2018-2019 University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MD Prompts:

1. Choose one of the following areas in which you have interest. (Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Underserved Populations, Entrepreneurial Medicine or Other (specify)). Comment on how you would hope to impact medicine in this area. Please do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).

2. At the University of Michigan Medical School, we are committed to building a superb educational community with students of diverse talents, experiences, opinions, and backgrounds. What would you as an individual bring to our medical school community? Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).

3. OPTIONAL. If you would like to comment in depth regarding your research background you may answer this optional question. How would your past experiences in laboratory-based research on fundamental problems in the biological and biomedical sciences motivate you to pursue similar efforts as a physician-scientist? Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).

MSTP Prompts (only Q1 is different):

1. Briefly describe why you decided to apply to the University of Michigan MSTP. If you are interested in a specific department, program, or area of research for your Ph.D., please provide a brief explanation (we recognize that your interests may change). Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).

2. At the University of Michigan Medical School, we are committed to building a superb educational community with students of diverse talents, experiences, opinions, and backgrounds. What would you as an individual bring to our medical school community? Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).

OPTIONAL: 3. If you would like to comment in depth regarding your research background you may answer this optional question. How would your past experiences in laboratory-based research on fundamental problems in the biological and biomedical sciences motivate you to pursue similar efforts as a physician-scientist? Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Michigan Medical School

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
These 2 prompts have been repeated for the last 3 application cycles

Essay 1
Tell us something you are passionate about and why. Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).

Essay 2
At the University of Michigan Medical School, we are committed to building a superb educational community with students of diverse talents, experiences, opinions, and backgrounds. What would you as an individual bring to our medical school community? Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone, I'm really excited to be applying to UMich this cycle! I did my undergrad here and am so in love with the city and have heard very positive things from current medical students. This is probably my top choice right now, so I'll be following this thread pretty closely. Good luck to you all!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, I will be starting at UMich this fall! Feel free to PM me if you have questions about the cycle. I'll answer them if I can!

Reactions: 5 users
Hey everyone, I'm really excited to be applying to UMich this cycle! I did my undergrad here and am so in love with the city and have heard very positive things from current medical students. This is probably my top choice right now, so I'll be following this thread pretty closely. Good luck to you all!
How's the weather? I know it's such a random question but I'm from the South so I'm worried lol. This is definitely my top choice though!

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

Hoping for some in-state love! Good luck everyone :thumbup:

How's the weather? I know it's such a random question but I'm from the South so I'm worried lol. This is definitely my top choice though!

Can be tough in the winter for someone from the South, but you can easily get used to it.

I did my undergrad here and also have a large portion of my family that live in North Carolina, so I'm pretty well versed with both climates. That being said, Michigan has awesome weather in the summer (normally mid-80s) and Fall is personally my favorite because it's still usually 60+ degrees in October and you can see all the changing colors. Winter, on the other hand, is a completely different beast. Because Michigan is one of the cloudiest states in the US, the winter has become difficult for me personally with no sun, dry skin, consistent daytime highs below the 30s for December-February, and the dreadful traffic that comes along with snow/ice. However, living in Ann Arbor means you can get away with not having a car and can spend more money on a great winter coat, boots, etc. Overall, I loved my time in Ann Arbor and the weather didn't change that. It just takes more effort and planning before going about your day than in the South. An inside joke in Michigan is how you can actually experience all 4 seasons in one day, which is very much true.

Reactions: 2 users
I’ve lived in Michigan my whole life, so I can’t speak much in terms of comparisons to the South, but I really have enjoyed being somewhere where I can experience all four seasons. Fall is absolutely beautiful (think ideal “sweater weather”) and Michigan produces a lot of apples which makes for fun trips with friends to cider mills. I personally dislike winter but as was said before, a little planning goes a long way. Investing in some nice boots and a parka makes everything bearable. A car is not totally necessary in Ann Arbor, so you won’t have to worry too much about driving in winter conditions. The city and campus are very walkable. Lastly, I don’t think you can easily beat the summers here! Temperatures are usually in the 80’s and pretty sunny, and there are many opportunities to visit sand dunes and lakes not too far from the university. While I’d love to have some longer summers, I like that Michigan offers a lot of variety in terms of weather. You’d get to experience a little bit of everything!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone, I will also be an incoming M1 this fall, so feel free to PM me or shoot questions my way on here and I would be more than happy to answer them.

Great points about the weather below, but I would say that you are required to have a car for clinicals, which start second year, even though Ann Arbor is totally doable without a car otherwise.

I did my undergrad here and also have a large portion of my family that live in North Carolina, so I'm pretty well versed with both climates. That being said, Michigan has awesome weather in the summer (normally mid-80s) and Fall is personally my favorite because it's still usually 60+ degrees in October and you can see all the changing colors. Winter, on the other hand, is a completely different beast. Because Michigan is one of the cloudiest states in the US, the winter has become difficult for me personally with no sun, dry skin, consistent daytime highs below the 30s for December-February, and the dreadful traffic that comes along with snow/ice. However, living in Ann Arbor means you can get away with not having a car and can spend more money on a great winter coat, boots, etc. Overall, I loved my time in Ann Arbor and the weather didn't change that. It just takes more effort and planning before going about your day than in the South. An inside joke in Michigan is how you can actually experience all 4 seasons in one day, which is very much true.

ns. The city and campus are very walkable. Lastly, I don’t think you can easily beat the summers here! Temperatures are usually in the 80’s and pretty sunny, and there are many opportunities to visit sand dunes and lakes not too far from the university. While I’d love to have some longer summers, I like that Michigan offers a lot

Reactions: 4 users
Is Michigan huge on stats? I am a 3.75/515 level applicant with a boatload of research (and the other necessary stuff as well) but wondering if I should apply.

I don’t think they are that huge. I have similar stats and I am applying. It’s worth the try. Good luck to us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think they are that huge. I have similar stats and I am applying. It’s worth the try. Good luck to us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sure hope not (especially cause I am not a IS applicant). Good luck to us indeed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is Michigan huge on stats? I am a 3.75/515 level applicant with a boatload of research (and the other necessary stuff as well) but wondering if I should apply.
Every school is going to care about stats, but I got the feeling that Michigan is slightly more forgiving than some similarly ranked schools if you excel in other areas. According to MSAR, their median GPA and MCAT for acceptance is 3.88 and 518 overall and for out-of-state and a slightly more forgiving 3.82/514 for in-state. Though high, this is slightly lower than similarly ranked schools (Yale 3.88/521, Vanderbilt 3.91/521, Columbia 3.87/519, Duke 5.88/519 WashU 3.91/521, Baylor 3.92/519 OOS). Also, Michigan seems to have a slightly broader distribution of accepted stats (10th percentile is 3.59/510, 25th is 3.73/513). I would think that a 3.75/515 would at least put you in range at Michigan, though below the median, especially if the rest of your application is good. Of course, we never really know what exactly is prioritized for the committee. Best of luck!

Hey guys! Michigan is absolutely my dream school! While I'm OOS, all my family is from Michigan and both my parents graduated from Michigan's College of Pharmacy. With that being said, do we know if having parents as alumni of the school will help with getting an interview/acceptance? My GPA is on par but my MCAT is slightly under the median (516). Just praying they give me a chance!

Hey guys! Michigan is absolutely my dream school! While I'm OOS, all my family is from Michigan and both my parents graduated from Michigan's College of Pharmacy. With that being said, do we know if having parents as alumni of the school will help with getting an interview/acceptance? My GPA is on par but my MCAT is slightly under the median (516). Just praying they give me a chance!
With that legacy, you do have better chance to be considered for an interview. You are however not guaranteed for an interview, not to say acceptance. Good luck!

Last edited:

Thanks for being so helpful! I have one terribly important question: do med students get football tickets?

Thanks for being so helpful! I have one terribly important question: do med students get football tickets?
I didn't do undergrad in Ann Arbor, but basketball/football/hockey season tickets are available for purchase for med students. I was able to get tickets to all of the home football games for $175 + fees ($190 total). I can't speak to the quality of the seating, but that price point is not bad at all!

I didn't do undergrad in Ann Arbor, but basketball/football/hockey season tickets are available for purchase for med students. I was able to get tickets to all of the home football games for $175 + fees ($190 total). I can't speak to the quality of the seating, but that price point is not bad at all!

That's awesome, thanks! I'm excited about applying to Michigan for lots of other (more important) reasons and was half-kidding with my question, but I'm coming from a football school and have a healthy appreciation for college football Saturdays!

That's awesome, thanks! I'm excited about applying to Michigan for lots of other (more important) reasons and was half-kidding with my question, but I'm coming from a football school and have a healthy appreciation for college football Saturdays!
For sure. Obviously it isn't the most important factor when picking a school, but I would be lying if I said that Big 10 sports didn't weigh into my decision.

That's a sweet deal. I am a huge Michigan fan. Seeing a game at the Big House is on my bucket list.

Secondary received this morning!

Prompts:
1. Choose one of the following areas in which you have interest. (Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Underserved Populations, Entrepreneurial Medicine or Other (specify)). Comment on how you would hope to impact medicine in this area. Please do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).

3. OPTIONAL. If you would like to comment in depth regarding your research background you may answer this optional question. How would your past experiences in laboratory-based research on fundamental problems in the biological and biomedical sciences motivate you to pursue similar efforts as a physician-scientist? Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).

Best of luck all!

Prompts:

Best of luck all!

Also received this morning and confirming that these are the prompts. First one changed from previous years.

Good luck everyone!

Received, posting MSTP prompts as well, only Q1 is different:

1. Briefly describe why you decided to apply to the University of Michigan MSTP. If you are interested in a specific department, program, or area of research for your Ph.D., please provide a brief explanation (we recognize that your interests may change). Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).

OPTIONAL: 3. If you would like to comment in depth regarding your research background you may answer this optional question. How would your past experiences in laboratory-based research on fundamental problems in the biological and biomedical sciences motivate you to pursue similar efforts as a physician-scientist? Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).

Last edited:

Prompts:

Best of luck all!
+1, good luck everyone

Welp. Guess I wasted that time pre-writing about a passion of mine.

Could I use my passion essay for essay 2, and stretch it to apply to medicine?

Would it be bad to pick biomedical sciences for essay 1 and then also write the optional essay about research? I'm worried there's a lot of overlap between the two prompts if I do so. I did write about my wanting to serve underserved populations in my essay 2, but I don't think I have enough about helping underserved populations in medicine specifically to warrant a full essay.

Yeah, I used my passion for my diversity and then modified my original divertsity for essay 1, it depends on what you were writing about though.

Edit: anybody’s status show CASPer recieved? Mine still only says Primary Recieved even though I also submitted secondary and took CASPer June 3

Last edited:
I had a different diversity that I wrote and just used that. The problem is that my diversity is tied into my mission which is now related to essay 1.

I had a different diversity that I wrote and just used that. The problem is that my diversity is tied into my mission which is now related to essay 1.

My issue. I feel like my diversity and my question 1 will be too similar

If we are not applying MSTP, should we fill out the 3rd optional prompt? It says "How would your past experiences in laboratory-based research on fundamental problems in the biological and biomedical sciences motivate you to pursue similar efforts as a physician-scientist?" I plan on just applying regular MD

If we are not applying MSTP, should we fill out the 3rd optional prompt? It says "How would your past experiences in laboratory-based research on fundamental problems in the biological and biomedical sciences motivate you to pursue similar efforts as a physician-scientist?" I plan on just applying regular MD

I am applying regular MD, I filled it out. But I also plan on doing research, just not to the extent of MD PhDs

Would it be bad to pick biomedical sciences for essay 1 and then also write the optional essay about research? I'm worried there's a lot of overlap between the two prompts if I do so. I did write about my wanting to serve underserved populations in my essay 2, but I don't think I have enough about helping underserved populations in medicine specifically to warrant a full essay.
My issue right now. I was going to write about my research and how I hope to apply it to medicine and then I read the optional essay ha. Makes me feel like I should write about something else! Still trying to piece together something in my head!

My issue. I feel like my diversity and my question 1 will be too similar
I already submitted to its out of my control. This is a super reach for me (LM 67ish) so lets see how this plays out.

My issue right now. I was going to write about my research and how I hope to apply it to medicine and then I read the optional essay ha. Makes me feel like I should write about something else! Still trying to piece together something in my head!

Yeah, I decided to treat the first question as what I hoped to accomplish in the biomedical sciences, and the optional prompt as being very specific to how working on fundamental projects influenced how I viewed research and how that applies to a career as a physician-scientist. So it went like my first essay describing what I wanted to do, and the optional describing my inspirations as stemming from my past work.

I'm still working on it, but I think I like the direction it's headed. Let me know if you/anyone have/has any comments or suggestions!

Is the character limit with or without spaces? Most places its typically with spaces but this app doesn't specify

You already got your answer, but I will add that $190 for season football tickets is an amazing deal! If you don't want to buy season tickets, a lot of students will sell tickets to individual games they aren't planning on going to. Additionally, if you do buy season tickets, it's easy to sell some of them! I know kids who sold tickets to the Ohio State game for over $200 per ticket. Gamedays here are amazing. They may not be on every med student's radar and certainly aren't a legitimately essential factor, but I'd say that everyone should experience the fun and energy of tailgating, the student section, and post-game bar nights at least once!

You already got your answer, but I will add that $190 for season football tickets is an amazing deal! If you don't want to buy season tickets, a lot of students will sell tickets to individual games they aren't planning on going to. Additionally, if you do buy season tickets, it's easy to sell some of them! I know kids who sold tickets to the Ohio State game for over $200 per ticket. Gamedays here are amazing. They may not be on every med student's radar and certainly aren't a legitimately essential factor, but I'd say that everyone should experience the fun and energy of tailgating, the student section, and post-game bar nights at least once!
Dude 2ish years ago I was at the OSU Mich game (as an OSU student) and the lady next to me paid $700 for her ticket. I paid like....$35. Student tickets are the real MVP. And you can flip them if your money is tight which was me at the end of each month haha.

For questions 1 and 2 I have quite a bit of overlap.
These are main points I could do for my diversity:
  1. Rural upbringing
  2. LGBTQ experience in rural
  3. Experience in teaching Supplemental instruction and passion for innovations in education + group learning
I really have quite a bit to talk about in terms of how my rural upbringing has shaped my values and how I interact/view people. However, my answer for 1 would be undeserved populations with the goal of improving rural healthcare delivery because that is 100% where I see myself practicing. Is it bad to talk about the rural theme in both answers if I discuss them in different ways?

For questions 1 and 2 I have quite a bit of overlap.
These are main points I could do for my diversity:
  1. Rural upbringing
  2. LGBTQ experience in rural
  3. Experience in teaching Supplemental instruction and passion for innovations in education + group learning
I really have quite a bit to talk about in terms of how my rural upbringing has shaped my values and how I interact/view people. However, my answer for 1 would be undeserved populations with the goal of improving rural healthcare delivery because that is 100% where I see myself practicing. Is it bad to talk about the rural theme in both answers if I discuss them in different ways?

Wow, I also grew up rural and am LGBTQ+, and was planning on talking about those things in my diversity essay. However, I'm not as interested in rural health, although that perspective has changed how I think about healthcare across many spectrums. I'm sure you would be golden to discuss them different ways. Perhaps you could focus a bit more on the LGBTQ+ side for the diversity essay since it's more personal, and more generally rural healthcare for the first essay, from a career perspective? If you ever want to swap essays for another pair of eyes, feel free to message me!

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but it is ok to refer to the medical school as "UM" for character purposes? I'm at like 1499 characters with one of the essays lol but if they prefer "U of M" or "UM Medical School" or something, I'll rework some sentences to accommodate.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but it is ok to refer to the medical school as "UM" for character purposes? I'm at like 1499 characters with one of the essays lol but if they prefer "U of M" or "UM Medical School" or something, I'll rework some sentences to accommodate.

I used UMMS because that's what they used on their website, I hope that's okay!