2018-2019 University of Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if MPH classes are pass/fail or graded?
Summer was a little annoying as every public health course had mandatory attendance and ran from like either 9 or 10-3 or 4 minus a day per week. You start having 8 am pbl's 3x per week in fall and that extends to the end of the year. I'm not sure how anatomy will work for you but we had one 4 hour chunk every other week on a non-pbl day starting at 9am, which extend till march. That leaves 1 day off on anatomy on weeks and 2 days off on anatomy off weeks, but like I said that may vary with the curriculum changes.

Graded, but do not count in your rankings
Not sure if that changes with the p/f implementation
At my recent interview, the MPH people said that they do not plan to move the MPH courses to p/f. However, they suggested that residency directors either did not see the MPH grades because the degree is not complete yet (?) or did not really care about them.

MPH courses are graded but in your MSPE which is the "Dean's letter" it only mentions that you're in good standing to completing your MPH and residency programs do not get a transcript of those grades - i.e. you basically just need to pass the courses while absorbing as much as you can so that you get your money's worth.

It will be really easy to blow off the assignments but again, I stress that you should learn as much as you can. Plus, you can and will be embarrassed if you're asked to call on this background and you have nothing to show for it lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
MPH courses are graded but in your MSPE which is the "Dean's letter" it only mentions that you're in good standing to completing your MPH and residency programs do not get a transcript of those grades - i.e. you basically just need to pass the courses while absorbing as much as you can so that you get your money's worth.

It will be really easy to blow off the assignments but again, I stress that you should learn as much as you can. Plus, you can and will be embarrassed if you're asked to call on this background and you have nothing to show for it lol.
So, the MPH courses do not go on your transcript? I'm confused because if you submit your transcripts to residency programs and your MPH grades are on your transcript what do you mean by they don't get those grades? Are they maybe separate transcripts for MD and MPH and only have to send MD transcripts? I'm confused lol thanks in advance!

So, the MPH courses do not go on your transcript? I'm confused because if you submit your transcripts to residency programs and your MPH grades are on your transcript what do you mean by they don't get those grades? Are they maybe separate transcripts for MD and MPH and only have to send MD transcripts? I'm confused lol thanks in advance!

I forget the specifics whether they only send medical coursework on the transcript or if the MPH coursework just says pass but they do not get a numerical value of your MPH stuff - this has been verified.

Admin specifically did this so that students could learn without the added pressure since we are getting two degrees at once.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted MD/Ph.D. on Tuesday! SO SO excited to be joining y'all and to be a Cane!

Reactions: 4 users
I emailed Weisman again on Monday about the alternate list and this is what he said: We are having some activity with a few students coming off of the alternate list. I think that this will be the last week we will go to the alternate list. If you haven’t heard from us by Friday, I think you might move forward with other plans.

I emailed Weisman again on Monday about the alternate list and this is what he said: We are having some activity with a few students coming off of the alternate list. I think that this will be the last week we will go to the alternate list. If you haven’t heard from us by Friday, I think you might move forward with other plans.

MD or MD/MPH?

is this for md mph? because that would make more sense

Has everyone who has emailed him gotten a response? I emailed on the first of May and a follow-up a week after, but haven’t heard anything yet.

Has everyone who has emailed him gotten a response? I emailed on the first of May and a follow-up a week after, but haven’t heard anything yet.
Just FYI: I emailed him on May 2 and he responded within an hour. Your email may have just been at the bottom of his inbox tbh. Not sure.

is this for md mph? because that would make more sense

I'm MD only. I was surprised too because I thought there would be a lot more movement on the alternate list into June. This could also be me specific though so I'd definitely email him to ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
I e-mailed Dr. Weisman this morning regarding movement off the alternate list for the MD/MPH program. His response was that the class has been at capacity and they have not been able to accept additional applicants off the waitlist. He said that he did not expect that will change this year.

Hey guys, I emailed Dr. Weisman about the MD alternate list earlier and he said they haven't had a great deal of movement on the list this year, but "anything is possible up to mid-June"

When is the commit to enroll date for the MD program?

I'm not sure if anyone here has started all the pre-matriculation paperwork, but for one of the forms it says "Title" under our signature. Does anyone know what we put here?

I'm not sure if anyone here has started all the pre-matriculation paperwork, but for one of the forms it says "Title" under our signature. Does anyone know what we put here?
I think we just put the standard Ms, Mrs, Mr title. I just put Ms and they accepted it as done

Curious to know if anyone has heard anything about more potential waitlist movement for the MD program? Miami is my first and I'm in at my second. I'm wondering when I should finally let go of Miami and move on...?

Curious to know if anyone has heard anything about more potential waitlist movement for the MD program? Miami is my first and I'm in at my second. I'm wondering when I should finally let go of Miami and move on...?
CTE is on June 26 so might wait till after that date, but seems like movement has been minimal

Have most of you already done the roommate search? Or are people still looking for roommates?

(haven't really started my search yet so wondering if I should reach out to people on the excel sheet or if people are already matched up)

Have most of you already done the roommate search? Or are people still looking for roommates?

(haven't really started my search yet so wondering if I should reach out to people on the excel sheet or if people are already matched up)

It seems like there are still a few people looking for roommates...you might want to check out the class Facebook group for posts from people who are still looking

Messaged you!

The one clinical experience that strengthened my conviction to study medicine was shadowing a primary care physician. I talk about this in my personal statement and as one of my most meaningful experiences. For the part in BOLD, in the question below. Does it mean I cannot talk about this experience any more or that I should write about anecdotes while shadowing the PCP that I did not mention anywhere else in my primary application?
  • Briefly describe the one clinical experience you have had that has most significantly influenced your decision to study medicine. Do not replicate your AMCAS personal statement.

Good morning, I will be interviewing for both MD and MD/MPH in a couple of weeks. I haven't found much on how to prepare for the dual program side of the app. Any advise? Thanks

Sorry to revive this thread but did anyone get a late secondary (12/10) sent to them and gotten an interview? I just got a secondary email from them but I am worried that I might be throwing my money away since it is so late in the cycle.

some background
gpa 3.6
mcat 516 (130/126/130/130)
decent EC
lots of leadership experience/work experience
decent clinical volunteering/interning
not that much community service hours (I listed them as leadership experience instead of community service on AAMC)

Any students with advice on how to go about asking for scholarship matches?