2018-2019 University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNECOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got on II last Friday (8/17)

Complete on 07/19!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Application received on 08/17
Supplemental fee sent 08/21
Completed on 08/22

For the Graduating Class of 2021...
Average Overall GPA: 3.57
Average Science GPA: 3.51
Average MCAT Score: 504

UNECOM minimums:
Overall: 2.8
Science: 2.8
MCAT: 490

Reactions: 3 users
Received an interview today for 9/27! Complete on 7/19.
Does anyone know the post interview acceptance rate here and the style of interview?

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats, guys! I'm interviewing the week before ya'll. From last year's thread, they interviewed ~650 and accepted 400 for 180 matriculants. Did you look at hotels yet?

II today!

I’d like to know this also!

Not sure about the acceptance rate, but we have a 30 minute interview with a team of a clinical faculty member, a biomedical science faculty member and a 2nd year student. It will be very conversational and we are just looking to gather information about who you are and if you will fit in our community.

Not sure about the acceptance rate, but we have a 30 minute interview with a team of a clinical faculty member, a biomedical science faculty member and a 2nd year student. It will be very conversational and we are just looking to gather information about who you are and if you will fit in our community.

what is the best spot for a lobster roll post interview? :rolleyes:

I’m all the way in California. Any suggestions for flights, car rentals, and hotels?? I really want to make this work.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m all the way in California. Any suggestions for flights, car rentals, and hotels?? I really want to make this work.

Congrats on your interview! I have flown to Boston and taken the Amtrak train (~2hrs, ~$19 one way if you buy in advance) to Saco before. I guess the other option is fly to Portland and rent car/take train down? I took a lyft/uber from Saco to UNE which I think was between $10-15.

Quick question about the supplementary questions on the primary, are they using my answers to how many MD and DO schools I applied to as a means of assessing my "commitment" to DO?

II yesterday! PM for stats. Anyone know the percentage of interviewees they generally accept?

Quick question about the supplementary questions on the primary, are they using my answers to how many MD and DO schools I applied to as a means of assessing my "commitment" to DO?
As far as I know, it is just a demographics question. But I don't know if people have ever been asked about it in their interview.

I know I shouldn’t worry yet but if I interviewed and was waitlisted last year, should I expect an interview sometime soon? Or if I don’t get one soon, should I assume I won’t be getting one?

I know I shouldn’t worry yet but if I interviewed and was waitlisted last year, should I expect an interview sometime soon? Or if I don’t get one soon, should I assume I won’t be getting one?

Second this. I'm in the same situation...

Interviewing 9/27, super excited but boy is it gonna be an expensive one to attend... can't decide if I should fly to Boston and rent a car or Portland and just Uber/Lyft? What are other people doing?

Interviewing 9/26 - female looking to split an airbnb or other 9/25. idc if you're male or female as long as you're not creepy. Would also be down to contribute to rental car or split uber/lyft if anyone's flights (to/from Portland) coincide with mine - arriving 9/25 AM, departing 9/26 PM. PM me!

Last edited:
Anyone interested in sharing a rental car for the Oct. 11th morning interview? I'll be driving from Portland

If anyone would be interested in sharing a rental car for 10/02 please let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just received an II here for 10/9! Super excited to see the beautiful campus in person :D

Did anyone interview yet? I don't know how to prepare!

I wonder if it changed from last year's thread. What kind of questions did they ask? Was it conversational or not?

Did anyone interview yet? I don't know how to prepare!

I wonder if it changed from last year's thread. What kind of questions did they ask? Was it conversational or not?

Interviews start this Tuesday. The format hasn’t changed and it will be a very conversational interview. We are just looking to get to know who you are as a person and determine if you fit into the community here.

How diverse is the typical student class? Is there a pretty strong support network stemming from the school? Are faculty typically approachable?

Would it be a good idea to take advantage of the school's offer to talk to a current student about the campus?

Interviews start this Tuesday. The format hasn’t changed and it will be a very conversational interview. We are just looking to get to know who you are as a person and determine if you fit into the community here.

Could you please comment on the current policy for dress code and attendance? I read some conflicting info online. I wasn't sure if professors specified which lectures were optional/mandatory to attend. Thanks so much! :xf:

How diverse is the typical student class? Is there a pretty strong support network stemming from the school? Are faculty typically approachable?

