Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

2018-2019 University of Minnesota, Twin Cities

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by gyngyn, May 14, 2018.

1. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Minnesota Twin Cities Medical School

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 gyngyn, May 14, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2018
  2. chemistryteacher

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Following! Non-trad reapplicant. I didn't re-apply last cycle as I was taking some pretty drastic life-rearranging steps to improve my application.

Reader88 and 3toedsloth like this.
  3. californiadreaming93

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hey everyone! U of M is one of my top choices. I'm OOS, however, I did grad school here and have ties to the state. Will a July MCAT hurt me if everything else is submitted on time?

4. chemistryteacher

2+ Year Member

Probably not; last time I applied they didn't send out secondaries until mid-July anyway.

WIMNFamilyMed likes this.
  5. WIMNFamilyMed

Pre-Medical
    FYI: Waitlist movement for the 2018 matriculating class hit person #20 around June 1.
    Alternate list ranking was sent out May 3rd.
    Interview decisions took 4-5 weeks.

If you're looking at the 2017-2018 threads for UMN, Duluth and Twin cities admissions was one thread, not two separate threads like this year.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. MicrobeParade

MicrobeParade The Alienist

Medical Student
    Just an FYI to you and anyone else who is OOS-- I'm sure this applies to other state schools as well, but UMTC has a higher GPA and MCAT threshold for OOS applicants when deciding who gets an II. A couple years ago I spoke to a rep from the admissions office, who stated your GPA and MCAT typically need to be above the medians for their incoming class in order to be considered for an interview. Note they said typically, so if you're OOS and your numbers aren't at that threshold, you may still receive a secondary and get that chance to wow them with your story.

#6 MicrobeParade, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    californiadreaming93 likes this.
  7. esentr

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Sorry, to clarify- is this a screen at the secondary level, or at the II level? I'm applying OOS but I have strong MN ties, so this is one of my top choices!

8. WIMNFamilyMed

Pre-Medical
    They said “when deciding who gets an II” which is (interview invite) :)

9. MicrobeParade

Medical Student
    TC does pre-screen based on your MCAT score. Somebody in last year's thread posted the message they send after receiving your AMCAS:

I can't speak for everyone, but at my interview last year, almost everyone either was a MN resident or had close ties to MN. If you have a lot of significant ties, like you grew up in MN, they might be more lenient with the GPA and MCAT screen. There were a couple of OOS people without any ties to MN, but they went to Top 20 schools and had really outstanding EC's.

Also, in case the avatar threw anyone off, I'm female. I just really like Luke Evans ;)

esentr likes this.
  10. Amroashi

Has anyone received their secondary, yet?

11. PursuingHappy

Verified Account 5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Nope

12. Reader88

Pre-Medical
    No. I think it went out on this day last year so hopefully soon.

#12 Reader88, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  13. Reader88

Pre-Medical
    Anyone else get an email today thinking it was the secondary but it was only another email saying "we're still reviewing primary applications, be patient" ?

14. tradersluck

tradersluck LECOM wasn't as bad as the internet says.

Do you guys think I'll get screened out based on my stats and ties? 510 w/ a 3.89cGPA. Did UMTC for undergrad post CC, the SO of 5 years did her undergrad here and has full-time employment at a local hospital, all my LORs are UMN faculty, and I can vomit reasons "why UMN?" Minneapolis is a shining star compared to the Midwest city I came from, and I'm 100% not ready to leave.

@MicrobeParade 's mention of the higher stat thresholds are stirring my pre-med neuroticism.

15. WIMNFamilyMed

Pre-Medical
    Haha, no, your stats are decent, those numbers won’t play a large (if any) negative role in a final decision and certainly not in screening.

16. MicrobeParade

Medical Student
    I don't think you're likely to get screened out. You have solid numbers and you may actually be looked at favorably for your ties to UMTC. State schools generally want students who will stay in their state, and it sounds like you're committed to staying in MN for a while. Since you have strong ties and multiple reasons to attend, they may give your application more consideration.

17. qwerta

Pre-Medical
    Any news on secondaries? My primary was processed this Monday, and I didn't get a "we're still reviewing primaries" email- so just wondering!

18. tradersluck

I appreciate the reassurance!

19. tradersluck

I've got nothing yet, and I didn't get the "we're still reviewing" email either.

qwerta likes this.
  20. chemistryteacher

2+ Year Member

Just got secondary!

esentr, Reader88 and qwerta like this.
  21. Reader88

Pre-Medical
    I am bummed to see I’ll have to tweak my essays a bit but hoping to get it done soon! Top choice!

22. iowaPT

2+ Year Member

Can one of you guys post the questions please, I would really appreciate it! I'm still waiting for my application to be verified.

23. osalas

Prompts please?

24. Doctalkwalk1

+1

25. Red_Panda

Pre-Medical
    Some of the character limits may be slightly off. I'm doing it from memory because it doesn't show after I submitted. @gyngyn

1. Please describe your experiences with intentionally expanding your cultural awareness in an effort to promote acceptance, respect, and inclusivity. (1500 Characters)

2. Reflect on your background and the impact it has had on developing your own values and attitudes toward others, particularly those with values different than your own. Please include how your values and attitudes will foster a positive learning environment during your training, and benefit your future patients through the practice of medicine. (1500 Characters)

3. Beyond what you have shared in question two, please share information about important aspects of your personal background or identity as it relates to your desire to pursue medicine. Examples might include, but are not limited to, cultural context, disabilities, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, lived experiences, race/ethnicity, religion or spirituality, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status. (This question is not required.)(900-1500?)

