2018-2019 University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also just realized, did anyone get an email back after requesting a fin aid package confirming it? The email said to send it to [email protected] but the email is from [email protected]? I don't know if the email works regardless or if I sent it to nowhere? On the fin aid page on the Michigan website it also lists just @umich.edu, not really sure at this point.

And you said that your CARS wasn't high!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hola guys!

Just a heads up, I responded to that email within 13 minutes and I just got my estimate back, so hopefully ya'll receive yours well before second look!

Reactions: 2 users
Hola guys!

Just a heads up, I responded to that email within 13 minutes and I just got my estimate back, so hopefully ya'll receive yours well before second look!

+1

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@Nerdanese @Arsartium Congrats! Does it include need based aid? I submitted mine probably within 5 minutes but nada yet.

Yes! It has a row for scholarships, a row for grants, and a row for loans, and it shows you your financial aid for the entire cost of attendance.

just got my aid package and it’s depressing, i’m so sad I loved michigan :(

Hey don't forget about the next round of scholarships in April! If you have any other acceptances/scholarships, now might a good time to tell Admissions Director Carol Teener.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey don't forget about the next round of scholarships in April! If you have any other acceptances/scholarships, now might a good time the tell Admissions Director Carol Teener.
I thought there is only one round of scholarship offers?

I thought there is only one round of scholarship offers?

Allegedly there is anyone round after second look. Someone else suggested this could be due to applicants who got scholarships choosing elsewhere (those fools) and then those being redistributed to applicants who committed to enroll.

Allegedly there is anyone round after second look. Someone else suggested this could be due to applicants who got scholarships choosing elsewhere (those fools) and then those being redistributed to applicants who committed to enroll.

Also check the Facebook group too to stay up to date with any info UMich gives us - Ms. Teener said explicitly that attending Second Look does NOT change your chance for scholarships/whatnot.

fyi: after getting my disappointing financial aid package, I emailed to ask if there were still opportunities for scholarships and was told that there are not. So the April round of scholarships either does not exist this year or is a myth!!!

Who did you email? Ms.Teener told me directly about the April round of scholarships. This is no myth.

Has anyone seen Michigan's match list yet? I've been waiting for it, but the newest one I can find is 2018.

Has anyone seen Michigan's match list yet? I've been waiting for it, but the newest one I can find is 2018.

Are you looking for something like this? Or the list of actual programs and how many grads matched into each.

AEA28B2D-CD04-4F3C-9BB3-886B06ED48EA.jpeg

University of Michigan 2019

Anesthesiology
Beaumont Health-MI
Beaumont Health-MI
Hosp of the Univ of PA
Massachusetts Gen Hosp
Northwestern McGaw/NMH/VA
NY Presbyterian Hosp-Columbia
Oregon Health & Science Univ
Univ of Chicago
Univ of Colorado
Univ of Maryland
Univ of Michigan
Univ of Michigan
Univ of Michigan

Dermatology
Montefiore Med Ctr/Einstein
Univ of Michigan
Univ of Michigan
Univ of Rochester/Strong Memorial

Emergency Medicine
Denver Health
Denver Health
Detroit Med Ctr/WSU
Greenville Health Sys/Univ of So Carolina
Henry Ford Hospital-MI
Henry Ford Hospital-MI
Henry Ford Hospital-MI
Henry Ford Hospital-MI
Indiana University
John Peter Smith
Ohio State University
Presence Resurrection
Stanford
Univ of Chicago
Univ of Michigan
Univ of Michigan
Univ of Utah

Family Medicine
Beaumont Health-MI
John Peter Smith
Mercy Health Grand Rapids-MI
Mountain Area Health Edu Ctr-NC
Sparrow Hospital-MI
Univ of Chicago Med Ctr
Univ of Colorado
Univ of Wisconsin
Ventura County Med Ctr-CA

General Surgery
Brigham & Womens
Massachusetts Gen
St Joseph Mercy-Ann Arbor-MI
Univ of Michigan
Univ of Washington
Univ of Wisconsin (Academic Pathway)

