2018-2019 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
For those who've already interviewed MD/MPH, how long did each day last? Trying to figure out if it's safe to book a 4pm flight given that my second day is at Palm Beach

Reactions: 1 user
How much waitlist movement was there actually? The MSAR data for some reason is wrong. Also the OOS post interview acceptance rate on US news last year was 70%+. I’m sure that accounts for waitlist movement too, but that seems a bit too high. I will say the year before that, it was slightly over 50%.

Ah okay, I called yesterday afternoon so maybe they've finalized some stuff/maybe someone different answered the phone but good to know they'll be sending more info soon!!
Did they say April 12 only? Most schools are doing a multi day thing

Speaking of sending more info soon - sorry if this question is overly neurotic... I know they’ve sent some merit scholarships out, but do you think they sent all of them out at once? I ask only because I’ve seen people with similar LizzyM and accepetance dates post about receiving the scholarship letter already and nothing has come in the mail yet. Or maybe there are metrics other than MCAT/GPA that determine the merit scholarship?

Reactions: 2 users
Did they say April 12 only? Most schools are doing a multi day thing
They didn't specify that it was only the 12th but when I asked when second look is, they answered with April 12 so not sure if it's just one day or if I didn't get a full answer

For those who've already interviewed MD/MPH, how long did each day last? Trying to figure out if it's safe to book a 4pm flight given that my second day is at Palm Beach

Where are you trying to book your flight from? My interview day last year was over by about 2pm, but if you’re trying to fly out of say MIA I would leave some more time for travel to the airport. If you fly out of west palm beach you’d probably be okay.

Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking of sending more info soon - sorry if this question is overly neurotic... I know they’ve sent some merit scholarships out, but do you think they sent all of them out at once? I ask only because I’ve seen people with similar LizzyM and accepetance dates post about receiving the scholarship letter already and nothing has come in the mail yet. Or maybe there are metrics other than MCAT/GPA that determine the merit scholarship?
I'd like to know this as well.

For those who got the merit scholarship letters - does it say anything about how they determine who gets them other than MCAT/gpa?

If not, I'll call the financial aid office next week to hopefully figure it out...

Still not scored. Miller is my top choice. I feel that I match the mission statement so well, plus I have exactly their median accepted GPA and MCAT. Everything about this school seems like the perfect fit for me. I am so frustrated to not having had the chance to compete for an interview, I honestly think that I would score pretty high up in that master list.
Do you guys think that people not scored at this point still have a chance of being scored + interviewed + accepted?
Did anybody here get scored recently?
Does anybody who sent updates still waiting to be scored? If yes, I would assume it would be useless for me to send one now... otherwise, i'll write and send it ASAP.

Please let us know what you find out

Still not scored. Miller is my top choice. I feel that I match the mission statement so well, plus I have exactly their median accepted GPA and MCAT. Everything about this school seems like the perfect fit for me. I am so frustrated to not having had the chance to compete for an interview, I honestly think that I would score pretty high up in that master list.
Do you guys think that people not scored at this point still have a chance of being scored + interviewed + accepted?
Did anybody here get scored recently?
Does anybody who sent updates still waiting to be scored? If yes, I would assume it would be useless for me to send one now... otherwise, i'll write and send it ASAP.

Sent multiple updates. Not scored. Sorry to hear about that.

How much waitlist movement was there actually? The MSAR data for some reason is wrong. Also the OOS post interview acceptance rate on US news last year was 70%+. I’m sure that accounts for waitlist movement too, but that seems a bit too high. I will say the year before that, it was slightly over 50%.

Bump

Where are you trying to book your flight from? My interview day last year was over by about 2pm, but if you’re trying to fly out of say MIA I would leave some more time for travel to the airport. If you fly out of west palm beach you’d probably be okay.

Potentially MIA. Didn't know there was another airport in Palm Beach?

Potentially MIA. Didn't know there was another airport in Palm Beach?

There's several airports in the area: MIA (Miami, closest to main campus), FLL (Ft Lauderdale, between main campus and regional campus), and PBI (Palm Beach, closest to the regional campus) are the main ones you should probably be looking at. MIA and FLL will likely have the most/cheapest flights, depending on where you are coming from.

If you're coming back to MIA, I'd definitely take a later flight

What/ where is the regional campus? That’s only for MPH? Can anyone tell me more? Are there any medical school classes there?

What/ where is the regional campus? That’s only for MPH? Can anyone tell me more? Are there any medical school classes there?

Regional campus is for MPH - we do clinical rotations there third year (and have a second day there when we interviewed). MD only I think has the opportunity to do rotations there 4th year if they want to, but not required

Can any students tell us more about the cheating scandal and how that will affect incoming classes?

Yep. They changed it 2 years ago so the current MS1 are P/F and we would be the second class to experience it
Is this the P/F they talked about on interview day? Not true P/F because they still post a number grade...

Reactions: 1 users
A friend of mine is a current ms1. She was saying there's been some huge issue about old exams related to the oncology hematology exam and there's like 5 ms2s so far who were caught. I don't know all the details.

Yikes! Thanks for sharing that.

Are all the scholarship letters only MD? and so there isn't an application?

Can you share what kinds of changes? Maybe in a PM?
What are the changes that they're making?

They removed some required clerkships giving us more free time in the fourth year to schedule residency interviews. There were also more minor changes but they were all good. I can't speak to the preclinical years as it doesn't apply to me.

The "regional campus" is not an actual campus lol. It basically refers to the fact that we do our rotations anywhere between Palm Beach County and Broward County. There are two program offices where the deans and other ancillary staff are housed as well.

I’m interested to hear about this bc it’s news to me
In terms of the cheating, someone with way too much time on their hands apparently hacked into the testing software and was able to extract the test. They then disseminated it out to their peers. I don't foresee this having any consequences to incoming students lol.

My portal just changed to "Your applications and interview report will be reviewed a final time by the Admissions Committee" after an early February interview. Is the consensus that only portal updates with "a decision has been made" will get accepted after the next committee meeting? Wednesday evening feels very far away :lame:

My portal just changed to "Your applications and interview report will be reviewed a final time by the Admissions Committee" after an early February interview. Is the consensus that only portal updates with "a decision has been made" will get accepted after the next committee meeting? Wednesday evening feels very far away :lame:

I would answer your phone on the next Wednesday decision day, no matter what. Call may come around 5. I’m pretty sure they do that final review on a Wednesday decision day.

If you have the “decision has been made” status then you could be accepted or put on the alternate list on Wednesday!

I'd like to know this as well.

For those who got the merit scholarship letters - does it say anything about how they determine who gets them other than MCAT/gpa?

If not, I'll call the financial aid office next week to hopefully figure it out...
Did you happen to find anything out today? Just wondering if there’s been additional insight or if I should try to call tomorrow! :)

Did you happen to find anything out today? Just wondering if there’s been additional insight or if I should try to call tomorrow! :)
I called and left a voicemail, but they haven’t called back. If you call and find out anything, let me know please! Lol

Can anyone PM me or write a post here about interview day/tips?

This is my second interview and the other one was MMI so total opposite of this... I’m pretty nervous because I’m on the waitlist for the other school so I hope I can nail this :confused:

Can anyone PM me or write a post here about interview day/tips?

This is my second interview and the other one was MMI so total opposite of this... I’m pretty nervous because I’m on the waitlist for the other school so I hope I can nail this :confused:
Interview here was one of the most relaxed ones I have had. Make sure you know everything on your applications, my interviewer spent the hour asking about what I put on the apps and how they relate to UM. Know the basics like why medicine, why Miller, etc. They'll ask follow ups to those. An hour sounds like a long time, but it flies by. Just be confident in yourself and you'll do great! Good luck!

Reactions: 5 users
Complete in Sep., just received an II in the last week of Feb. Will be declining and hoping someone benefits. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
Been on the alternate since November and am starting to contemplate sending an LOI (have 2 other acceptances). Anyone know when would be an appropriate time to send this?

Been on the alternate since November and am starting to contemplate sending an LOI (have 2 other acceptances). Anyone know when would be an appropriate time to send this?
I would definitely say ASAP unless you're waiting for something to happen (I.e. you'll be publishing a paper in the next few weeks that you could mention)! Even then unless they have a limit on updates, you could just write again later.

People who have interviewed recently - has Weisman said anything more about when they expect more substantial waitlist movement? I know since it's a new system this year (we narrow down schools to 3 by 4/15 and 1 by 4/30 I think, and they don't see the list of where we have been accepted anymore) we cant really gauge from previous years when the majority of WL movement will happen. If anyone has heard more info at their interview days or through emails that would be greatly appreciated!

Don't mind the MSAR data on the UM waitlist, it is patently false. Like @MaybeSoon said, there is only one list, call it whatever you want. After the last decision date, the committee continues to meet regularly (every other Wednesday or less frequently) to evaluate the remaining candidates on the list. Most movement generally occurs after traffic day, but unfortunately, there was very minimal movement after traffic day last year so it is pretty unpredictable.

Are you sure? There seemed to be an amount comparable to April's WL movement on last year's thread? In each year, there has been quite a bit of movement in April after the last March interview dates.

Also could someone discuss the curriculum changes that are set to happen for next year?