loooking at apartments in Brickell and wondering how anyone affords it with the loan amount they give you?

I’m a little confused by the acceptance email. Are we supposed to write back by email to accept it or do we wait until we get the letter/packet in the mail and write back then?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone accepted loooking at apartments in Brickell and wondering how anyone affords it with the loan amount they give you?

Most people who live in Brickell have a roommate (mostly 2 bedrooms, though some 3s). It's doable, but definitely comes with tradeoffs. There are much more affordable places to live but those come with tradeoffs of their own.

Also, for those of you accepted (congrats again!), something I didn't realize about the Miami real estate market until I moved here: Most people go through a realtor/broker to find their apartment. Other cities I've lived in you could just apply directly to the building or landlord, but that's not really how it works here. If you find a good realtor they should be able to work with your budget (or tell you if your budget is super unrealistic for what you're looking for...)

Reactions: 1 users
Also, for those of you accepted (congrats again!), something I didn't realize about the Miami real estate market until I moved here: Most people go through a realtor/broker to find their apartment. Other cities I've lived in you could just apply directly to the building or landlord, but that's not really how it works here. If you find a good realtor they should be able to work with your budget (or tell you if your budget is super unrealistic for what you're looking for...)

I'll amend that a bit. There are many places in Miami where you could/would go through a building's management, but for a lot of the areas where students normally look, a realtor is useful/necessary (realtors give access to listings for privately owned condos, which is a big plus because they can be negotiable). But it can be done the other way. The good news is that realtor commissions usually come out of the lessor's end, so it's the preferable method if it gets you what you want.

It's very doable but you absolutely need a roommate (or two which could drive the rent down more). The hardest part is getting your foot in the door meaning coming up with 3x rent (typically first month, last month, and deposit) plus application fee/background check and many places charge a fee to use the elevator to move-in which may or may not be refundable.

I wouldn't necessarily say that there are more affordable options because even if you live further out, you'll need a car which offsets the decrease in the rent. You basically end up paying about the same monthly when you consider gas, maintenance, insurance +/- car payments. Plus you'll have to deal with traffic lol.

You don't necessarily need a car your first two years but you need one no matter the program for 3rd and 4th year.

It's very doable but you absolutely need a roommate (or two which could drive the rent down more). The hardest part is getting your foot in the door meaning coming up with 3x rent (typically first month, last month, and deposit) plus application fee/background check and many places charge a fee to use the elevator to move-in which may or may not be refundable.

I wouldn't necessarily say that there are more affordable options because even if you live further out, you'll need a car which offsets the decrease in the rent. You basically end up paying about the same monthly when you consider gas, maintenance, insurance +/- car payments. Plus you'll have to deal with traffic lol.

You don't necessarily need a car your first two years but you need one no matter the program for 3rd and 4th year.

Is there anyone that lives by themself? I’d much prefer living alone lol

I’m a little confused by the acceptance email. Are we supposed to write back by email to accept it or do we wait until we get the letter/packet in the mail and write back then?

Write back, not reply back

Pretty sure you can just reply to the email. That's what I did last year and it seems to have worked out okay ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Are all the interviews for miller out already? I was done Aug 8th and I still havent been scored

Reactions: 4 users
Is there anyone that lives by themself? I’d much prefer living alone lol

I knew three classmates that did - two had strong financial support from family and the other came into some money after a grandparent's death (and even the latter person got a roommate after first year lol). If you're just on student loans, you're gonna have to swallow that pill lol.

As someone who lived alone previously before moving to Miami, it's not that bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did everyone who got in today get a phone call? Or were some just over email? (posting for a friend)
Got the call but couldn't asnwan since I was at work. Tried calling back and then got the email later too.

This is 100% a guess, but my guess is no. I work with an alum of Miami and she always says they operate on Cuban time. Ha, so I would guess there's lots of time left in the cycle.
Hehe everything in Miami runs on Cuban time. It's one of the best things about the city

Reactions: 2 users
Submitted in mid-August and still "under review". My god they must have gotten a lot more secondaries than I thought they would.

Nah fam they interview into March. A friend of mine at a T20 applied in July, interviewed at Miami in March, and got accepted last cycle

Completed 7/20 and not scored. Close ties to this particular school, too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nah fam they interview into March. A friend of mine at a T20 applied in July, interviewed at Miami in March, and got accepted last cycle

I feel like this comment gave me way too much false hope jeez

Are the interviews here open or closed? It didn't indicate which one it was on the interview itinerary.

II last night!

Submitted 8/5, never received complete email. So excited–Miami's clinical training is amazing!

Reactions: 2 users
Complete 8/17, still not scored...how long did you guys notice until you got scored?

Do they give out all 20 II’s at the same time every Monday?

II last night. Going Jan 7-8 for th md/mph program.

I have my interview coming up soon and was trying to find information on where to go. I couldn't find it on the Hub. Doesn't anyone know where to find that?

Anyone who’s been accepted receive any further communication past the letter? Has your portal changed from pending decision??

Anyone who’s been accepted receive any further communication past the letter? Has your portal changed from pending decision??
I just got something saying I had to decide MD or MD MPH. But my portal is the same about “you should hear something in 7 days” or whatever

Well, it's the end of the business day. Did anyone hear anything?

Got the call yesterday around 5:40 pm as well, so blessed and excited!