4. If you have a specific interest in the study or practice of medicine please share it here. Please include specific experiences that have informed your interest. (This question is not required.) (900-1500?)

5. Please describe a challenging life experience and how you dealt with it. (1500 Characters)

6. Briefly describe why you are interested in attending the University of Minnesota Medical School Twin Cities campus. (1500 Characters)

7. Are you a resident of the state of Minnesota?

8. If you selected OTHER, please provide a brief explanation as to why.

9. If you are a non-resident applicant, do you have any special or significant ties to the state of MN? (Non-resident applicants are not required to have ties to MN and this question is not required.)

10. Please explain any gaps in your education and/or work experiences since high school graduation that are not previously described in your application. (300 characters)

11. Have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor and/or felony?
    12. If YES, you must include a full explanation below.

13. What other pertinent information would you like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee? This is an opportunity for you to discuss or highlight any aspect of your journey to medicine that you may or may not have already presented in your application. Â You may also update us with any current experiences that were not included in your AMCAS application. (This question is not required.) (900-1500?) (I think 900)

14. If you are a re-applicant, how has your current application changed or what additional information would you like to highlight for the Admissions Committee? Re-applicant refers to having applied to any medical school in the past. (This question is not required unless you are a re-applicant.) (900-1500???)

Everything listed is max character limit. Hope this helps!

qwerta and damronatron like this.
  26. Thoracic Cheeto

Anyone else still waiting for the secondary?

Pharaoh95 and TheBadge24 like this.
  27. justacat

New to the forum. For the record, the first batch went out on July 14th.

28. ped_inc

ped_inc SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Verified Account

I still haven't gotten the secondary, but I haven't gotten a rejection either.

TheBadge24 and Thoracic Cheeto like this.
  29. Reader88

Pre-Medical
    Hey! I’m just another applicant so take my word with a grain of salt but lots of schools send secondaries in batches so I wouldn’t worry. Their screen is only based on MCAT (and maybe GPA?) with fairly low cut-offs

30. SeltzerMFwater

Pre-Medical
    Just to clarify, the character counts are from memory or the prompts are from memory? If it's the latter I'm extremely impressed.

31. Red_Panda

Pre-Medical
    Character counts! The latter is well above my ability.

SeltzerMFwater likes this.
  32. qwerta

Pre-Medical
    Anyone else not receive a secondary yet?

33. Reader88

Pre-Medical
    MN is my top choice because I’d love to stay near family and Minneapolis>Madison, but in terms of programs I definitely think Wisconsin’s is more unique! Best of luck to you as well!

TheBadge24 likes this.
  34. tradersluck

Yep. I was verified 7/16, so it might be a while for me.

qwerta likes this.
  35. Reader88

Pre-Medical
    How is everyone answering #4?

36. WIMNFamilyMed

Pre-Medical
    Isn’t that really a personal question? If you don’t have a decent answer to it, I’d probably advise skipping it. Or to write about one of the school’s mission components or a desired medical student quality (service to underserved or rural etc) to try and earn extra points but only if you can back it up well with real evidence of your experiences.

37. Reader88

Pre-Medical
    Sorry I should clarify, I wasn’t sure how to
    interpret it. It’s not that I don’t have a decent answer, just wasn’t sure if it only meant speciality or could be broader as you’ve indicated here.

38. WIMNFamilyMed

Pre-Medical
    Oh, ok. Yeah, I think it can really be as broad or specific as you want. Working with a specific ethnic population, in a geographic region, with patients with low socioeconomic status, working for a NGO abroad someday even. Or it can be a specialty or subspecialty. The only thing I would avoid is a little too far fetched or complicated idea they might roll their eyes at, ex: “I will be the chief of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins in 20 years”

Reader88 likes this.
  39. Optimistic Future Doctor

Pre-Medical
    Can we get a confirmation on some of the character counts? I hope they're 900, but I want to know before I prewrite.

40. Thoracic Cheeto

Still have not received the secondary.

41. lemonade58

+1

Sidenote I can't get over your username @Thoracic Cheeto it's too good and I had to take an actual moment to honor it

Thoracic Cheeto likes this.
  42. thatoneguy3

Pre-Medical
    What are you all adding for question 3? I do not want to leave it completely blank but I’m trying to figure out what else to add besides what I wrote in question 2 already?

43. Thoracic Cheeto

Just a quick question for you and anyone who has already received the secondary - did you all get a separate email for the supplemental application? I have already received the email for the campus selection in early July, but I have not received any others.

tradersluck likes this.
  44. thatoneguy3

Pre-Medical
    I got that one, one saying they’d send one out in a few weeks, then a few days ago the secondary

45. tradersluck

Hey homie, I was verified on 7/16, and I sent in the campus choice on, like, 7/10 or so. No secondary here either. Kinda keeps the spirits up to hear I'm not alone. Ill post here when I get it.

46. iowaPT

2+ Year Member

I would like a conformation as well. Anyone willing to help??

47. turtle93

Pre-Medical
    I got the campus choice email on 07/02/18 and chose to apply to both the TC and Duluth campuses. I received the secondary for Duluth on 07/10, but have not heard back from TC.

48. tidyberry

Pre-Medical
    I also got the campus choice email 7/2, and just received the TC secondary on Thursday 7/26. I think there is always a long delay for them. Hope you hear back soon!

Thoracic Cheeto and turtle93 like this.
  49. qwerta

Pre-Medical
    +1

50. chemistryteacher

2+ Year Member

campus selection July 2 (I chose UMTC only)
    AMCAS verified July 19
    secondary July 20