2018-2019 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I saw a previous post that said second look day kicks off on the evening of the 11th, and is all day on the 12th, and the morning of the 13th. Does anyone know if there are additional events for the MD/MPH students? Also, could anyone please confirm this schedule?

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

How long did it take for y'all to hear about scholarships from the day you applied? My acceptance letter took a few weeks to arrive, and I didn't know UM had an internal scholarship application.

EDIT: Hoping I hear back before April 15th!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How long did it take for y'all to hear about scholarships from the day you applied? My acceptance letter took a few weeks to arrive, and I didn't know UM had an internal scholarship application.

EDIT: Hoping I hear back before April 15th!
Wait is there an internal scholarship app?

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone here actually gotten those need-based awards/diversity scholarships?

Has anyone here actually gotten those need-based awards/diversity scholarships?

This is a post from last year's thread. Not sure if it'll be the same this year though!

I was applying for need-based scholarships (included parental info on my FAFSA), but I did not receive anything in my financial aid award. I called the financial aid office because truthfully I expected to get some need-based help based on my family's financial situation and they told me need-based works a little different. About a month before school starts, they will send out additional donor loan application material that essentially needs you/your parents tax info again and then they will evaluate you to see if you qualify to get a donor loan. A donor loan is apparently just a 'better' loan than the grad PLUS loan and they essentially replace one for the other. The donor loans won't happen until after school starts though so they advised me to take out the entirety of the loan amount in the meantime and it will be changed later.

Hope this helps, I was confused as well!

On MSAR, I’m looking at how many waitlisted applicants they have per cycle, and how many acceptances they offer to waitlisted applicants, and I’m doubtful of the optimistic numbers they have listed... did anyone else think the same?

to accept the position do we just respond to the email? or do we wait for the snail mail letter?

Members don't see this ad :)
On MSAR, I’m looking at how many waitlisted applicants they have per cycle, and how many acceptances they offer to waitlisted applicants, and I’m doubtful of the optimistic numbers they have listed... did anyone else think the same?

Because of the rolling fashion in which UM does admissions, we waitlist a lot more than most schools, and start pulling from the WL really early.

Has anyone not heard anything about the decision status yet either, but had the portal change to a decision had been made? Applied both MD and MD/mph

Has anyone not heard anything about the decision status yet either, but had the portal change to a decision had been made? Applied both MD and MD/mph
They should contact you by 7 days, has that time passed?

Does Miller have an online store to purchase merchandise/apparel? Asking for my mom lol

I know there was a post about this in the class Facebook group, but does anyone (specifically women) have suggestions on what to wear for second look weekend?

Does every accepted student get an invite to second look weekend? And for those that have been invited, when is it?

I know there was a post about this in the class Facebook group, but does anyone (specifically women) have suggestions on what to wear for second look weekend?

I think a white blouse and black pants are always a safe option. Something like this (maybe chino pants since it's hot)

I think you should call and ask because I don’t think they reject post II

I don’t know for sure if this is how it works, but it seems like now that they have finished ranking everyone and are done with their “accept the next top 20 every other Wednesday night” process, they then asked the next 30-40 applicants on the list if they would officially like to be catalogued as an “alternate.” These applicants weren’t quite high enough on the list to get acceptance calls, but are above the rest of applicants listed, which are essentially unofficially waitlisted. It seems like being asked via email if you’d like to maintain your status as an alternate essentially means you’re high waitlist

I don’t know for sure if this is how it works, but it seems like now that they have finished ranking everyone and are done with their “accept the next top 20 every other Wednesday night” process, they then asked the next 30-40 applicants on the list if they would officially like to be catalogued as an “alternate.” These applicants weren’t quite high enough on the list to get acceptance calls, but are above the rest of applicants listed, which are essentially unofficially waitlisted. It seems like being asked via email if you’d like to maintain your status as an alternate essentially means you’re high waitlist

Are we certain that the "alternate list" is any different from the "continuing candidates list" which during the interview they said everyone remains on?

I thought everyone gets asked this?

So do you think being asked this means you’re placed higher on the waitlist?
Unfortunately I don't think it indicates rank. I think they just want to know who still wants to be considered even if not accepted outright.

I feel like this is true but then wouldn’t we all receive the alternate list email??

I would imagine that they would've put everyone on the alternate list since I didn't think they did post-II rejections. I didn't realize that some people hadn't received a decision yet!

How do you get added to the FB page?

My understanding is everyone on the list is still at play, but the highest on the list that weren’t accepted by this last Wednesday’s meeting are confirmed to be the 30-40 alternates listed on MSAR, about 30 of which turn into acceptances. Everyone else is still technically at play (waitlisted, if you will), especially since alternates can withdraw before or after acceptance

Does every accepted student get an invite to second look weekend? And for those that have been invited, when is it?
I believe so! For people who were just accepted this week, invitations will arrive by email this weekend. It's April 12th-13th but I think the really important day is the 12th.

