2018-2019 University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNECOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Specifically I think it was the RSAS Sharepoint one if I’m remembering correctly...
Thanks for sharing that! I hadn’t really looked at that closely yet so I appreciate that info

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are any current students (specifically OMS-I/II) able to provide any insight re: how the attendance policy will look second year after everything that’s taken place? If admin is making any changes whatsoever or leaving it as is?

Are any current students (specifically OMS-I/II) able to provide any insight re: how the attendance policy will look second year after everything that’s taken place? If admin is making any changes whatsoever or leaving it as is?

OMS-I here, I believe the lectures will still be mandatory for 2nd yr. If you would like my perspective on it: I usually attend lectures now and the amount of lectures they told us we would have next year is cut down by more than half the amount we have this year (AKA much less). Additionally, we also won't have as much anatomy which is mandatory first year, (I think it's just neuro anatomy for a few weeks 2nd yr) So I feel like I will have so much more time, but that is just my opinion as of this moment.

EDIT: less than half to more than half (Sorry I'm in block week lol you'll understand soon)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
OMS-I here, I believe the lectures will still be mandatory for 2nd yr. If you would like my perspective on it: I usually attend lectures now and the amount of lectures they told us we would have next year is less than half the amount we have this year. Additionally, we also won't have as much anatomy which is mandatory first year, (I think it's just neuro anatomy for a few weeks 2nd yr) So I feel like I will have so much more time, but that is just my opinion as of this moment.

Thank you so much! Just wanted a feel for how much free time we will be able to have (outside of mandatory lectures) dedicated towards studying for boards.

Thank you so much! Just wanted a feel for how much free time we will be able to have (outside of mandatory lectures) dedicated towards studying for boards.

Totally understandable, I think it will be fine but I won't really know until I'm there. From the second years I've spoken to they feel they have the time (although there are others who disagree obviously, but aren't there always so many opinions to any one situation lol)

Reactions: 1 users
Silly question but how do you handle inclement weather with interview dress code? I think someone mentioned a tour outside so did you bring snow boots to change into for the walk but wear professional shoes during the interview? Like I said... silly question....

Silly question but how do you handle inclement weather with interview dress code? I think someone mentioned a tour outside so did you bring snow boots to change into for the walk but wear professional shoes during the interview? Like I said... silly question....
I just wore black ankle boots the whole time. The interviewers aren't even going to look at your shoes they only care about what you have to say! And your jacket and other stuff can be left downstairs for the actual interview.

To clarify, while the lectures are reduced, they increase the amount “extra stuff” they have you do (SIM lab, etc.). So that’s not an entirely accurate picture.

Members don't see this ad :)

It looks like attendance is still going to be mandatory. But there are going to be some changes in how the 2nd year curriculum is run. I don’t really have details but that has been passed to us in the past couple weeks.

All in all, there is so much less time spent in class 2nd year. I have free blocks of time on Tuesday afternoon and Thursday and Friday morning with which I do what I want. Every once in a while, there are other activities we have to do.(sim lab, student clinic, Simulated Patient experiences, etc) but that is definitely not an every week thing.

All in all, there is PLENTY of time to study for boards and get stuff done. They also extended our dedicated time by 2 weeks to the middle of June. So we will have about 2 full months to study.

Reactions: 6 users

I brought boots and my interview shoes in a bag, and so did others. You will have to walk outside to the different buildings and when I went there was snow and ice on the ground. Many people that had their interview shoes on were slipping. Once I got back inside there is an area where you wait to be called on for the interview and we changed into our shoes then. Smileygal is right though they're not going to look at your shoes during the interview and I highly doubt that will be a deciding factor. Good Luck!!

Reactions: 2 users
For those living in Portland, is there a toll for your commute to school?

I never got the waitlist email I had to email them and ask now I'm paranoid I won't get a letter if they want to take me off since they say you only have 1-3 days to respond

This might be too early of a question but I saw that the student parking fee is $300. Can someone tell me if that’s the monthly or annual fee? Thanks!
I'm assuming annual I cannot imagine getting ripped off that bad monthly

Reactions: 2 users
Withdrawing my acceptance. Good luck everyone—I hope the spot goes to one of you.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm assuming annual I cannot imagine getting ripped off that bad monthly

If you’re having an issue with email then communicate that to them instead of worrying about missing something

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed this past Saturday. Really liked UNE! Any idea if there is any room left in the incoming class?

Withdrawing my acceptance! Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

Their email to all of us on the waitlist said they are only putting people on it right now

I also interviewed this past Saturday and I just kinda find it hard to believe.. there were at least 15-20 others in my group and I just can’t get past the idea that they would bring us all out there just to be put on the waitlist. Correct me if I’m wrong but this just seems kinda asinine

I have already paid my two deposits for UNE and am thankful for the acceptance. However, I am still waiting for decisions at a few MD schools. Unfortunately, UNE starts really early compared to the MD schools. Does anyone have experience or advice about waiting out decisions without missing out on housing, etc at UNE? I don't want to withdraw from these other schools yet, but can't sit around much longer waiting for them.

I have already paid my two deposits for UNE and am thankful for the acceptance. However, I am still waiting for decisions at a few MD schools. Unfortunately, UNE starts really early compared to the MD schools. Does anyone have experience or advice about waiting out decisions without missing out on housing, etc at UNE? I don't want to withdraw from these other schools yet, but can't sit around much longer waiting for them.

Its all about you, finding a place should be the least of your worries. Worst case scenario you can live in a hotel for a week or two until you find a place to live

Its all about you, finding a place should be the least of your worries. Worst case scenario you can live in a hotel for a week or two until you find a place to live
I'm moving from PA, so not being moved in before classes start is not an option. Hence my dilemma.

I also interviewed this past Saturday and I just kinda find it hard to believe.. there were at least 15-20 others in my group and I just can’t get past the idea that they would bring us all out there just to be put on the waitlist. Correct me if I’m wrong but this just seems kinda asinine
People have been going on the wait list since December interviews

People have been going on the wait list since December interviews

I mean, technically people go on the waitlist after every interview group, even the earliest ones. I was complete in August and they only sent out an II just recently.. considering the size of the group, it seems as though there was better reasoning for sending those out than just filling waitlist spots

I never got the waitlist email I had to email them and ask now I'm paranoid I won't get a letter if they want to take me off since they say you only have 1-3 days to respond

I believe you have 1-3 days to accept after you receive the notice, they sent the invitation to the waitlist in the mail (as well as email) so I am sure they will send the acceptance invitation in the mail as well. You should be fine, but I would call the school and express your concern—- they may have advice, you probably aren’t the first or only one with this issue!

To answer all the posts regarding the waitlist and the large size of the previous interview day:
As an interviewer, we don’t make a decision to waitlist someone. Anyone who is put on the waitlist was chosen to be accepted by the committee but the class is full.

The class usually fills up around December with the majority of movement coming in the spring.
Some of my classmates were pulled off of the waitlist on the first day of orientation.

In regards to the large interview day, they decided to try out a larger Saturday interview session in lieu of multiple smaller sessions during the week.
I hope that helps!

To answer all the posts regarding the waitlist and the large size of the previous interview day:
As an interviewer, we don’t make a decision to waitlist someone. Anyone who is put on the waitlist was chosen to be accepted by the committee but the class is full.

The class usually fills up around December with the majority of movement coming in the spring.
Some of my classmates were pulled off of the waitlist on the first day of orientation.

In regards to the large interview day, they decided to try out a larger Saturday interview session in lieu of multiple smaller sessions during the week.
I hope that helps!

So basically, anyone that interviewed here post ~December was automatically waitlisted/rejected with no chance of outright acceptance?

So basically, anyone that interviewed here post ~December was automatically waitlisted/rejected with no chance of outright acceptance?

That is how I understand it. But the student interviewers don’t have any input in the committee meetings for the final decision, so there may be some other process going on that I don’t know about.

Do any current students know when they typically start pulling people off the waitlist?

anyone know whats the deal with the housing doc or facebook page?

For those living in Portland, is there a toll for your commute to school?
There is a toll between Portland and Biddeford. I believe it's $2 to Biddo and $3 back to Portland.