2018-2019 University of Minnesota, Twin Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Minnesota Twin Cities Medical School

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Following! Non-trad reapplicant. I didn't re-apply last cycle as I was taking some pretty drastic life-rearranging steps to improve my application.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone! U of M is one of my top choices. I'm OOS, however, I did grad school here and have ties to the state. Will a July MCAT hurt me if everything else is submitted on time?

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI: Waitlist movement for the 2018 matriculating class hit person #20 around June 1.
Alternate list ranking was sent out May 3rd.
Interview decisions took 4-5 weeks.

If you're looking at the 2017-2018 threads for UMN, Duluth and Twin cities admissions was one thread, not two separate threads like this year.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone! U of M is one of my top choices. I'm OOS, however, I did grad school here and have ties to the state. Will a July MCAT hurt me if everything else is submitted on time?

Just an FYI to you and anyone else who is OOS-- I'm sure this applies to other state schools as well, but UMTC has a higher GPA and MCAT threshold for OOS applicants when deciding who gets an II. A couple years ago I spoke to a rep from the admissions office, who stated your GPA and MCAT typically need to be above the medians for their incoming class in order to be considered for an interview. Note they said typically, so if you're OOS and your numbers aren't at that threshold, you may still receive a secondary and get that chance to wow them with your story.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just an FYI to you and anyone else who is OOS-- I'm sure this applies to other state schools as well, but UMTC has a higher GPA and MCAT threshold for OOS applicants when deciding who gets an II. A couple years ago I spoke to a rep from the admissions office, who stated your GPA and MCAT typically need to be above the medians for their incoming class in order to be considered for an interview. Note they said typically, so if you're OOS and your numbers aren't at that threshold, you may still receive a secondary and get that chance to wow them with your story.

Sorry, to clarify- is this a screen at the secondary level, or at the II level? I'm applying OOS but I have strong MN ties, so this is one of my top choices!

Sorry, to clarify- is this a screen at the secondary level, or at the II level? I'm applying OOS but I have strong MN ties, so this is one of my top choices!
They said “when deciding who gets an II” which is (interview invite) :)

TC does pre-screen based on your MCAT score. Somebody in last year's thread posted the message they send after receiving your AMCAS:

We screen all primary applications before sending out our campus specific supplemental application. We will not send a supplemental application if you have a pending MCAT score. Please note that this is a different approach from our Duluth campus. If you are an applicant to both campuses, you will likely receive your supplemental from Duluth first.

During the initial screening process, we review several aspects of every application.

- The Twin Cities campus requires a minimum score of 25 on the old exam or a 499 on the new MCAT to receive our supplemental application. If you have both a new and old MCAT score, one of the minimum threshold scores must be obtained to receive our supplemental application. We accept MCAT scores up to three years prior to the application year.

- Applicants must be US citizens or permanent residents.

- Applicants must hold a baccalaureate degree or graduate degree from a college or university in your country of origin or from a university located in the continental United States or Canada.

I can't speak for everyone, but at my interview last year, almost everyone either was a MN resident or had close ties to MN. If you have a lot of significant ties, like you grew up in MN, they might be more lenient with the GPA and MCAT screen. There were a couple of OOS people without any ties to MN, but they went to Top 20 schools and had really outstanding EC's.

Also, in case the avatar threw anyone off, I'm female. I just really like Luke Evans ;)

Anyone else get an email today thinking it was the secondary but it was only another email saying "we're still reviewing primary applications, be patient" ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think I'll get screened out based on my stats and ties? 510 w/ a 3.89cGPA. Did UMTC for undergrad post CC, the SO of 5 years did her undergrad here and has full-time employment at a local hospital, all my LORs are UMN faculty, and I can vomit reasons "why UMN?" Minneapolis is a shining star compared to the Midwest city I came from, and I'm 100% not ready to leave.

@MicrobeParade 's mention of the higher stat thresholds are stirring my pre-med neuroticism.

Do you guys think I'll get screened out based on my stats and ties? 510 w/ a 3.89cGPA. Did UMTC for undergrad post CC, the SO of 5 years did her undergrad here and has full-time employment at a local hospital, all my LORs are UMN faculty, and I can vomit reasons "why UMN?" Minneapolis is a shining star compared to the Midwest city I came from, and I'm 100% not ready to leave.

@MicrobeParade 's mention of the higher stat thresholds are stirring my pre-med neuroticism.
Haha, no, your stats are decent, those numbers won’t play a large (if any) negative role in a final decision and certainly not in screening.

