2018-2019 University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNECOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For first year, the exams are all in 1 week at the end of each block. It includes on monday the donor (anatomy) practical and a live anatomy exam where you are asked to palpate certain landmarks, perform special tests, etc.

Then from Tuesday-Thursday, you will have a 2 hour session for what is called a Clinical Skills Assessment (CSA). In that time, you we take a history, have an imaging exam and then have a physical exam portion where you will perform a physical exam and be asked to perform certain OMM techniques relevant to that block.

And then on Friday morning, you will have a comprehensive exam that covers everything from that block. There is one exam for each of the courses, Osteopathic Medical Knowledge and Osteopathic Clinical Skills.

Second Year:
We have an exam for each system, usually on Tuesdays.
Our clinical skills and OMM evaluations are separated this year. They are scheduled over a span of a month.

Does that help for you to get an idea of the schedule?

Hey, so what’s the daily schedule in second and first year like( what time you guys are usually out of class?)Also, how much time is allocated for board prep? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah because I know it’s an early start date, July. So if it runs until June how much time do we get “off” in between semesters? Is there a winter break? I remember during the presentation she said something about being active during the summers as well but I just can’t recall what it was. Thanks for answering all of these questions!

So they extended the academic year to end in June so that students were eligible for financial aid during the summer months. First years finish at the beginning of May and 2nd years finish mid April.

In order to be able to give financial aid, they have to have us do something educational. They then assigned 400 boards review questions to fulfill that requirement. We just had to do them by a certain date. Really didn’t take that long.
There will be about 2 weeks for Christmas break

Reactions: 1 user
That is correct. The threshold for failing exams is 70 and to pass the class we have to have a 75. I’m unsure about high pass and honors.

There is no quiz policy for first years. The majority of classes for first year are optional.
Okay. So for first year most lectures are online and we can just watch them when and wherever?

Members don't see this ad :)
So they extended the academic year to end in June so that students were eligible for financial aid during the summer months. First years finish at the beginning of May and 2nd years finish mid April.

In order to be able to give financial aid, they have to have us do something educational. They then assigned 400 boards review questions to fulfill that requirement. We just had to do them by a certain date. Really didn’t take that long.
There will be about 2 weeks for Christmas break
Oh okay that makes sense. I remember them talking about the board questions. So they give board questions during that ~ 2 month gap after first year. And these don’t have to be done on campus right? Second years finish a bit early for time for board prep I’m assuming

Okay. So for first year most lectures are online and we can just watch them when and wherever?

You won’t be able to watch until after the lecture happens but yes.

Oh okay that makes sense. I remember them talking about the board questions. So they give board questions during that ~ 2 month gap after first year. And these don’t have to be done on campus right? Second years finish a bit early for time for board prep I’m assuming
That’s exactly right.
Yep we finish early and then have dedicated board prep time.

And those questions can be done wherever.

That’s exactly right.
Yep we finish early and then have dedicated board prep time.

And those questions can be done wherever.
Sounds good! I’ll try to come up with more questions :happy:. You’ve been very helpful!

This is technically true, but I wouldn't consider this a "stable" policy. The lectures are mostly marked as 'Mandatory', so technically you are supposed to attend. I'd imagine if the course directors saw a big portion of the class using this strategy, something like the Year 2 policy would be implemented.

Hello! Can a current student help give advice on financial aid (especially since I'm not 100% sure if I want to go to UNECOM - can you fill financial aid out before you know where you're going for sure?)

And also how they found apartments/roommates. Do the cost of the apartment need to be in a certain range if being covered by financial aid??? I'm looking to live in Portland but everything is so expensive/unsure where to look/live. Thanks!

Hello! Can a current student help give advice on financial aid (especially since I'm not 100% sure if I want to go to UNECOM - can you fill financial aid out before you know where you're going for sure?)

Yes, you can apply for financial aid without confirming your enrollment.

And also how they found apartments/roommates. Do the cost of the apartment need to be in a certain range if being covered by financial aid??? I'm looking to live in Portland but everything is so expensive/unsure where to look/live. Thanks!

