2018-2019 University of Missouri - Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So someone above, I think bubblepop, posted that at their January interview they said they were scheduling interviews until the last week of February. I’m hoping this is the case. I interviewed in November. The wait is killing me. Lol
Hi, adding an obligatory status unchanged! That definitely was the case at least at the time of my interview, and they clearly said their goal is to have all decisions out by the first week of March. Wait is killer, but I feel like I can't complain because it's only been less than a month for me :coffee:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, adding an obligatory status unchanged! That definitely was the case at least at the time of my interview, and they clearly said their goal is to have all decisions out by the first week of March. Wait is killer, but I feel like I can't complain because it's only been less than a month for me :coffee:

The wait does suck. What makes it worse is that my wife is finishing her residency and needs to start looking for jobs, but she doesn’t want to until I hear back from Mizzou. The worst part is that there are currently great opportunities for her in the city of my second choice, which I’ve been accepted to, but she doesn’t want to reach out yet. But this is fine. Lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted today! Interviewed 10/15 and I am IS. I sent them back an email shortly after politely declining this offer. Mizzou is an awesome school with a top notch PBL curriculum, but I have my heart set on another school and location. I hope they immediately give this spot to one of yall! Best wishes.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted today! Interviewed 10/15 and I am IS. I sent them back an email shortly after politely declining this offer. Mizzou is an awesome school with a top notch PBL curriculum, but I have my heart set on another school and location. I hope they immediately give this spot to one of yall! Best wishes.

From all of us waiting, thank you for not hoarding acceptances. Best of luck with all of your future endeavors!

Congrats!! Accepted via email?

From all of us waiting, thank you for not hoarding acceptances. Best of luck with all of your future endeavors!
I am all too aware of how stressful this process is and I would rather hopefully alleviate that anxiety for someone else than selfishly hold onto an acceptance. I wish you the best as well! I cant believe it's almost February in this long app cycle... March will be here soon! Best of luck to everyone still waiting. You got this!!

Rejected yesterday, interviewed mid-October. I knew it was coming bc my interview was horrendous so I'm grateful not to be strung along until March

Rejected yesterday, interviewed mid-October. I knew it was coming bc my interview was horrendous so I'm grateful not to be strung along until March

I’m sorry to hear this. :( I hope you had an otherwise successful cycle!

If they didn’t reject you earlier doesn’t that mean your interivew wasn’t as bad as you thought?

So disappointed to get a rejection to my home state school. Interviewed 12/18, 523 MCAT, 3.98 sgpa, 3.45 cgpa (a few bad grades freshman year followed by 4 yrs @ 4.0). I really liked this program and was hoping to attend school near my home with strong family support. I’m not sure what else I could have done to be accepted here so this was a truly disappointing result. I guess if it’s not meant to be it’s not meant to be. Good luck to those of you still in the running!

So disappointed to get a rejection to my home state school. Interviewed 12/18, 523 MCAT, 3.98 sgpa, 3.45 cgpa (a few bad grades freshman year followed by 4 yrs @ 4.0). I really liked this program and was hoping to attend school near my home with strong family support. I’m not sure what else I could have done to be accepted here so this was a truly disappointing result. I guess if it’s not meant to be it’s not meant to be. Good luck to those of you still in the running!

Woah this is scary. I don’t think I’ve ever seen this many people get rejected post II

Members don't see this ad :)

If you are IS for Colorado (based off your other post) I assume that means you're OOS for Missouri...which sheds a little bit of light on things as Mizzou is very IS biased (statistically). But still, you're a great applicant on paper, so assuming your LORs/ECs/PS/Interview didn't red flag, I see no reasonable cause for you to get a rejection so early, even with being OOS. I wish you the best, and sorry things didn't work out.

Woah this is scary. I don’t think I’ve ever seen this many people get rejected post II

Yeah, this is definitely odd. Either students just didn't report it in previous years/threads (which is definitely possible) or it's something new this year? The waiting sucks, but I guess every day I don't have an R from Mizzou is only good news.

If you are IS for Colorado (based off your other post) I assume that means you're OOS for Missouri...which sheds a little bit of light on things as Mizzou is very IS biased (statistically). But still, you're a great applicant on paper, so assuming your LORs/ECs/PS/Interview didn't red flag, I see no reasonable cause for you to get a rejection so early, even with being OOS. I wish you the best, and sorry things didn't work out.

You are correct that I am OOS for MU, but I do have strong state ties (born and raised in MO, attended MU during UG and graduated from Columbia College, all family still in central MO, etc) and have only been in CO a few years. My EC’s are probably on the lower end (I work a full time M-F job as well as part-time side jobs which has made it exceptionally difficult to get shadowing hours that work with my schedule so I’m on the lower end there). I also have some volunteering (clinical ~120 hrs @ VA ER, ~50 hrs non-clinical, 700 hrs of research, several academic honors, awards, etc). I received a lot of positive feedback on my PS and secondary essays from both physician friends and others I had look over them. My LOR’s were very strong based on the feedback from the letter writers so I don’t think that was the issue.

As far as the interview, I didn’t feel that they went great as they felt somewhat hostile/aggressive but I felt that I handled them well. As a non-trad I have had many professional interviews and felt well prepared and comfortable with that part of the process. I had great feedback from mock-interviews I did and felt that my performance in the real interview was similar. I guess my perception could be off here and the interview may have been the issue but I’m really not sure. All in all I thought I would at least be waitlisted so I was surprised and disappointed to get the R after a month without even making it to the March decision. I guess it just wasn’t meant to be though, so I’m still holding out hope for one of the last interviews from CU or SLU. Regardless, best of luck to those of you still waiting on a decision!

Last edited:
Unfortunately, while state ties can help, applying as oos is still applying as oos, and hurts you significantly, as you're competing for a much smaller number of seats with what I believe is a more competitive population. This, combined with the fact that mizzou hardly considers stats post-interview, meant you were at a strong disadvantage that is not so apparent when looking at your overall strength as an applicant. I hope you have better luck elsewhere, but if not, consider trying to move IS and upping your clinical and non-clinical hours before re-applying. I'd bet you'd have a great shot at mizzou if you did that.

Anybody who's accepted feel like sharing Mizzou's "school specific matriculation requirements?" Just curious as I know every school is approaching this new Plan to Enroll/Commit to Enroll thing differently, and wasn't sure if Mizzou put out anything.

Anybody who's accepted feel like sharing Mizzou's "school specific matriculation requirements?" Just curious as I know every school is approaching this new Plan to Enroll/Commit to Enroll thing differently, and wasn't sure if Mizzou put out anything.

From what I have received so far it consists of mailing in a $100 deposit check, signing the clinical campus assignment sheet, background check (completed online), and a urinalysis (don’t know when or where), also a few other forms. That’s all I have got so far.

Wanted to give you folks a little heads up: Second look day will be March 15-16th. If you guys have been accepted (even if you are 100% set on going here) and are able to make it, I'd highly recommend coming. It's a fun couple days with some free food and a chance to get a sneak peak at what life here is like.

Also, to those who didn't make it this year: don't give up hope. If you're goal is to be a physician you can achieve that, it might just be that Mizzou isn't the place that is going to happen. From personal experience I know how much that can sting. Do consider contacting admissions and seeing if they will talk to you about your performance. I'm not sure how receptive Kevin is to that but I was able to speak with the admissions director 3 years ago when I didn't get in the first time. That conversation is what gave me the motivation to apply again.

Mizzou (all schools really) looks fondly upon persistence. Take a good hard look at your application. Ask your science professors and counselors to look at it. See what your weaknesses might be and then do your best to fix them. Schools (especially a PBL school like Mizzou) want to know that students can be self-directed, can identify their deficits and fix them.

Good luck to all.

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone think that we will get final acceptance/waitlist email this Friday? I know that last year the email was sent out on 3/1.

Anyone think that we will get final acceptance/waitlist email this Friday? I know that last year the email was sent out on 3/1.

I’m thinking Thursday. All correspondences have been on the last Thursday of the month and last year March 1st was a Thursday. Does anyone who has interviewed recently know if this is the last week of interviews?

I interviewed a few weeks ago and Kevin told us that everyone will be notified of their status on March 1st

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted. Words can't express how relieved I am. Good luck to all, keep your chin up.

R today. I'm a little bummed being IS but have been accepted to my top choice so I can't complain. Good luck to you all!

Rejected. That’s okay. I got into my number 2 choice and there are SIGNIFICANTLY better job opportunities for my wife there. Good luck, everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
A. congrats to the others, and if you're WL keep your chin up!

R today. IS LM 80+, interviewed in November. Thought the interview went really well but :shrug:. As I say to all the R's, your loss Mizzou ;). Best of luck to the rest of y'all.

Reactions: 3 users
Alternate list. Are we still able to call and ask for which third we are in? Has anyone done this yet?

R here this morning as well, IS and thought this interview went well. Ah well, such is the way of application season. Good luck to everyone else hearing back today!

Got an R as well. Kinda surprised that this many of us were rejected post II. Ended up with a stress interview that I didn’t think went well so I guess I shouldn’t have been suprised. Oh well. Congrats to all who got in!

Waitlisted again this cycle, but got into another program that’s better for me personally earlier this week, so I’m not very upset

Got an R as well, IS applicant. Thought the interview went well so I’m pretty bummed :(

Alternate list for me. I'm not sure if we can email back to see which part of the list we are on.

I know that the release today might have been bittersweet but stay strong you all :) A large percentage of my class is from the waitlist! There is still hope.

Accepted!!!!!!!!! I checked my email like 3 times because I had 3 dreams of acceptance and white coat ceremony. Then I rechecked the email on my computer because in the dream I am always checking on my phone. Totally an Inception moment there haha.

Chin up to people on the waitlist!

Reactions: 3 users
I was accepted yesterday but went ahead and declined/withdrew my acceptance because I know that Mizzou (while a wonderful school) is not the place for me to learn and grow over the next four years. Hoping the spot goes to one of you guys and I wish the best of luck to everyone in this process :)

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted! I was on a plane when the email arrived. Too cheap to buy in-flight wifi so found out when I landed! As someome who had had zero IIs by Thanksgiving and interviewed in January, I am in complete disbelief.

Congrats to those who made it and good going forward to those who didn't get it this time. Stay persistent and you can make it.

Hope to see some of you folks at 2nd Look Day!

Does admission's here send out acceptances to those on the waitlist right when a spot opens up? Anyone have an idea of how much waitlist movement there is before April 30th?

Does admission's here send out acceptances to those on the waitlist right when a spot opens up? Anyone have an idea of how much waitlist movement there is before April 30th?
Hey there, at the time of my interview, that is exactly how it seemed. They have a ranked waitlist, so I assume they just would accept the next person on the list (IS for an IS withdrawal, OOS for an OOS withdrawal). For Mizzou last year, majority of movement occurred prior to April 30th with minimal movement thereafter. This year might be different though due to the removal of the multiple-acceptance report.

if you don't mind sharing, are any of you OOS applicants put on the first third of the waitlist?

Last edited: