2018-2019 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
He replied this is what he said how exciting!

Thank you for your email and continued interest. I believe that your chances of coming off of the alternate list and getting a seat this year are very good. Perhaps within the next week.

Reactions: 8 users
He replied this is what he said how exciting!

Thank you for your email and continued interest. I believe that your chances of coming off of the alternate list and getting a seat this year are very good. Perhaps within the next week.

Can I ask when exactly you emailed him and what you said? I'm considering doing the same, but I don't want to overstep in my position as an applicant (in wording and questions asked, etc)!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I ask when exactly you emailed him and what you said? I'm considering doing the same, but I don't want to overstep in my position as an applicant (in wording and questions asked, etc)!

Just use common sense man. In my opinion, this process is more real-world than we think.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how being put on the alternate list works? I thought everyone from the same interview date gets scored and then either accepted or waitlisted one the same list. If I was waitlisted before people on my same interview date have been accepted or waitlisted does that mean I’m super low on the alternate list?
When did you hear back? I interviewed same day and haven't heard anything (lol rip).

Who should we email regarding MD/MPH waitlist? I'm hoping they could provide insight like Dr. Weisman did.

I asked Miami (delicately, of course) if they can match my scholarship offer at another school because this was my top choice, but alas, they said no. So I am withdrawing due to financial reasons, best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
I asked Miami (delicately, of course) if they can match my scholarship offer at another school because this was my top choice, but alas, they said no. So I am withdrawing due to financial reasons, best of luck to everyone!
Any chance you could say what school and how much scholarship you got?

Spoke to financial aid today. There might have been some confusion regarding need-based aid being distributed at a later date. If you've already received a scholarship, then you have already been considered for all types of scholarships and therefore that is the final amount the school is awarding you. UM seems to also have institutional donor loans but that is not to be confused with scholarship money. It's an entirely different matter which you would have to ask the financial aid director if you want to sign up for these loans. It seems that they are more borrower-friendly than the usual unsub and gradplus loans but the tradeoff being that you are disqualified from federal loan forgiveness programs.

guys i need help. been getting really conflicting information from people. I first got a 50% scholarship from another school and then emailed Weisman to let him know. I got offered a matching 50% from UM which im super grateful and never expected. some family/friends seem to think i should tell the other school to see if they can increase their initial offer. in the rare case they offer me lets say 75% some people think i should then use that new number to negotiate with UM. i really dont think i should do that because i feel unbelievably lucky to have gotten 50% from UM. Miller was my top choice so i reallly dont wanna push it. any thoughts?
How long did it take them to match your scholarship after letting them know about it?

Members don't see this ad :)
How long did it take to receive a financial aid offer after acceptance?

Withdrew my A from here today. Hope it goes toward one of you folks.

Reactions: 7 users
Spoke to financial aid today. There might have been some confusion regarding need-based aid being distributed at a later date. If you've already received a scholarship, then you have already been considered for all types of scholarships and therefore that is the final amount the school is awarding you. UM seems to also have institutional donor loans but that is not to be confused with scholarship money. It's an entirely different matter which you would have to ask the financial aid director if you want to sign up for these loans. It seems that they are more borrower-friendly than the usual unsub and gradplus loans but the tradeoff being that you are disqualified from federal loan forgiveness programs.
does this include the diversity scholarship?

Was told there was a good chance of me coming off the alternate list as well! Would be thrilled if I got in.

Reactions: 4 users
does this include the diversity scholarship?

Based on last year's thread, the "diversity scholarship" may actually refer to institutional donor loans awarded in consideration of diversity/need. That said, one of the M1s advised reaching out to Dean Symes (the diversity dean) if seeking out additional scholarships on the basis of diversity.

Reactions: 1 users
Can someone recap what they said in 2nd look?

"Please come to school here" was really the gist of it. Pre-clinical curriculum is fully P/F now, unranked until the third year. They're incorporating some evidence-based stuff into their teaching, with more PBL and different kinds of videos that are not just someone speaking over a powerpoint. All non-mandatory lectures are recorded and posted online. Anatomy is now 14 weeks instead of 8, and the MD and MD/MPH tracks will be more in sync. Lots of opportunities to shadow and do research. And lots of opportunities to meet classmates and upperclassmen between the academic societies and service opportunities. The culture of the school seems very "work hard, play hard" and the students generally seem pretty content. Happy to answer specific questions if you want to PM me!

Reactions: 6 users
Weisman also informed me that I should be getting off the waitlist pretty soon!

Anyone else get a notification saying their financial aid information changed? I logged into CaneLink but it looks like nothing changed.

He also said my chances were "good" for getting off the waitlist... is he telling this to everyone or is he being honest?

He is giving some people time ranges in which they will hear back. I do not know if he is doing that for everyone but that might be a good way of finding out where you are in the list.

I got a "very good" and then a vague "we will know more as we approach April 30th" so hopefully we hear some good news as we get closer to traffic day!!

I got next week but I was one of the first to ask so he might have changed his message afterwards

I emailed yesterday afternoon and haven’t gotten a response yet. Wasn’t sure if that was normal if he seems to be getting back to others pretty quickly in general :/

in past threads it seems like he advised some people to make other plans so im thinking its decent news for us. i think hes known to be honest about chances

I wonder if they still have open seats or if they are just anticipating a lot of people dropping their acceptances after the 30th

Does anyone know about the UM April 30th rule. Is making your final choice suggested or required by that date? I am asking because I know some schools are making it optional and some are not

Does anyone know about the UM April 30th rule. Is making your final choice suggested or required by that date? I am asking because I know some schools are making it optional and some are not
I dont know what rule you refer to, but the AAMC hard rule is to have at most 1 acceptance selected on April 30. (its also courteous for those without acceptances or on waitlists)

Did you just straight up ask in the email about your chances of getting off the waitlist? How direct were you?

Well he said I should be off before April 30th which sounds pretty good to me!

Did you just straight up ask in the email about your chances of getting off the waitlist? How direct were you?
Yea I straight up asked and also let him know I was still interested. He also asked me to tell him if I had other acceptances /scholarship offers

If Miami stratifies every applicant by rank, how are they able to balance the demographics of their class? Schools with ranked waitlists have to move down the list without deviation as specified by the LCME.

Where can we find our CaneID? I received an email saying I have a message.

Last edited:
Did you guys all fill out the diversity section of the scholarship form?