No, the way it works is you will be offered a large sum of money that includes both Direct (tuition and fees) and Indirect (housing, transportation, living expenses) costs. Last year the number they offered was near $90,000. You can choose to accept as little or as much of this amount as you want. Any money remaining after the direct costs are automatically deducted gets sent to you via check/direct deposit and you can use it as you wish. The list below might make it a bit more clear, this is relatively recent.

Indirect Costs:

• Books and Supplies
    • $1,000.00
  • Board Exam Fees
    • $660.00
  • Personal Expenses
    • $3,140.00
  • COMLEX Prep
    • $500.00
  • Room and Board
    • $15,000.00
  • Transportation
    • $4,800.00
Direct Costs:
  • Tuition
    • $56,730.00
  • Fees
    • $2,305.00
  • Loan Fees
    • $2,350.00
  • Health Insurance
    • $3,900.00
Total:
$90,385.00
2018-2019 Osteopathic Medicine Costs | Graduate and Professional Student Financial Services | University of New England in Maine, Tangier and Online

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This was extremely helpful - thank you! For the financial aid - I know I can apply before I confirm enrollment - but if I'm not definitely sure about UNECOM and choose for example, PCOM instead - will that mess up my financial aid by not giving me the right package? I know I need to enter a school code to get the package.

Yes, you can apply for financial aid without confirming your enrollment.

No, the way it works is you will be offered a large sum of money that includes both Direct (tuition and fees) and Indirect (housing, transportation, living expenses) costs. Last year the number they offered was near $90,000. You can choose to accept as little or as much of this amount as you want. Any money remaining after the direct costs are automatically deducted gets sent to you via check/direct deposit and you can use it as you wish. The list below might make it a bit more clear, this is relatively recent.

Indirect Costs:

• Books and Supplies
    • $1,000.00
  • Board Exam Fees
    • $660.00
  • Personal Expenses
    • $3,140.00
  • COMLEX Prep
    • $500.00
  • Room and Board
    • $15,000.00
  • Transportation
    • $4,800.00
Direct Costs:
  • Tuition
    • $56,730.00
  • Fees
    • $2,305.00
  • Loan Fees
    • $2,350.00
  • Health Insurance
    • $3,900.00
Total:
$90,385.00

This was extremely helpful - thank you! For the financial aid - I know I can apply before I confirm enrollment - but if I'm not definitely sure about UNECOM and choose for example, PCOM instead - will that mess up my financial aid by not giving me the right package? I know I need to enter a school code to get the package.

I don't think so, as far as I know, schools do not know what other schools you are sending your FAFSA to. At the end of your FAFSA it asks you what schools you would like to send your financial aid application to, you can list lots of schools on that page.

Can any of the current students comment on the possibility of getting Health insurance waiver if you're out of state ? Do most students purchase health insurance through the school ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any of the current students comment on the possibility of getting Health insurance waiver if you're out of state ? Do most students purchase health insurance through the school ?

As long as you have health insurance (many students <26 do via their parents) that does not expire during the academic year, you will get approved for a health insurance waiver. The process is incredibly easy. Some students >26 enroll in the school plan, others use the marketplace for coverage, and others use a spouse, military, or other type of plan.

This is technically true, but I wouldn't consider this a "stable" policy. The lectures are mostly marked as 'Mandatory', so technically you are supposed to attend. I'd imagine if the course directors saw a big portion of the class using this strategy, something like the Year 2 policy would be implemented.
Good point. Things could potentially change from year to year. But unless they changed it for the current first years, I remember the calendar almost always saying optional except for those select lectures that were mandatory.

I don't think so, as far as I know, schools do not know what other schools you are sending your FAFSA to. At the end of your FAFSA it asks you what schools you would like to send your financial aid application to, you can list lots of schools on that page.
Yes that is correct. You can send FAFSA to as many schools as you want without worrying about if the other schools know it.

Yes that is correct. You can send FAFSA to as many schools as you want without worrying about if the other schools know it.
If I submit FAFSA and put UNEs school code can I update it and add another school later on if I get accepted elsewhere as well later in the cycle?

