2018-2019 University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
FYI, I believe all scholarships have been disbursed as of yesterday and you need to make a decision based on your current financial aid package.

What would give you that impression?

Members don't see this ad.

Ms. Teener told me today. Before today she said to wait and today she said to make my decision based on financials now.
She emailed me today and told me the same. Thinking this is the end of the road for me and Michigan.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know whether/when we need to submit final transcripts? Haven't heard anything about this

Officially withdrew yesterday - headed to Pitt, but UMMS will always hold a special place for me. Best of luck to you all!

Reactions: 4 users
Withdrew as well. It was rough to let this place go.

Reactions: 3 users
Also withdrew today. Made me really sad to do it, but hopefully waitlist folks start hearing good news soon

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll pour some out for the homies at the first tailgate. Sad to see you go.

Reactions: 1 users
Argh is anyone else conflicted about UMich and another school still? I would love to know everyone else's anguish, I'm dreading the countdown to April 30th :(

What would ya'll do in this situation?
A. Go to Michigan where there's a 50/50 chance that you don't pay anything or you pay 23k a year, and not be with your MD/PhD SO for 4-5 years.
B. Go to a (slightly) better school with your MD/PhD SO where there's a 50/50 chance you'll pay 15k a year or you'll pay 65k a year.

Sorry if ya'll have already seen me asking this question somewhere else, I'm just really stuck.

Argh is anyone else conflicted about UMich and another school still? I would love to know everyone else's anguish, I'm dreading the countdown to April 30th :(

A. Go to Michigan where there's a 50/50 chance that you don't pay anything or you pay 23k a year, and not be with your MD/PhD SO for 4-5 years.
B. Go to a (slightly) better school with your MD/PhD SO where there's a 50/50 chance you'll pay 15k a year or you'll pay 65k a year.

Sorry if ya'll have already seen me asking this question somewhere else, I'm just really stuck.

I remember your post from before and still think option B is the way to go -- SO is the way to go and hopefully when you guys are double doc couple you'll make enough to pay off your loans. The good thing is your SO won't have any loans either!

Reactions: 2 users

I'm the biggest Michigan fanboy there is, but I would go with my SO in that situation.

Only situation I would say not to is if they are close to each other in which case I don't think it'd be that bad (my SO and I are going to different schools).

Congrats on your great options!

I'm the biggest Michigan fanboy there is, but I would go with my SO in that situation.

Only situation I would say not to is if they are close to each other in which case I don't think it'd be that bad (my SO and I are going to different schools).

Congrats on your great options!

Thank you so much! :) How close is your SO if you don't mind me asking? Mine would be a 3-4 hour flight/bus combination away, and I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons over and over in my head

Thank you so much! :) How close is your SO if you don't mind me asking? Mine would be a 3-4 hour flight/bus combination away, and I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons over and over in my head

I'm pretty fortunate where we would only be about an hour apart by car. We got pretty lucky.

I would think of the question in terms of how often you think you'd get to see them and for how long. Then after you figure that out: is that enough for you? 3-4 hours is quite the hike and planes are pretty pricey. So for me, I would live with my SO.

What draws you to Michigan? The little lower debt or did you enjoy Michigan more?

I'm pretty fortunate where we would only be about an hour apart by car. We got pretty lucky.

I would think of the question in terms of how often you think you'd get to see them and for how long. Then after you figure that out: is that enough for you? 3-4 hours is quite the hike and planes are pretty pricey. So for me, I would live with my SO.

What draws you to Michigan? The little lower debt or did you enjoy Michigan more?

I enjoyed Michigan a lot, I think Michigan also offers some things the other school can't, and it's so much more financially affordable. Really the only reason why I'd go to the other school is for the SO : P

Why the 50/50 odds in each scenario?

