2018-2019 University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNECOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Replying to a few people:

-The new New York sites are in Syracuse (sorry, I don't know which hospital, that info hasn't found me yet) and Southampton.
-The important thing to realize about the clinical campuses is that your third year rotations will not have THAT big an impact on your entire career, but you definitely want to see as much as you can. I've never heard of anyone coming back from a rotation site and saying "yeah I got nothing out of that", the beauty of the selection process we use (and, unfortunately, many of the current second years will not be able to use from the looks of it because of this attendance issue) is that you can kind of pick a site that best correlates to you. My personal opinion was that a greater population center would give me a greater diversity of cases, so I ranked Rhode Island, Newark, and Springfield pretty high. But I also liked the locations of our Manchester, CT and Lewiston, ME sites because of their proximities to other large sites (Springfield and Bangor, respectively). Newark is kind of on an island, with Reading like two hours away being the closest spot, but as I said before, it's without question the best location if you like the idea of being near one of the biggest cities in the world. So each site has its own benefits, they all provide good clinical experiences (that's why we have overlooked some sites closer to school and picked others further away), and ultimately it's your fourth year when you will really start building up experience in the specialty of your choice. I just haven't heard enough bad stuff about any clinical site to feel confident in weighing them against each other, so it's easier to just give my perspective in the moment about the entire experience for the whole class.

Congrats to those who found out they were accepted today!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Replying to a few people:

-The new New York sites are in Syracuse (sorry, I don't know which hospital, that info hasn't found me yet) and Southampton.
-The important thing to realize about the clinical campuses is that your third year rotations will not have THAT big an impact on your entire career, but you definitely want to see as much as you can. I've never heard of anyone coming back from a rotation site and saying "yeah I got nothing out of that", the beauty of the selection process we use (and, unfortunately, many of the current second years will not be able to use from the looks of it because of this attendance issue) is that you can kind of pick a site that best correlates to you. My personal opinion was that a greater population center would give me a greater diversity of cases, so I ranked Rhode Island, Newark, and Springfield pretty high. But I also liked the locations of our Manchester, CT and Lewiston, ME sites because of their proximities to other large sites (Springfield and Bangor, respectively). Newark is kind of on an island, with Reading like two hours away being the closest spot, but as I said before, it's without question the best location if you like the idea of being near one of the biggest cities in the world. So each site has its own benefits, they all provide good clinical experiences (that's why we have overlooked some sites closer to school and picked others further away), and ultimately it's your fourth year when you will really start building up experience in the specialty of your choice. I just haven't heard enough bad stuff about any clinical site to feel confident in weighing them against each other, so it's easier to just give my perspective in the moment about the entire experience for the whole class.

Congrats to those who found out they were accepted today!
So from my understanding you can potentially live away from Maine for two whole years? For example, if you get third year rotations in Newark would you be there the entire year? Do you have to go to campus often? How does this work? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
So from my understanding you can potentially live away from Maine for two whole years? For example, if you get third year rotations in Newark would you be there the entire year? Do you have to go to campus often? How does this work? Thanks!

You're exactly right. The only reason you would return to Maine if you were in Newark, for example, would be for the currently optional (I believe it will be required next year and beyond) COMLEX-PE practice, which is a one-day event the school puts on to let you do a mock practical exam before one of the two parts of your Level 2. Otherwise you have no requirement to go back to the school unless you have an engagement of some kind there, which people do (present research, meet with faculty for projects and whatnot, conferences, etc.). 4th year you may have your required OMM rotation there, but you can also have it elsewhere, it's partially up to you. But yes, in theory you could spend no more than 2 days in a two-year span on campus (unless you count Senior Week, which is the week of graduation when you have to come back for a bunch of graduation-related stuff, but by that point you're completely checked out and it's more of a class reunion with a lot of sitting around and waiting for administrators to talk at you, just like high school graduation)

Members don't see this ad :)
Can a current med student PM me about costs? Curious about financial aid. Wondering what the average amt. they give is since its 59K a year. Website said around 28k in aid but hoping its more. Also wanted to know more about the 5th year fellowship and how that works in the financial equation. Thanks

Can a current med student PM me about costs? Curious about financial aid. Wondering what the average amt. they give is since its 59K a year. Website said around 28k in aid but hoping its more. Also wanted to know more about the 5th year fellowship and how that works in the financial equation. Thanks

59k was the cost for last year (as stated on website). They're still determining the COA for next year and it normally rises ~2-5%, so probably looking closer to ~61k for next year.

Just put my deposit down. To say I'm excited would be an understatement!

Reactions: 6 users
Can any current student(s) provide insight on total living expenses in Maine, including shelter, food, etc? Not exactly asking for your personal financial expenses but generally from your understanding of the situation of fellow classmates.

Ruh roh. Start taking screenshots, kids.
These people need to google "Streisand effect" and "parade of horribles."

