2018-2019 University of Minnesota, Duluth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to everyone accepted!!! For those of you accepted, would you mind sharing the date you interviewed? Just wondering where they are at in the review process! Anxious to hear back!!!!
Congrats to everyone accepted!!! For those of you accepted, would you mind sharing the date you interviewed? Just wondering where they are at in the review process! Anxious to hear back!!!!
End of August!

Members don't see this ad.

I was also accepted Monday! I interviewed at the end of August as well.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The admissions lady told me that it would be exactly 6-8 weeks after your interview date. They said after 8 weeks, make sure to give them a call because they might make a mistake and forget to notify you or something like that. (interviewed 9/20 and will hear nothing back until around first week of November)

Members don't see this ad :)
Of those accepted, when did you get a call during the week? This upcoming week is the 7th week after my interview and I'm really hoping I don't get a WL email.

Of those accepted, when did you get a call during the week? This upcoming week is the 7th week after my interview and I'm really hoping I don't get a WL email.
They called me on a monday around noon. Good luck and good vibes!

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know where they are at in terms of interview invites and whether they review apps in order or prioritize IS? I wasn't complete until October (IS).

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the WL email today. They said we won't be told our place on WL until every interview is completed (April). Feels bad man.

Rejected on 11/8, complete 8/29, OOS with a few connections, MCAT 511, cGPA 3.88, sGPA 3.86

Last edited:
Just put on the wait list. How does the wait list here work? I was put into the alternate list category, is there already a priority one out? Thanks all and best of luck!

Just put on the wait list. How does the wait list here work? I was put into the alternate list category, is there already a priority one out? Thanks all and best of luck!

They explain the WL in the email they send you. You get ranked in top half or bottom half and they let you know once interviews are completed. Remember that UMD does freeze admissions. They reached their limit of initial acceptances earlier in October so they will be waitlisting (basically) everyone until all interviews are complete. A friend of mine that goes there said there won't be waitlist movement until April.

Last edited:
They explain the WL in the email they send you. You get ranked in top half or bottom half and they let you know once interviews are completed. Remember that UMD does freeze admissions. They reached their limit of initial acceptances earlier in October so they will be waitlisting (basically) everyone until all interviews are complete. A friend of mine that goes there said there won't be waitlist movement until April.

Do you know what the general waitlist movement is at this school (average spots given per year)? I can't seem to find anything about it

Do you know what the general waitlist movement is at this school (average spots given per year)? I can't seem to find anything about it

Conflicting reports. Friends said most of their class was on WL but some people on here say there was less than 10. This year, there will be more WL movement due to the new traffic rules.

Conflicting reports. Friends said most of their class was on WL but some people on here say there was less than 10. This year, there will be more WL movement due to the new traffic rules.
The difference is really how you define the waitlist, because everyone after the first 40 spots is technically waitlisted but there are actually 25 seats left that are filled before April (which some of those people fill and some don’t), then there’s the true waitlist which begins moving end of April/early May. Half the class was placed on waitlist after their interview because of 25 students getting in following the halt in acceptances which occurs around November interviews usually, but people who got into the class after May 1 when people can only hold 1 acceptance and students deferring until next year are approved is closer to 10-15. Hope that clears up the numbers!

Reactions: 1 users
The difference is really how you define the waitlist, because everyone after the first 40 spots is technically waitlisted but there are actually 25 seats left that are filled before April (which some of those people fill and some don’t), then there’s the true waitlist which begins moving end of April/early May. Half the class was placed on waitlist after their interview because of 25 students getting in following the halt in acceptances which occurs around November interviews usually, but people who got into the class after May 1 when people can only hold 1 acceptance and students deferring until next year are approved is closer to 10-15. Hope that clears up the numbers!

That was very helpful, thanks for the clarification! It's good to know not all hope is lost haha

I interviewed the first week on November
Oh man I’m sorry to hear that but there’s still hope with the WL. I interviewed the first week of November too and haven’t heard back yet.

I know they mentioned in their primary app that UMD doesn't accept update letters, but what is the consensus on LOI? Are those to be avoided?

They do not accept LOI either.

I'm assuming this is because of freeze admissions. They call it alternative list because they want to wait until everyone is interviewed before they choose who to accept for the rest of the class. Kinda stinks because there really is no difference of applying early and interviewing in September vs. January.