Good point. Things could potentially change from year to year. But unless they changed it for the current first years, I remember the calendar almost always saying optional except for those select lectures that were mandatory.
So generally how many lectures are mandatory per week during first year with the current policy?

So generally how many lectures are mandatory per week during first year with the current policy?
I don't know that I have a real answer for that. I remember it being a once in a blue moon thing last year. I am unsure how or if that has changed for the current 1st year class.

@allanMED15 Hey, so what’s the daily schedule in second and first year like( what time you guys are usually out of class?)Also, how much time is allocated for board prep? Thanks!

@allanMED15 Hey, so what’s the daily schedule in second and first year like( what time you guys are usually out of class?)Also, how much time is allocated for board prep? Thanks!
This was what my schedule was during first year. It is a little different than what the current class has though.

Monday:
8am-noon anatomy
1:30-5:30 lecture

Tuesday:
8 am-noon lecture
1:30-3:30 histology sessions- I went to the first one of the year and then only went to the review sessions each block the week before block week.

Wednesday:
8 am-10am Small group session (imaging, history taking, physical exam, clinical skills)
10 am-noon- CBL session
Free Wednesday afternoons

Thursday:
8 am-11 or noon depending on day-OMM lab
1:30-3:30 PM-TCC which was a basically a CBL session with a larger group of the class that integrated histology and clinical skills into it

Friday:
8-10 am or so-CPC which is basically when we are presented info about professionalism, treating people with chronic pain, etc.
Friday mornings were also when our exams were. The current class has exams on thursdays.
1:30-5:30 PM was anatomy lab- the current class only has anatomy lab on friday morning and they are done after that

Here is my 2nd year schedule:
Monday:
10 AM-noon-CBL
2:30-5:30 PM-lecture

Tuesday:
8 am-noon-lecture
free time on tuesday afternoon

Wednesday:
8-11 am-OMM lab

Thursday:
free in the morning
1:30-3:30 small group sessions for clinical skills
3:30-5:30 PM-CBL

Friday:
free time for SIM lab, preceptorships, actual free time, etc.
1:30-5:30 PM-occasional CPC like in first year as described above

Our exams tend to be on Tuesdays and the past couple systems we have had the monday before the exam completely off to study.

In regards to boards, we will be finishing up school in mid April and we have to take Boards by May 31. So we will have about 6 weeks.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: 6 users
Any first years know if this has changed?
First year here. I can't say for next semester but the past semester, at least 70% of the OMK lectures were optional. I don't know for sure but I was not aware of any enforcement of the mandatory lecture attendance. I was not aware of any conflict we (first years) had with the administration. Hope that helps.

This was what my schedule was during first year. It is a little different than what the current class has though.

Monday:
8am-noon anatomy

Tuesday:
8 am-noon lecture
1:30-3:30 histology sessions- I went to the first one of the year and then only went to the review sessions each block the week before block week.

Wednesday:
8 am-10am Small group session (imaging, history taking, physical exam, clinical skills)
10 am-noon- CBL session

Thursday:
1:30-3:30 PM-TCC which was a basically a CBL session with a larger group of the class that integrated histology and clinical skills into it

Friday:
8-10 am or so-CPC which is basically when we are presented info about professionalism, treating people with chronic pain, etc.
Friday mornings were also when our exams were. The current class has exams on thursdays.
1:30-5:30 PM was anatomy lab- the current class only has anatomy lab on friday morning and they are done after that

Monday:
10 AM-noon-CBL

Tuesday:
8 am-noon-lecture

Wednesday:
8-11 am-OMM lab

Thursday:
free in the morning

Friday:

Our exams tend to be on Tuesdays and the past couple systems we have had the monday before the exam completely off to study.

In regards to boards, we will be finishing up school in mid April and we have to take Boards by May 31. So we will have about 6 weeks.

Hope that helps!
Yeah, thanks! Do you think you have enough time to study and decompress or you feel that your schedule is so packed that stresses you out because you constantly have to do something?

