2018-2019 University of Miami (Miller)

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by gyngyn, Apr 21, 2018.

1. mrs_peanutbutter1996

mrs_peanutbutter1996 SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Verified Account 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Felt the same after my interview in late November. Fingers crossed for us both! :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    ImNotYourDoctor likes this.
  2. acciobutterbeer

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What time does the regular MD interview end?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ImNotYourDoctor

[email protected]

premed0755 likes this.
  4. ImNotYourDoctor

Around 2

5. FloridaSpaceDoc

I believe around November 10-15th some time in there

gocanes96 likes this.
  6. acciobutterbeer

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thank you!

7. ImNotYourDoctor

I am def spamming this thread today so sorry but I have a question for any CURRENT students or anyone that remembers the interview day a bit better than me.

Did they say they charter a jet to Haiti weekly? Or was that just during the earthquake? They talked a lot about global health opportunities but it was so much info I have already forgotten a lot so if you could elaborate I would appreciate it

8. humanbean2016

Still waiting to head back about II or rejection. If I haven't heard by now about an interview should I assume the worst?

9. Dexter01

Do students at UMMSM have lockers?

10. TearsonmyMCAT

Hey guys, just to add I do have a minor alcohol IA from freshman year. I cleared all sanctions and nothing like that ever happened again. I heard from others that this school is super unfriendly to IAs. I havent been scored yet. Should I keep hope still?

11. teeayejay

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm pretty sure that was just during the relief effort but in general, we do a lot of work with the Caribbean and some countries in Central/South America. Obviously other places as well but you you'd have to seek out those opportunities.

They give all the first years lockers, I think you kinda just hold on to it unless they really need them for newer students taking anatomy. I never used mine.

12. gocanes96

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Complete around November 10-15th and got your interview in late November?? What's the secret sauce dude lol

13. snowman0612

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Hey guys! I got a question for the MD/MPH students...I am pretty positive that I will attend Miller and I wanted to know if there's a facebook group for all of us to connect and to find roommates? Also, what are some housing options other than Brickell? Thanks so much :)

14. FloridaSpaceDoc

Just so there’s no confusion, I submitted 10/07/2018, they marked my review complete on November 10-15th

15. TelemarketingEnigma

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't know if there's a facebook group yet, but at some point there will be one! This year someone set up a roommate search google doc which was really helpful - a lot of people I know live either with people they contacted through that, or with people they met at 2nd look. Besides Brickell, you could live across the river in Downtown, near the medical campus (cheaper, but less to do, not as nice of an area) or out on Miami Beach (gotta have a car). Some people live farther south (coral gables etc) and a few people I know live in Midtown/Overtown. I think those areas cover like 90% of my class, with the largest portion of that being Brickell by far. I think the Brickell ratio tends to decrease after first year

snowman0612 likes this.
  16. TaiLopez

Anyone know how many II's left?

17. steamtofu

Complete since mid-Sept. Still not scored yet, getting really worried :(

scribbles&rambles and TaiLopez like this.
  18. snowman0612

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Thank you so much! Do you know what is the average rent for living in Brickell or near the medical campus?

19. emilyanne1470

Pre-Medical
    I'm interviewing next week for both the MD and MD/MPH programs—can anyone who interviewed for both programs tell me how many interviews you had and on what day your interview(s) took place? The schedule on the Hub looks like it will be one interview that could be on either day, but on my portal, it says this, which makes it look like there will be three...

"Below are the date(s) that you are scheduled to be interviewed:
    Monday, December 17, 2018 MD Program
    Tuesday, December 18, 2018 MD-MPH Program
    Tuesday, December 18, 2018 MD-MPH Program"

Thanks in advance!!

20. friendly_premed

if we havent been scored since legit july is it safe to assume we will be rejected

TaiLopez likes this.
  21. TearsonmyMCAT

I think so... I'm in the same boat and I've quite honestly given up hope on this school

noorotik20 and TaiLopez like this.
  22. TaiLopez

Man thats too bad. Was one of my top choices.

Why would they not even score us? Bc Im assuming that means they didnt read any of our essays

23. TearsonmyMCAT

Essentially what I gather is your app is ranked by 3 different ppl individually. Each one scores it on a scale that has a cut-off. If by all 3 people, you dont make the cut-off, you essentially dont get scored.

TaiLopez likes this.
  24. TaiLopez

Thanks for the clarification. Oh well, pce Miami. Maybe in another life

25. medgirl1112

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Hi everyone! So I interviewed yesterday and I'm trying to send a thank you note. I looked on the Hub app and it says if you want to send a thank you note, to send it to the given address. However, this is a physical mailing address. Has everyone done this? Or is there an e-mail address that I'm missing somewhere to send 'thank you's to?

26. zvuort

You can just send it to the general admissions email and they'll attach it to your file.

27. mrs_peanutbutter1996

Pre-Medical
    I mailed mine because my family is old school Italian-America would smack me if I emailed a thank you note :laugh: but like the guy above said I think you can just email it to the general address

28. Neoneji123

Hey guys,

This probably was answered before, but does this school take updates? Can't find anywhere on the portal link to send anything....

Thank you!

29. TaiLopez

Yes email

30. Neoneji123

Thank you!

31. mizcracker1212

I just stalked the UM website for my interviewer and emailed him directly

acciobutterbeer likes this.
  32. ImNotYourDoctor

So do we have a list of interview dates waiting to hear on Dec 19th?

I am November 30th.

33. mrs_peanutbutter1996

Pre-Medical
    i think everyone from mid-november onwards as well as people from september and october on the alternate list. I know my interview date was told we'd hear in January but based off people on this thread I feel I might hear next week

34. ImNotYourDoctor

Yes. I also feel we may hear next week. I was just trying to get a feel for about how many interviews days there have been since last acceptance day. Each interview has 16 people, and every acceptance day they accept 20 students so I just want to see the odds

35. Pharaoh95

2+ Year Member

At my interview day recently, I believe they said 25 students were accepted each acceptance date.

36. iwasthisclose

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I keep reading everywhere and the application goes from:

Submitted (black)--> reviewed (green)--> scored (green?)--> possible II?

TaiLopez likes this.
  37. kaylit97

what time does the interview day at the miami campus end?? i’m trying to catch a bus to the regional campus right after

38. ImNotYourDoctor

Got an email from admissions today.....heart started racing.....palms were sweaty and it was just the picture from interview day -____-

39. FloridaSpaceDoc

I was like wow this is way tooooo early for a reply when I got it!! Haha

40. noorotik20

Verified Account

Pre-Medical
    Until I get that R I'm not giving up hope lol. I've been complete since late July

41. altblue

2+ Year Member

Don't lol.

I received an II and I was never scored, even though I had been under review for 6+ weeks.

In general I'm suspecting different screeners at each school may run through different processes. Mayo MN is done interviewing but I haven't been rejected, while others received the rejection. Wonder what the screeners were up to!

#1291 altblue, Dec 12, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    TaiLopez likes this.
  42. Day1dreamer

Pre-Medical
    No news is better than an R! Complete since late August and still keeping my fingers crossed. Any success with Pre-II updates?

43. TearsonmyMCAT

Wait what??? Dont you HAVE to be scored before they do anything? That's the theme I gather from this thread

scrapy likes this.
  44. altblue

2+ Year Member

I def recall another poster saying something similar

45. scrapy

99% of the II’s have been to scored candidates

46. cassie233

cassie233 SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Verified Account

Pre-Medical
    Just got an II today!
    I applied early August, I checked on Monday and my application wasn't scored.
    I don't know when it changed, but there is hope guys!

47. Spider2YBanana

Pre-Medical
    Quick question for those who have interviewed: they said they were going to begin with a new curriculum next year. Is that the new curriculum on their website/on the PPT on the flash drive they gave us?

I thought they were saying the anatomy course would be like 14 weeks or something but it says 8 on the website/PPT.

Thanks!

Pharaoh95 likes this.
  48. ojgator

Pre-Medical
    II last Thursday. Any advice for the interview?

TaiLopez likes this.
  49. friendly_premed

What dates were open

TaiLopez and scrapy like this.
  50. TelemarketingEnigma

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    8 is the current curriculum. I don't know all the details on the new curriculum, and I'm not sure that its finalized enough to have on the website so that's probably the current one.