2018-2019 University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNECOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was asked about a book I recently read and why it was important me me, curveball was “if there was a bumper sticker that summed you up as a person, what would it say?” Utterly pointless questions but they ask them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks, I guess being yourself and being confident at the end of the day will help most. Can’t prepare for curve ball questions.

Members don't see this ad.

What’s the best way to travel from New York. Take a flight to Portland International Jetport and then take an Uber? Will it be ideal to book a round trip on the same day? It’s only a one hour flight from where I’m at.

Hi, can anyone, whether someone who interviewed this cycle, or current med student at UNE COM, provide insight on the interview process. What sort of questions do they ask and what’s the best way to prepare? Any specific or difficult questions? Really love everything about this school so far. Thanks in advance!

I’m a student interviewer and I can tell you that we don’t have a set list of questions that we ask. The intent of the interview is to be a conversation to get to know you and see if you will fit in as a part of our community at UNE. Some have different ideas of that, but it should not at all be a stressful experience.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m a student interviewer and I can tell you that we don’t have a set list of questions that we ask. The intent of the interview is to be a conversation to get to know you and see if you will fit in as a part of our community at UNE. Some have different ideas of that, but it should not at all be a stressful experience.
Thank you for the clarification!

Does anyone know long how it typically takes to hear back after an interview?

Interviewed 10/02 and did not get a decision yet! I predict our batch will hear back either tomorrow or by next Tuesday!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
ACCEPTED!!!!! Interviewed 9/27. My first acceptance wow wow wow so excited :D

Reactions: 5 users
ACCEPTED! Interviewed 10/02!

Reactions: 4 users
ACCEPTED!!!!!!!! First acceptance I'm psyched! Interviewed 9/26

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations everyone :clap:

Accepted from 9/27 interview date, yeeeeeeeeeeet

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to bother you guys, but i have a quick question about scholarships/grants and indebtedness. How accurate is this?
InkedUNE_1.jpg

@allanMED15@latinclubimperatus

Sorry to bother you guys, but i have a quick question about scholarships/grants and indebtedness. How accurate is this? View attachment 240973

@allanMED15@latinclubimperatus

So there really aren’t many scholarships given unless they are HPSP or the Maine Scholarship which I’d say is about 20 people in my class. I would guess that is where that number comes from but I’m not sure

So from what you know the reported average indebtedness ($238,306) on AACOMAS for 2017, sounds pretty off right? Because if there are no scholarships and the tuition costs only $60k a year, include the cost of living and interest, you are mostly looking at $360ish

So from what you know the reported average indebtedness ($238,306) on AACOMAS for 2017, sounds pretty off right? Because if there are no scholarships and the tuition costs only $60k a year, include the cost of living and interest, you are mostly looking at $360ish

I don’t think fudging these numbers is something that the school can do, but one thing I will say is that many students don’t take anywhere close to the full amount for living expenses.
And I would assume that there are people in each class that have their school paid for by their family. So it would be my guess that is what accounts for that number.

When do you guys think that 10/11 interviewees will hear back?

I also had my interview on 10/11. I wonder if we will hear back on Friday 10/26?

OMG I'm so happy!!! Just got the acceptance email!! :soexcited:

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed 10/11 as well but no email yet. I'm so nervous D:

ACCEPTED!!!!! My first acceptance! Interviewed 10/9!

Accepted today!!!! so flipping excited! Interviewed on 10/11

Hi all, soon to be OMS-II here. I will be on from time to time to answer any questions you may have. Good luck!
I applied to UNECOM - had my interview on October 17th, 2019. Still haven't heard anything. We talked about my EMS experience, I actually told a story about one of my EMS experiences when they asked an obstacle I have been through and what I learned from it and at the end they said it was a very nice story and thank you for sharing it. I talked about my trip to India for a public health trip and they seemed really interested in what I was saying. I felt like we had a good conversation and I was very genuine and seemed very passionate - but when I'm nervous I tend to feel like I'm rambling or feel like I'm spazzing - people don't usually perceive it that way though. I think it went well but unsure.

My MCAT was a 502. GPA of 3.74. From NY. have lots of experience, working as an EMT at two separate agencies, I work as a medical assistant the U of R basically as a nurse, worked as a medical scribe in the emergency department at a hospital, do community service at a soup kitchen, did chemistry research and was published in collaboration with Cornell, tutored students in various subjects throughout undergraduate and mentioned how I was on a dance team which is another thing I am passionate about and hopefully showed that I am well-rounded. I also went to india for 5 weeks doing public health research.

Considering all of my STATS, experience and how the interview seemed to go - do you think I have a chance to get in? This is my top choice school and I am non stop checking my email. I also sent both my faculty interviewer and the student interviewer thank you emails the next day and thank you letters in the mail they hopefully already received. What do you think? I am going mad waiting.

I applied to UNECOM - had my interview on October 17th, 2019. Still haven't heard anything. We talked about my EMS experience, I actually told a story about one of my EMS experiences when they asked an obstacle I have been through and what I learned from it and at the end they said it was a very nice story and thank you for sharing it. I talked about my trip to India for a public health trip and they seemed really interested in what I was saying. I felt like we had a good conversation and I was very genuine and seemed very passionate - but when I'm nervous I tend to feel like I'm rambling or feel like I'm spazzing - people don't usually perceive it that way though. I think it went well but unsure.

My MCAT was a 502. GPA of 3.74. From NY. have lots of experience, working as an EMT at two separate agencies, I work as a medical assistant the U of R basically as a nurse, worked as a medical scribe in the emergency department at a hospital, do community service at a soup kitchen, did chemistry research and was published in collaboration with Cornell, tutored students in various subjects throughout undergraduate and mentioned how I was on a dance team which is another thing I am passionate about and hopefully showed that I am well-rounded. I also went to india for 5 weeks doing public health research.

Considering all of my STATS, experience and how the interview seemed to go - do you think I have a chance to get in? This is my top choice school and I am non stop checking my email. I also sent both my faculty interviewer and the student interviewer thank you emails the next day and thank you letters in the mail they hopefully already received. What do you think? I am going mad waiting.

With all due respect, I know you are currently in need of reassurance, but I don't think that you should be seeking it from strangers on this website. In my opinion, you are a very competitive applicant and if your interview went well, that is a great sign! UNECOM accepts people well within your MCAT, GPA, experience and region. I'm sure all of us can agree on that. But since none of us interviewed you, I don't think that you should consider our opinion much. But you absolutely have a fair chance. :) good luck!

Last edited:
Complete last Friday and received an II today! UNE COM is one of my favorites. I’m quite excited to already be hearing back. Anyone else interviewing on 11/28?

Reactions: 2 users
Interview invite for late November 2018. Been waiting for this one.

Reactions: 5 users

So usually the minimum time frame that you can expect to hear back is 4 weeks. Sometimes it may be a little shorter or longer. With you having just interviewed last week, I would try and relax and not think about it because you still have some time before that happens.

Also, once you get to the interview stage, your numbers don’t really matter. It’s more about if you fit into the community at UNE.

Hope that helps!

I've been complete since 8/9. anyone from around that time or before received an II recently? Was really hoping for one by now, but have only silence. UNE COM is my top choice
Was complete in July and received an II this week!