Internal Medicine
Brigham & Womens
Cleveland Clinic
Med Coll Wisconsin
Med Coll Wisconsin
NY Presbyterian Hosp-Weill Cornell (ABIM Research Pathway)
NYU
Stanford
Stanford
UC San Diego
UC San Diego
UC San Francisco
Univ of Chicago
Univ of Chicago
Univ of Chicago
Univ of Michigan
Univ of Michigan
Univ of Michigan
Univ of Texas Southwestern
Univ of Utah
Univ of Utah
Univ of Washington
UPMC
Virginia Mason
Yale-New Haven

Internal Medicine-Primary Care
Brigham & Womens
NYU
NYU
Univ of Washington

Med/Peds
Baylor Coll Med-Houston
Brigham & Womens
Case Western/Univ Hosps
Hosp of the Univ of PA
Jackson Memorial
Univ of Chicago
Univ of Michigan
Univ of Michigan
Univ of Michigan

Neurological Surgery
Univ of Michigan
Univ of Utah

Neurology
Stanford

OB/Gyn
Beaumont Health-MI
Brigham & Womens
Case Western/MetroHealth
Case Western/Univ Hosps
Henry Ford Hospital-MI
Montefiore Med Ctr/Einstein
Mountain Area Health Edu Ctr
Ohio State University
St Joseph Mercy-Ann Arbor-MI
Univ of Michigan
Univ of Michigan
Univ of Utah

Ophthalmology
Beaumont Health
Henry Ford Hospital
Illinois Eye and Ear Infirmary
USC Roski Eye Institute

Orthopaedic Surgery
Cleveland Clinic
Henry Ford Hospital-MI
Henry Ford Hospital-MI

Otorlaryngology-HNS
UCLA
Univ of Cincinnati
Univ of Michigan
Univ of Michigan
Vanderbilt Univ Med Ctr-TN
West Virginia University SOM

Pathology
Univ of Michigan
Stanford

Pediatrics
Case Western/Univ Hosps
Childrens Hospital-Boston
Childrens Hospital-LA
Northwestern McGaw/Lurie Childrens
NY Presbyterian Hosp-Weill Cornell
Univ of Arizona COM at Tucson
Univ of Michigan
Univ of Rochester/Strong Memorial
Univ of Utah
Univ of Washington

Pediatrics/EM
Univ of Arizona COM at Tucson

Peds/Psych/Child Psych (Triple Board)
UPMC

Plastic Surgery
Emory
Univ of Minnesota

Psychiatry
Florida Atlantic Univ-Schmidt COM
UC Davis
UCLA Semel Inst
Univ of Michigan
Univ of Minnesota
Univ of Wisconsin

Radiation Oncology
Loyola
Wake Forest

Radiology-Diagnostic
Brigham & Womens
Univ of Michigan
Univ of Michigan
Zucker SOM-Northwell NS/LIJ

Radiology-Interventional
Rush

Thoracic and Cardiac Surgery
Univ of Michigan
University of Virginia

Urology
Kaiser LA
Temple

(EDIT: Added the missing bone(r) matches.)

Here is one listed by specialty, I just found this one easier to digest than the one listed by name.

Last edited:
How are we supposed to “read” these match lists? Maybe I’m doing it wrong but Michigan’s doesn’t look as impressive as I thought it’d be for a top 20 School.

How are we supposed to “read” these match lists? Maybe I’m doing it wrong but Michigan’s doesn’t look as impressive as I thought it’d be for a top 20 School.

I guess this depends on how you gauge the "impressiveness" of a residency list.

First of all, Michigan has long been a Top 10 school for primary care (#6 per USNWR at least, for what that's worth). Consider this along with the fact that it's a public university who takes pride in the number of their grads who pursue residencies in family med, pediatrics or internal medicine. You can see on their match day infographic they have an orange box right in the center that states "45% entering fields that lead to primary care career". UM does seem to have a different overall attitude and outlook compared to some of the smaller, private (and less well-known) med schools. If I remember correctly, UM does have the highest research funding of any public medical school in the US, but it also has a stated goal of training top-notch internists and family med docs.

I think it comes down to how they measure their own success, and that success clearly looks like a high percentage of primary care fields alongside the traditionally more competitive specialties. You still have plenty the likes of neurosurgery, plastics, ophthalmology, radiation oncology, dermatology, cardiothoracic surgery, orthopedic surgery, etc. etc. represented every year. (Also, that list quoted above isn't quite complete either. I have already seen a couple missing in that list compared to UM's official website match list.)

I guess this depends on how you gauge the "impressiveness" of a residency list.

First of all, Michigan has long been a Top 10 school for primary care (#6 per USNWR at least, for what that's worth). Consider this along with the fact that it's a public university who takes pride in the number of their grads who pursue residencies in family med, pediatrics or internal medicine. You can see on their match day infographic they have an orange box right in the center that states "45% entering fields that lead to primary care career". UM does seem to have a different overall attitude and outlook compared to some of the smaller, private (and less well-known) med schools. If I remember correctly, UM does have the highest research funding of any public medical school in the US, but it also has a stated goal of training top-notch internists and family med docs.

I think it comes down to how they measure their own success, and that success clearly looks like a high percentage of primary care fields alongside the traditionally more competitive specialties. You still have plenty the likes of neurosurgery, plastics, ophthalmology, radiation oncology, dermatology, cardiothoracic surgery, orthopedic surgery, etc. etc. represented every year. (Also, that list quoted above isn't quite complete either. I have already seen a couple missing in that list compared to UM's official website match list.)
What you’re saying totally makes sense. I just thought that for a school with the prestige of Michigan, the students matching in primary care specialties would be matching at big name institutions. I think many have a regional preference to the Midwest- even with this, i figured there would be more matches at Northwestern/UChicago/UM and the like.

This list doesn't have any institutions included, but just out of curiosity I made a little side-by-side comparison of Michigan's vs. Harvard's match numbers by specialty, based on Harvard's Class of 2018, which can be found here: https://meded.hms.harvard.edu/files...d_medical_school_match_list_for_web_2018.pdf\ (I couldn't find a complete match list for online for Harvard 2019 yet.) They are actually interestingly similar in the general trends across categories.

Michigan 2019 (155 total):
Anesthesiology (13)
Cardiothoracic surgery (2)
Dermatology (4)
Emergency Medicine (17)
Family Medicine (9)
General Surgery (9)
Internal Medicine (39)
Interventional Radiology (1)
Neurosurgery (2)
Neurology (1)
OB/GYN (13)
Ophthalmology (6)
Oral Surgery (0)
Orthopedic Surgery (3)
Otolaryngology (6)
Pathology (2)
Pediatrics (11)
Physical Med & Rehab (0)
Psychiatry (7)
Plastic Surgery (2)
Radiation Oncology (2)
Radiology Diagnostic (4)
Urology (2)
Vascular Surgery (0)

Harvard 2018 (169 total):
Anesthesiology (8)
Cardiothoracic surgery (0)
Dermatology (11)
Emergency Medicine (2)
Family Medicine (3)
General Surgery (7)
Internal Medicine (42)
Interventional Radiology (0)
Neurosurgery (3)
Neurology (6)
OB/GYN (10)
Ophthalmology (5)
Oral Surgery (2)
Orthopedic Surgery (9)
Otolaryngology (0)
Pathology (3)
Pediatrics (16)
Physical Med & Rehab (1)
Psychiatry (7)
Plastic Surgery (4)
Radiation Oncology (13)
Radiology Diagnostic (13)
Urology (2)
Vascular Surgery (2)

Hopefully at least someone finds these number compilations slightly useful, or at the least interesting. :p

What you’re saying totally makes sense. I just thought that for a school with the prestige of Michigan, the students matching in primary care specialties would be matching at big name institutions. I think many have a regional preference to the Midwest- even with this, i figured there would be more matches at Northwestern/UChicago/UM and the like.

Also keep in mind that at a school like Michigan, most students will end up matching into their top 3 choices (they used to have the percentage out there but I couldn’t find the exact number). So while the list may not seem initially impressive to some just by school name, people are ending up where they prefer.

um guys you're missing the most important point about the match list - HH Holmes was an alumni of UMich /s

The note that UMich is a public institution and prides itself on primary care explains why the march list looks different compared to other Top 20s. Coming from Michigan you can match anywhere in just the past few years people have matched at HSS, MGH, Cleveland Clinic, UChicago, Mayo, NYU, UCs, pretty much anywhere and everywhere. It is a matter of where the students want to match.