I'm assuming this is because of freeze admissions. They call it alternative list because they want to wait until everyone is interviewed before they choose who to accept for the rest of the class. Kinda stinks because there really is no difference of applying early and interviewing in September vs. January.
Yeah, that makes sense. Here's to a long wait then, friends!

Has anyone gotten a high priority acceptance pool email yet? They told me at my interview that this would be sent out in place of an acceptance with them on hold for now. I got my alternate list email a couple days ago and I’m wondering how high my hopes should be.

Warning long post ahead!

Hello everyone, been debating writing this post but having just talked with a family friend who is in the same situation as most of you i was asked to share it.

A few disclaimers I’d like to get out of the way 1) if you’ve been exploring SDN one of the true wisdoms of this site is continue to better your application until you have that acceptance in hand 2) my information about the process is from last year with some being learned as a current student , so administration could be doing things different especially in respect to not getting the multiple acceptance report this year.

So to begin I think it helps to know how the acceptance process work at Duluth. Applications are given a numerical value, numbers above a certain threshold are automatic acceptances, if your number is on the boarder your interviewer is called and asked to advocate for you, helping swing you one way or the other. If your number is below the threshold but above the rejection number you are placed on the alternative list (what Duluth calls their waitlist, why they have to confuse us I don’t know)
What is a kind of unique process at Duluth though is the acceptance freeze, this happens when 40 students have been accepted, as to not have individuals interviewing for only the waitlist. This happened in Late October/early November this year and sometime late November last year. This is where it gets personal for me as I interviewed at Duluth early December last year so hold was in full effect. Thankfully though one of my interviewers explained the following to me. So when the freeze is in place your best case senerio is to be placed on the Highest priority pool, this pool differs from the alternative list in two big ways.
1) to be in the highest priority pool means your application score was in the automatic acceptance range
2) you can be given an acceptance at anytime once being placed on the pool, unlike the alternative list where you have to wait till may to receive your waitlist number.
(This happens as anytime the acceptances dip below 40, they will release an acceptance from the highest priority pool)

General knowledge about the freeze is it remains in place until interviews wrap up around mid/late February. From there all spots are filled from the highest priority pool. Last year the highest priority pools numbers where higher then spots so a group of 10/15 people filled the first tier of the ranked waitlist (alternative pool). Having spoken with classmates everyone who was originally in the highest priority pool did eventually get an acceptance as I know of 2 classmates who came from the alternative pool.

So in summary all hope is not gone by keep working towards getting that acceptance! Have to say I am so happy with my choice at Duluth

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know when one would hear about scholarships for attending Duluth? I’m an out of state student and was wondering if scholarship offers were given when the acceptance call was made?

Im wondering the same thing too. I’m oos accepted 12/19 and wasnt told anything about scholarships during my acceptance call. But looking back at one of last years forums someone had a scholarship at the end of February so we might hear something by next month. Also, make sure you have your Fasfa done, that may help expedite the process.

Does anyone know when one would hear about scholarships for attending Duluth? I’m an out of state student and was wondering if scholarship offers were given when the acceptance call was made?

Im wondering the same thing too. I’m oos accepted 12/19 and wasnt told anything about scholarships during my acceptance call. But looking back at one of last years forums someone had a scholarship at the end of February so we might hear something by next month. Also, make sure you have your Fasfa done, that may help expedite the process.

Okay, thank you! Yes, hopefully we hear something soon!

Accepted just now!!! I’m so happy!! Good luck everyone.

Congrats future doc! Were you on the high priority list?
Thank you! But I have no idea. All she said on the phone was that I was "accepted" and I will be getting more information soon, so no mention of any type of list. And this is the first correspondence I've had with Duluth post-interview.

Last edited:
Rejected post II, they closed my file due to my place in the 3rd group. Time to start working on the reapp, good luck all!

Accepted a few days ago. OOS, interviewed early January.

Got the post II R as well! Oh well, best of luck future Duluth peeps!

UMD probably the only school that rejects people off their WL #savage

UMD probably the only school that rejects people off their WL #savage

Well, at least they’re realistic with the waitlisted folks! Better than silence until June

Reactions: 2 users
Withdrew today after much deliberation, so the spot will go to one of you beautiful people! Good luck everyone.