Attachments

• email.png
    email.png
    542.9 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
I didn't want to make an account but I'll post my two cents here. Is literally everything about the school awful? No, but the bad far outweighs the good and more importantly the directions its heading appears to be for the worse, not better.
The good: We have a few outstanding faculty members. One of our OCS directors is a renowned anatomist (neuro in particular, but he knows his stuff all around), and the faculty is really knowledgable in the anatomy lab in general. Among others is a former cardiothoracic surgeon, so obviously anything involving that area he knows backwards and forwards. He's a sweet oldder gentleman, kinda everyone's grandpa here. Sadly he's really getting up there in age and will likely be leaving the school soon, so bear that in mind. We also have a brilliant cardiologist on staff, so he's good to have around when it comes to that area (they're all generally knowledgeable too, but each has their area of expertise). Anatomy program is nice and long, you'll probably be better prepared in that area than most other schools, but even that needs some dramatic reworking (see below). They also give you lots of opportunities to review things on the OCS side so you can practice/refresh your memory before exams. They do this with OMK too but to a lesser degree. Some schools just say "ok take the test now!" but throwing that in is much appreciated.
The following is mixed, could be good/bad depending on how you see it. We spend a LOT of time on clinical skills/OMM, higher than most other DO schools. If primary care and/or OMM is your jam, you'll dig it. The overwhelming majority of our medical faculty on the OCS side come from primary care and OMM so there's that too. Unfortunately if you don't plan on using OMM (and let's be honest, most of us won't) it's reeeeeal time sink when you could be studying for other stuff. Make no mistake, your Step 1/COMLEX 1 is what you're working toward your first 2 years (the Dean even said so herself), so anything that takes away your time to study for that can really hinder you.

Onto the bad.
A lot of this falls into the category "we're not being well-prepared for boards." Yeah, the school loves to tout their stats, but keep in mind what Mark Twain (supposedly) said about statistics. Students generally do well on the boards (I stress GENERALLY) in spite of the school and not because of it. How do I mean?
A lot of our professors are baaaaaaaaad. I don't just mean not great, I mean "how on earth do you still have a job?" bad. Even a cursory glance at boards resources show we're being stressed details that are fairly into the weeds and inconsequential and leaving out parts that we definitely need to know but weren't taught. Internal politics plays a big role in a lot of things- one of our worst profs is tenured and no one can really do anything about it. Administration generally takes a hands-off approach and leaves things in the hands of the course directors who come and go, and things from past course directors stick even when they're terrible ideas.
Case in point: concept mapping. They introduced this newfangled highfalutin' software program where you're given a list of terms with a scenario and have to map them all out with how they fit together several years ago.
<insert Donald Trump "sounds good, doesn't work" gif>
We do this 2 hours every week (sometimes the day before a big test) and it's a giant waste of your limited time on this earth. It doesn't help me learn at all and I haven't met anyone who says it does. We'd be better off having that time free, but the higher-ups seem to think giving us something to do is better than just (god forbid) letting us study on our own.
Keeping with the theme, we often have something called a CPC 1-3 times a month that aims to foster "professional development" or something like that. Once again sounds good, doesn't work.
These are some of the dumbest things I've ever seen in my life. "People age as they get older, write a paper on where you think you will be in ten years." Again, 2 hours I'll never get back. There's only been one or two of them that have actually been worth my time, on the whole the entire thing just eats at your study time (or time to do whatever else). So why do we still do it? It's spear-headed by a big-name geriatrician who holds a lot of clout at UNE and no one dares mess with her baby, even when it does far more harm than the good it aims to on paper (noticing a theme here?)
Another time-waster: team case challenges, somewhat similar to the cmapping. 2 hours a week you sit with your CBL group in our lecture hall and go over various cases with the goal of integrating concepts you've learned. This seems to be the least hated out of what I've just described, but I've met plenty of people other than myself who would still be better off without it. At the very least this should be optional.
So far we're at up to 6 hours a week of pointless time-wasting activities. Without them I'd have better grades, better able to prepare for boards, and overall happier and healthier. Think the school cares? Nah, they love advertising "we have programs XYZ, look at how innovative we are!" with no regard for how it actually impacts students.
They CLAIM to listen to students feedback- and to give credit, occasionally they actually take action- but largely there is a LOT of passing the buck and always finding some excuse.
While it's nice to have knowledgeable fellows/profs in the anatomy lab, its run horribly. Every Monday we have a quiz (in addition to the quizzes we already have every monday in OMK) over our bodies. The lab is divided into several different rooms (or "pods) with about 8-10 groups of 4 per body. The quizzes are supposed to take 15 minutes but I've seen them go for a solid freaking hour. At 2-3 graders per pod it sometimes takes over 2 hours until you're finally quizzed and this can often limit your progress because sometimes your dissection involves cutting structures that still need to be intact for the quiz, not to mention just having a quiz looming over you puts you in the mindset of focusing on that until you've done it rather than what you're supposed to be learning that day. Very bad idea that they- surprise surprise- only added this year. This is kind of why I say it's going downhill- their latest decisions aren't good ones.
Someone mentioned the student body earlier and yeahhhhhhhhhhhh I kinda agree. Again, is everyone a first rate douche nozzle? Nah, but overall I've found the people here to be shockingly immature (fwiw more than one faculty member agreed with me). Kinda feels like I'm in middle school again. Definitely the place to be if you love drama I guess?
They also seem to want us to be masters of literally everything and that basically involves forcing us delve deeply into really low yield topics. 2 hours a week (though thankfully attendance for this is optional, unlike everything above) we have "integrative sessions" which so far have mostly just been histology with some radiology thrown in. These topics are reeeeeeeally low-yield, but this year just for us (because we're so darn special) they introduced a new special test for us to test histology, radiology, some embryology (HERPES exam for short), and a few other miscellaneous things. The embryology you can study straight off of first aid for what you need to know for your boards tbh (It's pretty simple and isn't very involved), and the other things won't pay off nearly as much to all you time you'd have to put in to study for them. Outside of lectures they give a crap-ton of modules (pre-recorded lectures) and notes to study on top of everything else. If we already attended everything and did this stuff on top of everything else we'd basically be studying straight from when we get up to 8-9 o'clock with no breaks. That isn't healthy, realistic, productive, or sustainable.
And starting next semester, because this administration seems to think more tests is the answer to everything, we're getting tested on reading EKG's. Now, I'm actually willing to cut them *a bit* of slack on this one, since knowing them is important and we'll definitely need to be good at them on rotations. However, this is WAY too soon to be doing stuff like this and we're already being pushed to the limit in terms of how many tests these people are willing to give. Let's go through the end of pre-block week and block week.
Thursday: progress test covering last 3-4 weeks material. Friday: HERPES. Monday: donor lab practical. Tues-thurs (varies) live anatomy (have to physically point to anatomy on another student, takes ten minutes and should be scrapped), CSA (physical exam/OMM), and somewhere in here will be an EKG reading too. Friday: 2 hours OMK exam covering 7-10 weeks of material, 2 hour OCS exam covering the same amount of clinical material.
If that sounds like a lot, trust me it is, but the administration is chomping at the bit to add even more.
For 60k a year with a COA at 90k, I expect much better. I think everyone brushing these things under the rug needs to take a long hard look at how much cash they're forking over before they start making excuses (you're looking at nearly 400 grand if take interest into account. Still willing to tolerate it?)
Not mention the faculty members making accounts here that are so obviously fake it's pathetic. Shady af. Additionally, telling students not to post ther greivances here strikes me as abhorrently unethical- god forbid they actually face consequences for their actions (and sadly, I really do think this is the only way to motivate them to change).
I'll update if I thank of something else.

- cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Another OMS-II at UNE here. Let me start by saying this school has many strengths: academics, community, clinical skills. We recently received accreditation with distinction (the highest rating) from the DO accreditation board. When deciding between schools, keep the comments from the poster above me in mind; no school is perfect and each will have their strengths and weaknesses.

The most frustrating aspect of our school to me as a second year student is the dynamic between the administration and the students. The deans will listen to student concerns but ultimately say things are “out of their control” or “take too long to implement change.” It seems that there always exists an excuse to not implement policy changes recommended by the students. The curriculum committee seems unable to accomplish much due to the stonestance of those in charge.

On a separate note, there are professors here who are essentially holding the administration hostage. The course director for OMK-II, is adamant about mandatory attendance. The deans refuse to supersede because the “deans control the pocketbooks and the course directors control the curriculum.” He has also implemented a policy where lectures are no longer recorded; this is incredibly detrimental to student learning, especially for members of our class who learn best through repetition, those with families, and those who struggle to maintain concentration through 4 hour lecture blocks.

Additionally, we will be losing one of our best professors to another school where he accepted a Dean position at the end of this academic year. On numerous occasions he has expressed an understanding with the students, attempted to reason on our behalf to the other course directors, but to no avail. While I cannot speak on his behalf, I think he was also frustrated with the administration’s refusal to work with students on these issues and this is reflective in his decision to leave his alma mater to work elsewhere.

I hope to give you the most accurate description of our school so that you can make an educated decision on where you would like to end up.

According to him.. we aren't losing him. He may not be full time but Dr smith will still be here and his curriculum is live and well!

I didn't want to make an account but I'll post my two cents here. Is literally everything about the school awful? No, but the bad far outweighs the good and more importantly the directions its heading appears to be for the worse, not better.
The good: We have a few outstanding faculty members. One of our OCS directors is a renowned anatomist (neuro in particular, but he knows his stuff all around), and the faculty is really knowledgable in the anatomy lab in general. Among others is a former cardiothoracic surgeon, so obviously anything involving that area he knows backwards and forwards. He's a sweet oldder gentleman, kinda everyone's grandpa here. Sadly he's really getting up there in age and will likely be leaving the school soon, so bear that in mind. We also have a brilliant cardiologist on staff, so he's good to have around when it comes to that area (they're all generally knowledgeable too, but each has their area of expertise). Anatomy program is nice and long, you'll probably be better prepared in that area than most other schools, but even that needs some dramatic reworking (see below). They also give you lots of opportunities to review things on the OCS side so you can practice/refresh your memory before exams. They do this with OMK too but to a lesser degree. Some schools just say "ok take the test now!" but throwing that in is much appreciated.
The following is mixed, could be good/bad depending on how you see it. We spend a LOT of time on clinical skills/OMM, higher than most other DO schools. If primary care and/or OMM is your jam, you'll dig it. The overwhelming majority of our medical faculty on the OCS side come from primary care and OMM so there's that too. Unfortunately if you don't plan on using OMM (and let's be honest, most of us won't) it's reeeeeal time sink when you could be studying for other stuff. Make no mistake, your Step 1/COMLEX 1 is what you're working toward your first 2 years (the Dean even said so herself), so anything that takes away your time to study for that can really hinder you.

Onto the bad.
A lot of this falls into the category "we're not being well-prepared for boards." Yeah, the school loves to tout their stats, but keep in mind what Mark Twain (supposedly) said about statistics. Students generally do well on the boards (I stress GENERALLY) in spite of the school and not because of it. How do I mean?
A lot of our professors are baaaaaaaaad. I don't just mean not great, I mean "how on earth do you still have a job?" bad. Even a cursory glance at boards resources show we're being stressed details that are fairly into the weeds and inconsequential and leaving out parts that we definitely need to know but weren't taught. Internal politics plays a big role in a lot of things- one of our worst profs is tenured and no one can really do anything about it. Administration generally takes a hands-off approach and leaves things in the hands of the course directors who come and go, and things from past course directors stick even when they're terrible ideas.
Case in point: concept mapping. They introduced this newfangled highfalutin' software program where you're given a list of terms with a scenario and have to map them all out with how they fit together several years ago.
We do this 2 hours every week (sometimes the day before a big test) and it's a giant waste of your limited time on this earth. It doesn't help me learn at all and I haven't met anyone who says it does. We'd be better off having that time free, but the higher-ups seem to think giving us something to do is better than just (god forbid) letting us study on our own.
Keeping with the theme, we often have something called a CPC 1-3 times a month that aims to foster "professional development" or something like that. Once again sounds good, doesn't work.
These are some of the dumbest things I've ever seen in my life. "People age as they get older, write a paper on where you think you will be in ten years." Again, 2 hours I'll never get back. There's only been one or two of them that have actually been worth my time, on the whole the entire thing just eats at your study time (or time to do whatever else). So why do we still do it? It's spear-headed by a big-name geriatrician who holds a lot of clout at UNE and no one dares mess with her baby, even when it does far more harm than the good it aims to on paper (noticing a theme here?)
Another time-waster: team case challenges, somewhat similar to the cmapping. 2 hours a week you sit with your CBL group in our lecture hall and go over various cases with the goal of integrating concepts you've learned. This seems to be the least hated out of what I've just described, but I've met plenty of people other than myself who would still be better off without it. At the very least this should be optional.
So far we're at up to 6 hours a week of pointless time-wasting activities. Without them I'd have better grades, better able to prepare for boards, and overall happier and healthier. Think the school cares? Nah, they love advertising "we have programs XYZ, look at how innovative we are!" with no regard for how it actually impacts students.
They CLAIM to listen to students feedback- and to give credit, occasionally they actually take action- but largely there is a LOT of passing the buck.
They also seem to want us to be masters of literally everything and that basically involves forcing us delve deeply into really low yield topics. 2 hours a week (though thankfully attendance for this is optional, unlike everything above) we have "integrative sessions" which so far have mostly just been histology with some radiology thrown in. These topics are reeeeeeeally low-yield, but this year just for us (because we're so darn special) they introduced a new special test for us to test histology, radiology, some embryology (HERPES exam for short), and a few other miscellaneous things. The embryology you can study straight off of first aid for what you need to know for your boards tbh (It's pretty simple and isn't very involved), and the other things won't pay off nearly as much to all you time you'd have to put in to study for them. Outside of lectures they give a crap-ton of modules (pre-recorded lectures) and notes to study on top of everything else. If we already attended everything and did this stuff on top of everything else we'd basically be studying straight from when we get up to 8-9 o'clock with no breaks. That isn't healthy, realistic, productive, or sustainable.
And starting next semester, because this administration seems to think more tests is the answer to everything, we're getting tested on reading EKG's. Now, I'm actually willing to cut them *a bit* of slack on this one, since knowing them is important and we'll definitely need to be good at them on rotations. However, this is WAY too soon to be doing stuff like this and we're already being pushed to the limit in terms of how many tests these people are willing to give. Let's go through the end of pre-block week and block week.
Thursday: progress test covering last 3-4 weeks material. Friday: HERPES. Monday: donor lab practical. Tues-thurs (varies) live anatomy (have to physically point to anatomy on another student, takes ten minutes and should be scrapped), CSA (physical exam/OMM), and somewhere in here will be an EKG reading too. Friday: 2 hours OMK exam covering 7-10 weeks of material, 2 hour OCS exam covering the same amount of clinical material.
If that sounds like a lot, trust me it is, but the administration is chomping at the bit to add even more.
For 60k a year with a COA at 90k, I expect much better. I think everyone brushing these things under the rug needs to take a long hard look at how much cash they're forking over before they start making excuses (you're looking at nearly 400 grand if take interest into account. Still willing to tolerate it?)
Not mention the faculty members making accounts here that are so obviously fake it's pathetic. Shady af. Additionally, telling students not to post ther greivances here strikes me as abhorrently unethical- god forbid they actually face consequences for their actions (and sadly, I really do think this is the only way to motivate them to change).

- cheers

THIS is the kind of productive information that is actually helpful. For that, I thank you!

Onto the bad.
They CLAIM to listen to students feedback- and to give credit, occasionally they actually take action- but largely there is a LOT of passing the buck.

- cheers

I’m not gonna respond to this whole thing because it would take a year, but I will wholeheartedly disagree that it’s getting worse, and as someone who has actually gone beyond first year, I’ll tell you some of the “time wasters” have wound up coming in really handy in the clinical years. Not everything, TCC has always been a waste and eventually they need to find something better to do with that time, but every school has their seemingly meaningless activities like that. You may not see the utility in EKG reading, but if you know your physiology it shouldn’t even take up much of your time.

To anyone considering applying and reading stuff on here, just remember that you should really speak with actual students who can put a name to their criticisms or praises of the school, and who might have a different view of some of the complaints above. The school touts their numbers all the time because they are good, and they are doing something very right to constantly get new accolades. So reach out to admissions to speak with a current student, you aren’t getting anyone paid to give lip service, and they don’t monitor what current students say to prospective students.

Ruh roh. Start taking screenshots, kids.
These people need to google "Streisand effect" and "parade of horribles."

Posting internal emails is a really bad look and garners little respect. My messages have also been critical of our administration, but you should deeply consider the implications of cross-posting physical documents and emails. Once you put items like these on the internet, there is no getting them back.

For those of you who are still interested in knowing what is going on at UNE, there have been some developments:
  • Several students have scheduled meetings with the University Provost and President following their joint address to the class. Obviously it is too soon to judge how effective this tactic will be.
  • The student chair of the curriculum committee has resigned (presumably in frustration as it was mostly a strawman role).
  • The College has made arrangements with many students to avoid ethics hearings. Students who agreed will undergo ethics retraining courses and a few other consequences. Other students (the minority) who decided not to take the administration up on this option will continue through the University disciplinary process.
  • There has been little emphasis on evaluating the root cause of the entire mess. The administration still insists that the policy is very effective and in student’s best interests. They have promised to share data analyses with us, no update on this yet.
  • Lecture quality has actually been quite decent recently as we completed our Dermatology unit. This was a refreshing change that was generally well received.
Most of us are happy to put this behind us, it has been a long two (plus) weeks with little communication and/or support. Winter (break) is coming, just not soon enough.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current student(s) provide insight on total living expenses in Maine, including shelter, food, etc? Not exactly asking for your personal financial expenses but generally from your understanding of the situation of fellow classmates.

In addition to your tuition, you will likely pay somewhere in the realm of:
  • $500-$1200 Rent (based on number of roommates)
    • 1 Bed: $1000-$1200
    • 2 Beds: $600-$900 each
    • 3+ Beds: <$650 each
  • $50-$150 Utilities (TV, internet, heat, electric); price varies and is highest in the winter if tenant is responsible for heat (and how many roommates you’re splitting with)
  • Typical weekly grocery and gas costs, which will vary based on your proximity
During your second year you will be expected to pay for some prep materials out of your own pocket, as well as Boards registration fees, but these are universal regardless of your school choice. If you give me a better idea of your background and ideal living situation, I can try to give you a better estimate via private message.

If you are eligible for federal loans, you will most likely receive the full cost of attendance (over $75,000, I believe). This number is obviously on the high end and very few students withdraw the entirety of their loans, but is designed to give us enough to live comfortably and afford new computers and other luxuries that are not essential.

For more information on the fellowship program I would recommend reaching out to the school. It is an application based process that starts mid-second year. The teaching component is mostly OMM and Anatomy related, but you will also be involved in student clinic, student exam scoring, and other administrative roles. I’m not entirely sure what the financial incentive is to be part of the program.

Hope this helps.

Posting internal emails is a really bad look and garners little respect. My messages have also been critical of our administration, but you should deeply consider the implications of cross-posting physical documents and emails. Once you put items like these on the internet, there is no getting them back.

For those of you who are still interested in knowing what is going on at UNE, there have been some developments:
  • Several students have scheduled meetings with the University Provost and President following their joint address to the class. Obviously it is too soon to judge how effective this tactic will be.
  • The student chair of the curriculum committee has resigned (presumably in frustration as it was mostly a strawman role).
  • The College has made arrangements with many students to avoid ethics hearings. Students who agreed will undergo ethics retraining courses and a few other consequences. Other students (the minority) who decided not to take the administration up on this option will continue through the University disciplinary process.
  • There has been little emphasis on evaluating the root cause of the entire mess. The administration still insists that the policy is very effective and in student’s best interests. They have promised to share data analyses with us, no update on this yet.
  • Lecture quality has actually been quite decent recently as we completed our Dermatology unit. This was a refreshing change that was generally well received.
Most of us are happy to put this behind us, it has been a long two (plus) weeks with little communication and/or support. Winter (break) is coming, just not soon enough.

Am I correct to say that for the most part it sounds like the current situation is resolving, and that both parties were able to work something out?

Also this may of been answered already, but does this school give time to study for the boards? Or is it classes all year round, because I saw from the academic calendar that the school year ends on July 30th, and then resumes back on July 1st.

Am I correct to say that for the most part it sounds like the current situation is resolving, and that both parties were able to work something out?

Also this may of been answered already, but does this school give time to study for the boards? Or is it classes all year round, because I saw from the academic calendar that the school year ends on July 30th, and then resumes back on July 1st.

Yes, the situation is resolving. I would not say that both parties “worked something out”, it was more of the administration saying “here’s your one opportunity to learn from this” and presenting us with an ultimatum. So while it was a very one-sided proposal, this time it actually served to protect students and our futures.

For second year students, classes began July 5 and are scheduled to end April 17. We are required to sit for Boards by May 31, so we have a maximum of around 5-6 weeks of dedicated study time. Academic calendars are set up that way to allow for financial aid disbursements over the summer.

Yes, the situation is resolving. I would not say that both parties “worked something out”, it was more of the administration saying “here’s your one opportunity to learn from this” and presenting us with an ultimatum. So while it was a very one-sided proposal, this time it actually served to protect students and our futures.

For second year students, classes began July 5 and are scheduled to end April 17. We are required to sit for Boards by May 31, so we have a maximum of around 5-6 weeks of dedicated study time. Academic calendars are set up that way to allow for financial aid disbursements over the summer.

Thats great! I'm glad things are resolving. Do first years also follow the same schedule of classes beginning July 5th and ending April 17?

Thats great! I'm glad things are resolving. Do first years also follow the same schedule of classes beginning July 5th and ending April 17?
Technically we go to May 10, but that allots time for capping (retaking things if need be). Our last normal exam is May 3.

In addition to your tuition, you will likely pay somewhere in the realm of:
  • $500-$1200 Rent (based on number of roommates)
    • 1 Bed: $1000-$1200
    • 2 Beds: $600-$900 each
    • 3+ Beds: <$650 each
  • $50-$150 Utilities (TV, internet, heat, electric); price varies and is highest in the winter if tenant is responsible for heat (and how many roommates you’re splitting with)
  • Typical weekly grocery and gas costs, which will vary based on your proximity
During your second year you will be expected to pay for some prep materials out of your own pocket, as well as Boards registration fees, but these are universal regardless of your school choice. If you give me a better idea of your background and ideal living situation, I can try to give you a better estimate via private message.

If you are eligible for federal loans, you will most likely receive the full cost of attendance (over $75,000, I believe). This number is obviously on the high end and very few students withdraw the entirety of their loans, but is designed to give us enough to live comfortably and afford new computers and other luxuries that are not essential.

For more information on the fellowship program I would recommend reaching out to the school. It is an application based process that starts mid-second year. The teaching component is mostly OMM and Anatomy related, but you will also be involved in student clinic, student exam scoring, and other administrative roles. I’m not entirely sure what the financial incentive is to be part of the program.

Hope this helps.
This is very helpful, thank you! Does financial aid help cover any expense?

Is it too late to submit an application here? I only recently started looking into DO schools, as my premed advisors all represented DO to me as not being a viable option, but after reading about it I feel like I would be a good fit for a DO program. I just want to know if I have any chance this late in the cycle. LM 79

Is it too late to submit an application here? I only recently started looking into DO schools, as my premed advisors all represented DO to me as not being a viable option, but after reading about it I feel like I would be a good fit for a DO program. I just want to know if I have any chance this late in the cycle. LM 79
At this point it would be a long shot without stellar stats.

I just tried, it won't let me start a conversation with you.

Your odds are exceptionally slim if you are only sending in your secondary right now. A ton of decisions have already been made at this point, and I'm not sure all that many interview spots are left. However, you have the stats there to be really competitive at any school if you get all your stuff in on day 1 of the next cycle, if you didn't already do so for other schools. As long as there's something interesting in your application beyond your stats, and you are a half-decent interviewer, you will be fine, you just might have to wait until next year. Unless you have interviews and whatnot lined up this year, in which case go get 'em

Your odds are exceptionally slim if you are only sending in your secondary right now. A ton of decisions have already been made at this point, and I'm not sure all that many interview spots are left. However, you have the stats there to be really competitive at any school if you get all your stuff in on day 1 of the next cycle, if you didn't already do so for other schools. As long as there's something interesting in your application beyond your stats, and you are a half-decent interviewer, you will be fine, you just might have to wait until next year. Unless you have interviews and whatnot lined up this year, in which case go get 'em

I think you guys are missing the part that says he has a LizzyM of 79.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks for the reply. I kind of figured this may be the case. I was just hoping that maybe there would be a chance that I could still get an interview, because I've been hearing a lot of great things about DO, in particular that the student community tends to be a lot more supportive/less cutthroat. Also, like I said earlier I have a good "story" for DO, and I also have several strong LORs from DOs whom I worked with for years.

Thanks for the reply. I kind of figured this may be the case. I was just hoping that maybe there would be a chance that I could still get an interview, because I've been hearing a lot of great things about DO, in particular that the student community tends to be a lot more supportive/less cutthroat. Also, like I said earlier I have a good "story" for DO, and I also have several strong LORs from DOs whom I worked with for years.
I would suggest you wait until next cycle instead of trying to squeeze in a DO acceptance. You have competitive stats for MD as well and shouldn’t settle. You can also use the year to bolster other aspects of your application that are weak. If there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s not to rush these kinds of things. You don’t want to be a reapplicant for no reason granted you don’t get in right now. Just my opinion though, good luck!

You have competitive stats for MD as well and shouldn’t settle.

Why you gotta be so rude? :whistle:

@AlejandroRojas I had a 515. Very non-godly score to your 522. However, I think I did find that some schools will look at your app first - ie, Western, Touro, guessing the well-established schools on the East Coast as well. I believe the interview season is until April for some schools? I'm sure there is still time.

Last edited:
Couple of things-- 1. LizzyM of 79 or not, sending in an application when half of the school's interviews are already completed, never mind scheduled, is not going to be easy. 2. Particularly at DO schools like UNECOM, your GPA and MCAT really are only two components of a much larger application, and UNECOM takes every part of it into account. They've rejected applicants with 4.0 GPAs and superb MCATs because they just weren't good fits for the school.

Whoever said "don't settle", that's actually something UNE looks for as well. They can root out who is "settling" for DO schools, since they tend to be more forgiving in the MCAT and GPA department (though, in UNECOM's case, not by much). If you have a great MCAT and GPA, but you come into the interview and don't know anything about osteopathic medicine you probably won't get in. Not everyone who goes to UNE is going to do OMT on every patient, the school understands and accepts that, but you have to at least want to be there. Every year there are people who "settled" for DO school, and they tend to be the ones who are miserable.

My stats are 3.9/522. Does anyone know off the top of their head whether people have been accepted in the past with apps this late?

There’s a lot of really bad information about the application process listed above. Your scores are very high and regardless of what people say, they are the #1 factor in what dictates your likelihood to get an interview, at UNECOM and every other school. Your stats are well above the UNECOM average, especially for the interviewees coming in at this stage in the cycle. There is a high chance you would get an interview if you finalize your application over the Winter break.

If you are genuinely interested in the school, it’s not too late to apply. It would probably be on your best interest to reach out to the admissions office directly once your application is in to express interest.

Interviews for the Spring are still very much open, the waitlist is not filled, and many students come off the waitlist fairly late, especially at DO schools. Especially given the events described over the past few pages, I imagine there will be some extra wiggle room with a couple or extra seats they are looking to fill.

This was one of the first schools I applied to and I really want to hear something, kinda low stat - 501/3.45/3.15

I would suggest you wait until next cycle instead of trying to squeeze in a DO acceptance. You have competitive stats for MD as well and shouldn’t settle. You can also use the year to bolster other aspects of your application that are weak. If there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s not to rush these kinds of things. You don’t want to be a reapplicant for no reason granted you don’t get in right now. Just my opinion though, good luck!
I echo this.

There’s a lot of really bad information about the application process listed above. Your scores are very high and regardless of what people say, they are the #1 factor in what dictates your likelihood to get an interview, at UNECOM and every other school. Your stats are well above the UNECOM average, especially for the interviewees coming in at this stage in the cycle. There is a high chance you would get an interview if you finalize your application over the Winter break.

If you are genuinely interested in the school, it’s not too late to apply. It would probably be on your best interest to reach out to the admissions office directly once your application is in to express interest.

Interviews for the Spring are still very much open, the waitlist is not filled, and many students come off the waitlist fairly late, especially at DO schools. Especially given the events described over the past few pages, I imagine there will be some extra wiggle room with a couple or extra seats they are looking to fill.

This was not how it was when I was interviewing candidates. If they are still sending out interview offers for applications submitted right now then that guy is absolutely a good candidate. However, unless they have drastically changed their criteria, I think it should be noted that good scores are not a guarantee of an interview, and neither are lower scores. The whole application is weighed, and while yes, low scores may be difficult to overcome, high scores aren't exactly a guarantee either.