As a Michigan resident, I have no intentions of leaving Michigan (or the Midwest) for residency and I would imagine a good portion of other students feel the same way.

Also important to note that med school rank and residency rank are not very well correlated which makes analyzing match lists even more complicated.

For current students at UMMS on this thread, or anyone who may be knowledgeable, how is it determined who gets AOA at UMMS?

@littlefishbigpond3270 @Arsartium

I have officially settled the post-second look week scholarship offer debate. If you go are your applicant portal there is a form about the admissions decision and it says

"Our initial Admissions Scholarship offers have been disbursed. We often have another round of Admissions Scholarship offers after Second Look, so stay tuned! We do not match scholarship offers, but it is helpful for us to know about scholarships that you have received from other schools, so you are welcome to send the documentation to me."

So it appears very possible. You can also officially accept the offer on the website. I was wondering if anyone thought accepting it would have any impact on your availability for scholarships? I doubt it would, but the inner neurotic pre-med in me still wonders.

Also, has anyone gotten the information for second look? We were supposed to get it today, but I haven't gotten anything yet.

Reactions: 2 users
@littlefishbigpond3270 @Arsartium

I have officially settled the post-second look week scholarship offer debate. If you go are your applicant portal there is a form about the admissions decision and it says

"Our initial Admissions Scholarship offers have been disbursed. We often have another round of Admissions Scholarship offers after Second Look, so stay tuned! We do not match scholarship offers, but it is helpful for us to know about scholarships that you have received from other schools, so you are welcome to send the documentation to me."

So it appears very possible. You can also officially accept the offer on the website. I was wondering if anyone thought accepting it would have any impact on your availability for scholarships? I doubt it would, but the inner neurotic pre-med in me still wonders.

Also, has anyone gotten the information for second look? We were supposed to get it today, but I haven't gotten anything yet.
I was told definitively I would not be getting a scholarship by Ms. Teener. Perhaps that just means I’m dead last on their list of people who would get a scholarship if the current scholarship recipients decline.

Last edited:
I also found a schedule online for second look:

Second Look

Friday night at 9 PM they have scheduled "Explore the Ann Arbor nightlife with current medical students and future classmates".

For current students at UMMS on this thread, or anyone who may be knowledgeable, how is it determined who gets AOA at UMMS?
They based AOA acceptance on M2 clinical grades (which is what gets reported to residency programs anyway). M1 year is completely pass-fail, so that someone who makes a 75 on every test is in the exact same place as someone who ends with a 100 on every sequence at the end of the M1 year.

They based AOA acceptance on M2 clinical grades (which is what gets reported to residency programs anyway). M1 year is completely pass-fail, so that someone who makes a 75 on every test is in the exact same place as someone who ends with a 100 on every sequence at the end of the M1 year.

I’m at second look and someone asked this question today and can confirm.

Apparently there is also a small part (I think the person said 2% but I couldn’t really hear) that is based on some sort of faculty opinion/recommendations thing, but it isn’t anything you have to get or ask for.

I’m at second look and someone asked this question today and can confirm.

Apparently there is also a small part (I think the person said 2% but I couldn’t really hear) that is based on some sort of faculty opinion/recommendations thing, but it isn’t anything you have to get or ask for.

The 2% was based on your step score, from what I remember. I’m also at 2nd look.

Just received scholarship, I attended second look.

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats! Had you two committed to enroll at Michigan at the time you received the scholarships?

I have been "Planned to enroll" since the first day it opened, I didn't know the commit to enroll was open right now to be completely honest.

I have been "Planned to enroll" since the first day it opened, I didn't know the commit to enroll was open right now to be completely honest.

Thanks! Sorry, I meant "Plan to enroll" since the "Commit" version happens in May (I think?). The difference between the two always confuses me... But good to know that being "undecided" doesn't seem to factor into scholarships.

Thanks! Sorry, I meant "Plan to enroll" since the "Commit" version happens in May (I think?). The difference between the two always confuses me... But good to know that being "undecided" doesn't seem to factor into scholarships.

I don't think they can see who can plan to enroll yet, however, I did fill out a form about second look and I said I was attending and got the scholarship after that.

FYI, I believe all scholarships have been disbursed as of yesterday and you need to make a decision based on your current financial aid package.