Yeah, thanks! Do you think you have enough time to study and decompress or you feel that your schedule is so packed that stresses you out because you constantly have to do something?

Personally I have plenty of time to go home and relax every day.

Thanks! So in terms of labs, during first year we have about 3-4 hours of OMM per week and 3 hours of anatomy lab?

Monday:
8am-noon anatomy

Tuesday:
8 am-noon lecture

Wednesday:
10 am-noon- CBL session

Thursday:

Friday:

Monday:
10 AM-noon-CBL

Tuesday:
8 am-noon-lecture

Wednesday:
8-11 am-OMM lab

Thursday:
free in the morning

Friday:

Hope that helps!

First year here, I would just like to make a few edits since the schedule for first year changed for our class and I'm sure it would be similar to the incoming classes now too. I know you made some comments on our schedule but I figured I would just lay it out like you did.

Monday:
8am-noon anatomy Lecture (first hour is a quiz)
1:30-5:30 lecture Anatomy (first hour lecture (optional) then lab, obviously mandatory, which starts with a quiz)

Tuesday:
8 am-noon lecture Free time/time that is available to be scheduled for specific events (patient encounters/ interprofessional activities)
1:30-3:30 5:30 histology sessions- I went to the first one of the year and then only went to the review sessions each block the week before block week. Lecture

Wednesday:
10 am-noon- CBL session

8am-noon Changes weekly; may include: lecture, study time, CPC, or scheduled reviews, or some combo of those listed
1:30-5:30 OMM and CBL; 2hrs each

Thursday:

8am - noon one group does OMM
8 am- 10 am other group: TCC/Lecture/Free study time (depends on the day); or this could be an exam day
10am - noon " ": Histology/Radiology session (optional but I go and think its very helpful for exams, others think differently)
noon-5:30: whatever you didn't do in the morning (if you did OMM you do the other schedule and vice versa)

Friday:
Friday mornings were also when our exams were.
The current class has exams on thursdays.
This is true. 8-12 is anatomy with the first hour as lecture (which is optional) and then mandatory lab.
Our afternoon is free unless you are scheduled for the SIM lab.

As of right now lectures for first year are for the most part optional. Depends on the professor. The rule is that the first time you meet a professor that lecture is mandatory and then after that is dependent on what that professor decides. There are only two professors that I can think of right now that have mandatory attendance. However, I do not know how they enforce this policy, it's not like we take attendance. In general, in an 8 week period there are probably a handful or less of mandatory lectures. And then t
here are of course other mandatory classes like OMM, Anatomy, CPCs , and CBL.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks! So in terms of labs, during first year we have about 3-4 hours of OMM per week and 3 hours of anatomy lab?

Anatomy lab is about 6 hours actually per week. OMM is scheduled out for 6 hours as well but sometimes we get out early.

Anatomy lab is about 6 hours actually per week. OMM is scheduled out for 6 hours as well but sometimes we get out early.
Isn’t 6 hours of OMM an overkill? And is attendance enforced or you could potentially skip a few classes here and there without them noticing?

Isn’t 6 hours of OMM an overkill? And is attendance enforced or you could potentially skip a few classes here and there without them noticing?

It's not necessarily 6 hours of straight OMM... Within that time frame we do learn a lot of OMM techniques and have time for practice as well but we also learn how to take histories and review of systems for whatever specific system we are learning, we do imaging (Xray, MRI, CT), recently started doing ECGs, ummm I'm sure I'm missing things but you get my point. It's time alotted for the clinical skills aspect of our education, honestly my favorite part.

And yes attendance for anatomy and OMM & related activities are mandatory. You can't learn any other way than being there for these classes. (From the interviews I went on these were mandatory for those several schools as well; honestly if it wasn't I would be concerned)

Last edited:
Can anyone comment on how the interview process is like? Was it more conversational? How many interviewers : interviewees? Open file? Hard questions?

Can anyone comment on how the interview process is like? Was it more conversational? How many interviewers : interviewees? Open file? Hard questions?
Look through the last 2-3 pages and you can find all of the answers to your questions. My interview was pretty conversational, with a professor and M2 present. It's open file, but neither appeared to have looked at my app prior to interviewing me. The prof even said he preferred looking at the app after the interview, which I actually thought was a good idea. There were about 12 interviewees–a perfect size because I felt like I got to know everyone. No hard questions IMO, but I did get an off the wall question entirely unrelated to medicine. I won't reveal it though cause it was pretty specific and I'd rather stay somewhat anonymous.

Current students - where are common apartment complexes, streets, etc in which students live on in Biddeford (and in Portland?)

Current students - where are common apartment complexes, streets, etc in which students live on in Biddeford (and in Portland?)

There was some solid info re this on the fb pg

would you all pick here or Touro NY Middletown? please try and be as unbiased as you can :)
It will be kind of hard to get an unbiased answer on this thread, I would make a post on the general DO forum to get a better answer.

Hey I know this is early but holiday sales and I need a new one for work...I’m pretty sure I was told we have to get a Littmann cardio 4 but is there any leeway with that? Do people get classics or mdf?

Posting internal emails is a really bad look and garners little respect. My messages have also been critical of our administration, but you should deeply consider the implications of cross-posting physical documents and emails. Once you put items like these on the internet, there is no getting them back.

For those of you who are still interested in knowing what is going on at UNE, there have been some developments:
  • Several students have scheduled meetings with the University Provost and President following their joint address to the class. Obviously it is too soon to judge how effective this tactic will be.
  • The student chair of the curriculum committee has resigned (presumably in frustration as it was mostly a strawman role).
  • The College has made arrangements with many students to avoid ethics hearings. Students who agreed will undergo ethics retraining courses and a few other consequences. Other students (the minority) who decided not to take the administration up on this option will continue through the University disciplinary process.
  • There has been little emphasis on evaluating the root cause of the entire mess. The administration still insists that the policy is very effective and in student’s best interests. They have promised to share data analyses with us, no update on this yet.
  • Lecture quality has actually been quite decent recently as we completed our Dermatology unit. This was a refreshing change that was generally well received.
Most of us are happy to put this behind us, it has been a long two (plus) weeks with little communication and/or support. Winter (break) is coming, just not soon enough.

Hey! Any more updates regarding the situation going on?

Thanks!

Do you have any idea if UNECOM allows deferment? I was accepted here few weeks ago but I am still in active duty. I have two years left of service commitment and HPSP is the only way I know to be able to get out of my contract. If I don't get selected, I don't have a choice but to faithfully honor my commitment. Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Do you have any idea if UNECOM allows deferment? I was accepted here few weeks ago but I am still in active duty. I have two years left of service commitment and HPSP is the only way I know to be able to get out of my contract. If I don't get selected, I don't have a choice but to faithfully honor my commitment. Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Congrats on your acceptance! I would reach out to the school about this. I feel like they probably would because our school is very accommodating to the military. But I cannot say for sure.

Hey I know this is early but holiday sales and I need a new one for work...I’m pretty sure I was told we have to get a Littmann cardio 4 but is there any leeway with that? Do people get classics or mdf?

It doesn’t really matter. They never checked everyone’s equipment to ensure we bought what they suggested.

Do you mind sharing where you heard this? I was also accepted and don't remember seeing this so I want to make sure I'm not missing any important documents or anything! :)

Do you mind sharing where you heard this? I was also accepted and don't remember seeing this so I want to make sure I'm not missing any important documents or anything! :)
It was just something from my interview day and talking with students! No worries you didn’t miss anything

Congrats on your acceptance! I would reach out to the school about this. I feel like they probably would because our school is very accommodating to the military. But I cannot say for sure.
Thank you very much! Will definitely reach out with the school.

Hi everyone! Happy New Year! It's hard to believe this is the year we will start our medical school journey!

I saw on UNE's website that they have mandatory laptop computer standards that must be followed, but there is no more information. Does anyone (past, present, or future students) know the requirements? I have a perfectly functional computer and really do not want to buy a new one, but would like to start preparing if I need to do so.

Last edited: