Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

2018-2019 University of Miami (Miller)

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by gyngyn, Apr 21, 2018.

1. runnergirl379

Where in the building?

2. milgauss17

Just walk in security will tell you where to go

Laix likes this.
  3. medmetobe

mizcracker1212 likes this.
  4. runnergirl379

Thanks!

5. _doctor_

Are they sending out offers today?

6. flipfloptheocean

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think so

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. gochgoch93

Does anyone know when decisions go out today? Like what time do they call?

8. flipfloptheocean

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I thought at 5:00pm?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. _doctor_

Well, it's the end of the business day. Did anyone hear anything?

10. TearsonmyMCAT

Oh what a surprise! Still havent been scored. Complete early August LizzyM 72

11. Bobcat01

No calls, no emails, no letters. That was the quietest passing of 5/6 PM in my household.

12. flipfloptheocean

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Nothing...

13. hotcheetos1

Pre-Medical
    I got a call today around 5:45pm (EST)

TelemarketingEnigma likes this.
  14. wwjd777

Pre-Medical
    Got the call yesterday around 5:40 pm as well, so blessed and excited!

15. mrs_peanutbutter1996

mrs_peanutbutter1996 SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Verified Account 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    When did you both interview? At my day they said we wouldn't hear until January but I've seen a short turn around time on here

Congrats on the acceptance!! I loved the schoool hopefully we will be classmates :)

16. kritkatbar

Pre-Medical
    Just got the alternate list email, and they also told us we wouldn't hear until January. Feeling a little bummed but at least it was a really fast turnaround time.

Congrats to everyone accepted yesterday :)

flipfloptheocean likes this.
  17. wwjd777

Pre-Medical
    Thanks. I interviewed in mid-November, excellent turn around time!

18. horsecatdog

Medical Student (Accepted)
    On your interview day, did they tell you that you'd hear back on November 28th? Or did they say it was more likely going to be the December date? (Just trying to gauge if they're ahead of schedule :)) thanks!

19. scrapy

Are interview invites always sent out in evenings? What time?

20. wwjd777

Pre-Medical
    I was actually told it would be early January.

horsecatdog likes this.
  21. horsecatdog

Oooooh there's hope for the rest of us!!!! Or maybe you're just exceptional :) Congrats and Thank you!

22. Bobcat01

Got the alternate list email as well. Does anyone have a clue how many candidates will accumulate to be on this list? And congrats to those that got accepted. :clap:

kritkatbar likes this.
  23. karkalkar

If any given interview day has around ~30 interviewees and they accept the top 20 people from their list every time they meet that means there is at least a net gain of 10 people on the waiting list. However, the committee doesn't meet after every interview session so the net gain is probably higher (I'm pretty sure that's how they do it but someone please correct me if I'm wrong! I was trying to remember the amount of people at my interview but it was a few months ago so my memory is failing me!)

24. wwjd777

Pre-Medical
    I just got lucky, nothing exceptional. Keep that hope alive and good luck to everyone waiting!

25. gatorbait3472

If i remember correctly they said at my interview day that last year had 561 interviewed and 322 accepted for a final enrollment of ~200 and no one really received any outright rejections. All we know from that is that ~120 got moved off the waitlist, although I dont know if that is continuous throughout the cycle or just a big chunk sent out at the end around april

26. karkalkar

The waitlist movement is definitely continuous! I remember the Dean saying that it's not uncommon to be waitlisted and then a week later to be accepted (at least earlier on in the cycle). Tbh I don't really even think it's a "waitlist", but just a masterlist of all interviewees ranked by their scoring system. I think that is why the dean emphasizes the importance of keeping the school updated after the interview...because an update/LOI could potentially raise your score above the threshold for acceptance.

27. medgirl1112

Hi everyone, I just received an II and was sent an e-mail to request interview dates. They asked me to choose 4 dates and I did so. Do we get a follow up e-mail as to which date that we are interviewing? Because as of now, I just have the four dates that I ranked when I would like to interview.

28. 19kei

Pre-Medical
    You'll receive a follow-up email in 1 day with your interview date. I got my first choice of interview date.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

medgirl1112 likes this.
  29. Pharaoh95

2+ Year Member

II. Complete mid-July.

30. chief_bison15

Congrats? Mind sharing stats?

31. Pharaoh95

2+ Year Member

LM ~73

PinkHibiscus and chief_bison15 like this.
  32. kmedhopeful95

Pre-Medical
    PSA: Send updates if you haven’t yet !!!

II yesterday (LM ~69, IS, complete July) but they literally asked if I was still interested first, then three hours later after I responded with an update they sent me the II.

Hope to give some hope to those out there with LM <70 and complete early. It’s not over yet!!

Edit: this is not to say that sending random updates will help your chances. I sent a “worthy” update (new publication) after they informed me I was being considered for an interview. The purpose of this post was to encourage others to go ahead and send an update if you feel like it is significant to your application, because they are looking for continued interest. Hope that clears things up!! Good luck everyone!

#1232 kmedhopeful95, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  33. kaylit97

has anyone heard back about student hosting? i interview in two weeks

34. Pharaoh95

2+ Year Member

I appreciate your positivity in this time of stress and anxiety, but just to be very clear for the sake of not getting other applicants' hopes up, the email that asks if you're still interested actually states that the admissions committee has "completed their review you your application and would like to invite you for an interview." They just want to know if you would like to accept the interview and that you are still interested. I just responded with by saying yes in a few words and very shortly after I received the formal interview offer. Ultimately, they invited you and THEN you sent the update. It was a yes or no question, there was no need for you to send the update.

For applicants still waiting, send worthy updates if you have them, but don't just send a random update and then expect a II. I still believe that the scoring system at UM is what determines who gets the interview. Speaking as a re-applicant, keep your hopes high but your expectations low. Good luck everyone.

35. TaiLopez

Thanks for clearing that up

Pharaoh95 and kmedhopeful95 like this.
  36. Who.TF.is.LizzyM.

How did you submit updates? Also, do they accept them pre-II?

37. FloridaSpaceDoc

Had my interview last Friday November 30th and I think it went really well.
    I had very positive vibes during this "first look" and my interviewer was such a sweet and nice lady and hopefully I crushed it, but you never know. I didn't even know what LizzyM score was until today but I guess mine is 67.40 if anyone cares.

38. futureFormerChild

Pre-Medical
    anyone else complete end of august and not scored yet?

39. kmedhopeful95

Pre-Medical

You are absolutely correct! I will edit my original post to convey that message. I apologize if I mislead anyone. I sent them a “worthy” update along with continued interest.

40. wesleysnipes

+1

Carrot124 likes this.
  41. gocanes96

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Do you mind sharing when you were complete?

42. wallawalla3

Pre-Medical
    II today! Complete early September

43. scrapy

How many people do they send II’s to per week? Month? I’d imagine it’s just 650 II’s divided by 6 months (Sep-Feb). Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

44. TearsonmyMCAT

Does your status say scored? When were you scored?

45. wallawalla3

Pre-Medical
    No it says my app has been reviewed and I have been selected for an interview. I never saw it say “scored”

46. Pharaoh95

2+ Year Member

Is it just one faculty interview like last year or did this change?

47. MCATISEZ

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just one faculty interview. If I remember right at least 60 percent interviewed are accepted.

The interview mileage may vary. Some of my classmates had tough ones, but mine was really just a conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Pharaoh95 likes this.
  48. ImNotYourDoctor

They told us on Friday that the earliest we would hear is January, but if I get some good news from them on the next acceptance day I will die of happiness. I loved this school. 10/10 would recommend to a friend.

Also if anyone is going to interview in the future try out Enriqueta's for lunch it was v. tasty.
    Also if you're driving to campus leave a few minutes earlier than you think you need to it was pretty difficult to find where to park and then where to go

49. ImNotYourDoctor

Just one person. Completely open file. My guy was great very friendly. He had read the whole thing but still asked some questions that he could have easily found in the secondary so I think they just want to make sure you're legit and not lying about any of your experiences. (IE he asked me to list all of my shadowing experiences even though we all have listed those on primary and secondary)

Pharaoh95 likes this.
  50. Et_in_Arcadia_ego

Is Miami receptive to application updates? If so how do we go about them? Email? There's no portal link that I can find.