Just FYI, median of 514 is the same as it has been +/- a few percentiles since I applied in 2015. Back then the median was 33 - which is 91st percentile - which I think is actually exactly equal to 514 lol.

Like every med school out there UM cares about stats, but at least from what I’ve seen as a totally in-involved med student we haven’t had any major stat hikes while I’ve been here. It’s been pretty consistent: smart-ish kids (were no Harvard and I’m ok with that) who prefer a lot of autonomy and like working with underserved seriously sick patients.

agreed, this GPA and MCAT is about the same as the accepted for the past few years and hasn't changed too much. Remember that MSAR reports accepted stats, which are almost always higher than matriculated stats.

A for working with underserved and seriously sick patients, this is tends to be more so among the MD/MPH students than the MD students. In the MD class, I don't think students as a whole are particularly more drawn to working with this population compared to your typical medical school.

I’m typing this late at night so this may be all jumbled lol.

I would assume that people didn’t match because they failed or scored very low on Step. IMO this is more on the student than the school... Just like many people did for the mcat, there’s plenty of resources to self study for Step if the preclinical years at UM are not up to par. It could be that this year they graduated a group of students that were not great test takers. It could be the result of a new admissions strategy for CO 2019. I think when you have a school that is focused more on the underserved and mission fit, you will have some students that enter the class that aren’t perfectly groomed high stat students. This of course is fine and not definitive of their med school performance, but they will be more at risk of not passing classes or Step compared to a typical T10 groomed med student. On the other hand, these students who didn’t match could be ones that excelled in undergrad but hit a wall in med school. They could have been overwhelmed and underperformed... there’s so many assumptions we can make but in the end it doesn’t have to affect your experience in med school, regardless of where you end up.

I will say if the school was actively taking study time away and not giving enough time for step then the fault would be on them (which I have seen at another med school), but that’s not the vibe I got from interview day. I may be wrong and just hella optimistic tho lol.

UM's average on Step 1 score was a 232 in both 2015 and 2016 (for the graduating class of 2017 and 2018, respectively, and note that's for both the MD and MD/MPH scores combined). The national Step 1 average in those years was 229 and 228, respectively. So UM's averages slightly above the national average but also not the 240+ averages you see at some top 10 med schools. I wouldn't say UM's curriculum was low yield for Step 1: it actually covers the majority of what's tested. However, it also does have a lot of extraneous information that you end up learning as well.

I'm not sure why the absolute number of matches this year appears a lot lower than previous years. Unless a significant amount of people from the 2015 entering class are taking gap years than the number of people entering and the number graduating this year is also truly a lot less than 200, then about ~172 matches including partial matches is low (in the past 2 years it was more around 190 matches). Note that UM was more transparent in posting their 2018 and 2019 Match lists by listing also the the names of the programs where its students only matched into prelim spots (for those who matched into both prelim and PGY-2 Advanced, they only listed the Advanced program). In 2017 and earlier, it looks like they completely omitted the partially matched students.

The 2015 MD entering class actually had the highest average MCAT score on record at a 33.9 on the old scale (vs a 33.5 in 2014 entering class and 32.6 in 2013 entering class). Although probably unrelated, this is also the entering class where the MD class was ~70% male. Given the positive correlation between MCAT and Step 1 scores, I would expect this class to have performed better than any previous class on Step 1(though I don't have the numbers yet...).

I think the only time UM had significant underperformance as a whole class on Step 1 were the first 2 MD/MPH classes (classes of 2015 and 2016), in which there was a high failure rate on Step 1. Since the class of 2017, the MD/MPH class's Step 1 scores as a whole have gotten better but still lag behind the MD class by a few points. However, despite the lower Step 1 scores, the Class of 2017 and 2018 MD/MPH class matched into residencies at a higher rate than the MD class (for example, the MD/MPH class had a 100% match rate in 2018, while about 14 people in the MD class had to SOAP). I think the difference comes down to more MD/MPH students applying to less competitive primary-care based specialties (where Match rates for USMD grads are around ~98%), and more MD students applying to competitive specialties (where the match rates for USMD grads are <90% or average Step 1 scores are > 240).

Also, while less of an issue in the long run the fail rate for Step 2 CS at UM has historically been much higher than the national average, and in the class of 2018, 26 out of 200 (13%) failed CS on the first attempt and had to re-take it ( See slides 17-18 on this ppt: http://ren.mededu.miami.edu/MD_Curriculum/Misc/OPDCG/OSCE_&_Step2CS_Orientation_slides_2018.pptx). Keep in mind that most people in this class took CS right after NBME changed the CS grading standards to essentially target a 6% failure rate for USMD grads (insted of the 3% failure rate they had aimed for in the past). Although failing CS doesn't hurt your in the Match nearly to the extent that a failure in Step 1 does, still something to be aware of.

Last edited:
My understanding is everyone on the list is still at play, but the highest on the list that weren’t accepted by this last Wednesday’s meeting are confirmed to be the 30-40 alternates listed on MSAR, about 30 of which turn into acceptances. Everyone else is still technically at play (waitlisted, if you will), especially since alternates can withdraw before or after acceptance

Maybe, but at most there have been 10 acceptance days which means 20 x 10 = 200 acceptances. That still leaves 120 people unaccounted for by the 30 you talk about. Additionally, there was an interview or two in mid and late march that I doubt were considered in the last meeting because it was too soon. Maybe someone from one of those dates could comment on whether they received a decision, but if not, it wouldn't make sense that this waitlist is already set in stone apart from the master list. I know that according to past threads, they asked people in May if they wanted to be an alternate on what I am guessing is the true wait list, and rejected others who were probably too low to ever be accepted over the others. This may be where those numbers come from, but the numbers are pretty optimistic considering a lot of those people didn't seem to hear anything after that. They have been pretty transparent about how they do things prior to the last posted acceptance day, but after that is very confusing and unclear to me.

Maybe, but at most there have been 10 acceptance days which means 20 x 10 = 200 acceptances. That still leaves 120 people unaccounted for by the 30 you talk about. Additionally, there was an interview or two in mid and late march that I doubt were considered in the last meeting because it was too soon. Maybe someone from one of those dates could comment on whether they received a decision, but if not, it wouldn't make sense that this waitlist is already set in stone apart from the master list. I know that according to past threads, they asked people in May if they wanted to be an alternate on what I am guessing is the true wait list, and rejected others who were probably too low to ever be accepted over the others. This may be where those numbers come from, but the numbers are pretty optimistic considering a lot of those people didn't seem to hear anything after that. They have been pretty transparent about how they do things prior to the last posted acceptance day, but after that is very confusing and unclear to me.
I interviewed 3/25 and they said the earliest we'd hear by was April 10.

Just a reminder that anyone that has questions about UM can reply/tag/pm me. I don’t always check this thread but love UM and am always around to give it you straight about out school.

Reactions: 4 users
I felt like I should come back and say this, but the MSAR WL data for UM is completely untrue, and no one knows why they have that listed there. WL movement at UM is generally high, but not very predictable either. Last year it was a bit low from what I see. Do not have high hopes if you're on it right now, because it is a lot larger than the current class size.

I felt like I should come back and say this, but the MSAR WL data for UM is completely untrue, and no one knows why they have that listed there. WL movement at UM is generally high, but not very predictable either. Last year it was a bit low from what I see. Do not have high hopes if you're on it right now, because it is a lot larger than the current class size.

What do you mean from what you see? What are you seeing? I doubt that what’s reported to MSAR is “made up.” It’s probably more that what a layperson considers “waitlisted” is different than what is reported to the centralized system as an “alternate” (but is what MSAR uses the term “waitlisted”). I think it’s just semantics.

What do you mean from what you see? What are you seeing? I doubt that what’s reported to MSAR is “made up.” It’s probably more that what a layperson considers “waitlisted” is different than what is reported to the centralized system as an “alternate” (but is what MSAR uses the term “waitlisted”). I think it’s just semantics.

Look at the last year SDN thread. That’s what I saw. Also not everything on the MSAR is totally true. UM has had that exact WL information on MSAR every year. There’s simply no way only 40 people are on the waitlist and 30 come off. It could be that someone just needed to fill it in and had limited data when their MSAR report was due.

Disregard the semantics of waitlist vs alternate list. We all know how UM’s alt list works.

Look at the last year SDN thread. That’s what I saw. Also not everything on the MSAR is totally true. UM has had that exact WL information on MSAR every year. There’s simply no way only 40 people are on the waitlist and 30 come off. It could be that someone just needed to fill it in and had limited data when their MSAR report was due.

Disregard the semantics of waitlist vs alternate list. We all know how UM’s alt list works.

I just wouldn’t base anything off of what can be seen on sdn. Is everyone who is still waiting to hear back post-interview in the same situation of having received an “alternate” status email? I posit that only 30-40 people got that email out of everyone still waiting, but please correct me if I’m definitely wrong.

Miami sending me the R on April Fool's Day, idk what to believe

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone who was accepted last week received the 2nd look day invite?

R also! hurts slightly more than the usual R coming from my alma mater but it’s all good