I don't think you're likely to get screened out. You have solid numbers and you may actually be looked at favorably for your ties to UMTC. State schools generally want students who will stay in their state, and it sounds like you're committed to staying in MN for a while. Since you have strong ties and multiple reasons to attend, they may give your application more consideration.

Any news on secondaries? My primary was processed this Monday, and I didn't get a "we're still reviewing primaries" email- so just wondering!

I don't think you're likely to get screened out. You have solid numbers and you may actually be looked at favorably for your ties to UMTC. State schools generally want students who will stay in their state, and it sounds like you're committed to staying in MN for a while. Since you have strong ties and multiple reasons to attend, they may give your application more consideration.
I appreciate the reassurance!

Any news on secondaries? My primary was processed this Monday, and I didn't get a "we're still reviewing primaries" email- so just wondering!
I've got nothing yet, and I didn't get the "we're still reviewing" email either.

I am bummed to see I’ll have to tweak my essays a bit but hoping to get it done soon! Top choice!

Can one of you guys post the questions please, I would really appreciate it! I'm still waiting for my application to be verified.

Some of the character limits may be slightly off. I'm doing it from memory because it doesn't show after I submitted. @gyngyn

1. Please describe your experiences with intentionally expanding your cultural awareness in an effort to promote acceptance, respect, and inclusivity. (1500 Characters)

2. Reflect on your background and the impact it has had on developing your own values and attitudes toward others, particularly those with values different than your own. Please include how your values and attitudes will foster a positive learning environment during your training, and benefit your future patients through the practice of medicine. (1500 Characters)

3. Beyond what you have shared in question two, please share information about important aspects of your personal background or identity as it relates to your desire to pursue medicine. Examples might include, but are not limited to, cultural context, disabilities, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, lived experiences, race/ethnicity, religion or spirituality, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status. (This question is not required.)(900-1500?)

4. If you have a specific interest in the study or practice of medicine please share it here. Please include specific experiences that have informed your interest. (This question is not required.) (900-1500?)

5. Please describe a challenging life experience and how you dealt with it. (1500 Characters)

6. Briefly describe why you are interested in attending the University of Minnesota Medical School Twin Cities campus. (1500 Characters)

7. Are you a resident of the state of Minnesota?

8. If you selected OTHER, please provide a brief explanation as to why.

9. If you are a non-resident applicant, do you have any special or significant ties to the state of MN? (Non-resident applicants are not required to have ties to MN and this question is not required.)

10. Please explain any gaps in your education and/or work experiences since high school graduation that are not previously described in your application. (300 characters)

11. Have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor and/or felony?
12. If YES, you must include a full explanation below.

13. What other pertinent information would you like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee? This is an opportunity for you to discuss or highlight any aspect of your journey to medicine that you may or may not have already presented in your application. Â You may also update us with any current experiences that were not included in your AMCAS application. (This question is not required.) (900-1500?) (I think 900)

14. If you are a re-applicant, how has your current application changed or what additional information would you like to highlight for the Admissions Committee? Re-applicant refers to having applied to any medical school in the past. (This question is not required unless you are a re-applicant.) (900-1500???)

Everything listed is max character limit. Hope this helps!

New to the forum. For the record, the first batch went out on July 14th.

I still haven't gotten the secondary, but I haven't gotten a rejection either.

I still haven't gotten the secondary, but I haven't gotten a rejection either.
Hey! I’m just another applicant so take my word with a grain of salt but lots of schools send secondaries in batches so I wouldn’t worry. Their screen is only based on MCAT (and maybe GPA?) with fairly low cut-offs

Some of the character limits may be slightly off. I'm doing it from memory because it doesn't show after I submitted. @gyngyn

1. Please describe your experiences with intentionally expanding your cultural awareness in an effort to promote acceptance, respect, and inclusivity. (1500 Characters)

2. Reflect on your background and the impact it has had on developing your own values and attitudes toward others, particularly those with values different than your own. Please include how your values and attitudes will foster a positive learning environment during your training, and benefit your future patients through the practice of medicine. (1500 Characters)

3. Beyond what you have shared in question two, please share information about important aspects of your personal background or identity as it relates to your desire to pursue medicine. Examples might include, but are not limited to, cultural context, disabilities, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, lived experiences, race/ethnicity, religion or spirituality, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status. (This question is not required.)(900-1500?)

4. If you have a specific interest in the study or practice of medicine please share it here. Please include specific experiences that have informed your interest. (This question is not required.) (900-1500?)