Would it be a good idea to take advantage of the school's offer to talk to a current student about the campus?
Our class is like 35-40% non-white (pretty diverse for a med school I believe), good support network, easy-to-approach faculty.
If you want to have a better idea of what med school life is like, go for the opportunity.

Could you please comment on the current policy for dress code and attendance? I read some conflicting info online. I wasn't sure if professors specified which lectures were optional/mandatory to attend. Thanks so much! :xf:
Dress code is very casual except for special occasions. Attendance is required for each professor's first class and most of them will make it optional after the first time, and yes, you will have a calendar that specifies which classes are required and which are optional. In terms of OCS all lectures are optional as well as the integrative session. Obviously you can't skip anatomy lab or OMM lab.

Dress code is very casual except for special occasions. Attendance is required for each professor's first class and most of them will make it optional after the first time, and yes, you will have a calendar that specifies which classes are required and which are optional. In terms of OCS all lectures are optional as well as the integrative session. Obviously you can't skip anatomy lab or OMM lab.

thanks so much! :)

I haven't heard anything back since they said I was complete on 7/19. This sounds like such an amazing school though, so I'm going to keep my hopes up! I wish there was a way to speed up the process a little :poke:

Good luck to everyone during this year's interview season! Remember that if you get an invitation, UNECOM is interested IN YOU! Make sure you show that you're just as interested in UNECOM! Interviews are a straightforward 30 minutes that'll hopefully feel short. Lots of 1st and 2nd years like to stop by and say hi, so don't be shy in asking us questions!

Feel free to PM me and any of the current students here if you have questions, UNECOM students are known to be very friendly. The admissions office is also really accessible, so don't be shy in asking them questions too. Best advice I can give you all is to have fun! Explore what UNECOM has to offer, smile, tell us about you, and how excited you are being of a UNECOM student! You'll all be great! :)

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewing 9/27, super excited but boy is it gonna be an expensive one to attend... can't decide if I should fly to Boston and rent a car or Portland and just Uber/Lyft? What are other people doing?
I'm interviewing the same day and I'm from Boston! If you wanna PM me, I can help- I couldn't PM you for some reason

II just now for 10/11! Beyond excited!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm interviewing the same day and I'm from Boston! If you wanna PM me, I can help- I couldn't PM you for some reason
Couldn't PM you either, thanks so much but I ended up booking a flight to Portland!

Congratulations!!!! just got an ii for 10/11 as well... now to figure out how in the world to get there! LOL

Congrats to you too!!! :D

I interviewed last year and flew in to Boston, rented a car and drove two hours to the hotel I booked in Saco. Saco is the closest city to Biddeford and apparently many students live around there as well? The flight directly to Maine is to Portland, which is roughly 30 minutes from Biddeford - but the price to fly there was twice as high compared to Boston so I didn't even consider it lol.

I'm really glad I rented a car and drove around though. You get a feel of the area and I had the chance to visit Portland as well, which is genuinely a beautiful little city. I'm from a big metropolitan area (practically everything is accessible by train and bus), so I thought it would be jarring but it was actually quite nice! I think it contributed to me reapplying here.

Congrats to you too!!! :D

I interviewed last year and flew in to Boston, rented a car and drove two hours to the hotel I booked in Saco. Saco is the closest city to Biddeford and apparently many students live around there as well? The flight directly to Maine is to Portland, which is roughly 30 minutes from Biddeford - but the price to fly there was twice as high compared to Boston so I didn't even consider it lol.

I'm really glad I rented a car and drove around though. You get a feel of the area and I had the chance to visit Portland as well, which is genuinely a beautiful little city. I'm from a big metropolitan area (practically everything is accessible by train and bus), so I thought it would be jarring but it was actually quite nice! I think it contributed to me reapplying here.

Ahhh, thank you so much for the info! I think I'm going to fly into Portland because there's a freakishly low airfare (still trying to figure out what the catch is) but will definitely be heeding your advice on renting a car. Can't wait to see the school and explore this area-- it looks unbelievably beautiful! I hope you get in this year... it definitely speaks miles about the school that you wanted to re-apply. :D Let's do this thing!!!