Hey all! Excited to say that I'm most likely laying down a deposit for UNE shortly! I love this school and had an excellent interview experience. Just a few questions:

1) Is there any repository or list of fellowship programs that IM graduates matriculate to? IM is my current goal residency, and while I love primary care and will more likely than not pursue a career as an ambulatory provider or possibly a hospitalist, I'd be interested in knowing where IM residents go. I know there's probably no concise, neat list, but I thought I'd inquire nonetheless.
2) What is the current status of the class attendance policy? Some of the more recent comments, while disconcerting, are a bit vague. When I toured at UNE, it was communicated to me that attendance was encouraged but optional. Is there a reason why this topic has been blowing up recently? I'm trying to piece the threads together. It's odd that the second-years seem to be the most vocal.
3) If anyone has done 3rd-year rotations yet and is willing to share details of their experience at their clinical site, I'd love to hear about them!
4) Finally, I'm interested in understanding how people spend 4th year at UNE. Is it a bunch of "audition rotations" at specialties of interest, followed by application season? Do people live in Maine? Would I be able to "do" 4th year from Boston?

Thanks in advance for all of the helpful information! Feel free to PM me or respond directly.

Posting emails is not an SDN terms of service violation. SDN does not get involved in questions of ethics between students and their programs.

While the posting of the email above including the signature may be distasteful, please cease with the reporting as a TOS violation. Students who have had a bad experience are rightfully allowed to post about that. Staff has no way of ascertaining the veracity of any of these types of posts. Please consider this matter closed and stop Hammer reporting this thread.

I'm very interested in this school but I haven't heard anything since I paid the supplemental fee and got the complete email on 9/25...do you think it would be worth calling/emailing to make sure they have everything from me (aka check my status and express my priority to attend UNE) or should I just patiently wait until they review my application?

I'm very interested in this school but I haven't heard anything since I paid the supplemental fee and got the complete email on 9/25...do you think it would be worth calling/emailing to make sure they have everything from me (aka check my status and express my priority to attend UNE) or should I just patiently wait until they review my application?

I would check - same thing happened to my friend and it turned out that they didn't have his transcript. And it never hurts to show interest in my opinion by following up.

I actually emailed them on Monday... I hadn't heard anything from them since August and they told me they had everything and essentially I was still being considered for interview (I'm assuming this means I'm still in for review or on someone's desk etc). It's worth shooting them in email to just check in, let them know you still exist, and are interested in the status of your app

I would check - same thing happened to my friend and it turned out that they didn't have his transcript. And it never hurts to show interest in my opinion by following up.
Okay, thank you so much!!

I actually emailed them on Monday... I hadn't heard anything from them since August and they told me they had everything and essentially I was still being considered for interview (I'm assuming this means I'm still in for review or on someone's desk etc). It's worth shooting them in email to just check in, let them know you still exist, and are interested in the status of your app
Yes that makes sense, it can't really hurt to ask! Thank you for your help, I hope you get an interview soon! Wishing the best for both of us

Anyone know if UNE COM accepts update letters? Just received fall semester GPA and not sure if they receive the updates from AACOMAS or if I have to tell them to redownload my application... Thanks for the help!

Can anyone explain these 'Indirect Costs' further and if this is actually valid granted you get financial aid?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 9.59.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 9.59.06 PM.png
    83.9 KB · Views: 108
Anyone know if UNE COM accepts update letters?

Pretty sure we do - email/call the office directly.

Can anyone explain these 'Indirect Costs' further and if this is actually valid granted you get financial aid?

These are the costs I mentioned above. Most students that are eligible for financial aid will receive offers to cover tuition and indirect costs. The number is intentionally high to allow you to take as much or as little as you need.

Quite disappointed that I've put my deposit here and was so excited to attend but after reading the posts of disgruntled students because of reasons X, Y, and Z telling prospective students to "stay away as if this place is the plague", the high I was feeling after 5 years of hard work has been spoiled, thanks! Will still be attending despite your efforts to trash your own university.

Reactions: 3 users
Quite disappointed that I've put my deposit here and was so excited to attend but after reading the posts of disgruntled students because of reasons X, Y, and Z telling prospective students to "stay away as if this place is the plague", the high I was feeling after 5 years of hard work has been spoiled, thanks! Will still be attending despite your efforts to trash your own university.

Dude why are you and so many other accepted students salty. The posters here are giving their opinions about the school which is good because you want to know everything about the schools. If you choose to attend, cool. If you choose to not attend,cool.

Edit: just a casual observer of this school. Objective opinion right here.

Reactions: 3 users
Pretty sure we do - email/call the office directly.

These are the costs I mentioned above. Most students that are eligible for financial aid will receive offers to cover tuition and indirect costs. The number is intentionally high to allow you to take as much or as little as you need.
Thanks. It’s good to hear financial aid can potentially provide assistance. Do you know when the ideal time to apply for FAFSA is if you’re starting in July 2019?

Last edited: