2018-2019 University of Nevada-Las Vegas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was looking at the sheet they gave us at our interviews and it said something like 108 IS, 12 OOS for the past two classes. We've been hoodwinked. I doubt we had a legitimate chance at acceptance.

And I believe that those 12 basically had to have significant ties like past residence or close family to be accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I heard the same thing at the end of my interview on 12/7. They asked us to shoot a quick email letting them know of our intent after the interview. I sent mine in the car in the parking lot, and they replied right away saying they would add it to my file.
No news yet.

I interviewed 10/19. Sent a letter of interest last week. No news.

Does it bother anyone else that they don’t use any cadavers? Any current students on here that can speak to pros and cons of the virtual anatomy tables?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
And I believe that those 12 basically had to have significant ties like past residence or close family to be accepted.

Which is funny because myself and several others I talked to at my interview had zero ties whatsoever.

Does it bother anyone else that they don’t use any cadavers? Any current students on here that can speak to pros and cons of the virtual anatomy tables?

I discussed that at length with several people. There are pros and cons. However, the biggest thing to note is I was told they do offer an option to take part in a cadaver lab during clinical rotations for any who want it. They specifically mentioned those interested in surgery, but it didn't seem limited.

I discussed that at length with several people. There are pros and cons. However, the biggest thing to note is I was told they do offer an option to take part in a cadaver lab during clinical rotations for any who want it. They specifically mentioned those interested in surgery, but it didn't seem limited.
Hmmm that wasn’t mentioned when I interviewed. I’m still a little hesitant about it. However, I am OOS so I won’t even begin to worry about it unless I’m one of the super lucky few

Any acceptances recently?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Silent for me, but I’m OOS so I don’t expect a call realistically haha

For accepted students, did you send emails of intent prior to acceptance? At my interview I was told that post-interview communication was unnecessary, but it seems like other interviewees heard otherwise. Has anyone contacted the admissions office to clear this up?

I contacted them last week. They said they are accepting letters of interest but as we were informed at the interview are not accepting updates or thank yous.
For accepted students, did you send emails of intent prior to acceptance? At my interview I was told that post-interview communication was unnecessary, but it seems like other interviewees heard otherwise. Has anyone contacted the admissions office to clear this up?

Anyone know if they're still sending IIs or is it safe to assume they're done at this point?

How do you send the letter of interest? Through the portal or by email?

Trying to stay positive but I haven’t heard any word since my interview over three months ago.. any OS applicants accepted from 10/12 or later?

Is today the last day for interviews? I remember seeing 2/8 as an available interview date, but nothing after that.

Current student. The biggest pro is the time saved. You're not wasting time spending hours dissecting a cadaver so you can see a random facet of the femur. And because we are tested via the biweekly NBME questions, you only have to learn the clinically important aspects of anatomy, not all of the random minutiae. Some may argue this is an incomplete education, but I have no lost love. It seems that people that do surgery say cadavers are very different than people, so time spent dissecting is not very valuable. However, I have heard people say the cadavers are nice for the 3d orientation within the body, which we obviously don't have.

One note on the dissection lab during clinicals: that was told to us initally. I haven't really anything about that since so I hope it's still true for those other students interested in it but, again, I haven't heard anything since.

Random note for OOS: this is me talking out of my ass, but I don't know if UNLV has reached its equilibrium with how many OOS students it takes per year. There have only been 2 state schools for a couple of years. I think there was an initial "backlog" of IS students that they were able to draw from, but I think that will decrease. Idk what that will equilibrate at, but more OOS were accepted the second year than the first and I wouldn't be surprised if more are accepted this year

Last edited:
I think Pushmonkey720 might work for the NSA... Tapping phones

Reactions: 3 users
Ironically I watched the move "He's Just Not That Into You" last night and it reminded me of UNLV and their refusal to call me.

Reactions: 5 users
Someone should call or email to ask if they are done with acceptances for this month. I have emailed the last two months and I feel like I am a nuisance to them now, lol.

Reactions: 4 users
Someone should call or email to ask if they are done with acceptances for this month. I have emailed the last two months and I feel like I am a nuisance to them now, lol.
What have they said in the past?

What have they said in the past?
I was told that they would meet the middle of February and make calls the following week. March is also the last month they will be discussing apps.

what does that mean for us?
If I had to guess I would say they're going to make 1 or 2 more rounds of acceptances at the end of this month and early/mid March as they go back through our apps and try to fill out any remaining spots, determine who gets on the waitlist, and figure out those who are unfortunately rejected.

Has anybody from OOS gotten accepted this cycle yet?
Received a call this morning from Dr. Parrish. I interviewed on Feb 1st and am a California resident with strong ties to Las Vegas. I hope this is some form of encouragement for those OOS applicants!

Received a call this morning from Dr. Parrish. I interviewed on Feb 1st and am a California resident with strong ties to Las Vegas. I hope this is some form of encouragement for those OOS applicants!
Congrats! What are your strong ties if you don't mind answering?