Argh is anyone else conflicted about UMich and another school still? I would love to know everyone else's anguish, I'm dreading the countdown to April 30th

Same. I have basically full tuition at Michigan vs a 15k scholarship at UCSF. Decisions, decisions. So with housing and non tuition costs I’d be taking out 29k in loans at Michigan vs 54k in loans at UCSF. I love both schools but I’m in state in California and there’s the prestige of UCSF (I’m interested in a very competitive specialty). So I don’t know what to do here honestly — I don’t know how big of a deal that 25k difference really is.

What do you all think?

Last edited:
Same. I have basically full tuition at Michigan vs a 15k scholarship at UCSF. Decisions, decisions. So with housing and non tuition costs I’d be taking out 29k in loans at Michigan vs 54k in loans at UCSF. I love both schools but I’m in state in California and there’s the prestige of UCSF (I’m interested in a very competitive specialty). So I don’t know what to do here honestly — I don’t know how big of a deal that 25k difference really is.

What do you all think?
If money is truly the only factor I feel like you're gonna be happy and stress-free at Michigan. Probably won't regret passing on UCSF. On the flip side, if you go to UCSF I feel like there's gonna be a small part of you that's always gonna think "what if I had no debt right now" My two cents personally. Michigan is a super dope program. I have a friend who just matched to his #1 in his desired specialty from Michigan, and totally loved his experience. Said he had no issues getting people to make calls for him wherever so matching is not gonna be an issue either.

If money is truly the only factor I feel like you're gonna be happy and stress-free at Michigan. Probably won't regret passing on UCSF. On the flip side, if you go to UCSF I feel like there's gonna be a small part of you that's always gonna think "what if I had no debt right now" My two cents personally. Michigan is a super dope program. I have a friend who just matched to his #1 in his desired specialty from Michigan, and totally loved his experience. Said he had no issues getting people to make calls for him wherever so matching is not gonna be an issue either.

Yes that’s what I’ve heard. That pretty much debt free is huge. It’s just with things such as step I possibly becoming P/F I know that the prestige of the school is going to matter more and more in the future. Perhaps I’m being paranoid, but I know Michigan is also top-notch. I’m interested in neurosurgery so I feel like I’m going to need any type of competitive edge possible.

Why the 50/50 odds in each scenario?

My custodial parent has a habit of withholding financial aid documents as a manipulation tactic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What do you all think?

Oh that is tough! So we're looking at a 25k/year difference, $100k total? Plug $100k into an accumulation loan calculator and see how much you would have to pay off once you get out of residency; is it still worth the difference? Have you explained UCSF your deal and tried to barter for scholarship? My mentality is to go for the money, but clearly we can see that this mentality isn't working out for me right now :laugh: Do you like both schools equally?

Does UMich throw down?

There's a decision form on your applicant portal.

Ah, thank you TempuraOreos!

What do you all think?

I think you have to think about your own values: Do you value staying close to family? Can you withstand snow/bitter cold (just being honest, MI is very cold compared to Cali)? Would you regret not going to the "more prestigious" school? I think 100k is a big difference but also as a neurosurgeon you will have no problems paying it off IMO but again that choice is up to you. Also UMich has the #9 ranked neurology/neurosurg hospital so you'd get good training. I chose the cheapest school I could because I want to go into IM but again this is all up to you.

What do you all think?

In your situation I would choose Michigan. The only reason I turned down my full tuition + housing scholarship is because of family considerations, and my situation is complicated. I don't think you'll have any trouble matching a competitive specialty from Michigan, and being close to debt-free is major

In your situation I would choose Michigan. The only reason I turned down my full tuition + housing scholarship is because of family considerations, and my situation is complicated. I don't think you'll have any trouble matching a competitive specialty from Michigan, and being close to debt-free is major

Please tell me UCSF matched the scholarship :'(

Yes that’s what I’ve heard. That pretty much debt free is huge. It’s just with things such as step I possibly becoming P/F I know that the prestige of the school is going to matter more and more in the future. Perhaps I’m being paranoid, but I know Michigan is also top-notch. I’m interested in neurosurgery so I feel like I’m going to need any type of competitive edge possible.

UCSF is number 1 in the country by residency director rankings, Michigan is 5. I don’t think it would make much of a difference tbh. However, I would guess (but don’t know for sure) UCSF would make it easier to match in Cali if that’s what you wanted. But as far as nsurg in general I don’t think going to Michigan would hinder you at all.

I enjoyed Michigan a lot, I think Michigan also offers some things the other school can't, and it's so much more financially affordable. Really the only reason why I'd go to the other school is for the SO : P

Man that’s tough then. I would go back to seeing how often you’d think you could see them and then decide if that is enough time together for you. Also M1 is apparently super flexible at Michigan.

Does UMich throw down?

Undoubtedly.

Please tell me UCSF matched the scholarship :'(

Not even close. I am trying to get a bit more need-based aid, to at least get me full-tuition. They were receptive based on my circumstances, so we'll see. Letting go of Michigan legit made me cry.

Not even close. I am trying to get a bit more need-based aid, to at least get me full-tuition. They were receptive based on my circumstances, so we'll see. Letting go of Michigan legit made me cry.

I'm so sorry to hear of that, I hope everything works out for you in the end!

My custodial parent has a habit of withholding financial aid documents as a manipulation tactic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh that is tough! So we're looking at a 25k/year difference, $100k total? Plug $100k into an accumulation loan calculator and see how much you would have to pay off once you get out of residency; is it still worth the difference? Have you explained UCSF your deal and tried to barter for scholarship? My mentality is to go for the money, but clearly we can see that this mentality isn't working out for me right now :laugh: Do you like both schools equally?

100k total and yes I have they said in extremely rare cases they pull together enough money to match but they said they wouldn’t know until around April 30

Had to PAINFULLY withdraw from UM this week. Man, I really loved it and pictured myself going to tailgates every weekend but my heart (and finances) was won over juuuuust slightly more by another place. Hope my spot goes to someone on the waitlist.

I am also torn between two schools, Michigan and Cornell. I am from Michigan, and it has been my dream school forever. I also really like the community (I know more people since I am from there), curriculum, and I have familial circumstances which make me really want to stay close to home. However, Cornell's cost of attendance, including transportation and living costs, is currently 15K per year cheaper (familial circumstances also make finances a very big factor). Moreover, there are lots of rumors about Cornell announcing debt-free tuition this year or very soon. Not to mention that Cornell's jump in rankings to #9, the accessibility of Memorial Sloan Kettering (I am potentially interested in hem/ onc), and the global health opportunities are very attractive.

In the end, I think I still want to go to Michigan, but I don't know if that's just because my heart was set on it right from the beginning and that I literally did not at all expect to get into Cornell (I found out about Michigan waaaay before Cornell). But, it's hard to justify with the potential of graduating debt-free at a similarly reputable institution that offers the opportunities of NYC. Can anyone justify why I should choose Michigan over Cornell or vice versa?

I am also torn between two schools, Michigan and Cornell. I am from Michigan, and it has been my dream school forever. I also really like the community (I know more people since I am from there), curriculum, and I have familial circumstances which make me really want to stay close to home. However, Cornell's cost of attendance, including transportation and living costs, is currently 15K per year cheaper (familial circumstances also make finances a very big factor). Moreover, there are lots of rumors about Cornell announcing debt-free tuition this year or very soon. Not to mention that Cornell's jump in rankings to #9, the accessibility of Memorial Sloan Kettering (I am potentially interested in hem/ onc), and the global health opportunities are very attractive.

In the end, I think I still want to go to Michigan, but I don't know if that's just because my heart was set on it right from the beginning and that I literally did not at all expect to get into Cornell (I found out about Michigan waaaay before Cornell). But, it's hard to justify with the potential of graduating debt-free at a similarly reputable institution that offers the opportunities of NYC. Can anyone justify why I should choose Michigan over Cornell or vice versa?

