2018-2019 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got a call today around 5:45pm (EST)
Got the call yesterday around 5:40 pm as well, so blessed and excited!
When did you both interview? At my day they said we wouldn't hear until January but I've seen a short turn around time on here

Congrats on the acceptance!! I loved the schoool hopefully we will be classmates :)

Members don't see this ad.

When did you both interview? At my day they said we wouldn't hear until January but I've seen a short turn around time on here

Congrats on the acceptance!! I loved the schoool hopefully we will be classmates :)

Just got the alternate list email, and they also told us we wouldn't hear until January. Feeling a little bummed but at least it was a really fast turnaround time.

Congrats to everyone accepted yesterday :)

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks. I interviewed in mid-November, excellent turn around time!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I interviewed in mid-November, excellent turn around time!
On your interview day, did they tell you that you'd hear back on November 28th? Or did they say it was more likely going to be the December date? (Just trying to gauge if they're ahead of schedule :)) thanks!

On your interview day, did they tell you that you'd hear back on November 28th? Or did they say it was more likely going to be the December date? (Just trying to gauge if they're ahead of schedule :)) thanks!

I was actually told it would be early January.

Got the alternate list email as well. Does anyone have a clue how many candidates will accumulate to be on this list? And congrats to those that got accepted. :clap:

Got the alternate list email as well. Does anyone have a clue how many candidates will accumulate to be on this list? And congrats to those that got accepted. :clap:
If any given interview day has around ~30 interviewees and they accept the top 20 people from their list every time they meet that means there is at least a net gain of 10 people on the waiting list. However, the committee doesn't meet after every interview session so the net gain is probably higher (I'm pretty sure that's how they do it but someone please correct me if I'm wrong! I was trying to remember the amount of people at my interview but it was a few months ago so my memory is failing me!)

If any given interview day has around ~30 interviewees and they accept the top 20 people from their list every time they meet that means there is at least a net gain of 10 people on the waiting list. However, the committee doesn't meet after every interview session so the net gain is probably higher (I'm pretty sure that's how they do it but someone please correct me if I'm wrong! I was trying to remember the amount of people at my interview but it was a few months ago so my memory is failing me!)
If i remember correctly they said at my interview day that last year had 561 interviewed and 322 accepted for a final enrollment of ~200 and no one really received any outright rejections. All we know from that is that ~120 got moved off the waitlist, although I dont know if that is continuous throughout the cycle or just a big chunk sent out at the end around april

If i remember correctly they said at my interview day that last year had 561 interviewed and 322 accepted for a final enrollment of ~200 and no one really received any outright rejections. All we know from that is that ~120 got moved off the waitlist, although I dont know if that is continuous throughout the cycle or just a big chunk sent out at the end around april
The waitlist movement is definitely continuous! I remember the Dean saying that it's not uncommon to be waitlisted and then a week later to be accepted (at least earlier on in the cycle). Tbh I don't really even think it's a "waitlist", but just a masterlist of all interviewees ranked by their scoring system. I think that is why the dean emphasizes the importance of keeping the school updated after the interview...because an update/LOI could potentially raise your score above the threshold for acceptance.

Hi everyone, I just received an II and was sent an e-mail to request interview dates. They asked me to choose 4 dates and I did so. Do we get a follow up e-mail as to which date that we are interviewing? Because as of now, I just have the four dates that I ranked when I would like to interview.

Hi everyone, I just received an II and was sent an e-mail to request interview dates. They asked me to choose 4 dates and I did so. Do we get a follow up e-mail as to which date that we are interviewing? Because as of now, I just have the four dates that I ranked when I would like to interview.

You'll receive a follow-up email in 1 day with your interview date. I got my first choice of interview date.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
PSA: Send updates if you haven’t yet !!!

II yesterday (LM ~69, IS, complete July) but they literally asked if I was still interested first, then three hours later after I responded with an update they sent me the II.

Hope to give some hope to those out there with LM <70 and complete early. It’s not over yet!!

Edit: this is not to say that sending random updates will help your chances. I sent a “worthy” update (new publication) after they informed me I was being considered for an interview. The purpose of this post was to encourage others to go ahead and send an update if you feel like it is significant to your application, because they are looking for continued interest. Hope that clears things up!! Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
has anyone heard back about student hosting? i interview in two weeks

PSA: Send updates if you haven’t yet !!!

II yesterday (LM ~69, IS, complete July) but they literally asked if I was still interested first, then three hours later after I responded with an update they sent me the II.

Hope to give some hope to those out there with LM <70 and complete early. It’s not over yet!!
I appreciate your positivity in this time of stress and anxiety, but just to be very clear for the sake of not getting other applicants' hopes up, the email that asks if you're still interested actually states that the admissions committee has "completed their review you your application and would like to invite you for an interview." They just want to know if you would like to accept the interview and that you are still interested. I just responded with by saying yes in a few words and very shortly after I received the formal interview offer. Ultimately, they invited you and THEN you sent the update. It was a yes or no question, there was no need for you to send the update.

For applicants still waiting, send worthy updates if you have them, but don't just send a random update and then expect a II. I still believe that the scoring system at UM is what determines who gets the interview. Speaking as a re-applicant, keep your hopes high but your expectations low. Good luck everyone.

Reactions: 2 users
I appreciate your positivity in this time of stress and anxiety, but just to be very clear for the sake of not getting other applicants' hopes up, the email that asks if you're still interested actually states that the admissions committee has "completed their review you your application and would like to invite you for an interview." They just want to know if you would like to accept the interview and that you are still interested. I just responded with by saying yes in a few words and very shortly after I received the formal interview offer. Ultimately, they invited you and THEN you sent the update. It was a yes or no question, there was no need for you to send the update.

For applicants still waiting, send worthy updates if you have them, but don't just send a random update and then expect a II. I still believe that the scoring system at UM is what determines who gets the interview. Speaking as a re-applicant, keep your hopes high but your expectations low. Good luck everyone.
Thanks for clearing that up

Reactions: 1 users
Had my interview last Friday November 30th and I think it went really well.
I had very positive vibes during this "first look" and my interviewer was such a sweet and nice lady and hopefully I crushed it, but you never know. I didn't even know what LizzyM score was until today but I guess mine is 67.40 if anyone cares.

You are absolutely correct! I will edit my original post to convey that message. I apologize if I mislead anyone. I sent them a “worthy” update along with continued interest.

Had my interview last Friday November 30th and I think it went really well.
I had very positive vibes during this "first look" and my interviewer was such a sweet and nice lady and hopefully I crushed it, but you never know. I didn't even know what LizzyM score was until today but I guess mine is 67.40 if anyone cares.

Do you mind sharing when you were complete?

How many people do they send II’s to per week? Month? I’d imagine it’s just 650 II’s divided by 6 months (Sep-Feb). Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Is it just one faculty interview like last year or did this change?

Just one faculty interview. If I remember right at least 60 percent interviewed are accepted.

The interview mileage may vary. Some of my classmates had tough ones, but mine was really just a conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

They told us on Friday that the earliest we would hear is January, but if I get some good news from them on the next acceptance day I will die of happiness. I loved this school. 10/10 would recommend to a friend.

Also if anyone is going to interview in the future try out Enriqueta's for lunch it was v. tasty.
Also if you're driving to campus leave a few minutes earlier than you think you need to it was pretty difficult to find where to park and then where to go

Just one person. Completely open file. My guy was great very friendly. He had read the whole thing but still asked some questions that he could have easily found in the secondary so I think they just want to make sure you're legit and not lying about any of your experiences. (IE he asked me to list all of my shadowing experiences even though we all have listed those on primary and secondary)

Is Miami receptive to application updates? If so how do we go about them? Email? There's no portal link that I can find.

They told us on Friday that the earliest we would hear is January, but if I get some good news from them on the next acceptance day I will die of happiness. I loved this school. 10/10 would recommend to a friend.

Also if anyone is going to interview in the future try out Enriqueta's for lunch it was v. tasty.
Also if you're driving to campus leave a few minutes earlier than you think you need to it was pretty difficult to find where to park and then where to go
Felt the same after my interview in late November. Fingers crossed for us both! :)

I am def spamming this thread today so sorry but I have a question for any CURRENT students or anyone that remembers the interview day a bit better than me.

Did they say they charter a jet to Haiti weekly? Or was that just during the earthquake? They talked a lot about global health opportunities but it was so much info I have already forgotten a lot so if you could elaborate I would appreciate it

Still waiting to head back about II or rejection. If I haven't heard by now about an interview should I assume the worst?

Hey guys, just to add I do have a minor alcohol IA from freshman year. I cleared all sanctions and nothing like that ever happened again. I heard from others that this school is super unfriendly to IAs. I havent been scored yet. Should I keep hope still?

I am def spamming this thread today so sorry but I have a question for any CURRENT students or anyone that remembers the interview day a bit better than me.

Did they say they charter a jet to Haiti weekly? Or was that just during the earthquake? They talked a lot about global health opportunities but it was so much info I have already forgotten a lot so if you could elaborate I would appreciate it

I'm pretty sure that was just during the relief effort but in general, we do a lot of work with the Caribbean and some countries in Central/South America. Obviously other places as well but you you'd have to seek out those opportunities.

Do students at UMMSM have lockers?

They give all the first years lockers, I think you kinda just hold on to it unless they really need them for newer students taking anatomy. I never used mine.

Hey guys! I got a question for the MD/MPH students...I am pretty positive that I will attend Miller and I wanted to know if there's a facebook group for all of us to connect and to find roommates? Also, what are some housing options other than Brickell? Thanks so much :)

Hey guys! I got a question for the MD/MPH students...I am pretty positive that I will attend Miller and I wanted to know if there's a facebook group for all of us to connect and to find roommates? Also, what are some housing options other than Brickell? Thanks so much :)

I don't know if there's a facebook group yet, but at some point there will be one! This year someone set up a roommate search google doc which was really helpful - a lot of people I know live either with people they contacted through that, or with people they met at 2nd look. Besides Brickell, you could live across the river in Downtown, near the medical campus (cheaper, but less to do, not as nice of an area) or out on Miami Beach (gotta have a car). Some people live farther south (coral gables etc) and a few people I know live in Midtown/Overtown. I think those areas cover like 90% of my class, with the largest portion of that being Brickell by far. I think the Brickell ratio tends to decrease after first year