5. Please describe a challenging life experience and how you dealt with it. (1500 Characters)

6. Briefly describe why you are interested in attending the University of Minnesota Medical School Twin Cities campus. (1500 Characters)

7. Are you a resident of the state of Minnesota?

8. If you selected OTHER, please provide a brief explanation as to why.

9. If you are a non-resident applicant, do you have any special or significant ties to the state of MN? (Non-resident applicants are not required to have ties to MN and this question is not required.)

10. Please explain any gaps in your education and/or work experiences since high school graduation that are not previously described in your application. (300 characters)

11. Have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor and/or felony?
12. If YES, you must include a full explanation below.

13. What other pertinent information would you like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee? This is an opportunity for you to discuss or highlight any aspect of your journey to medicine that you may or may not have already presented in your application. Â You may also update us with any current experiences that were not included in your AMCAS application. (This question is not required.) (900-1500?) (I think 900)

14. If you are a re-applicant, how has your current application changed or what additional information would you like to highlight for the Admissions Committee? Re-applicant refers to having applied to any medical school in the past. (This question is not required unless you are a re-applicant.) (900-1500???)

Everything listed is max character limit. Hope this helps!
Just to clarify, the character counts are from memory or the prompts are from memory? If it's the latter I'm extremely impressed.

Just to clarify, the character counts are from memory or the prompts are from memory? If it's the latter I'm extremely impressed.
Character counts! The latter is well above my ability.

Anyone else not receive a secondary yet?

Reactions: 5 users
As a Wisconsinite, as much as Minnesota sports can get under my skin, their medical program truly is unique and is definitely motivating to spend the next four plus years across the Mississippi. Best of luck to each of you!!
MN is my top choice because I’d love to stay near family and Minneapolis>Madison, but in terms of programs I definitely think Wisconsin’s is more unique! Best of luck to you as well!

How is everyone answering #4?
Isn’t that really a personal question? If you don’t have a decent answer to it, I’d probably advise skipping it. Or to write about one of the school’s mission components or a desired medical student quality (service to underserved or rural etc) to try and earn extra points but only if you can back it up well with real evidence of your experiences.

Isn’t that really a personal question? If you don’t have a decent answer to it, I’d probably advise skipping it. Or to write about one of the school’s mission components or a desired medical student quality (service to underserved or rural etc) to try and earn extra points but only if you can back it up well with real evidence of your experiences.
Sorry I should clarify, I wasn’t sure how to
interpret it. It’s not that I don’t have a decent answer, just wasn’t sure if it only meant speciality or could be broader as you’ve indicated here.

Sorry I should clarify, I wasn’t sure how to
interpret it. It’s not that I don’t have a decent answer, just wasn’t sure if it only meant speciality or could be broader as you’ve indicated here.
Oh, ok. Yeah, I think it can really be as broad or specific as you want. Working with a specific ethnic population, in a geographic region, with patients with low socioeconomic status, working for a NGO abroad someday even. Or it can be a specialty or subspecialty. The only thing I would avoid is a little too far fetched or complicated idea they might roll their eyes at, ex: “I will be the chief of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins in 20 years”

What are you all adding for question 3? I do not want to leave it completely blank but I’m trying to figure out what else to add besides what I wrote in question 2 already?

What are you all adding for question 3? I do not want to leave it completely blank but I’m trying to figure out what else to add besides what I wrote in question 2 already?
Just a quick question for you and anyone who has already received the secondary - did you all get a separate email for the supplemental application? I have already received the email for the campus selection in early July, but I have not received any others.

Just a quick question for you and anyone who has already received the secondary - did you all get a separate email for the supplemental application? I have already received the email for the campus selection in early July, but I have not received any others.
I got that one, one saying they’d send one out in a few weeks, then a few days ago the secondary

Still have not received the secondary.
Hey homie, I was verified on 7/16, and I sent in the campus choice on, like, 7/10 or so. No secondary here either. Kinda keeps the spirits up to hear I'm not alone. Ill post here when I get it.

I got the campus choice email on 07/02/18 and chose to apply to both the TC and Duluth campuses. I received the secondary for Duluth on 07/10, but have not heard back from TC.

I got the campus choice email on 07/02/18 and chose to apply to both the TC and Duluth campuses. I received the secondary for Duluth on 07/10, but have not heard back from TC.

I also got the campus choice email 7/2, and just received the TC secondary on Thursday 7/26. I think there is always a long delay for them. Hope you hear back soon!

+1