2018-2019 University of Missouri - Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else planning on writing a why mizzou essay for the first prompt
Ya from how I read it, they want you at the very least to address why mizzou, but also left flexibility in the prompt so you can add in "anything else you want us to know" type answers if you want

Members don't see this ad.

OSS student! Finally got my secondary! Super pumped!

Reactions: 1 user
Just got the denial for OOS secondary. 3.8 sGPA from top undergrad university, 517 MCAT, decent ties to Missouri. So either I didn't have enough research or not strong enough ties to Missouri.

Best of luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the denial for OOS secondary. 3.8 sGPA from top undergrad university, 517 MCAT, decent ties to Missouri. So either I didn't have enough research or not strong enough ties to Missouri.

Hmmmmm...

There's a good chance you were yield protected too

What does that mean?
Schools will reject people that have stats far above their averages due to the high chance they will be accepted somewhere more prestigious and turn down the acceptance (which hurts their yield rate). State schools are especially notorious for this if you can't show strong state ties

Schools will reject people that have stats far above their averages due to the high chance they will be accepted somewhere more prestigious and turn down the acceptance (which hurts their yield rate). State schools are especially notorious for this if you can't show strong state ties
That makes sense

Does anyone know when they start sending interview request to non-early applicants?

Thoughts on how to refer to the school in my essays? I'm inclined to say mizzou, since it's such second nature, but their website mostly says MU or University of Missouri SOM. This is certainly more professional, but it also feels strained and unfamiliar.

Thoughts on how to refer to the school in my essays? I'm inclined to say mizzou, since it's such second nature, but their website mostly says MU or University of Missouri SOM. This is certainly more professional, but it also feels strained and unfamiliar.
I said Mizzou. I also said it last year and I still got an II so don't stress about it too much

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey folks,
I was wondering how long until you received your secondary application. My Primary was approved early last week, so I just wanted to get a feel for when it might roll in.

Thanks!

Hey folks,
I was wondering how long until you received your secondary application. My Primary was approved early last week, so I just wanted to get a feel for when it might roll in.

Thanks!
I'm IS and I received it the next business day. OOS might be on a different schedule though!

Who else is OOS here? Also what was everyone's major? I was a Neuroscience and Mathematics major!

For those applying, study the PBL format. Since this is central to MU’s curriculum they need to know that you will be a good fit for this form of learning. You want to persuade them :) have a great day!

Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted to get some opinions on my chances of an acceptance here. This is the only school I really want to go to and I fit the mission statement for the school very well. I submitted my primary Aug 1st, secondary is pre written and ready to submit upon reception. 3.6cgpa, 3.5sgpa, upward trend 3.9 last 100 credits, 516 mcat. In state, white male. Strong past healthcare work experiences in rural areas, strong nonclinical volunteering, no research. Any current students have any experience/success with submitting late?
Not a current student, but sounds like a solid app as an IS student and I think you have a really high chance of interviewing! You would still likely be complete in the first half of September, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Has anyone received a complete email? My portal says I've turned in the secondary, but I can't find a status page showing if they have received my LORs and secondary fee check.

Has anyone received a complete email? My portal says I've turned in the secondary, but I can't find a status page showing if they have received my LORs and secondary fee check.
Once they receive your payment through the mail they will send an update email.

I did

Looking at last years thread, I saw that most people got calls for II that began early-mid September. Do they only call or do they also send an email or only call? I am concerned because I will be out of the country for a week and a half mid September and I definitely won't have reliable cell service. Also, only calling seems like it'd be a hit or miss whether people would actually answer/be available. :thinking::shrug:

I've only gotten calls, but they will leave a voicemail if you don't pick up.

I'm IS and I received it the next business day. OOS might be on a different schedule though!
Dang what the heck? My AMCAS was ready for review on 8/20 and I still haven't gotten a secondary.

Also, any opinions on my chances? Mizzou undergrad, from a rural area with rural shadowing, volunteer experience at MU hospital, strong LORs, 2 years of research. Both cGPA and sGPA are 3.7 MCAT 502-506

Last edited:
Dang what the heck? My AMCAS was ready for review on 8/20 and I still haven't gotten a secondary.

Also, any opinions on my chances? Mizzou undergrad, from a rural area with rural shadowing, volunteer experience at MU hospital, strong LORs, 2 years of research. Both cGPA and sGPA are 7.0. MCAT 502-506
Damn. That's one hell of a GPA.

Looking at last years thread, I saw that most people got calls for II that began early-mid September. Do they only call or do they also send an email or only call? I am concerned because I will be out of the country for a week and a half mid September and I definitely won't have reliable cell service. Also, only calling seems like it'd be a hit or miss whether people would actually answer/be available. :thinking::shrug:
They'll call you and you set up an interview date afterwhich you'll get the email for it. They'll leave a voicemail either way

Also, any opinions on my chances? Mizzou undergrad, from a rural area with rural shadowing, volunteer experience at MU hospital, strong LORs, 2 years of research. Both cGPA and sGPA are 3.7 MCAT 502-506

Ready for review doesn't mean verified. You have to wait until AMCAS verifies you and considering you were ready for review on 8/20...it will probably be another month until you are verified and begin receiving secondaries. GPA and experiences/Mizzou ties are good, MCAT slightly low but not unreasonable. Worth a shot! What do you have to lose?

Ready for review doesn't mean verified. You have to wait until AMCAS verifies you and considering you were ready for review on 8/20...it will probably be another month until you are verified and begin receiving secondaries. GPA and experiences/Mizzou ties are good, MCAT slightly low but not unreasonable. Worth a shot! What do you have to lose?
I worded that incorrectly. My AMCAS was verified on 8/20, so Mizzou got it on that day.

Mizzou admissions lives in the stone age

I have only received an OOS form, is this considered the secondary?
It’s not. I got one too and after submitting took them about 2-3 weeks to send me the real secondary. I’m guessing they screen it to determine if you’d stand a chance? Guess that’s why it takes a while

I have only received an OOS form, is this considered the secondary?
It is a screen since you are out of state. They want to see if you have any ties to the state, and what other aspects you bring as a prospective student. Mine was approved within 2 days, and I got my secondary that same day.

It is a screen since you are out of state. They want to see if you have any ties to the state, and what other aspects you bring as a prospective student. Mine was approved within 2 days, and I got my secondary that same day.
So after they approve the OOS form, they send you a secondary? Damn, I thought the OOS was it.

Radio silence on this thread! I do not even know when they start calling and/or sending e-mails. They may have already begun.

Radio silence on this thread! I do not even know when they start calling and/or sending e-mails. They may have already begun.

Last cycle I think it was late September

Makes sense .. my complete email says they interview from October through February so I guess they’d start sending II’s mid to late September?

M2 here, fire off questions if you got them. Always looking to add some good folks to the Mizzou Med :)

Hello! So I am a URM applying to Mizzou. I was just wondering how the campus is regarding diversity and inclusion. I’m very interested in the university and hope that this won’t be an issue if I go through the process and get accepted and matriculate. Thanks!

Hello! So I am a URM applying to Mizzou. I was just wondering how the campus is regarding diversity and inclusion. I’m very interested in the university and hope that this won’t be an issue if I go through the process and get accepted and matriculate. Thanks!
I’m an M1 and I think we have the most diverse MU class to date! I love the diversity here and do not think you will have any issues :)

II by phone. First Interview date is October 2. Monday-Wednesday for the year, again. IS, LizzyM 68.5. Marked complete on 7/24.

Reactions: 5 users
mizzou just called! I like getting a phone call! More personal than an email! II, IS, LM 79. Eeeeeep!

II today as well, IS, complete 8/6, first date available was 10/10

Reactions: 2 users