Your reasonings and my thoughts:

1. Finances. Tbh, $15k a year isn't worth it to justify choosing a school you like a lot more, that's a total of $60k. Unless we're talking debt-free vs. $60k, I don't think it's significant. Do you have any undergrad loans? Have you tried talking to umich about this? What's your take on finances, are you easily stressed about them, etc. Also, did you factor in cost of living in NYC?

2. If Cornell is going debt-free, YOU HAVE TO GET PROOF ABOUT THAT. Call the admissions office and explain your decision - also I don't think that debt-free extends to current med students (someone verify this), only the entering class.

3. A jump to #9 doesn't mean anything, look at residency director rankings and other important things.

4. I haven't compared Cornell in terms of research and global health to umich, so that's up to you to decide! :)

Your reasonings and my thoughts:

1. Finances. Tbh, $15k a year isn't worth it to justify choosing a school you like a lot more, that's a total of $60k. Unless we're talking debt-free vs. $60k, I don't think it's significant. Do you have any undergrad loans? Have you tried talking to umich about this? What's your take on finances, are you easily stressed about them, etc. Also, did you factor in cost of living in NYC?

2. If Cornell is going debt-free, YOU HAVE TO GET PROOF ABOUT THAT. Call the admissions office and explain your decision - also I don't think that debt-free extends to current med students (someone verify this), only the entering class.

3. A jump to #9 doesn't mean anything, look at residency director rankings and other important things.

4. I haven't compared Cornell in terms of research and global health to umich, so that's up to you to decide! :)

I had to divert from this users question, but much of a loan difference do you think is significant enough to justify choosing one school over the other? I ask simply for general knowledge as I consider my decisions.

Furthermore, I wouldn’t mind anyone chiming in on this topic: how much of a loan difference do you all think is significant enough to choose one school over the other?

I had to divert from this users question, but much of a loan difference do you think is significant enough to justify choosing one school over the other? I ask simply for general knowledge as I consider my decisions.

Furthermore, I wouldn’t mind anyone chiming in on this topic: how much of a loan difference do you all think is significant enough to choose one school over the other?

Of course, this really depends on you, but I started this process with clear numbers in mind so I could be more objective.

I organized schools into 4 "tiers" based off opportunities/reputation and personal preference.

Difference <$50K in the same tier, then "follow your heart"

Difference >$100K then a school could "jump" one tier. A.K.A "follow the money." But if there was a difference of 2 or 3 tiers then I didn't really have a clear plan. Maybe >$150K for 2 tiers, >$200K for 3 tiers. Fortunately, I haven't had that situation come up yet.

I'm pretty sure I'm subspecializing, but I could imagine different set points for those certain about pursuing primary care.

I talked with some of my colleagues at work. They said if the cost difference between the school with better opportunities and the cheaper school is less than $100,000 total, then it would be worth it to pay more for the opportunity. If you are arguing between two great schools it can be difficult though. Ultimately you need to choose somewhere you will be happy, and if it will cost slightly more, your happiness is worth. Remember, you are investing in yourself here.

I'd have to mostly agree with the points raised by @Nerdanese. $60K COA difference puts the schools in the same league as far as finances. Rank difference is negligible too. But there is potentially a real difference in terms of living experience. This is NYC versus Ann Arbor. NYC is truly bustling, international city (which can be overwhelming for some). With regard to global health, some would say that includes immigrant/refugee enclaves, of which NYC has a plethora. On the the hand, Michigan's 1 yr pre-clinical means plenty of time for international rotations. It may be worth watching (if you haven't already) the Global Health and Disparities panel posted on the Michigan Admitted Students facebook page. Also, maybe you could reach out to Dr. Deborah Berman? She had alot to say about global health at Michigan when I spoke with her.

Regarding research, if you really are considering heme/onc there are three major centers I've come across in my own oncology research--MD-Anderson, Sloan Kettering, and Dana-Farber. Sloan Kettering is a behemoth in oncology. Many of the high impact papers, I read come from them.

