2018-2019 University of Minnesota, Twin Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
dang how you guys getting the R with those stats. Im from the midwest and have been complete for maybe about 3 weeks. guess I'll be R next month

Members don't see this ad.

Also got the R. 3.5/514 IS. What they're looking for every year seems to change. From what I've heard this year it's research publications and/or minority status. The U dropped like 10 spots in the research rankings last year and the research coming out of the U ranges from poor to nonexistent. If you're set on the Minneapolis there's always residency. The residency programs definitely favor Minnesota people and none of them are all the competitive so there's that.
Interesting. I got an II and have very weak research and I'm not a minority. They definitely place a huge emphasis on diversity though

Got the R last night as well. I am so disappointed because I have LM 77 and was really really hoping to stay in state at my alma mater. I have no clue where I went wrong but good luck to everybody else!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it still worth submitting secondary here?
The secondary is pretty long, so it's up to you. I figure that if you don't submit it, you never had a chance in the first place! Shoot your shots if you have the time and money.

Plus they sent out secondaries pretty late, too. Though they recommend the secondary is submitted within two weeks of you receiving it, you will probably be tossed in with everyone else.

For those who have interviewed, is note taking allowed during the MMI?

Reactions: 1 user
For those who have interviewed, is note taking allowed during the MMI?
They actually provide a pen and scratch paper for interviewees as well, you can even bring your own portfolio if that would be easier for you (it was for me!).

Got an II today! LM70-72. IS and non-trad. Super excited!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity, does anyone here have any insight into about what percentage of first round II candidates generally receive acceptances vs wait-list vs rejections? I know overall for IS interviewees is ~40%, but with rolling admissions I'd expect that number to be a bit higher the earlier you're invited to interview. I know I should just wait a week to find out but the pressure is really starting to get to me. Any insight would be appreciated!

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here have any insight into about what percentage of first round II candidates generally receive acceptances vs wait-list vs rejections? I know overall for IS interviewees is ~40%, but with rolling admissions I'd expect that number to be a bit higher the earlier you're invited to interview. I know I should just wait a week to find out but the pressure is really starting to get to me. Any insight would be appreciated!
Same here, I would love to know. Only one more week!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Same here, I would love to know. Only one more week!!

Are they starting with decisions on 10/15? I interviewed on 09/21 and they were kind of vague about when we would hear. I'm so much more nervous to hear from here than anywhere else. Good luck everyone!

Are they starting with decisions on 10/15? I interviewed on 09/21 and they were kind of vague about when we would hear. I'm so much more nervous to hear from here than anywhere else. Good luck everyone!
I interviewed 09/07 and they said that we had to wait until 10/15, so I'm pretty that's when we'll hear back. Last yr people heard around that time as well.

I interviewed on 9/21 as well, and the way I remember it being stated is that we will most likely hear back on 10/15, but some of us might not hear back until the end of October. I am mostly curious about how many acceptances they award for the first round of II candidates (first month of interviews). I have read that for some places if you interview early, all you need to do is not make a fool of yourself in your interview to get in. I feel as though that's likely a huge exaggeration, but one can dream right?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed on 9/21 as well, and the way I remember it being stated is that we will most likely hear back on 10/15, but some of us might not hear back until the end of October. I am mostly curious about how many acceptances they award for the first round of II candidates (first month of interviews). I have read that for some places if you interview early, all you need to do is not make a fool of yourself in your interview to get in. I feel as though that's likely a huge exaggeration, but one can dream right?

I am dreaming as well! I assume they can't give all acceptances on the same day since that is a lot of phone calls. I guess since they were kind of slow throughout the secondary/II process I'm not holding my breath for 10/15. I know they said they weren't sure how the new traffic rules would affect the number of outright acceptances, but I am anticipating a lot of waitlists here like everywhere else.

I am dreaming as well! I assume they can't give all acceptances on the same day since that is a lot of phone calls. I guess since they were kind of slow throughout the secondary/II process I'm not holding my breath for 10/15. I know they said they weren't sure how the new traffic rules would affect the number of outright acceptances, but I am anticipating a lot of waitlists here like everywhere else.
What do you mean by the new traffic rules?

What do you mean by the new traffic rules?

In the spring schools will no longer be able to see the multiple acceptance report which affects their ability to predict yield. Someone at my interview day asked about it and they said they didn't think it would have a large effect but other schools seem pretty worried about it so it's hard to say

Did people receive "complete" emails after submitting their secondary application? All three checkboxes on my portal are checked (app status, fee status, letter of rec status) but I technically never received a complete email after submitting everything and paying. Thanks

In the spring schools will no longer be able to see the multiple acceptance report which affects their ability to predict yield. Someone at my interview day asked about it and they said they didn't think it would have a large effect but other schools seem pretty worried about it so it's hard to say
I had no idea. Thanks for the info and best of luck to you!

Did people receive "complete" emails after submitting their secondary application? All three checkboxes on my portal are checked (app status, fee status, letter of rec status) but I technically never received a complete email after submitting everything and paying. Thanks
I never received a complete email and interviewed last month. If you have all 3 check marks you should be fine, but you can always give admissions a call. They are extremely nice and helpful at both campuses.

Anyone interviewed here for MSTP or heard something? I was complete late 08/29 which is the date that I received their secondary and still nothing!

Anyone interviewed here for MSTP or heard something? I was complete late 08/29 which is the date that I received their secondary and still nothing!

Also completed the MSTP secondary....radio silence

Question for those who have interviewed: In your portal, do you see a 4th check mark showing that you had an interview or have one scheduled? My Duluth portal does, but not my Twin Cities one, and I interviewed in September. Thanks!

Question for those who have interviewed: In your portal, do you see a 4th check mark showing that you had an interview or have one scheduled? My Duluth portal does, but not my Twin Cities one, and I interviewed in September. Thanks!
My TC portal never showed that I had an interview, just interviewed last week and it still doesn't show up. I wouldn't worry about it.

Well, it's halfway through October 15th. Anybody? Anybody? Bueller?

Edit: *chirp chirp chirp*...well, no news is good news!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Accepted!!! Felt even more unreal than I expected! IS, LM 69, interviewed 9/7!

ACCEPTED TO MY TOP CHOICE!!! Ahhhhh i’m crying. I interviewed 9/7 & missed the call because I was taking a test but i’m fine it’s fine.

Reactions: 3 users
+1 here. Maybe all the acceptances thus far are 9/7 interviews?
I would guess making all those phone calls takes a while and they're probably going in order of interview day so I'm sure you'll hear something soon!

Reactions: 1 users
+2 interviewed on 9/11. We'll probably hear from them soon

Interviewed 9/21 and crossing my fingers for an answer this week! At my interview day, they said that we would likely find out this week, but then also said that we'd probably be waiting longer than average (kind of contradictory). We will see I guess!

*sniff* Y'all uh... *sniff*. Y'all got any more of them interview invites?

Just got a phone call, accepted!! Interviewed 9/13

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted! Interviewed 9/21, pretty shocked to hear so soon!

Reactions: 2 users