2018-2019 University of Minnesota, Twin Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That was my interview date as well! Im in the same boat as you. I think there is a week of delay for us due to the holidays.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd wait because the end of December was basically holidays, so they might be delayed for a bit.

i interviewed 11/29 and still haven't heard back, so likely to be a few more weeks yet

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Accepted students/current students- where are the best places for med students to live? I know housing around the U fills up quickly so I want to be proactive!
Dinkytown/Como are both full of thrasher houses and undergrads, not where I would choose to live as a medical student but to each their own--these areas are also not as cheap as you'd think unless you're splitting a house up with four or five other people. Stadium village is very expensive again unless you live in a five person apt, and again spilling over with undergrads. If you don't mind a short bus ride, Falcon Heights or anywhere around the St. Paul campus is quieter and generally a bit more affordable. There are even places in uptown that are pretty accessible to campus via express busses (like a 20 min ride) at comparable price points to como/falcon heights.

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure anyone can answer this...anyone have any idea about the relative disadvantage of a phone interview? They just emailed me to say that due to cold weather all interviews on my interview day would be switched to phone interviews. Seems to me that we would have a big disadvantage...

Wanting to know the same... I mean how are they going to compare our interviews to those of other dates, which were all 20 minutes traditionals followed by MMIs? I hope this isn't going to ruin my chances.

All quiet on the decision front..... Maybe the committee is frozen in place?

Does anyone have any advice regarding the scholarship application? The main box asks for a brief list of all academic/curricular/extracurricular/volunteer accomplishments and activities. It seems almost counterintuitive to ask for a brief list if that list must contain a large chunk of my primary application. Any pointers would be appreciated!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

The University is closed until Thursday! So in a way, yes. Edit: Windchills in MN are near -50 for the next two days
Where did you see that it is closed? I know classes are canceled but I thought all other university business was remaining open.

Where did you see that it is closed? I know classes are canceled but I thought all other university business was remaining open.
The whole U is closed from 5pm today until noon Thursday as of this afternoon, only “essential” staff are required to work, so it will be mostly empty. Pretty crazy!

Source: I am a non essential employee lol

Does anyone know if this school is receptive to updates? Specifically letters of intent?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if this school is receptive to updates? Specifically letters of intent?
I believe they are only receptive to application updates from the day you are offered an interview until the day of your interview. I am fairly certain that they do not accept letters of intent at all, but I could be wrong.

Does anyone know if the class is already full? Is there any way to know?

Has anyone received an R from here that hasn’t interviewed?

Complete since summer and nada from admissions.

I emailed admissions on 1/14. The reply I received stated that they were still sending out II at that time. Someone else want to volunteer to write/call and let the rest of us know if there are still II to be had?

Or

[email protected]

Does anyone know if the class is already full? Is there any way to know?
If they are continuing interviews even with several past interviewees still waiting to hear back, I would safely assume the class is not full. In past forums, people get accepted well into the spring.

If they are continuing interviews even with several past interviewees still waiting to hear back, I would safely assume the class is not full. In past forums, people get accepted well into the spring.[/Q
This is the reply I got today "
There are still spots left and invites are still being extended. We also attempt to fill any cancellations we receive, though that is dependent on how much advance notice we get!"

Wanting to know the same... I mean how are they going to compare our interviews to those of other dates, which were all 20 minutes traditionals followed by MMIs? I hope this isn't going to ruin my chances.

After experiencing the over-the-phone, single-interviewer MMI, I feel like some bias was definitely still present since we had the same interviewer for each station. I don’t know how they will account for this.

I believe they are only receptive to application updates from the day you are offered an interview until the day of your interview. I am fairly certain that they do not accept letters of intent at all, but I could be wrong.

Would there be an exception if you were placed on the waitlist?

Would there be an exception if you were placed on the waitlist?

They don't accept updates after your interview day! The waitlist email says "Since the Committee has already reviewed your file, we will be unable to accept any additional materials unless requested."

Just received pre-II R, good luck everyone else!!

Waitlisted today... interviewed early December. Anyone know when they come out with the ranked waitlist?

I joined the waitlist gang! I'm remaining optimistic. I'm just very glad to have received a response after 8 weeks, I can start planning my end to this cycle.

Any tips for interview day? How is the 20 minute conversation like? Thank you!

Hope UMTC comes clutch this month! Though getting accepted here would take more than the Minneapolis Miracle :(

Hey all! I have an interview coming up and I was wondering what advice or tips you may have for the interview! I am a little nervous so any and all advice is welcome :) Thanks!

Anyone know if you can get rejected post interview or is just waitlist and acceptance? Also when do you let you know regarding waitlist rank?

Anyone know if you can get rejected post interview or is just waitlist and acceptance? Also when do you let you know regarding waitlist rank?

You can get accepted, waitlisted, or rejected post-II. They will let you know about your waitlist rank sometime in May.

Last edited:
About how much of the waitlist do they usually end up accepting?

Hey all! I have an interview coming up and I was wondering what advice or tips you may have for the interview! I am a little nervous so any and all advice is welcome :) Thanks!

The 20-minute conversation was relaxing. This is a closed file interview (which took me by surprise when the adcom coordinator mentioned it a few minutes before). The MMI's, of course, have the usual stress, but they try to make the atmosphere collegiate and not super competitive/stressful.

Has anyone received an interview lately? Does anyone know when are they done interviewing?

Got antsy and called admissions today. “More applications than we have ever received, moving a little slow this year, invitations are still going out.”

I interviewed there Dec.14th (still waiting... :/) My best advice in terms of the MMI is NOT to think about past stations if you felt that you performed subpar on one of them. Each station in the MMI is literally a new person who knows nothing about you (you're basically a blank slate with every interviewer). This sounds a little childish, but treat it as a game show, and think of each MMI station as a component of some elaborate event. (For me, it took most of my anxieties away). Hopefully, this helps!

I interviewed there Dec.14th (still waiting... :/) My best advice in terms of the MMI is NOT to think about past stations if you felt that you performed subpar on one of them. Each station in the MMI is literally a new person who knows nothing about you (you're basically a blank slate with every interviewer). This sounds a little childish, but treat it as a game show, and think of each MMI station as a component of some elaborate event. (For me, it took most of my anxieties away). Hopefully, this helps!

Dang I just interviewed here today and they told us we should hear back in 6-8 weeks. So if that time line is correct, hopefully you’ll hear back soon!

got an email yesterday that I have been waitlisted and will hear by May 15th whether I have been accepted, rejected, or placed on the alternate list. I interviewed 01/04. So here is to some more waiting!

got an email yesterday that I have been waitlisted and will hear by May 15th whether I have been accepted, rejected, or placed on the alternate list. I interviewed 01/04. So here is to some more waiting!
^^ same here. Hoping for good news for the both of us by May!