Congrats and good luck! You've made it!

Thank you everyone for your input and amazing advice, it was very helpful! Just some follow-up questions:

1. In terms of finances, Cornell is costing me about 1/2 to 2/3 of what Michigan costs me (including the living costs associated with NYC). Cornell has given me significant financial aid, and I have talked to Michigan two times about at least matching some part of the financial aid (Michigan only gave me a little bit of scholarship). But, Michigan has not been receptive to matching, and Ms. Teener says there are no funds. Cornell has maintained silence on the debt free question when asked the office, because I don't think they will say anything about it until it actually happens (if it happens). And, my impression was that debt-free does seem to extend to current med students as well (a current M1 I talked to was very excited and hopeful of debt-free happening). And, I guess it's not stress about finances, but more of I am just not sure if additional loans are justified when Cornell seems to be just as good of an institution as Michigan (it's guaranteed to be 60K cheaper and maybe even more if debt free happens).

2. I have not yet watched the global health disparities panel from Michigan, but I hope to soon! I am beginning to believe that the global health opportunities at both institutions are relatively equal and both great. However, if I do seek a career in heme/ onc, would choosing Michigan be letting go of a great opportunity to research at Memorial Sloan? Does anyone know anything about the cancer center at Michigan?

Like I said, I am still leaning towards Michigan, but I just want to make sure the extra money I would be paying is worth it!

Thank you everyone for your input and amazing advice, it was very helpful! Just some follow-up questions:

1. In terms of finances, Cornell is costing me about 1/2 to 2/3 of what Michigan costs me (including the living costs associated with NYC). Cornell has given me significant financial aid, and I have talked to Michigan two times about at least matching some part of the financial aid (Michigan only gave me a little bit of scholarship). But, Michigan has not been receptive to matching, and Ms. Teener says there are no funds. Cornell has maintained silence on the debt free question when asked the office, because I don't think they will say anything about it until it actually happens (if it happens). And, my impression was that debt-free does seem to extend to current med students as well (a current M1 I talked to was very excited and hopeful of debt-free happening). And, I guess it's not stress about finances, but more of I am just not sure if additional loans are justified when Cornell seems to be just as good of an institution as Michigan (it's guaranteed to be 60K cheaper and maybe even more if debt free happens).

2. I have not yet watched the global health disparities panel from Michigan, but I hope to soon! I am beginning to believe that the global health opportunities at both institutions are relatively equal and both great. However, if I do seek a career in heme/ onc, would choosing Michigan be letting go of a great opportunity to research at Memorial Sloan? Does anyone know anything about the cancer center at Michigan?

Like I said, I am still leaning towards Michigan, but I just want to make sure the extra money I would be paying is worth it!

"Ms. Teener says there are no funds." Ask closer to April 30th when more of the heavyweights are dropping Michigan + Scholarship

"Ms. Teener says there are no funds." Ask closer to April 30th when more of the heavyweights are dropping Michigan + Scholarship

unfortunately she said “you have to make the decision based on your financial package now because there are no more funds left” so not sure if they’re even going to redistribute scholarships

Would you mind sharing your total expected debt from Umich vs. Cornell (assuming no debt-free thing)? I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the numbers.

If the $ difference is small (<$50k), then I would say go where you want to be. If you consider the $ difference to be significant, then go where your wallet wants to be

unfortunately she said “you have to make the decision based on your financial package now because there are no more funds left” so not sure if they’re even going to redistribute scholarships

have you asked specifically if they will reallocate dropped money? might be worth a shot, worst is she says no again

have you asked specifically if they will reallocate dropped money? might be worth a shot, worst is she says no again

If any brave soul wants to ask that would be great because I have bothered Carol enough I feel like LOL

Also in terms of debt if you’re interested in heme/onc and you end up going into it your loan is going to be accruing interest for 10 years while you do residency and fellowship... I would recommend calculating how much that 60k difference would actually turn out to be assuming that you can’t pay off very much of it during your training.